Owners, NFLPA should take Al’s advice

Bill Parcells often relays the story of the most important thing he learned from Al Davis.

“Nobody cares,” Parcells told Bay Area media. “Nobody cares about your injuries or your problems. All they want to know on Monday is if you won.”

It’s a lesson NFL owners and the NFLPA (or whatever it is) would do well to heed.

Most NFL teams, including the 49ers, have issued statements to their fans, a subtle way of getting their message out and defending their strategy of locking out the players.

The alleged gag order during mediated collective bargaining was a joke. DeMaurce Smith, Jeff Pash and Roger Goodell could hardly wait to get behind a microphone to disparage the other side, and there was no shortage of leakers for ambitious reporters such as Mike Silver and Jim Trotter.

There hasn’t been a peep out of Oakland. Davis, relegated to the background in part because he helped push forward the 2006 agreement which is the root cause of all the disagreement about how best to divide $9 billion, has had nothing to say.

Both sides would do well to follow his lead, because in this case, Davis is right.

Nobody cares.

Oh, the fans care deeply about football and want it every Sunday.

But they don’t care about how the money is divided or which side gets the upper hand. The amount of time and effort the non-union as well as ownership has devoted to spin is a monumental waste of time that could be put to better use settling differences.

ROUTT Q&A

ESPN’s Bill Williamson caught up with Raiders cornerback Stanford Routt for a quick Q&A.

HUFF TALKING LIKE A RAIDER

Michael Huff is scheduled for free agency upon completion of a collective bargaining agreement, but immediately looked at the placement of kickoffs at the 35-yard line through silver and black glasses.

On his Twitter account, Huff predicted good things for Sebastian Janikowski but didn’t seen overly concerned about Jacoby Ford, figuring the return specialist would just have to start a little deeper in the end zone.

Huff also wondered if he would be able to talk with Raiders coaches and/or scouts on hand for the pro day at Texas.

Whether Huff remains a Raider will depend on what other teams are willing to spend to get him. The fact that he’s getting to free agency at all means they’re prepared to lose him, and they even signed Hiram Eugene to a four-year contract with a nice raise just in case.

The Raiders usually strike quickly and with huge money on players they want to keep (Janikowski, Lechler, Asomugha, Seymour, Routt . . . )

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

What are the chances Al jumps into the 1st rnd ? You can trade future draft picks still.

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

The problem is who would be worth a no. 1 pick in 2012??

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

The problem is who would be worth a no. 1 pick in 2012??

Rush Limbaugh and AM radio manipulate po-white trash out in the booneys, who hate black people in the first place, and get them to tap into their hatreds for the benefit of the Owners.

***

LOL @ Kell

meltdown time, eh?

• Buckeyeraider

‘Morning Hwnrdr and BCZ,

Where’s the rest of the A.M. crew? Are they sleepin in or on strike until Jerry has his IT guys fix this damn thing.lol.

• bcz24

I give up… half my posts just dont even show up. FIX THE BLOG JER

• bcz24

The lack of real football news is driving me batty.

• http://build-a-bully 909RaiderLifer

Anyone out there know what Jerry’s e-mail address is?

We need to fill up his inbox, so that he will see that this gets fixed..

Thanks in advance..

Posted @ 10:41am PDT

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Huff did improve this year, he was decent. he made some huge plays in a couple of games, he also made some terrible mistakes. Huff is however expendable. The horrid safety play we have seen over that past several season has skewed our perspective. He is not in my view a probowl or great player, although solid is a word I would use to describe his season last year. losing him will not cripple our secondary the way people believe.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 10:09 am

I emailed JerryMac, left messages at the paper, with the editors etc. Fix the blog please.
    ———————————–
    This time of year, they lock-down the blog, Ban a lot of people, in order to keep the anti-Davis rhetoric down.

It’s season-ticket selling season.

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

pete prisco says he expects DHB to make a major jump in production this year, I agree. he improved last season over his rookie season, even if it wasnt the leap we would have hoped for. i think he shows up big time this year.

How can a 81year old wheelchair bound man be a General Manager of a professional sports franchise?

***

hates old people, hates white people, hates handi-capped people, hates the Raiders and hates America

Hmmmmm

I’d love to hear the dinner conversation at Sizzler when Kell’s wife takes him out after she gets off work. Ranting about who said what on this blog, defending Al Davis. LOL. she must be a patient woman. she’d have to be and she deserves better – no matter what Dakota says about her bowl cut!

• DKnight007

52.Lynn from Snot Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 8:34 am
    The problem is who would be worth a no. 1 pick in 2012??

^^^^^^^^
    For the Raiders….I would love to see them trade up for DE/OLB Beast Ryan Kerrigan.

On the OL..trading up to get Pouncey would be good.

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

I don’t know about drafting a q

• DKnight007

I think G/RT Marcus Cannon, G/RT Ben Ijalana, and C/G Stefan Wisnewski should be targeted by the Raiders with that 2nd Round pick!

1 of the 3 if not 2 out of the 3 should definitely be there in Round 2 for the Raiders to pick.

• fingers

Agreed… Al Needs to sign Huff.. For the most part Huff played pretty good last year and should get better…also think Al will work out a deal with Nnamdi…settle the lockout…

• YoungAmerican

# DKnight007 Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 10:43 am

—————-

Agreed. If all of those guys are off the board somehow, CB Curtis Brown and OLB Mason Foster could make sense. But if any of the three guys you mentioned are there, the Raiders should absolutely take them.

• Buckeyeraider

Lynn,

There seems to be growing speculation out there that the Raiders might be interested in drafting a young QB to develop.

The Sporting News has them taking FSU’s Christian Ponder with their 2nd. NFLN has his stock rising into possible late 1st.

Seems like somebody mentioned a rumor about Oakland possibly having interest in trading up for Jake Locker.

Kaepernick sounds like an intriguing prospect, also. It seems as if his stock is rising, from a 3rd rd grade to early 2/late rd1.

If somebody they like slides to say NE @ 28, I could see Al swinging a deal with his old trading partner Belicheat.

Might not be a bad idea either, IMO. Have somebody sit behind JC for a year or two.

Although I would like to see them go heavy O-line this year. They need one and possibly two starters from the likes of Cannon, Moffit, Wiz 2.0 or Orlando Franklin.

Luckily for them, it seems like this is a fairly deep draft for O-lineman.

• DKnight007

66.YoungAmerican Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 11:08 am
    # DKnight007 Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 10:43 am

—————-

^^^^^^^
    NO CB or S with that 2nd Round pick….it wouild be a waste pick.

• DKnight007

67.Buckeyeraider Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 11:09 am
    Lynn,

Luckily for them, it seems like this is a fairly deep draft for O-lineman.

^^^^^^^
    I’m not high on Ponder.

Rather have Locker, Mallet or Kaepernick.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Raider QB Draft Picks since 1989:

Jamarcus Russell 07′
    Billy Joe Hobert 93′
    Todd Marinovich 91′
    Major Harris 90′
    Jeff Francis 89′

Those Developed: Zero.

• DKnight007

65.fingers Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 10:54 am

^^^^^^^
    My view is that the old man Al needs to keep either Nnamdi or Huff.

At least one of the two would are important to keep!

• DKnight007

70.KoolKell Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 11:28 am
    Raider QB Draft Picks since 1989:

Jamarcus Russell 07′
    Billy Joe Hobert 93′
    Todd Marinovich 91′
    Major Harris 90′
    Jeff Francis 89′

Those Developed: Zero.

^^^^^^
    And one of the main reasons why they can’t develop a young QB, is because of the revolving door with the Head Coach.

Offensive systems and terminology is constantly being changed and that mind screws young QB’s.

Raider QB Draft Picks since 1989:

***

what about Eldridge Dickey?

post #63 (by me) was actually posted at 1:35 Central or 11:35 PST

• DKnight007

Even taking Kaepernick with that 2nd Round pick would be too high for the Raiders IMO.

They need a player who can contribute right away with that pick.

***

co-sign.

somebody print that!

pete prisco says he expects DHB to make a major jump in production this year

***

he must have read this article:

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

I don’t know that drafting a QB is the biggest need. DB and O -line need an upgrade and if Al sees a player he likes he might swing a deal. I would prefer another draft like last year, taking players that can help right away instead of projects or big upside down the road.

They need a player who can contribute right away with that pick.

***

you’re looking at OL & DB in Round 2 – probably the best available prospect left on the board to fit on of those positions

Otherwise we’ll have guys like Mitchell, CJ37, Loper & Walker in the starting line-up

Jason Campbell may be the worst starting QB in the AFC West stats wise, but he was good enough to go 6-0 in those games last year. He’ll stick for at least another season

He’s only two 2 voices in his ear this season instead of 4. Jackson & Saunders. Last season it was Cable, Jackson, Tollner & Hackett. Grads wont be around to “push” him for that starting job either. Sounds like we’re pretty content with Kyle Boller as #2

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

RR
    Can we give Campbell a full season before we start calling for another signal caller?

***

Lynn and I are on the same page in regards to the draft

and yes. JC gets this year to prove or re-prove his worth to the Oakland Raiders and their fans!

• Buckeyeraider

Kell,
    That is a valid point. They have not had success in developing young QB’s. So, do you think they should never try gain? I don’t buy that.

To be fair to the Raiders, the two first rounders they drafted were mostly undone by their own personal demons.

The Raiders have a bright, charismatic offensive mind in HC Hue Jackson. They also have a widely respected veteran coach in Al Saunders. Hopefully they are on the verge of winning again in Oakland.

This organization desperately needs some stability and continuity on it’s coaching staff. The constant turmoil and turnover have ruined many a young career, not just QB’s.

I’d like to be optimistic and think the Raiders have a talented young roster and are about to go on another nice lil run. Maybe HueJax can last five years or more and develop a young QB for the future. Sounds good to me.

Maybe HueJax can last five years or more and develop a young QB for the future

***

Buckeye,

Tom Cable won 8 games last year and that wasn’t enough. Hue Jackson better start his Raiders HC tenure with 8 or more wins and be the serious contender in the playoffs by NEXT (2012) season if he wants to keep his job

developing QB’s usually starts with a few losing seasons, unless you can sit the rookie behind a solid vet QB for a few years or you draft an absolute stud that starts winning out of the gate … and I don’t see that happening with this current WR & OL group of players

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

looking at the production at WR. Kaliff Barnes had as many TDs as DHB . Getting the ball to the receivers is the biggest task this season . Millers 5 tds led the team that has to change to win.

• ohioraider

Whoda guessed that Coach Davis is a leg man. Heard that he gives special preference to the progeny of moms who have “cankles.” Apparently improves their cutting skills.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

———————————-
    Sure, I’d like to be optimistic too despite 5 head coaches in the last 8 years, 11 head coaches in the last 22 years, but I can’t keep my head up my arse forever, either

Al Davis thinks he’s making a run this year, if he doesn’t, for whatever reason, HueJax will be gone, too.

• Davy Jones

The Raiders haven’t had any recent success developing quarterbacks, but Hue Jackson certainly has. I think it’s likely that a young QB is drafted and fan fave Gradkowski is cut.

• Stak

# KoolKell Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Buckeyeraider Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

This is frustrating. I think I’m done until they can get this site fixed.

How are you supposed to carry on a conversation or respond to somebody if it won’t let you post for 15-20 minutes?
    —————————————–
    Jerry doesn’t want any of the “back & forth” as he calls it. Expecially this time of year, when the Raiders are trying to sell season-tickets.
    ————–
    Not sure which comment is more pathetic.
    Saying Jerry doesn’t want back and forth, which is the only thing that keeps a blog alive, or the especially this time of year when Raiders are trying to sell season tickets, silly take.

It’s a blog glitch, numbskull. It’s not by design.

Who would sabotage their own blog, on purpose?

• YoungAmerican

NO CB or S with that 2nd Round pick….it wouild be a waste pick.

—————-

In what way?

Personally I don’t think there are many CBs in the draft worth the Raiders 2nd rounder. Burton and House might be good fits, but would make better mid-round picks as they likely wouldn’t be able to help right away. Smith and Harris might be good, but there’s too big of a “boom or bust” risk with either of those guys.

I believe that Curtis Brown, however, is going to be a steal if he’s around in the second round. Fluid athlete, VERY solid tackler, has ideal size for a cover corner, and may even be able to help at S as well as CB… both of which are positions of need.

Like I said, if Cannon, Ijalana and Wiz aren’t on the board when the Raiders pick, Curtis Brown would be a tremendous pick.

I simply don’t get it when people rule out drafting any position in a certain round. Especially when you’re a team with as many holes to fill as the Raiders, and ESPECIALLY when you have no first-round pick, you have to go with the best player on the board.

If you start drafting based solely on what you perceive your team’s needs are, you’re walking a dangerous line. If you whiff on a pick, you not only still need to fill whatever need you were trying to fill, but you don’t even have a player who can help your team in any way.

• Buckeyeraider

This is frustrating. I think I’m done until they can get this site fixed.

I’m tired of typing a post hitting submit…and being told to slow down. BS.

If you do get a post through, half the time they’re out of order. Making it damn near impossible to follow the thread. Geez.

I’ll check back later.

Adios amigos.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Buckeyeraider Says:
    March 24th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

This is frustrating. I think I’m done until they can get this site fixed.

—————————————–

• YoungAmerican

Something tells me some team is going to take a chance on Harris in the 1st round. Seems like a good player. Not sure how good of a fit he would be for the Raiders, but he’ll probably be out of their reach anyway.

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

hello

• FinanceO

testing

• FinanceO

Dakota,

I cant post from home. I think it has something to do with my IP address.

FREE RAIDER O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• fingers

Keep having to log back on…yep, that will slow ya down

• FinanceO

we should draft CB B Harris or Ras Dowling in the 2nd, if we dont resign Nnmadi.

• FinanceO

B Harris is a beast!I think he is just as good as Price and Peterson. he just doesnt have their size.