Playing Packers in season-opener would be a good thing

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, April 5th, 2011 at 6:13 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Note: My esteemed colleague, Jerry McDonald, is on a well-deserved vacation this week. As usual, I will do my best to fill the considerable void during his absence.

Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy told fans Tuesday that he and his team are “excited” about the prospect of hosting the 2011 regular-season opener at Lambeau Field on Thursday night, Sept. 8.
He can be certain of that taking place, given the honor is bestowed upon the defending Super Bowl champion. The opponent has yet to be determined, yet you could almost hear conspiracy theorists getting to work on how the Raiders will be the sacrificial lambs.
It has happened before. The Raiders played the host New England Patriots in the regular-season opener in 2005, with the Patriots fresh from another Super Bowl victory. Raiders managing general partner Al Davis criticized the matchup soon after it was announced.
The question is, why? The Raiders knew they had to play the Patriots that season, and they knew it was going to be on the road.
Why not play the Patriots in the opener, when there’s little chance of snow or cold weather – can you say, Tuck Rule Game? – the Patriots likely aren’t in synch yet and the game is nationally televised?
Lo and behold, the Raiders played well against the Patriots and came close to winning the game.
The same line of thinking should be applied in this case. The Raiders should welcome a season-opening matchup against the Packers.
Everyone will be watching, and it’s a perfect opportunity for the Raiders to show that they are back to their old ways, as new coach Hue Jackson promised several times since he was promoted as the replacement for Tom Cable.
Even better, the Packers won’t have the advantage of getting into a rhythm, unless you subscribe to the theory that exhibition games actually help a team get ready for regular-season games.
The Raiders last played the Packers in 2007, on Dec. 9. It was cold, cold, cold that day, and the Packers cruised to a 38-7 victory. It says here that the Raiders would be far better off taking their chances against the Packers in early September this time around.
Jackson has said numerous times that he wants to build a bully in Oakland. Well, bullies don’t back down from a fight, regardless where it takes place. What better place to take the fight to the defending Super Bowl champs than in their own yard.
The NFL will release the schedule sometime later this month. At that point, we’ll find out whether the conspiracy theorist are correct in thinking that the Raiders will get the Packers in the opener. Soon thereafter, we just might hear whether Davis has changed his tune on whether such a matchup is a good thing for this year’s Raiders.

• raiderinpa

Gust372 Says:
    April 5th, 2011 at 9:03 pm
    Rodgers is overrated. Basically, Roethlisberger choking made Rodgers a hero.
    **************
    Do you even watch football?
    ******************
    Word to that!! Also, call it a sucker punch a right-cross or whatever you want, it was Effin SWEET!!… and well deserved!! Gust372 MUST be a Sh#ttsburgh Queer-lers fan to make the points in the above posts… Step off, find your own Queerlers blog to post on… This is RAIDER country, chump!

• hwnrdr

That may not be a bad idea considering who we have. Unfortunately, Russell may still be fresh in his mind (lingering)

• irjonny

i would like to point out gust that there was NO fire on this team till hue jackson. where was dmac in 09? where was our D? we spent more money in 2010 than anyone and went a measly 8-8 under the wife beater. if the freakin dolphins can make the playoffs in the afc east and contend the last few years then for god sake the raiders should be able to. we will beat the pack this year on opening day or whatever day or at least make it a hard fight. we are not a circle the date team anymore.

- MM is a SS, which makes the departure of Huff (if that’s what’s going to happen) potentially a big deal. I wonder why Davis envisions MM as a possible free safety. I don’t know if MM can ‘roam.’

- I dont think MM34 is going to beat Tyvon or Eugene for a strating spot.

***

Hassan & Macho,

I agree with 860Todd Christensen …

“MM34 is set to deliver, I say let him go to it.”

***

Steve Corkran,

please make your first task to get with Jon Becker and fix this freaking blog !!!

• bcz24

I think Branch would be moved to FS before MM34. Branch was cornerback in college wasnt he? I know he had some issues in coverage last year but I think a lot of that was him being so overly committed to stopping the run.

***

Agreed!

Hue Jackson said that DHB is capable of an 8-catch, 228 yards & 3 TD game. I want to see him to that on Charles Woodson …

• DKnight007

Meh. Who cares about the schedule. The schedule is the schedule and we all know it is going to a tougher schedule than last year for the Raiders. So regardless, Coach Huey needs to get this team ready mentally and physically to play 60-70 minutes of football.

Jerry and Steve,

Let’s talk more about the draft who you have you have heard the Raiders may be targeting. There has to be some whispers somewhere.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Gust372 Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 1:21 am

I’d say if Cable were still here, we’d beat Green Bay in week one. To win that game would take a level of intensity that I think only Cable could bring to this squad. It’s going to take HueJack a while to win over that locker room the way Cable did. We’re going to struggle for a long time. Thanks again, Al.
    =====================================================

What is this based on? The team won 8 games last year and was undefeated in the division, returning the same cast of charachters for the most part, from the year before. There were two main differences between last years team and the year before. Hu jack and Jc.

Hu jack & JC took us from the 29th ranked offense to no.6 in the nfl!!! I dont understand why they get no credit from you in this regard. The offense under cable was a disgrace. In the nfl if you cant score and gain yards you cant win. Hu jack & Jc gave us both yards and points.

Cable did nothing but beat up assistant, play favorites, waffle flip flop, and torpedo our offensive line and playoff chances. Davis knew this & that is why he is gone. Davis is right, cable sucked, & we had no shot of winning as long as he was the leader.

• hwnrdr

Bcz24…Yup, agreed! But do we find another Andrew Walter or a Tom Brady? interesting to see what Al does in a couple weeks…

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 4:56 am

Also… heard on NFL Network last night that Kaepernick has an official visit scheduled with the Raiders.

*********************************

That’s the best news I have heard in awhile.

When Jason Campbell with one year left on his contract is your Plan A, you better have a Plan B, C and D.
    ========================================================

The fawning over colin as if he is a better option than Jc makes no sense. I doubt colin will ever be more than a back up in the nfl.

Funny but so many of you criticize Newton for playing in a shotgun offense, but colin gets a pass. You say Newton’s mechanics are bad & colin has one of the ugliest deliveries this side of bernie kosar! You blast davis for loving strong armed qbs and cite that accuracy is more important, yet colin clearly struggles with accuracy.

JC doesnt have any of these issues, he is a polished pro, with pedigree. Colin is the prototypical project qb that may not even stick to a roster.

Picking any qb outside of newton at number 48 would not only be a major reach it would be an inexcusable waste of a pick when we have glaring weakness in other positions. Namely o-line, db, & olb.

There are some really strange post in here at times, and this is no exception.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Don’t judge a taco by it’s price.

• Raider 510

14.Gust372 Says:
    April 5th, 2011 at 9:03 pm
    Rodgers is overrated. Basically, Roethlisberger choking made Rodgers a hero.

——————————-
    MR!

You just blew your cover. We all know only an attention whore like you would say something this stupid.

• hassanusc

Per ravensinsider the Raiders are bringing in QB Colin Kaepernick for a workout. The story sites a ‘league source.’

It might be true. I know that the teams have to notify the league of who they are bringing in for workouts so it’s possible. Kaepernick has a big arm and great mobility. Great deep throws (remember against Cal?).

The part I find confusing is the fact that Al Davis seems committed to Jason Campbell as the starter for the longterm. So what’s the point of bringing in Kaepernick?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Gust372 Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 11:33 am

Mistic, we are not returning with the same cast of characters from last year. Immediately after the season the head coach was fired. Then we got rid one of the best backup QBs in the game, who many believe is even better than our starter. Just like that, we’re already worse than last season. Leave it up to the Raiders to capitalize on a first .500 or better season in nearly a decade by pulling out the ax.
    =========================================================

Gust,

I said we had the same group in 2010, that we had in 09. The difference was Hu Jack and JC.

• 504 Raider

What Up Nation!

I just met and shook hands with Nnamdi. He is right now as I type on the Campus of Xavier University down here in New Orleans doing his College Tour thing for his College Bound Kids foundation thing.

You know I had to ask him if he was coming back. He didn’t give me much info. He just said “we’ll see.” I think I’m pretty good at reading people’s mind by looking at their expressions and body language when you ask them a question. I got discouraged by the way he said “we’ll see.”

***

good point, BCZ.

I think Mitchell & Branch will start at safety. I’m not concerned with who plays SS, because both guys hit like a mack truck. I’m sure Rod Woodson will play the guy who has better cover skills at Free Safety

Anybody who thinks Stevie Brown or Hiram Eugene should start over either of these two clearly does not care about the secondary or perhaps WANTS to see the Raiders flop without Huff & Asomugha …

• DKnight007

64.hassanusc Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 10:35 am

^^^^^^^
    Could be misdirection.

It also could be that Hue wants to see if he can pick up a pro playbook right away and if he understands pro concepts, progressions and footwork. See if he is cerebral and see if knows what he needs to work on to develop him and have him sit for 2-3 years at least and learn.

I think Colin would be a good 3rd Round pick….but not a 2nd Rounder.

OT Chris Hairston would be a good 3rd Rounder, and I think he can start right away at RT!

I still think Wiz, Cannon, Ijalana and now maybe even Gilbert may be Raider targets in Round 2.

Gilberts stock seems to rising.

• Gust372

Rodgers is overrated. The Roethlisberger of two years ago puts that game away and Rodgers is just the guy who overthrew his receiver in the end zone.

• Gust372

• Gust372

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 9:30 am

………..

Actually, bullies do back down from fights. That’s what bullies do, pick on smaller, weaker people, then run for it when they meet their match. So, you could say the Raiders have already been the bullies of the NFL for some time. Either Hue doesn’t know what a bully is, or he just gave a Fruedian slip and admitted we’ll be the same old Raiders.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

Thanks for making it very clear, you are NOT a Raider fan at all.

Looks to me you are just unhappy and lonley.

• Gust372

bcz24 Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 7:16 am

Do you even watch football?

……..

Yes, I do. I “watched” the Super Bowl. And I “watched” Aaron Rodgers overthrow the potentially game sealing TD pass in the end zone.

I also “watched” Ben Roethlisberger, a QB who led his team to a SB victory on a comeback drive just two years ago, choke on his final drive.

By “watching” those two things, I could clearly see that Roethlisberger is his old self, the Steelers win that game, and Aaron Rodgers is just the guy who overthrew a game winning pass in the end zone.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

Thanks for making it very clear, you are NOT a Raider fan at all.

Looks to me you are just unhappy and lonley. Why else would you spend soo much of your life here? Complaining!

• Gust372

raiderinpa Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 8:03 am

…………..

Seymour’s sucker punch resulted in us losing a key player in the most important game of the year, and nothing more.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Gust372 Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Mistic, how did HuJack and JC account for the improvement last year? I saw us running the same plays we ran when Kiffin was here. We’ve used Kiffin’s playbook since he left, and used it last year as well. So, so much for HuJack. As far as JC goes, I don’t think his numbers last year were good enough to be credited for any team’s 3 game improvement.
    =======================================================

Gust,

Kiffin /cable = zone blocking. hu jack installed power /gap blocking, the result was a break out year for dmac. Dmac not only salvaged his waning career but he became one of the best at his position, thanks to HU jack tailoring the run game to fit his strengths. did you miss the story about Hu jack sitting with Dmac to find out what Dmac likes the best? I dont recall any big games from a full back under kiff/cable, yet marcel reece became weapon X. hell even DHB mustered 100 yd game under Hujack city and JC.

However the numbers dont lie. Cable led us to no 29 ranked offense. hu jack and JC brought us to no 6!!! This cant be refuted.

You say “they ran the same plays” ( I disagree for the record), but even if they did, then there must have been something different brought to the table besides just x’s & o’s. The players said they knew the difference going all the way back to training camp. The peculiar yet undeniable “it” factor, or force of personality, or fire if you will from Hu jack. Along with the polished professionalism & late game heroics from JC!

Im afraid although you are not fans of these two guys, even the most salty haters must admit that HU Jack & Jc were the difference last year on offense.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 11:43 am
    Thanks for making it very clear, you are NOT a Raider fan at all.

Funny, I just found 24′s question.

• Silverandblack666

Gust372

You are now officially the biggest douche on this blog….and that is not easy because there are several!

• bcz24

Hey Gust, is there anything you like about the Raiders? I simply can not understand why you trolls even waste your time coming here just to complain complain complain… it is ridiculous.

• Silverandblack666

….oh yeah and one more thing Doucher……do not refer to the raiders as “us” because you are clearly not a Raider fan.

comment #67 was posted at 2:04pm Central (12:04 PST)

***

Hassan,

I believe Al Davis said that Jason Campbell is our starter “right now” and this is his contract year.

He allowed Jackson/Cable to bench him 3 times last season in favor of Brittle Bruce … AD, Inc is far from sold on JCamp as a 5-10 year solution to the QB position

Of course he compared Campbell to Jim Plunkett right after the trade, but he also once compared JaMarcus Russell to John Elway and dumped the bust 3 years after he was drafted!

• 504 Raider

Comment #66 was posted at 2:03pm central.

• Raider 510

This is sad. MR/Gust is so lonely she made another name to reinvent herself on this blog..and still she can’t get over Al Davis, Kiffin, Gruden, and her jealousy over Rodgers rise to fame.

Has anyone been keeping up with the Madden cover? Peyton Hillis is doing some work.

• Gust372

BCZ, what do I like about the Raiders? Why am I a fan? That’s a good question that I often ask myself. And the answer I always come up with is that I like a lot of the older Raider fans who remember when Al Davis used to allow a little help in the front office. Most of them seem to be good people. I’d say that and the fact that my father is a Raider fan, and my grandfather was a Raider fan before he passed, is what keeps me on board. I like some of our players, too. Nnamdi Asomugha is a bright spot in this organization. One of the smartest players in the league and one of the best cornerbacks in the game today. Doesn’t surprise me the Raiders are considering getting rid of him. Which brings me to what I don’t like about the Raiders: THE MANAGEMENT. Period. There is just nothing to like at the Raiders’ headquarters building. Just one senile old man and a bunch of loyal minions. They tempt me to jump ship. But the older Raider fans, and the family tradition keep me on board. Hope that answers your question.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Jackson saying he “wants to build a bully” in Oakland is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard a Raider coach say.

So what are bullies worth and how many games can they win?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Jerry: Two questions if I may.

1. Why are you taking a vacation when your blog is so screwed up?
    2. Are you taking a vacation BECAUSE your blog is so screwed up?

Just asking Jerry.

• Gust372

• ENGLANDRAIDER

You are posting comments too quickly. Slow down.
    Go scr£w yourself.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

62.Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 10:16 am
    Don’t judge a taco by it’s price.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or a jackarse by a title.

• Gust372

That posting comments too quickly thing is easy to bypass. Just keep hitting refresh, followed with pushing the “resend” command when prompted. It usually only takes a few tries. Sometimes 20 or so. It’s never taken me longer than a couple of minutes to get a comment posted.

• Bauce Madness

” I’ll beat da pxssy up up up up up up up up up up “

• Bauce Madness

2.KoolKell Says:
    April 5th, 2011 at 5:41 pm
    It will probably be hot as hell in Green Bay in Sept, and the conspiracy nut’s will blame Mother Nature for “undermining” Al Davis.
    **************************************

Shut up you ole dummy

• irjonny

Gust every coach runs plays that other coaches do. comon man, not to mention you have to know by now that it’s al davis’ playbook. the addition of hujax gave us intensity and confidence. he is a better coach…period. im willing to bet the reason the players love cable is because he is likeable and easy to work for. you don’t have to like your coach to respect them and i doubt belicheck is very likeable. campbell gave us someone who won’t lose the game for us last year and those 2 combined led to 8-8. this year we will do better than that. cable underachieved.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 11:45 am
    The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 11:43 am
    Thanks for making it very clear, you are NOT a Raider fan at all.

Funny, I just found 24’s question.

They got a name for you mr, “attention Wh@re”

12:48

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

So what are bullies worth and how many games can they win?
    ……………………………………….

Whats the problem with this? Do you not get his meaning? Bully as in a team that will dominate the rest. Pretty basic breakdown here. If you dominate then obviously you are winning lots of games.

Taking issue with the way the brotha articulates his point is as bad as judging a Heisman winning 2 time national champ by his smile.

Some people.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Gust372 Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 12:28 pm

=======================================================

Gust,

• Gust372

Irjonny,

We’ve been using Kiffin’s playbook since he was here, right up to last season. All coaches use the same plays? Are you high? The vertical offense is the same thing the west coast offense or a smash mouth offense? I’m going to pretend you didn’t even say that. When Shell was here, we used the vertical game. When Turner was here, we used Turner’s offense. When Callahan was here, we used Gruden’s offense. When Gruden was here we clearly used Gruden’s offense. Bugel ran the vertical. Mike White ran the WCO. And, we’ve been running Lane Kiffin’s zone blocking, ball control offense since he left.

• Gust372

Mistic, you can sit there and splice the definitions and details of schemes all you want to. I can just watch the games and clearly see we’ve been running Kiffin’s offense since 2007. Right up to last year. Heck, we’ll probably use it next year, too. I’ll know when I see something different. Save your hair splitting x and o lectures.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Gust,
    Did you read my post? Again regardless of the playbook, the offense improved leaps and bounds. the only difference from 2010 & 09, was Hu jack & Jc. Evryone else was virtually the same. I know this is a bitter pill for you to swallow, however it is the fact of the matter.