Jackson enthusiastic but predictably guarded

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, April 21st, 2011 at 3:32 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Hue Jackson said a lot of nothing Thursday, but at least he said it with gusto.

The Raiders coach wasn’t about to get into specifics about the Raiders’ draft plans, something he has in common with 31 other coaches this time of year, but he gets points for enthusiasm.

Some of the points he addressed with members of the Bay Area media, which is available on Raiders.com.

The chance of trading into the first round

“I think we’re throwing everything around. We’re not going to leave any stone unturned. We don’t have a first-round pick, the record books say, even thou we think we have one (Richard Seymour). We think we have a pretty good one. He plays for us already so we’re excited about him, but right now, it’s a little early in the process to know exactly what we’re going to do.”

The scrutiny faced by this draft class with veterans locked out

“You have a little more time to focus round to round, player to every different scenario you can come up with in your minds. I still think there’s no exact science to it. It’s still based on need, based on who’s the best player.”

The pressure to duplicate last year’s draft class

“We want to be right every year. I mean, we don’t go into a draft saying, “Let’s make a mistake here or there.’ We want to pick the best player for the Raiders. Obviously, it’s been well-documented, there are some better than others.”

The chances of having Nnamdi Asomugha back in uniform

“Who knows? I’m not really going to comment because I don’t think I can . . . based on the rules. None of us knows exactly what people are going to say, (whether they’re free agents) based on their years in the league.”

The possibility of drafting a quarterback

“If there is one the Raiders want to draft, we will. I don’t know that it’s a position of need as it is a position that we will evaluate as we go through the draft. Would I love to get a younger arm on this team? Yes, no question. But we have other things we need to address, and nobody knows how it’s going to unfold round by round.”

Jackson’s input and the influence of Al Davis

“You’d be surprised. I’ve been on four different teams and everybody has run a draft a little differently . . . I don’t anticipate anything but putting together a great draft this year because of the work that’s put in, not just by coach Davis but our coaching staff, the scouts, everybody that helps put this thing together to give coach Davis and myself the the information we need to make the best decision for our football team.

“I think a lot of people think it’s a one-man show. He makes the pick _ and he should. He’s the owner of the team. But the bottom line, he takes a lot of information from us all. He truly listens to what we have to say, and I truly appreciate that. But at the end of the day, he’s going to make the decision, and we all support that.”

On whether the Raiders held a `Pro Day’ for local players to work out as a group

“No, we haven’t. We have guys in, we’ve had some local guys in, not all of ‘em. I think the 49ers had a pro day the other day, and I think it’s great. As we move forward, we’ll continue to evaluate where we need to go and what we need to do.”

The issue of last year’s rookie class having their progress halted with a lockout

“Is it concerning? Yes. But is it the ultimate answer to it all? No. At some point in time, we’re going to practice. At some point in time, we are going to get ready to play a game. How much time we’re going to have in between of that will probably determine what you’re asking . . . I would think there are a lot of players in the NFL that are working on their skills today to get better. I mean, that’s what they get paid to do and you only get paid in this league when you stay in the league and play well.

“Now, it’s not under our supervision. We understand that, but I think the players are working very hard, so when they walk back in this building, they’ll be ready to go.”

On the Raiders not having a top 10 pick

“There’s a lot of pressure in my opinion when you’re in the top half of the draft. Because you’ve got to be right. You take an opportunity, you make a decision on a player and the expectation on that player goes through the roof. Be it the media, the fans, the team staff, everything. Sometimes that’s a lot of pressure on a young man. I kind of like being where we are, in the middle of a round because we had a decent season. Hopefully, next year we’ll be drafting way late because it means we’ll have a great year.”

The Raiders need for speed

“We love fast guys. I don’t run from that. I want them as fast as I can get them, but we also want them to be the best players when they get ready to play.”

The 2011 schedule

“I love it. Are you kidding me? Does it get any better than that? Monday Night Football in Denver. Then I have the opportunity to back and play Buffalo in Buffalo on their opening day in Buffalo. And then come home against the Jets and the Patriots. You guys scared? Because I’m not. We’re very excited about our schedule.”

The offseason arrests of Michael Bush, Mario Henderson and Louis Murphy

“I’m very disappointed about it. It’s not very Raider-like but obviously there’s nothing I can do about it. The rules wont’ let me talk to those particular players or anything. But I am disappointed. I’m sure when we’re allowed to address it we will.”

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

ET

You’re probably right, if so, the Raiders will be run on, again.

Chuck Bresnahan does not inspire me.

8-8

• Gust372

“Take Ron Wolf, he was in charge of Raider personnel for decades. Wolf helped Al Davis build those great teams, however it was Al Davis that always took the limelight for that success. In the 70′s & 80′s the Raiders were a powerhouse and constant contender year after year while under Al Davis and Ron Wolf’s watch. Most Raiders fans know that Ron Wolf was a huge part in our success. The proof is in the pudding, just look at the stats.

The Raiders only had 4 losing seasons during Ron Wolf’s era. That was from 1963-1975, and again from 1978-1990. Ron Wolf was the man that brought in the Hall of fame players and great Raiders players we know today. After Ron Wolf had departed, the Al Davis’ GM’d Raiders had only 1 season of double digit wins, (1993 Raiders went 10-6). And that season would be the lone play-off appearance for the Al Davis run Raiders during the 90′s until GM Bruce Allen & Head Coach Jon Gruden came on board of the Silver and Black pirate ship.

While under the supervision of Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden, the Raiders had thier first taste of success in a 10 year span. The Raiders won the AFC West 3 years in a row. So, here’s what Al Davis does… First, Al Davis grows jealous of the success of Jon Gruden. Al then see’s that Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden have put a championship caliber team in place. Al then launches his master plan. Al Davis wanted to win the Super Bowl on his own, without having to give credit to anyone else. So Al Davis decides to trade away Jon Gruden to the Buccaneers, & Bruce Allen follows. Now the Championship caliber team that Gruden & Allen built is all Al’s. Now Al can take the credit when they win the Super Bowl. What a diabolical plot by Al Davis. Too bad it completely backfired and bit Al Davis in the butt. The Raiders went on to lose to none other than the Jon Gruden and Bruce Allen run Buccaneers. Since that Super Bowl loss, Al has been in complete command of his franchise and roster. There hasn’t been one ounce of success since then.”

• Raider 510

KoolKell Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 9:52 pm
    Bottom Line:

The Raider Passing game has to get a lot better, or
    The Run Defense has to get a lot better.

Otherwise 8-8.
    ———————————-
    It’s more important the pass game gets a lot better. If we put points on the board, then we don’t need to worry about teams running like crazy. If Tommy Kelly matches his production from last year, or hopefully does better, then I’m confident we can play well enough against the run.

• Gust372
  • http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

The D-Line was a strength last year, and we still were bad against the run.

The D-Line scheme is to all out pass-rush, they were good at that.

If the Runner got past that, it was wide open spaces, with the DB’s racing down-field with their backs to the ball.

Hopefully Woodson, as a HOF’r will be allowed to teach some zone to the DB’s where they’re proficient at it, to help out in the tackling.

Gnite gents.

• Gust372

510, your over the top, hostile response only tells me you know the article’s true. Goodnight.

• RaiderRetribution

six days to draft, seven days until the Raiders draft [as it stands now].

• ENGLANDRAIDER

On the Raiders not having a top 10 pick

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, much better not to have all that pressure of having a 1st round pick and getting it wrong. Lol.

But, I still think Seymour was probably worth it because he brings such professionalism to the club.

• bcz24

priesttj Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 9:29 pm
    If we average 25+ points a game we can win 10+ games with this defense.
    *************
    We averaged 25.5 points with this defense last year against a weaker schedule and won 8 games…

• bcz24

aig-raiders Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 9:30 pm
    Guys that I suspect are gone….

1. Nnamdi.
    2. Huff

Routt is now Al’s boy. If Al wanted Huff, he would have signed him at the same time he signed Routt.
    ******************
    Do to some obscure NFL rule Huff could NOT be offered a contract at the end of the league year like some of our other FAs. His salary increased by more than 30% from 2009 to 2010, so the rule states he HAD to become a free agent. I think Al will be more aggressive in signing Huff than Asomugha.

• Just Fire Baby

Yeah I thought the news of the 30% rule to Huff was good news, in that Al didn’t decide to not offer him a contract, he just couldn’t.

He still could decide not to offer Huff a deal, but it kind of leaves the door open a little more for us in the speculation business.

• hwnrdr

Good Morning Nation! Happy Aloha and Good Friday! Based on rules…what can we do? Just end the dam lockout already!!!

• Just Fire Baby

It’s Good Friday, the market is closed, payday came a day early…….and I will be bouncing around El Paso all day working, than drive back to Albuquerque in time to go a 10pm Police Briefing.

That’s like a 15 hour day, on a holiday!!!!

The downside to salaried, sales positions.

• Just Fire Baby

*************************************

Really straddling the fence there, but seems he (as he admitted at the end) and the Raiders (he hinted to them at the beginning of the draft) want a QB in this draft.

Bring on Kappy!!!

• hwnrdr

Dam JFB…but yes, you are right…the downside to salaried sales positions…

• Just Fire Baby

*hinted at the beginning of the QUOTE*

All right off to the first location of the day.

Check in later.

• bcz24

Hmmm? Is the blog fixed?

• hwnrdr

So far ** crossing fingers here **
    Good Morning Bcz24!

• CJ Legend 34

What does some people expect to hear from Hue at this time?

The NFL is in a hold out —- Can’t talk.
    The Draft is next week ——- Why the heck would you talk?

I think he said all that he could say man.

• CJ Legend 34

****Please Comment Raider Fans********

I still think Al should go ahead and sign Nnamdi at corner. He may not be an aggressive hitting corner (neither was Neon Dion, but he does lock down one half of the field and QBs respect him enough no to throw in his direction. I know his price tag is up there but all of the corners in the NFL that are worth anything demand a high price.

It is not that I am in total objection in just letting him go but we are giving away a key player in my mind and getting nothing in return. Once we free up the Nnamdi dollars I will ask this question again. Who do we go out in get in free agency that helps this team win fro the money?

If we can’t answer this question and we run man to man constantly why would we get rid of one of the best cover corners in the game? That has been proven in our system?

Not to mention Rod Woodson his mentor will be coaching the DBs on the spot. Do you know how aggressive Nnamdi is going to play for Woodson? His mentor will be in his grill every Sunday. I mean come on? Does thatpump anyone else up?

Huff see you later! Misses way to many tackles can’t cover well. Decent but his play never impressed me.

• Dakota

Opening night in Denver and I will be there!!! Confirmed the tickets with a buddy of mine just the other day!

YESSSSSSS.

Wait, what lockout are you talkin’ about?

• Just Fire Baby
  • Dakota

72.Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 22nd, 2011 at 8:13 am
    Is this the confirming Bronco’s buddy??

_________

You do what it takes to see the Raiders play…..

• bcz24

I will be at the week 2 matchup at Buffalo, football gods willing!

• RaiderDebo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Interesting stuff from this Razzano guy. Makes me look at Locker in a different light. Also some cool insight on Nate Davis and Kurt Warner. Love his opinion on stats and locker room demeanor.

• Buckeyeraider

Dammit Dakota, Vegas..

Clicked that link and ’bout spit coffee all over my keyboard. Where do you guys find that crap?

Have a um, er “good time” Dakota!

• Buckeyeraider

Nice read. Thans for the link Debo.

The dude seems to really like Kaepernick also and thinks he’ll be succsessful in the pros. He thinks he might go as high as late 1st/early 2nd.

Either way it’s beginning to look less and less likely that he falls to OAK at 48.

That’s too bad because grabbing a good young QB to sit and learn from JC for a year or two would be very wise,IMO.

This seems to be a fairly deep draft for O-lineman and there should still be quality prospects available in the 3rd and 4th rds.

• DKnight007

The game to go to is the game in Green Bay! Even though it is in Decemeber, but screw it!

Once in a lifetime shot there!

• RaiderDebo

Buckeyeraider Says:
    April 22nd, 2011 at 8:59 am
    Nice read. Thans for the link Debo.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yeah. The OL depth makes this as good a draft as we could have asked for without a 1st round pick. Don’t know if I share his opinion on Kaepernick, but everyone sure seems to like him. Was surprised at his take on Mallett.

• DKnight007

70.CJ Legend 34 Says:
    April 22nd, 2011 at 7:22 am
    ****Please Comment Raider Fans********

^^^^^^^
    Sign Nnamdi and eventually move him to free high roaming safety in about 4 years. He has range and he will get picks.

• DKnight007

Huff is above average. His play this past year proved it.

• irjonny

i’m on the kaepernick wagon as well, but honestly it would be best to wait a year until their isn’t such a qb feeding frenzy goin on. sure if he falls cool, but maybe these qbs are being glorified so much because the good qbs decided to stay in college another year.

Nnamdi will be back imo. no way al davis let’s an opportunity to have the best corner tandem in the nfl walk out the door. and Nnamdi doesn’t want to go.

• DKnight007

^^^^^^^^
    I forgot to add Gilbert and Brewer to this list. I also added the possible TE’s who might be considered also.

Rd 2- O-Line, Wiz, Cannon, Ijalana, Gilbert, James Brewer or trade down
    Rd 3- OLB, Casey Matthews, RT Craig Hairston
    Rd 4- CB, Demarcus Van Dyke, TE Virgil Green
    Rd 5- WR, Austin Pettis, TE Jordan Cameron

• DKnight007

The game to go to is the game in Green Bay!

Even though it is in Decemeber, but screw it!

Once in a lifetime shot there! LOL!

• DKnight007

Yeah Jerry!

You guys better watch out for our boy Rick Tittle at Sportsbyline!

He has the REAL questions at the pressers!

Heyyooo Tittle!

There’s only 1 Legit Center on the roster. If he goes down, you replace him with Veldheer. So, now there’s 2 lineman out of place.

OG/C has to be priority #1. Wiz can do both.

if The Raiders draft wiz. Then you put him next to velhdeer an put bcamp next to walker on the right.

***

Kell & Cain,

what do you guys think of Cooper Carlisle?

He’s in or out?

and what about Walker, Barnes & Henderson?

are ANY of these guys starting calibur RT’s? If so, which of them should be re-signed?

I agree with you guys that the O-Line is still unsettled. Loper & Campbell at both guard spots aren’t guaranteed to dominate or anything. Veldheer at LT still has a lot of work to do, too. Satele is the C.

Huff is gone he’s in Dallas right now

And Nnamdi is deciding to play for The Ravens or Eagles

***

Blackhole,

I predict Huff to Houston & Asomugha to New England

• DKnight007

86.RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 22nd, 2011 at 9:45 am

OG/C has to be priority #1. Wiz can do both.

***

Kell & Cain,

what do you guys think of Cooper Carlisle?

He’s in or out?

and what about Walker, Barnes & Henderson?

^^^^^^^
    Marcus Cannon can play RT and either Guard spot IMO.

He is big, has long arms, strong, nasty and is athletic for a man his size.

• DKnight007

Huff is going to Houston or Dallas.

Nnamdi is going to the Pats, Eagles or staying with Raiders.

Grrrrr….

• DKnight007

Well Nation look at it this way.

If the team loses both Nnamdi and Huff, they may get two 1st Round picks as compensation in the 2012 draft possibly I believe?

• hwnrdr

Huff or Aso…I believe if Al keeps one, it will be only one…and Aso will be here!

• hwnrdr

Huff is in Texas screamin for Dirk for MVP

• DKnight007

I don’t trust both Loper and Campbell starting at the guard spots.

Ugh