More pre-draft Raiders coverage with live chat on Wednesday

Join our continuing Oakland Raiders pre-draft coverage when Jerry McDonald hosts a live chat on Wednesday at noon.

Jon Becker

• irjonny

since you brought up hayneswoth. didn’t he get 100 million through 5-6 yrs??? for a defensive tackle!!?? and that was 3 yrs. ago. no way Nnamdi doesn’t deserve 70+ for 5 yrs. pay him al who cared what the pundits say. they would bash you no matter what you do.

raiders trade up only to get jimmy smith, gilchrest, kaepernick, mallett, costanzo, solder, carimi or pouncey it think

• Buckeyeraider

G’morning fellas.

Did anybody else watch that Bill Parcells draft special on ESPN last night? That was pretty informative. Insight into how an org. runs it’s warroom.

The part I found interesting was when he was talking about drafting a franchise QB and the risk involved.

He said as a GM and an organization you can due all your due diligence, all your homework and scouting and everythng right. But there’s no sure thing.

He said you neverknow what you truly have until he gets on the field and actually faces adversity. When he gets on the field and fails. Gets his nose bloodied and throws three picks in a game. He’s the reason the team lost. The home fans turn on him and boo him off the field. His coaches are lookng at him sideways, and his veteran teammates are watchng him. The media turns on him and grills him in the post game press conferences.

Suddenly the kid who ws the Golden Boy and Big Man ON Campus in college. He was the star in HS and hometown hero starts questioning himself. Maybe even feeling sorry for himself and asking “why is this happening to me”?

Until that QB can walk back onto te practice field and reclaim the huddle and the confidence of the veterans, you just never truly know how it’s going to end up.

It could all go south in a hurry, or you could discover that you have a true franchise QB.

Until you find that out, it’s all just a crapshoot.

I thought it was interesting and informative. Hope some of you guys caught it as well.

• JB

Didn’t see it, just lived it with JaLoser. He put this organization back 4-5 years. Just shows you how important a Manning or Brady really is. Gannon was our Prime QB & had he not been injured we’d have been a totally different team this last 7 years.

• Buckeyeraider

I kept trying to look at Parcell’s “Big Board” in the background to see whre he had players slotted.

He had my boy John Moffitt slotted in the mid-fourth, which is about where he’s projected.

The one I found inteesting was Moffitt’s teammate, OT Gabe Carimi. Parcell’s had him slotted as an early 3rd. Which is what The Sporting News has him graded as well, I believe.

Mayock and Kiper all have him rated a surefire 1st rd pick, maybe even top 20. I don’t understand the discrepency. No way do I see Carimi sliding into the 3rd, IMO. Hell I’d be shocked and thrilled if he was there @48 for Oakland.

• daraider09

I want Owen Marecic. Has this been discussed? Obviously not in the 2nd round. But I also dont want the 49ers to grab him, so it might have to be in the 3rd round. That guy is a pure football player. The kind of player you want on your team. Leader!

• aig-raiders

That was a good show with Parcell. Caught some of it at the gym and if you any of you have a link to that show online, please post it. The Tuna was awesome.

• irjonny

just a clip don’t have the full thing but there are other videos that relate.

i was squinting to try and see there casey mathews was on that board but couldn’t see it. remember that board is absolutely not accurate. no way

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

O.co coliseum?

LOL

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

Could see headlines on BSPN saying “Is OCHO heading to Oco?”

We should be begging for Nam to come back. SKip the draft and get Nam now!!!!!!!!!!

***

Nnamdi hasn’t made a dent in the W/L column since we drafted him

Hard to make a case for paying a guy $17-25 million per year that isn’t a QB imo

Nnamdi deserved $15 per year more than Seymour did. At least #21 is Top 3 in the Nfl at his position!

I just think Nnamdi wants to play for a winner and Al Davis is tired of paying more money than anybody else would for his services, which is probably what his agent is lobbying for

• priesttj

Colin Kaepernick is being interviewed by Rick Tittle right now, the kid said in the combine he showed scouts he has by far the sstrongest arm in the draft. I DID NOT know that….

Suffice to say this kid has unlimited potential, the travesty of Russell(by all concerned) can be corrected with one single phrase “with the 48th pick of the second round the Oakland Raiders select quarterback Colin Kaepernick of the university of Nevada”.

How do you offer Richard Seymour $15 million per season for a 31st & 29th ranked Run Defense and 9.5 sacks over the past 2 seasons combined?

then turn around and offer your best O-Lineman with the 2nd best rushing attack in the league only $2.5 million or walk the plank?

Seems like we’re paying for his name moreso than his contributions to the team. Who cares what he did in New England? Does riding the bus with rookies make a guy deserving of a highest paid Defense player in the NFL contract at 31 years old?

I know “it’s not my money” but it’s also piss poor management & player negotiations

Gallery & Carlisle were a heck of a lot better than Loper & Campbell are going to be at Guard. That’s probably the #1 reason I want lil Wiz drafted if 7 QB’s are off th board when we’re on the clock at #48

• irjonny

priest

on board with you for sure. i’m convinced that when the raiders had him in the building they were blown away by his smarts ability. for sure hue wants his guy and al would love to correct the jr mistake. campbell is a perfect mentor. go get him al if that’s your guy. plenty of OL in this draft. our starting LT was a 3rd rounder from last year. we have bruce and loper at G. free agency is around for a reason and we can beef up line with vets if need be. ultimately you don’t want to pass up a qb you like and see him win with another team. i think that’s the pick tomorrow

• irjonny

smarts *and* ability

Which QB of the Top 10 projected has the best accuracy, fewest turnovers & most starting experience?

GIVE ME THAT GUY !!!

attitude & TD’s can be adjusted. even winning ballgames

I don’t care about a QB’s height, arm strength or 40 time. Don’t care what school he played for either

• Buckeyeraider

TJ and Jonny,

I agree. It could be an ideal situaion. Let Colin K sit behind JC next year. He does have an impressive arm for sure. There was a play in that game vs Mizzou where he zipped a pass about 35 yds downfield, and it looked effortless.

They talk about a hitch in his motion, but he semed to zip the ball on a rope with the flick of the wrist. Plus, with his big arm and impressive mobility he could be lethal on play-action bootlegs and rollouts.

He’s going to need to sit and learn, though. He’s going to be a bit of a project because he didn’t seem to take a single snap from under center…everything from the pistol. Probably have to redo his footwork.

Sounds like a good, smart, hard working kid, too. I hope he’s still there and there isn’t that run on QB’s early in rd 2 that many are predicting.

• DKnight007

TweetinShare0

Print Email Font Resize
    Oakland Raiders draft shopping list
    By Steve Corkran
    Oakland Tribune
    Posted: 04/25/2011 06:59:22 PM PDT
    Updated: 04/25/2011 10:31:40 PM PDT

Related
    Apr 25:
    Transcript: Oakland Raiders draft preview chat, Tuesday, April 26 at noonNFL draft: Previously at No. 48Oakland Raiders: Will they move up to first round in the draft?Tony La Russa’s daughter is an Oakland RaideretteRaiders shopping list

1. Cornerback

The reason: Three-time Pro Bowler Nnamdi Asomugha isn’t expected back for a ninth season because of his steep asking price.

The prospects: Ras-I Dowling, Virginia; Jimmy Smith, Colorado; Brandon Harris, Miami; Davon House, New Mexico State; Buster Skrine, Tennessee-Chattanooga.

2. Quarterback

The reason: Starter Jason Campbell and backup Kyle Boller turn 30 this season and aren’t under contract beyond 2011.

The prospects: Jake Locker, Washington; Colin Kaepernick, Nevada; Christian Ponder, Florida State; Andy Dalton, Texas Christian; Ryan Mallett, Arkansas.

3. Offensive tackle

The reason: Langston Walker, Mario Henderson and Khalif Barnes are free agents, and none is a certainty to be re-signed.

The prospects: Nate Solder, Colorado; Benjamin Ijalana, Villanova; James Carpenter, Alabama; Marcus Gilbert, Florida.

^^^^^^^
    Corkran has the Raider draft priorities wrong IMO. O-Line should #1 on the list and CB should be #3!

• irjonny

Buckeyeraider

got a link of that play so others can see what we see?

if hue jackson can make a playoff contender out of flacco, imagine what he could do with kaepernick’s abilities. if campbell lights it up, awesome. just more time for kappy to learn. qb first league, no question.

• Buckeyeraider

IrJonny,

I’m sure there are probably highlights on youtube somebody could post a link to. I saw it on ESPNU the other night.

They have been replaying a series of college games the last couple of weeks showcasing upcoming draft prospects.

The other night they showed Nevada vs Mizzou from 2009. It was mostly the Blaine Gabbert show. He did look impressive, but Nevada D didn’t offer much resistance. Moch was disapointing.

Kaepernick defenitely flashed some potential, including the play I mentioned.

I also watched a replay of the Rose Bowl from last year Andy Dalton and TCU vs Wisconsin. I was really impressed with OG/C John Moffitt. I wanna see that guy in Silver & Black also.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

1. Cornerback

———————————————
    Really? as opposed to the 10 million Stanford Routt got?

• irjonny

I ACTUALLY GOT A QUESTION ANSWERED ON A CHAT WITH LOMBARDI ON NFL.COM!!!! 1ST TIME. HERE IT IS:

jonny, chico ca
    1:28 PM ET
    hey michael it’s my b-day today!!!! how bout helping out a raider fan since they don’t have a 1st this year talk of their draft is scarce. should the raiders pick kaepernick??? is it possible he falls to 48? seems like an ideal situation with campbell there.

Michael Lombardi, NFL Network
    Hey Jonny, I think the Raiders are drafting an offensive linemen in the second round… so be prepared for that, not a quarterback.

• http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eb53t3&s=5&hid=3&tag=my+pool Lynn from Snot

welcome to the Overstock.com stadium

• irjonny

btw its not my bday lol

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

Broncos DE Hunter hospitalized after stabbing
    Broncos DE/OLB Jason Hunter was reportedly taken to a Detroit hospital after being stabbed in the left shoulder Tuesday night.
    Sources tell WXYZ in Detroit that Hunter was stabbed by his 23-year-old girlfriend, reminiscent of the Brandon Marshall incident with his wife last weekend. Hunter’s girlfriend has been taken into custody, though he reportedly does not want to pursue felonious assault charges. There’s no word on the severity of his condition.

• The Blackhole

Once Mallett becomes QB everything will go uphill from now on, thats right he’s taking us to the superbowl.

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

Jonny, good to know…O-line it is!!

1. Wiz
    2. Ijalana
    3. Carpenter

• RaiderDebo

Why so many of you guys are so excited about taking a QB in the second round is beyond me. Just so we can say we took one? After the 1st round, it doesn’t matter which QB you take. We should just take whoever’s left with our last pick.

• irjonny

saw an interesting tidbit. could the raiders trade down for a later 2nd and a 3rd/4th? would be nice because wiz, ijalana should be there later

post #121 for lombardi’s take on the pick

• Silverandblack666

I am so sick of todays athlete big cry babies makes me SICK!!!

have you seen this from Chad Johnson…Please Please Al Davis so let this prmia-donna turn on our team.

“I love Cincy,but coach Lewis is mean to me now so I think I am gone,” Ochocinco tweeted. “He has gone over board to publicly chastize the one guy who loves him i’m so hurt. . . . y’all ever lost somebody you felt was close to u but they flip on you without giving u the script.Marvin Lewis hurt my feelings.”

Could you imagine Dick Butkis or Lyle Alzado crying like this?

Where is your pride Chad?

• Silverandblack666

Please Please Al Davis so let this prmia-donna turn on our team.

I meant

DO NOT LET THIS TURD ON OUR TEAM!!!

• DutchRaider77

welcome to the Overstock.com stadium

______________________________________________________

“Well fans, [Al Davis] has done a little redecorating around the ballpark. The outfield walls now look like the yellow pages. And any of you folks having trouble finding a good proctologist, might want to come down here and check out the area around the 375 foot sign.”

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

Rotoworlds 2nd RD. Mock Draft

48. Raiders: Rodney Hudson, center, Florida State.

Al Davis will love Hudson’s athleticism and decorated college career.

• CJ Legend 34

RR You are my dude but come on now. Money no one else
    in the league will pay for him? Are you serious? Did you see how much corners are making these days? I hate the fact he does not get a interception each game and he may not come up and knock anyone out but you can’t argue when he is out on the field he takes half the field away from the opponent.

Also look at what the Raiders ask a DB to do an entire game? They have to play man to man pretty much from sun up to sun down. No zone stuff. They are on an island. What othe DB can come in and play better than Nnamdi right now?
    ————————————————-
    110.RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 9:23 am

***

Nnamdi hasn’t made a dent in the W/L column since we drafted him

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Overstock Stadium half empty. Lol.

• CJ Legend 34

I will go one more!

Nnamdi is the best player on the team for his position bar none! Seymour is a close second.

I mean we break the bank on a bunch of nobodys then when a guy masters his position and makes the big bucks we cut him?

We gave a half @$$ player like Routt 10 mill to get burned! One decent year not great year and 10 mill. What???

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Seymour is worth the money. Figure a 1st rounder would get that much and it’s a crapshoot whether he turns out to be a stud. Gallery has been a good but not spectacular player who is injury prone with a bad back. IMHO

• CJ Legend 34

129. SB – I saw it! That is why I wrote this earlier…..

86.CJ Legend 34 Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 7:26 am
    *****No Chad Johnson for Al Davis***************
    I said yesterday that I thought Al would pick up Chad Johnson and reunite him with Hue, but today I say not a chance! Why? Because I really think Al learned his lesson with free agents such as Walker, Hall, Moss and our rookie that everyone loves to hate Russell. I think at one time Al would have jumped all over a guy that use to be “Mr. It” with a bad attitude but not anymore. I think the organization as a whole has started to realize how not drafting character guys or bringing in high character guys hurt this team.

Also, Owens was an available big possession WR, which we needed more desperately last year than this year and Al never pulled the trigger. Not even a visit or a thinking about it, nothing!

Lastly, I think Al likes the young guys developing on the team after a great draft last year. No more locker room cancers for Al. If he does bring in another group of veterans expect for them to be mentoring or team player types of guys like Rock Cartwright, or Richard Seymour.

—————————————————-

129.Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 11:01 am
    I am so sick of todays athlete big cry babies makes me SICK!!!

Could you imagine Dick Butkis or Lyle Alzado crying like this?

Where is your pride Chad?

Can you hear the commercials? Get your Raider Tickets for pennies on the dollar at Overstock.com

• CJ Legend 34

136.exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 11:16 am

——————————————-

I agree! They talk to the Drs they know when a player is about to go down hill. Gallery has been decent but not great. I think if he would have lived up to his draft money they had to pay earlier in his career they would have given him more. Gallery made a lot of money up front when he was not that good at all. Out of position or not he was not helping the team.

Al made him rich it was his time to go.

• DutchRaider77

@CJ Legend 34
    Are you a little dissappointed at times that Aso does not cover the best receiver, but covers the receiver that is put on his side?

• DutchRaider77

@CJ
    No Chad Johnson, ok. How about Steve Smith?

• edward teach

Priest,

To address your point from last night… there aren’t many slam-dunks, ever, in the NFL Draft. I see your point about QB vs. O-line in round 2, and I respect that. Trust me, if we take a QB there I’ll be on board.

My point is, that QB of all positions is a hit-or-miss proposition. You can take a lineman early and unless you totally blow it the guy’s probably going to start for you and be at least pretty good for awhile. We need help on the o-line, obviously. I guess I’m a little more sketchy about the QBs in this draft than you are, and think that it’s a whole lot less risky to take an o-lineman early in this draft than it is a QB.

If we take a QB early I will hope like heck that I’m wrong about that.

• irjonny

imo we have DHB/Schilens, Murphy/Ford, all our guys are young and the raiders want them to start and succeed. steve smith would be expected to start all year. not what the raiders want. santana moss is older, can mentor, can come in when needed, knows campbell, won’t whine, and will be cheap. i think that’s our guy at wr in free agency. DHBs third year is not the year you give up on him as an owner, he will start

• priesttj

Debo what would you do to get Russell back on this team? In good standing!! Kap is a work in progress and doesn’t quite have the skill set but he aint far behind. Talent wise their almost equals Russell was just a bit more skilled but Kap is faster a better leader and just as competitive when the game is on the line. This kid is a fiery competitor and can match Russell throw for throw in arm strength.

If you told me I could get a fired up ready to work JaMarcus Russell I’d take him over probably 80% of the starting QB’s in this league. Well this kid Kappy in 2 years could be at that level IMO. I’ll give up any Olineman in this or any other draft for a top 5 QB in the NFL.

There isn’t an Olineman in this draft better at his position than Kappy is at his, not one.

I do respect Gallery. He restructed his contract twice to free up cap space. Just has an inflated sense of worth.
    Seymour gives the D line a player that needs to be dbl teamed. Also someone to give Big Ben a smack.

• Nnamdi21

Oh my GAAAAAAAWD!!!

Is there a Raider O line EMERGENCY?

It can’t be this bad right?

• priesttj

ET I understand why you and most people want the Oline pick trust me I get it…….I want the Oline fixed too, more than anyone. But you don’t get many chances to draft a special talent at that position in the second round. I wish the word wasn’t out on Kappy as much as it is but, it is what it is. I also like Locker if he falls I’ll take him in a heartbeat. But the Oline in this draft is WEAK!!

Most of you love Wiz kid but IMO he is a 3rd or 4th rndr he just has name recognition. If he were as good ass his uncle OK, but he aint. I would much prefer to get this young QB in the stable and not have to wory about it anymore and then proceed to biult the rest of the team with the comfort of having the QB position secure for the future.

• edward teach

Priest,

I agree about young Wiz. I don’t think he’s the guy for us.

You’re high on the two QBs and if we take one of them I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

We’ll know pretty soon!

• DutchRaider77

@priesttj
    Depending on what…
    Would you advocate to trade some of next year’s picks to move up/or get additional picks this year to draft Kappy?

• DKnight007

120.KoolKell Says:
    April 27th, 2011 at 10:32 am
    1. Cornerback

———————————————
    Really? as opposed to the 10 million Stanford Routt got?

^^^^^^^