Hue Jackson press session highlights

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, April 28th, 2011 at 10:06 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders did not have a selection in the first round of the NFL draft for the first time since 1989 and are scheduled to pick at No. 48 Friday.

Raiders coach Hue Jackson said he and owner Al Davis considered several opportunities, but none of them was the right fit. He reiterated the Raiders already have their first round pick _ Richard Seymour, who cost Oakland the No. 17 selection the Patriots used to pick offensive tackle Nate Solder out of Colorado.

Some of the things addressed by Jackson regarding the first round and players beginning to return to work Friday:

The scene in the draft room

“There was so much phone-calling going on in that room like you wouldn’t believe. There were a lot of opportunities but nothing that really fit for us . . . obviously the player has to be there when you want to trade with somebody, and there were several phone calls made but it just didn’t fit for us at this time.’’

The experience of running a draft with Davis

“Just seeing the different dynamics that happen, getting a phone call, talking to him saying, `Hey, what do you think about this? What do you think about that? `No.’ Then we talk about a few more things. `Maybe.’ Then we talk about a few more things. `No way.’

The position in the draft of teams that called

“Oh you’d be surprised. A little bit of everywhere. I think a lot of people wanted to get out of the first round.
“ It’s a different type of draft obviously because of what’s been going on so I think a lot of teams wanted to make sure that value of a player was very important, so I think from everywhere there was about every team really truly discussing trying to move out of it and some teams were trying to move in.’’

The confluence of the draft and return of players to work

“I love chaos. Bring it on. That’s probably when I’m at my best. I love it. All kinds of stuff was flying around today, right? We get our players back. All of a sudden they say ‘Hey you get to talk to them now,’ and that’s what we did. We tried to talk to every last one of them or text them. We did it all today.
“I tried to call every last one of them. I called them. I texted them. I got calls back. We did it today.’’

What is expected of players upon arrival

“When they get here they’ll start getting acclimated to our offseason program, getting acclimated to our coaches, just get back into football, just being back in the building and us getting to know them, them getting to know us and starting this process on our journey toward our goal.’’

On timing of the first minicamp

“I don’t know . . . there’s still some rules that need to come down from the league. I came right out of the draft room and all of a sudden they grab me and say you got go downstairs. I didn’t get to read anything else. My thing is once I find out about all the different rules that’s going to be in effect for what we’re trying to accomplish with the league, you know, we’re going to do everything the right way, then we’ll make that decision about when minicamp will be and when OTAs will be and all the different things we have to do.’’

No discussion of labor situation with players

“There’s not been one player that I talked to that even mentioned the lockout. The players I talked to are excited and ‘Coach, I am there. I’m all in. When do you want me to be there? When can I get there? What do I need to do? Who do I need to talk to? Let’s schedule a flight, and get me there.’ And I think that’s what’s most important. I think all of our players are very excited about where we’re headed.”

On how much time was actually missed by veterans

“There’s some offseason time that has been lost as far as conditioning. Again, pros in this league understand what they need to do to get ready to play. I think every player’s been training. Has he been training under the watchful eye of somebody within the organization? No. But I think a pro football player knows what his job is.

“And if he wants to continue to make the money and support his family, he has to make sure his corporation is ready to go perform. And I think that’s what they do. I think they prepare themselves.’’

Timeline on the arrival of players

“I think they’ll be trickling in. It’s like anything, you call ‘em, and there are some guys that still have some loose ends to tie up. Again, the word I love to use is fluid . . . What I said to our players, I want to see you in this building at some point in time next week. I think our guys will get here.

“They’re excited about getting here and they’re doing everything they can to be here by Monday because that’s when our team will start, it’s when our offseason program will begin.

Whether he’s confident about getting the player they’ve targeted at No. 48

“I feel pretty good. I mean, there’s still a lot of good players on that board, a lot of guys that we evaluated and are sitting there for us. This is a process, it can change, you can wake up in the morning and after our first pick the whole board can go upside down or it can stay consistent and just keep on flowing. But there’s a lot of good players from the Raiders to choose from starting tomorrow.’’

• HairyBush

imagine getting kaepernick, greg little and wiz in rnd 2. we have the power with our 1st next year.

———————–
    interesting

• HairyBush

We need to firm up the O-line before we go QB, a guy like Mallett will be slaughtered if we don’t improve our pass protection.
    —————
    true

• HairyBush

Clausen makes a good pickle, lousy Quarterback

• inonewordraider

heard phill simms say this morning that the only two quarterbacks that are basically worth a sh in this draft are newton and mallett

• HairyBush

Phil Simms word means nothing, He still has nightmares about Jeff hostettler.

• Silverandblack666

I am surprised we have not made a move to get an additional second round pick?

• El Tato

• irjonny

it’s public knowledge that the pats want out of 33rd pick.

raiders could get that pick and one of their other 2nds with our 1st next year per the value chart.

we could get kappy at 33
    get little at 48
    and wiz at 60
    then mathews/moffit at 81

trade murphy for a 3rd or o-line castoff

DHB,LITTLE,FORD

if DHB struggles then we have LITTLE,FORD,SCHILENS

sounds awesome to me

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 8:41 am
    I am surprised we have not made a move to get an additional second round pick?
    ————

I know ha…

• El Tato

I dont think we can get Kaepernick without trading up, WAS, ARI, BUF, MIA and CIN need a QB

• inonewordraider

is Al hurting for money a little? I know Kam Wimbley and Routt got ridiculous contracts but not locking up Huff and Nnamdi with no first round pick supercontract? seems like he woulda done it in past years

• Silverandblack666

Severeraiderz

“What happened when Martz became head coach”

Is he still a head coach in the NFL?

What happened?

Many many times a great prospect moves from D- coordinator or O-coordinator then fails miserably at being a HEAD COACH.

If I have to spell this out for you then you have a very low Football IQ.

So for the last time lets not crown Hue jack until he wins more than 8 games next year.

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

What would we have to give up for a (to get) 2nd rd pick?

• irjonny

by the way jason la canfora is saying we expect a ruling on stay from 8th circuit today. may have instant free agency

• irjonny

i think we need more picks this year to make this team better.

pats want out of 33

33 is a perfect spot to get our qb that i think hue and davis want

most importantly don’t give up this years draft picks imo we can do without a 1st because we always have this option next year.

trade our 2012 1st (value 1100-780)

get pats 33rd (value 580)
    get pats 60th (value 300) or pats 3rd rnder 74th (220)

then we have

2nd round
    -33rd
    -48th
    -60th

or
    -33rd
    -48th
    and 3rd
    -60th
    -81st

more picks, more players to get this team to playoffs now!!!

here’s the value chart. if raiders want kappy (which we know they do) they must get pats 33rd pick

• The Blackhole

Goodell:With the 1st….
    Fans:BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Goodell:I hear ya.

LOL

• El Tato

At this point of the season probably Al Davis alredy wants to fire HC Hue Jackson

• Bauce Rules

Al and company stayed put for 1st round was the highlight of the night. I’m so happy we werent desperate. Oh yeah what about swirling trade up rumors by Mike Lombardi? Lol that loser isnt on the inside here

• hassanusc

I’m a physician, and personally I’m perplexed by Da’Quan Bowers slipping this far. First there rumors that he had degenerative joint disease (osteoarthritis) which ended up being false; then people were saying he had ‘bone on bone’…which is what has stuck with him into the draft. He had a single meniscal surgery with microfracture techniques. Dr. James Andrews consults on him and has gone and the record and said he will be fine.

Bowers’ poor performance on his Pro Day was as consequence of him being deconditioned, NOT a problem with ‘bone on bone.’ He has cartilage.

Ultimately, all elite athletes end up with cartilage damage. Kobe Bryant has already had 3 cartilage surgeries, and basketball generates more torque on the knee than football.

Whoever gets this kid Bowers in the 2nd round is getting a ridiculous steal.

• El Tato

The Pats also have their holes, they may want to keep his picks

• severeraiderz

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 8:45 am
    Severeraiderz

“What happened when Martz became head coach”

Is he still a head coach in the NFL?

What happened?

If I have to spell this out for you then you have a very low Football IQ.

////////////////////////////////////////////////

I haven’t crowned anyone anything and apparently you are the one with a low football IQ because you don’t realize that on the other side of your argument are the numerous men that have made that same transition quite successfully. All I am saying is dont pan the guy before even has his first mini camp as a HC. He is the primary reason that we won 8 games. He was responsible for raising the level of play of our offense and defense. He heightened the intensity and competition in practice and brought the passing game out of the stone ages, though we still have a ways to go.

• severeraiderz

Hassanusc Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 8:51 am

Whoever gets this kid Bowers in the 2nd round is getting a ridiculous steal.
    ////////////////////////////////////////////

Great post and i give Bellicheat and the Patsies much credit for trading back and still addresing their biggest need for a pass rusher and being able to get an OLB in the second round as well

• Silverandblack666

I see I hurt someones chat feeling this morning.

If “He is the primary reason that we won 8 games”

Then he would also be the primary reason we LOST 8 game.

“we still have a ways to go.”

Can we both agree on that!!

• irjonny

la canfora reported that NE is “open for business” with the 33rd.

if we got that pick and another in the 2nd/3rd i would be okay with the bowers pick, but we might miss out on kappy. bowers would be awesome and schaunessy would get us a 3rd next year.

bowers
    kelly
    seymour
    houston

ouch!!

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

Jonny, sounds good….real good but only if he could stay healthy!

• irjonny

want to make up ground on our passing D if aso leaves??? bowers would really help

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

That would be the BEST D-line in the NFL…..PERIOD!

• irjonny

hue says we were trying to get into first all day. now is the time to trade that 2012 pick. for christ’s sake we would get a top 10 DL and more picks….no brainer. we could STILL trade a 2nd and 4th to move up AGAIN if we really wanted kappy.

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

He would be that difference maker that Hue was talking about!

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

Hue was talking about!

(Bowers)

• severeraiderz

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 8:58 am
    I see I hurt someones chat feeling this morning.

If “He is the primary reason that we won 8 games”

Then he would also be the primary reason we LOST 8 game.

“we still have a ways to go.”

Can we both agree on that!!

///////////////////////////////////

Lol my feelings aren’t hurt and i actually find this back and forth amusing. Your argument makes no sense, just because he is the reason that we won 8 games doesnt automatically make him the reason we lost 8. We improved from 5 wins to 8, from 11 losses to 8. He was responsible for improvement all around

2010 passing yards- 3180
    2009 passing yards- 2557

2010 passing yards- 2494
    2009 rushing yards- 1701

• irjonny

R8eray

let’s meet up at the coliseum, hack the phone lines ninja style and run the rest of the draft for the raiders.

• Buckeyeraider

NFLN is all over Kaepernick to Oakland right now. Lombardi Dukes and LaConfora say the Raiders are really after this guy and might have to trade into 33 to get him. Mentioned Al’s history of trading w/ NE.

Lombardi just said several teams were considering him the 1st, not just Miami.

• RedneckRaider (The Real MaddenRaider-Hater; seriously, I hate that guy…)

Bowers, Kaepernick, Wizzzzzz and give up 2012 1st rounder? I’m down. But I still want to use the 2012 2nd on Janoris Jenkins. I would be a happy man.

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

Irjonny Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 9:12 am
    R8eray

——————

Yeah man…..and Wesley Pipes too…man!

• bcz24

I would lose a lot of respect for Nnamdi if he made a lateral movement and went to the Texans. Isn’t the point of leaving to play for a TRUE contender? The Raiders have just as much of a chance of being a playoff team as the Texans. Nnamdi has already been paid a king’s ransom, wouldn’t make sense to me.
    ***************
    Houston is not a lateral move. The addition of Nnamdi and a second round CB can possibly put them in the top 10 in pass defense, they already have a stout run defense and one of the leagues best offenses. Nnamdi could be the piece that completes their puzzle

• irjonny

redneck

janoris jenkins can be had for a 5th. i’m with ya

even if it’s kappy with the 33rd we can still get greg little, justin houston LB, raheem moore S, akeem ayers, LB

skies the limit, key point trade that pick and not others in this draft. will be fine when we get to 2012

• Silverandblack666

your missing the point dude.

All I was saying is do not crown him yet as a head coach because he had success as an offensive coordinator.

Ray Charles could see he made us better on offensive so no need to post statistics.

One more time…..can we both agree that ““we still have a ways to go”

• El Tato

I dont mind who they take as long as he is good player, last year we had Houston at 44, Veldeer at 69 (who I didnt even knew who he was) and Jacoby at 108.

I hope scouts have made their homeworks again.

• edward teach

No way we get both Kaepernick and Bowers. We will have to trade up to get one of them, and the other one will be gone by #48.

I doubt very seriously that we’re the only ones that know Da’Quan Bowers is still on the board, and as I have mentioned several times already, the QB position is going to be way overdrafted this year.

I don’t care if we do trade our first-rounder in 2012, we ain’t gettin’ both of those guys.

• irjonny

teach

i said we could trade up AGAIN to get kappy and bowers

either way i think the trade is smart. we can even give up our 2nd also in exchange for all 3 of their 2nds this year. no way they get an offer that good for both sides.

• irjonny

i’m off to the dentist yikes! see you guys around 2. GO RAIDERS!! make it happen, gonna be exciting.

remember free agency. could hear from court within hours per la canfora. he’s ready for instant free agency

• edward teach

That’s an awful lot of moving around to get a DE that we don’t really need and a QB with physical skills but that played his entire career against WAC opponents.

Do you honestly see that happening?

• Silverandblack666

I see us taking Ras-I Dowling, or Rodney Hudson

Unless we can pull off a trade to get an additional second round pick.

• RaiderDuck

I can see us moving up to get Kaepernick; Campbell is OK, but will never be great.

Time to get going on the next generation.

• edward teach

I say we stay put and take Mallett if he’s there. Ryan Mallett may not have the mobility you’re looking for, but he’s a whole lot more pro-ready than Kaepernick and he’s got an obvious chip on his shoulder to prove people wrong.

Don’t mortgage our first-rounder next year for a defensive end when we have way bigger issues elsewhere and a quarterback that hasn’t played against top-level competition.

Can’t say it enough; the QB class this year is way overrated and with the other needs we have it’s just not worth it to trade up for one.

• Gust372

Did the Raiders even pick anyone yet? This draft sucks. And I don’t understand how the NFL can make these rules. Judge rules the lockout is illegal. Things should resume as normal, right? Al Davis should have been able to make dumb moves and trade draft picks to New England for semi-washed up players, right? Where am I wrong here?

• inonewordraider

Al will get the best player available not a dline lb rb wr te or ss. Pick will be Als favorite OL CB FS or QB. I’m thinking Wiz Mallett or CB

If we want Kap we will have to trade up a few spots…Buf, cin, ari, den, and was all need QB’s. Mallett, Kaepernick, and Stanzi are the best left

***

Severe,

what about Dalton?

Bills have Fitzpatrick. Donks have Orton & Tebow. Bungles have Palmer. Cards said they don’t want to draft a QB and will opt for a vet like Marc Bulger while youngster John Skelton learns the system

• aig-raiders

If we draft Kappy, the JC supporters are gonna drop him like a hot potato. Too funny.