Day 2 underway

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, April 29th, 2011 at 3:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

I’ll be mostly on the live chat, but will chime in here from time to time if technology allows.

I’m currently frozen on the chat . . . Mike Lombardi says Oakland wants Kaepernick . . .

• RAIDERMAN99

If Raids intend for Wiz to play center, what happens to Satele ?

Is Satele history ? Can he move to guard ? Or is Wiz going to play guard ?

This also could mean that the Raids envision Bruce Campbell’s future as a tackle, not a guard.

• J Hill

144.El Tato Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

he is gonna play G for us

——————————————————-

Why do you say that?

He was introduced by Willie Brown as a C.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Jhill

Way to jump on the bandwagon.

• http://www.jerryisatwit.com MistaBrown

Irons was a LB whats the connection?
    ____

SharkCatcher Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

just hope he doesnt turn out to be Grant Irons.

• jmcclain

Chill people we need a center very important part of that line. I mean crap look at last yr we need a center folks.

• garrettraider18

With us saying bye bye to Gallery, we needed a guard, glad we got him.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

140.Plunketthead Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:31 pm
    AS long as he does not have Robert Gallery arms, I am delighted.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Plunk, you are going to regret saying that.

• jmcclain

Lefty12 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:34 pm
    I love how the amateurs on here get all pissy when we pick someone that wasn’t their ‘guy’.That is why you should focus on positions instead of zeroing in on a certain guy.

————————-

good point

• bcz24

Severeraiderz Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:27 pm
    Im done with this draft…what a rech we could have easily had him in the third round. Im done defending these piss poor scouts and this terrible personnel department
    *************
    I disagree. I have seen a few mocks that had Wiz going bottom of the 2nd or early 3rd before we picked. You act like its a DHB type reach. I guarantee you if this kid plays as well as Veldheer you wont be spouting of stupid sh!t like this.

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

SharkCatcher Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:33 pm
    Mallet- drugs… I dont care if its just weed…not my qb!
    ——

Yeah…that’s a gateway drug!

• SharkCatcher

MistaBrown Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:35 pm
    Irons was a LB whats the connection?

———————————–
    His father Gerald Irons also played for the Raiders

• HairyBush

Wiz=solid pick

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Young Wiz! Welcome to the Nation!

• http://www.jerryisatwit.com MistaBrown

Like the way you jumped on the JaMeatball bandwagon?
    _____

KoolKell Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Jhill

Way to jump on the bandwagon.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

KoolKell Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:31 pm
    It was pretty obvious it had to be OG/C. I’m happy!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was fairly obvious because Al is a creature of habit.
    A center? He’s a guard. He’s played center but mostly guard.

• El Tato

Because our starting Gs are 34 years old and a FA.

• aig-raiders

Dang, Bowers and Clayborne are gonna be huge for Tampa.

• YoungAmerican

I’m just happy it wasn’t Mallett.

• bcz24

TB just STOLE Bowers at 51

• ENGLANDRAIDER

There is no way in hell that this can be said to be a bad pick since we are in real trouble with the OL.

• Raiders for life

YEZZZZAAAAHHH, I’m good with this news!

• Braveheartraider

I think we shoulda waited ’till the 3rd and risked Wiz being there. Still, not a bad pick. I see him playing guard. We still need CB & OLB.

• bcz24

A center? He’s a guard. He’s played center but mostly guard.
    **************
    He is a natural C, and more comfortable there too.

• The Big Banana

Wassup Jhill!! Been a long time.

I didn’t have any one guy I was looking at. I guess if I had to pick, it might have been Bowers. And I like having Wiz Jr, don’t get me wrong. And we def need OL. It’s just that I’m sure we could have had him later.

So I guess my choice would either be Bowers or trade down. Mallet? Not sure what to think of this guy.

• hendu

Fellas, relax a bit,Wiz can play BOTH guard positions as well as center,and the draft for us has just started! Im hoping for a corner next,maybe Jackson thinks QB,we shall see! RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Now we can say Veldheer has played his last snap at Center.

• Thec07

the other forces are at work…
    Oline
    Dline
    Oline
    Dline

Build the trenches win the west….

• ENGLANDRAIDER

168.YoungAmerican Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:40 pm
    I’m just happy it wasn’t Mallett.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I’d rather have Mallet over Campbell any day of any week.

• Braveheartraider

Veldheer is a tackle. Time to move on,

• http://www.jerryisatwit.com MistaBrown

Thec we need a WR.

Your boy Ford is a 1 man army.

• RAIDERMAN99

If he’s half the player his Uncle was the Raids won’t regret the pick.

• Kirk

Offensive line with out first pick.

Praise Jesus!

• J Hill

166.El Tato Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Because our starting Gs are 34 years old and a FA.

——————————————————-

Loper and Campbell?

Or is Al moving Campbell to RT?

Loper got starters $ and Al is starting his boy Beast Campbell somewhere.

Carlisle is a backup or gets cut.

• lefty12

Why are so many saying we could have gotten him later?He would have been gone before we pick again.Besides,if he is the guy you want you take him-period.

• Thec07

bcz24 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:40 pm
    TB just STOLE Bowers at 51

+++++++++++

Bowers is Hard no doubt however he has a micro facture. He may not see the filed this year…

• phatcable

raiders are going to get a QB later on pat devlin deleware

• aig-raiders

Yup, I’m with the camp that picks the guy if he’s there. No need to trade back and risk losing him.

• Thec07

MistaBrown Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:45 pm
    Thec we need a WR.

Your boy Ford is a 1 man army.

+++++++++

Big money Brown….What up????
    We need to get a solid veteran WR in FA….

• Raiders for life

Now we can say Veldheer has played his last snap at Center

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can say that again, this has been a huge need for awhile.

• bcz24

# Thec07 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:43 pm

the other forces are at work…
    Oline
    Dline
    Oline
    Dline

Build the trenches win the west….
    *********
    Id like to get Paea if we can swing it. Nice rotational guy with Seymour and Kelly

• Thec07

lefty12 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

++++++++++++++++

clearly Wiz was at the top of the Other forces board…
    Very solid pick….

• severeraiderz

Bcz24 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:37 pm
    Severeraiderz Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:27 pm
    *************
    /////////////////////////////////////

This is a DHB type reach. DHB was supposed to be a late first and we took him at 7. This guy has a 3rd round grade and we took him in the first half of the second. Lol veldheer gave up double digit sacks and was a 3rd round div II guy playing LT, tough transition…Wiz has to do a lot better than that to justify his selection this early

• lefty12

We could still get a G later.Davis values Centers-Wiz will be a center.

• Kirk

Pick more O line, please.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Big money Brown….What up????
    ______________________________

Too funny.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

184.lefty12 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You are absolutely right Lefty.
    Also-
    1. There was no way that Al was going to pass up the nephew of the original Wiz and..
    2.The new Wiz is solid..and
    3. We need players on the OL.

• http://www.jerryisatwit.com MistaBrown

Like who?
    ____

Thec07 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Big money Brown….What up????
    We need to get a solid veteran WR in FA….

• Thec07

KoolKell Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:49 pm
    Big money Brown….What up????
    ______________________________

Too funny.

++++++++++

Kell, I have respect for all the veteran posters and blog personalities like yourself….

Guys like you and Brown actually make the blog….

• bcz24

I think the Raiders wanted Kaepernick. I dont think we take a QB at all, but possible going after one of the FA’s out there.

• J Hill

Mallet? Not sure what to think of this guy.

——————————————————

After the Russell and Marinovich fiasco’s?

No thanks.

Satele and Carlisle caught most of my rath last year, so I’m happy right now.