Mallett and other Day 2 notes

Some notes and thoughts regarding the Raiders as Day 2 of the NFL draft approaches:

– The quarterback the Raiders seem to have been the most identified with in this year’s class is Nevada’s Colin Kaepernick, who reportedly visited the facility. Another report suggested he was the top quarterback on the Oakland draft board.

But if there’s an early run on quarterbacks today and Kaepernick is snapped up, what do the Raiders do if Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett plunges to No. 48?

He’s a classic Al Davis quarterback, a bigger, stronger version of Andrew Walter who thrived in the Southeastern Conference.

Mallett also may or may not have some personal issues, with rumors of drug use which reportedly has been disclosed to NFL teams.

Davis talked about Russell’s personal problems and Oakland not wanting to deal with them, but keep a couple of things in mind in that regard.

One of Davis’ favorite sayings is, “I’d rather be right than consistent,” and that Mallett in the second round would come at a fraction of a cost of Russell.

You blow $39 million guaranteed on the top pick in the draft and it sends the franchise reeling. If it doesn’t workout for $5 million or so with the No. 48 pick in the draft and its a minor setback.

– Columnist Monte Poole wants a center.
I may be in the minority, but it looks to me like Samson Satele was the most consistent performer of the returning offensive linemen from 2010, considering that Robert Gallery is on his way out and that Jared Veldheer, while showing the most promise, had some very difficult games.

They should be looking at guards and tackles before a center.

Other than Veldheer, the Raiders’ tackle situation is murky. Colleague Steve Corkran reports Khalif Barnes is reluctant to accept another one-year contract because he wants a chance to start instead of playing his backup tackle, backup tight end role of a year ago.

It’s not clear if Mario Henderson, a four-year veteran, was given a tender. There are also are whispers that Langston Walker may be considering retirement. That story has not been confirmed by Walker or his representation.

– I have no doubt the Raiders were busy on the phone looking at possibilites to get into the first round, but make no mistake, the accounting department will shed no tears about waiting until Round 2.

Figures I obtained recently reveal the Raiders have spent or committed $164,105,636 to 13 first-round draft picks since the year 2000.

The five drafts in which Oakland picked in the top eight _ covering Rolando McClain, Darrius Heyward-Bey, JaMarcus Russell, Michael Huff and Robert Gallery, account for $136,686,636 _ or $22,781.106 per player.

Here’s how it breaks down in terms of guaranteed compensation for all first-round picks since 2000:

2010 LB Rolando McClain, No. 8 overall, $22,825,000.
2009 WR Darrrius Heyward Bey, No. 7 overall, $23,500,000
2008 RB Darren McFadden, No. 4 overall, $26,042,500.
2007 QB JaMarcus Russell, No. 1 overall, $32,019,120
2006 S Michael Huff, No. 7 overall, $15,000,000
2005 CB Fabian Washington, No. 23 overall, $5,538,000
2004 T Robert Gallery, No. 2 overall, $17,300,016
2003 CB Nnamdi Asomugha, No. 31 overall, $3,575,000
2003 DE Tyler Brayton, No. 32 overall, $3,520,000
2002 CB Phillip Buchanon, No. 17 overall, $4,900,000
2002 LB Napoleon Harris, No. 23 overall, $4,295,000
2001 S Derrick Gibson, No. 28 overall, $2,611,000
2000 K Sebastian Janikowski, No. 17 overall, $2,611,000

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Macho Man Randy Savage

since the raiders have historically had tons of trouble developing players, i would rather bringing in a vet like vince young than a rookie that will have nobody to develop him… QBs and Safeties are positions Al should never draft high, they never pan out.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

94.Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 1:49 pm
    KK if you look I said Loper CAN play center

In other words we have more than one person who can play center on our roster
    ————————————–
    Yeah, and they’re both starters at other positions, get it!!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Draft a qb for the future? Why draft for the future this year? Why not draft a qb for the future, in the future, when there is a better qb class coming in?

There are no qbs’ in this draft worthy of pick # 48. You can always pick up a back up qb /future insurance project/ wild stab in the dark, in the very late rounds.

Please Al beef up that o-line otherwise it doesnt matter who is taking snaps.

• Silverandblack666

I am going home to watch the draft.

Later

• RAIDERMAN99

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 1:51 pm
    RAIDERMAN99

Did you read post #89?

You should!

==============================================
    Yes, I read it. And while I respect YoungAmerican’s opinion, I disagree with it.

I don’t think VY is the same type of player as JaJason.

If he’s mentally right VY is much better.

VY had a good running game helping him in Tenn, but his WR corp wasn’t that hot. Better offensive line, yes – but keep in mind one of VY’s strengths is his mobility – that would help him in Oakland.

Finally, and most importantly – take a look at Tenn’s record with and without VY.

I realize they had some success with Collins at QB, but the difference in that team in 2009 with and without VY as the starter is undeniable.

Can’t see passing on the chance to land VY. Isn’t going to cost any draft picks. Only thing the Raids can lose is some cash and a roster position.

Negligible downside. Huge upside.

It’s a no brainer.

Sign VY.

JaJason sucks.

• irjonny

you guys think you know more about scouting than hue jackson??? wow

i’m all about getting kappy ONLY because it’s been said that hue jackson wants him, not because i think i know what i’m talking about when it comes to scouting. get over yourselves.

drafting anything BUT qb is like trying to re-model the living room while the kitchen is on fire. saint’s o-line sucked until guess what??? drew brees shows up, no team is ANY good without an elite qb and i want our chance to have one. if it’s campbell cool, then we have our aaron rodgers on the bench. it’s pretty simple. BUT i don’t want to lose 2011 picks for him either. there is a fine line here and i’m excited.

• YoungAmerican

2.) Ryan Mallett
    3.) DeMarcus Van Dyke

• El Tato

The Titans had a very good defense too, and the best rushing attack in the league, VY was not the reason they were winning.

• El Tato

DeMarcus VanDike was NOT even a starting CB in Miami, he cannot be our 3rd rounder, he is a 4th/5th rounder at best.

• YoungAmerican

# El Tato Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

—-

I’m kidding. See post #1.

• irjonny

straight up!! i’m tired of hoping for mediocrity, i want to be the most dangerous team in the league…first step? QUARTERBACK FOOLS. it’s our time today, it’s hue’s time today. IF they think colin is that guy…F-ING GET HIM. if not i’m fine with o-line but don’t be pissed if we do go colin, he’s got peyton manning’s blessing…why not yours??

sorry man, didnt see it.

But I have seen someone here mention him as a posible 2nd rounder, I hope not.

• YoungAmerican

I’ll say this about the possibility of drafting Kaepernick. IF he’s available to the Raiders, and IF Hue and Al (Saunders, that is) believe he’s “The Guy”, and IF the Raiders also plan on shoring up the offensive line and adding a couple more offensive weapons, and IF the Raiders are committed to letting him sit on the bench and learn the game… then there’s no way that Kaepernick shouldn’t be the pick. In fact, if all those things are indeed the case, the Raiders should trade up for him.

I don’t know if any of the above things are true, though.

• El Tato

if we cant get Kaepernick, next years draft is very strong at QB

• YoungAmerican

# El Tato Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

sorry man, didnt see it.

But I have seen someone here mention him as a posible 2nd rounder, I hope not.

————-

I know. It’s a terrifying prospect, because it seems all too possible. I have this very real vision of myself right now – sitting on my couch with my beer, jaw agape as the pick is announced. It’s not like it hasn’t happened before.

• El Tato

Next years draft is gonna be one of the few where picking number 1 overall is a luck, the one who gets Andrew Luck will be OK for 10 years.

• RAIDERMAN99

==================================================
    He might not have been the only reason, but one thing was clear, they didn’t win without him.

With Collins at QB I believe they started at 0-6 or something like that.

Owner demands that Fisher play VY, they immediately go on a great run and narrowly miss mking the playoffs.

Was that due to VY alone ? No.

But it’s ridiculous to think he wasn’t an instrumental part of it.

What do the Raids have to lose by bringing him in ?

Are the Raids better off with Boller or VY ?

Even if the Raids draft Kaepernick or Mallet are they ready to go in 2011 ?

This is a no brainer.

JaJason sucks.

• irjonny

youngamerican

100% agree

i think that is the case and hue jackson has more sway in our organization than many coaches of the past.

i want more picks if we trade up though, could be easily done and pats would love to have 3 1st rounders next year no question.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

The Raiders could use a quality backup QB this year, Boller perhaps………….but not a rookie.

# YoungAmerican Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

# El Tato Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

sorry man, didnt see it.

But I have seen someone here mention him as a posible 2nd rounder, I hope not.

————-

—————————

True. Routt was a 4th round prospect, we selected him 38 overall.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

irjonny Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 2:25 pm
    youngamerican

100% agree

—————————————
    New Raider Head Coaches always have a honeymoon period (usually until the 2nd loss)

• El Tato

JCampbell is a game manager, he will be OK as long as we continue to run the ball well.

yeah, Al Davis probably alredy wants to fire Hue Jackson at this point

• irjonny

KK

dude, i’m not some new guy in school. i know how the org. works. i’m saying hue jackson has al davis in his hand. you can see it in interviews the guy is convincing and that hasn’t happened since…..?

• irjonny

game managers help win games….not superbowls. if you want to just win some games then (i hope i wrong) campbell is your guy.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

124.irjonny Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 2:30 pm
    KK

_____________________________________
    Like I said, “New Raider Head Coaches always have a honeymoon period” (usually until the 2nd loss)

• El Tato

if you have 7 losing season in a row and havent had a QB since 2002, I am be fine with JCampbell, he is the best in town since Gannon, I will replace many players before him.

Dilfer won a SB.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

I dont believe japlunkett is made for close games. if we are going to win more than 8 games next season we will need to win the close ones. japlunkett is OK if we are going to run 200 yds and he needs to throw 12 to 18 passes.

• YoungAmerican

I’ll tell you what… if Hue is serious about a power blocking scheme? John Moffitt.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

127.El Tato Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Dilfer won a SB.

************

NO, Ray Lewis, and his two 350lbs body gaurds won a Super Bowl. Dilfer collected a ring.

• El Tato

In the last 9 games, JC had 11 TDs and 4 INTs with 7 games with 90+ rating.

We could be doing worse.

• irjonny

agree or disagree, i hope one of us is right and we get a good player. let’s see what happens and hopefully it helps us to the playoffs.

————————————-

Thats what Im saying, our D# and run game can is what can get us to the SB, Campbell is a game manager, actually better than Dilfer.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

133.El Tato Says:
    April 29th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

————————————-

***********

Agreed.

• SharkCatcher

I’m Ok with drafting a future qb with our 2nd pick,but would prefer an O linemen.

• BloodRaider

Love hate Mallett, sometimes he’s amazing then he’s making the dumbest throw ever.
    I blame him for breaking 2 pairs of glasses, I tend to throw them when he blows the game we should win with the dumb int. But he could be our next great QB, maybe, if he’s there at 48 we just got to take him. I hate it but he too good to let pass.

• SharkCatcher

I’m expecting a great year from JC because he will have the same coordinator for the 1st time in his career. We need olinemen bad.

• El Tato

JC went 13-0 in 2004 at Auburn with Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams leading the team, we have McFadden and Bush.

• Plunketthead

I bet Al pulls some suprises tonight

• priesttj

I think Moffitt’s a very good fit here even more than Wiz kid and we can get him in the 4th rnd or someone comparable.

• priesttj

Kaepernick is coming to OAKLAND the Raiders are actively trying to get the pick from Pat’s as we speak.

• YoungAmerican

I’d even take Moffitt in the 3rd. I think smart, versatile, powerful, nasty player. Not sure what more you could want in an OG/C.

• priesttj

Kappy is COMING to Oaktown baby!!!!!! YEAAHHH!!!

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

It’s happening…..oh SNAP!

• JB

It’s on… Are we first to pick?

• irjonny

say what you want, i have high hopes for campbell as well after all he is our qb. but now he has no excuses.

• big oak boy

are we dam it

• Buckeyeraider

YA #129

You’re singing my tune, bro. trying not to get my hopes up, but I’ve been banging the drum for John Moffitt for a few weeks now.

Wisconsin HC Brett Buliema was just on NFLN and was asked about Moffitt. Said he’s never enjoyed coaching a plyer more. Dynamic personality, great lockerroom guy and pure nastiness on the field.

Edward Teach posted a link about Moffitt awhile back. Go back and find it in the archives if you missed it. Teach said Moffitt reminded him of Ted Hendricks with his off beat sense of humor and fun-loving style in a couple of interview settings.

There’s also a highlight reel from last years game vs Iowa. Count the number of Black jerseyed Hawkeyes #74 puts on the ground. He’s impressive.

Although when Cameron Heyward went to Pittsburgh at the end of rd 1, one of the highlights they showed was him beating moffitt for a sack. Cam Heyward is a helluva player in his own right.

He could start at LG and then slide over to Center to fill in for Satele. As Kell and others keep pointing out, a backup center is def a need.

I’d love to see this guy in Silver & Black.

• JB

A starting center is definitely a need too!

• SharkCatcher

a 4.4 isn’t ” RAIDER SPEED”