Add one Moore wide receiver

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 at 11:34 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders selected wide receiver Denarius Moore out of Tennessee in the fifth round, No. 148 overall.

Moore averaged 21 yards per catch, making him the kind of deep threat coveted by the franchise. Doubtful he’ll be talking much about Lane Kiffin with the Raiders.

Here’s a link to a scouting report on CBSsports.com

• raiderzmaverick

and he wasn’t even super-fast…?

• raiderman81

ok?

• J Hill

Would have worked 5-7 years ago….not quite the same Hendu these days.

——————————————————

So you agree that Seymour is the better player.

• The Blackhole

The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:30 am
    41.The Blackhole Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:25 am
    We let go of Nnamdi so we could keep the Richard Seymours, the Standford Routs, the Hiram Eugenes and so forth.

************

Is there more than one Stanford Rout, and Eugene?
    =============
    Ask Hue

• CMon Man

How about just rolling with the guys in the secondary now.

Such an overrated position anyway.

I wish they would put as much “investment” in the linebacking, d-line etc…..

Little depth at linebacker, only one NT on the roster, o-line thin, no depth at TE and a 29th ranked run defense to boot.

Yet drafting 10000 cornerbacks and speedy running backs

• Raiderbuck

Moore emerged in his senior season at Tennessee as a premier deep threat. Though he only caught 47 passes, those receptions went for 981 yards – a 20.9 yards-per-catch average that ranked second in the nation. He topped the 200-yard mark twice, catching six passes for 228 yards and a touchdown at then-No. 17 South Carolina on Oct. 30, and hauling in seven balls for 205 yards and a score against Kentucky in the Nov. 27 regular-season finale. Moore, however, may have needed a breakout performance at the NFL combine to bolster his draft status, and he failed to place among the leaders in any category there. He has excellent speed once he gets going, but could stand to fire off the line a bit quicker. He is reputed to be sure-handed. Moore is more than willing to venture over the middle and has shown the ability to take a hit, but adding some bulk to his frame will help him. He likely does not have the potential to become a star in the NFL, but could merit a look on the draft’s final day.

Fox I think,..

• raiderman81

i guesss we needed O line in draft … so we got o line. its not sexxy but we needed it.

• hellsbells

Hellsbells Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:28 am
    Love 21, but we did not use him right anyway. Who cares he shut down opposing teams third option. Easily game planned because he did not shadow oppositions best WR often enough. That half the field crap is well crap.

• hellsbells

Sorry to repost, but we did not win many games over his career. Wish we could keep him but it is what it is.

• http://0 Bob Marley

Looks like a decent pick for the 5th round, a WR from Tennessee, a school known for churning out fine NFL receiver…

Overview

Moore overcame three different head coaches in three years and terribly inconsistent play from the Volunteers’ quarterbacks to establish himself as a legitimate NFL prospect during his senior year, averaging a staggering 21 yards on 43 catches to go with nine touchdowns.

Smooth and NFL ready, Moore projects well as a No. 2 WR at the next level, offering sound route-running, consistent hands and proven ability to go deep and make the tough catch.

Analysis
    Positives: Well-rounded receiver prospect. Soft, natural hands, can snatch in traffic and high points in space. Excellent “trajectory assessment” of thrown ball, especially off-target throws (of which he had plenty at UT) – adjusts his route immediately to the correct course straight to where the ball will be when it descends. Disciplined route-runner. Good effort and technique blocking. Consistent deep threat. Two-year starter really emerged during a fine senior season.

Negatives: Didn’t do much as a kick returner in limited chances. Thin build, not a dominant blocker. While fast and shifty, is not elite in either category. Can have trouble breaking through press man coverage. Was shut down by better competition, although it is fair to point out that the whole UT offense was shut down too often, and there isn’t much a receiver can do when the quarterback is constantly under immediate pressure.

• The Blackhole

“NFL:OVERVIEW
    Moore has the height, hands, and mentality to develop into a quality backup possession-type receiver in the NFL. However, at this time still needs to put on some more weight and would really benefit from gaining a step of initial quickness. Takes too long to reach top speed and will struggle to gain separation on underneath patterns. Is tough and productive making catches over the middle. Has the length, ball skills and top-end speed to potentially make some plays vertically. Flashes the ability to be a good run blocker and needs to be a little more nasty. Moore’s carries a Day 3 grade.”

• Raiders for life

Another smurf!!

• raiderzmaverick

I wish we picked him in the 4th round…we’ve been having 2 years in a row good WRs picked in the 4th LOL

• J Hill

Agreed HB!

Routt covered most teams #1 last year since we were reluctant to move Nnamdi off the left side. I think we have some guys who can cover the other teams #3 and 4 WRs.

• Pretty Rick

I wonder if we’ll pick up a outside linebacker sometime today.

• TerrapinRaider

This guy on walterfootball is doing live grades of the draft. Interestingly he has been grading the Raiders picks very high.

My curiosity led me to check out how he is grading our competition in the AFC West – no so good. Its interesting.

Based on this guys analysis, only the Chiefs are having a comparable draft although not as good as the Raiders.

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

This Draft reminds me of the one we picked DHB….

• RaiderDuck

I wonder if this means we aren’t cutting ties with Chaz Schilens. Chaz is a good receiver when healthy, but ends up being an empty roster spot 3/4 of every season.

• Dakota

3.J Hill Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:35 am
    Would have worked 5-7 years ago….not quite the same Hendu these days.

——————————————————

So you agree that Seymour is the better player.

______________________

Of course Seymour is a better player than Hendu. Doesn’t mean I think we should set Seymour in there at DT and continue to suffer against the run. This issue should have been addressed years ago. Sands was a bust, but until Hendu Al simply stopped trying to find a NT.

Seymour gets doubled on passing downs, but I need you to show me multiple videos of Seymour being doubled on run plays by the C and G…. and not just a chip block by one of them before moving on to engage a LB. A true NT occupies a G and C for an entire run play, opening up the way for a LB to have a chance to make a play without being swallowed by a 320 lb G.

Show me video and I will admit that Seymour is the perfect DT.

I wouldn’t have a problem with Seymour playing the three tech along side a true NT either.

I don’t care if anyone makes the pro bowl, I just want to see our run D elevated from the bottom third….I mean with the great Rolando McClain and the pro bowler Seymour doing such a good job I guess I can’t understand why teams run the ball down our throats.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

4.The Blackhole Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:35 am
    The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:30 am
    41.The Blackhole Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:25 am

************

Is there more than one Stanford Rout, and Eugene?
    =============
    Ask Hue

*******************

I’m askin you.

• TerrapinRaider

Accd’g to walterfootball Chargers are having the worst draft in the AFC West.

I haven’t been paying much attn this year to the prospects and all.

• Harder2000

Walter football is usually extremely sarcastic about Raiders and speed, and he has often ripped us – he likes our picks and that is seriously a good sign!

But KC has had a great draft thus far – value picks that has great potential!

• Raiderbuck

Of all the teams Stanzi goes to KC! He is now the enemy! LOL

• The Blackhole

The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:47 am
    4.The Blackhole Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:35 am
    The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:30 am
    41.The Blackhole Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:25 am

************

Is there more than one Stanford Rout, and Eugene?
    =============
    Ask Hue

*******************

I’m askin you.
    ============

And I’m telling you to ask Hue

• noteasilyimpressed

Johnnie Lee Higgins is as good as gone!

• CMon Man

hellsbells Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:37 am
    Hellsbells Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:28 am
    =================================================
    So the Raiders just need warm bodies back there. Why do they spend soooooooooooooo many picks on CBs then?

Waste of picks….no more DBs!

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

You let others talk for you often?

No problem dude… err Parrot.

• Gust372

The reason Nnamdi’s decisions don’t make sense to some of you is because you’re getting the Raiders’ side of the story, and they’re lying. Lies are designed to confuse you. As long as you’re sitting there scratching your head at Nnamdi’s supposed decisions, you’re not thinking about the fact that the Raiders’ are about to let arguably the best CB in the game go. Nnamdi has hardly even talked about this.

• CMon Man

Draft 2 linebackers a year

or 2 NTs a year….2 OGs a year….2 TEs a year….

But every freekn year its CB, CB,CB,CB,,,and they don’t do shhhhhhhhhhh

• Pingback: Raiders Go Receiver in Round 5, Draft Denarius Moore « Just Blog Baby | An Oakland Raiders Blog

• J Hill

Show me video and I will admit that Seymour is the perfect DT.

—————————————————–

LOL!

Off season film study?

I’ll have some “film” ready for you by training camp.

• http://www.raiders.com/ r8eray

2011 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

48. Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State
    This makes too much sense. The Raiders have a huge need at center, and Stefen Wisniewski is the best player at that position in this class (I’m counting Mike Pouncey as a guard). Oakland had a great 2010 NFL Draft, and they’re off to a good start this year. (Pick Grade: A)

81. DeMarcus Van Dyke, CB, Miami
    I’m not going with any “great playa” jokes because I’ve always felt that DeMarcus Van Dyke was an underrated prospect. I’m glad to see him go in Round 3 because he’s very talented. The Raiders needed a corner given that Nnamdi Asomugha probably won’t be back next year. (Pick Grade: B)

92. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU
    Let me get this out of the way – Joseph Barksdale fills a need on a pedestrian offensive line and provides decent value at the bottom of Round 3. This pick alone would probably be a B.

However, the Raiders acquired this selection from New England 10 picks ahead of time. What if Barksdale wasn’t on the board? And why do the Raiders continue to trade away future early-round selections? They really need to stop doing this. It’s getting ridiculous. (Pick Grade: Undead Al)

113. Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State
    Another “great playa” for Al Davis! I actually really like this selection. I slotted Chimdi Chekwa to the Raiders in the third round of my 2011 NFL Mock Draft, so Oakland is getting some value with this speedy corner. They really had to address the position. (Pick Grade: A)

125. Taiwan Jones, RB, Eastern Washington
    I better not receive another e-mail from a Raider fan telling me that the “great playa” jokes are played out. The only reason I didn’t mock Taiwan Jones to Oakland is because I didn’t think he’d be available past the middle of Round 4. Jones provides great value, but I’m not sure how he fits. He doesn’t project as a great complement for Darren McFadden. (Pick Grade: C)

148. Denarius Moore, WR, Tennessee
    It wouldn’t be an NFL Draft if the Raiders didn’t select a speedy receiver. Denarius Moore is really good value pick in the middle of Round 5. He was projected into the third round by some. (Pick Grade: A)

• Dakota

31.J Hill Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:57 am
    Show me video and I will admit that Seymour is the perfect DT.

—————————————————–

LOL!

Off season film study?

I’ll have some “film” ready for you by training camp.

_____________

We will revisit this once the free agency period begins….whenever that might be. I’ll be in here asking for a NT once again lol.

• J Hill

——————————————————

9 other guys on the team mayne.

I’m sure you understand the concept of 10 yds instead of 60 yds.

Let’s say your DT theory is correct. We should still be making the tackle 5yds or so down the field.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

Stefen Wisniewski in the Second! Hmm whoda guessed that? Oh… me 11 months ago.

• http://0 Bob Marley

Looks like Denard Moore was a rising prospect.

From the National Football Post:

“Ever since the season ended, Tennessee wide receiver Denarius Moore has boosted his draft stock into third-round to fourth-round consideration.

The latest example was his 4.37 in the 40-yard dash at his campus Pro Day workout after running a 4.43 at the NFL scouting combine to go with a 36-inch vertical leap, a 9-10 broad jump, a 1.55 10-yard split and 13 repetitions in the bench press.

Now, Moore is reaping some of the benefits of his athleticism with some face time with NFL teams.

He visited the Miami Dolphins over the past two days and visits the Pittsburgh Steelers later this week, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

He has already visited the New York Giants and has conducted a private workout for the Atlanta Falcons. He also had a meeting with the Baltimore Ravens.”

• The Blackhole

The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:54 am
    You let others talk for you often?

No problem dude… err Parrot.
    —————-
    At 1:23

• Jaysohn

You guys are killing me. Everyone is an expert on who to pick and who not to pick. Why CBs? Because the NFL has become a passing league with multiple WR sets being implemented by most teams. You need more than 1 shutdown corner to make a difference. Nnamdi is great but do you want to pay 20 mil for 1 interception? And for all the whining going on did we forget already that we actually drafted two offensive lineman to go with the two that were drafted last year?

• aig-raiders

Get the impression Jones can catch. Not bad but we still need vet wr

• http://0 Bob Marley

I like the schools our picks come from Penn State, Miami, LSU, Ohio State, Tennessee…every one of our picks produced at those big-time programs, only Van Dyke was inconsistent.

• Harder2000

Moore reminds me of Arman Shields, hope he does better in the NFL! Seems to be pretty good catcher with his hands.. Good potential!

• http://0 Bob Marley

I’m done….see you guys tomorrow to keep the arguments going!.

• CMon Man

CB is overrated as a position. The key is pressure from the front 7.

Anyone can play CB

• The Blackhole

CMon Man Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 12:08 pm
    CB is overrated as a position. The key is pressure from the front 7.

Anyone can play CB
    ———-

Even Me?

• Bauce Rules

Jhill is my boy but guys he will never understand the importance of a true NT. I mean he didnt even understand the dynamics of what a UT and NT DOES FOR A DEFENSE until last year by watching Madden 10 lol. Seymour is a LDE as Dakota said. And no seymour doesnt handle the double teams well unless its pass rushing. Hendu is by far our best NT

• Dakota

34.J Hill Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 11:59 am

——————————————————

9 other guys on the team mayne.

I’m sure you understand the concept of 10 yds instead of 60 yds.

_____________

Like I said before, the lack of a true NT is only part of the problem….along with safeties missing tackles and CBs being run out of plays due to having their backs to the play…..but I would rather see a defense built to stop the run up front instead of relying on safeties….and the CB issue will be an issue in Oakland until Al is out of the picture, so that can’t be fixed.

Also, starting with Burgess, we have not been playing run-stuffing guys at LDE. Seymour could be that guy…if paired up with a NT taking up a G and C. Houston is better suited for RDE imo.

For whatever reason, during the Gruden era, many of the normal Al issues had been resolved. Fast WRs that can’t catch were replaced by Jerry Rice. We had a true NT in Adams. And we had a gutsy QB who lacked the big arm but got the job done anyhow, and we used a short passing game to score many many points.

Apparently Al didn’t like winning that way so he reverted, and look at the consequences….

• RaiderDuck

LOL at everyone going on about “WE’RE LETTING NNAMDI LEAVE!”

Nnamdi is a unrestricted FA. We’re not “letting” him do anything. He can do what he wants.

And what exactly can Al do, besides throwing money at him?

If Nnamdi wants to go to the Jets or the Colts or someplace else where he know he’ll be in SB contention next year, that’s his choice.

• Bauce Rules

AIG…….we are getting a vet named Chad Johnson…..that’s a for sure thing. Yeah chaz and JLH are gone. Gotta move on

• Kirk

Running backs, wide receivers, and defensive backs…

What the flagnog?

• Dakota

It is going to hurt watching another team use Nnamdi correctly….just as it has hurt watching Woodson turn into a HOF player under proper guidance.

Al will be driven mad watching Nnamdi get pick sixes and so expect the next few drafts to be wasted on DBs.