Chemdi Chekwa interview

A conference call interview with Ohio State corner Chemdi Chekwa, selected in the fourth round (No. 125 overall) by the Raiders:

Hints that the Raiders might be calling

“Not really. I knew they were interested in taking a corner. I didn’t know if it was specifically me or whoever. I’m just happy to be a part of the Raiders. I was just waiting by that phone, got that phone call and I’m glad they welcomes me to the Raiders organization.’’

Strengths relative to outside corner or slot corner

“Whatever they want me to be. I think I can do both. I did both in college. I think I’ll be ready to do whatever they ask me to do.’’

Amount of pre-draft contact from Raiders

“I spoke to them at the combine. They had contact with my agent and were in touch. I didn’t go there and meet or work out with them. At the end of the day I’m happy they picked me at all. I’m happy about it. ‘’

Needed areas of improvement

“Not in particular. I think I have to continue to get better and continue to work on what the Raiders like to do …. I’m just going to continue to train and get better and be ready to go once the lockout ends and I’m ready to go out there.’’

Comfort level playing man to man

“ I think I’m good at that. I’m a corner. That’s what I do. I’ve been there, I’ve played zone. I do whatever they ask of me.’’

Amount of man-to-man played at Ohio State

“We played a lot of man. We played zone coverages, we played man, we mixed it up. We played some zones where one corner was playing man and the rest of the team would be playing zone. We do a lot of different things at Ohio State but we played a lot of man.’’

The chance to be coached by Rod Woodson

“It’s a good opportunity. When I once met with the Raiders at the combine I also met with him. That would be a good opportunity. I think he will really do a good job helping me grow as a corner and I’m excited about it.”

Expect Raiders to be interested because of your speed

“No, you know, so many thoughts go through your mind during the draft, you know, that I’m just excited that they reached out and drafted me at pick 113 and happy to be a part of this organization.”
Possibility of helping replace Nnamdi Asomugha

“I’m not getting ahead of myself right now. Really at this point I’m just trying to go out there and compete for a position, continue to get better, continue to work on my craft, and be ready to play once I go up there and once it’s time to play in the NFL.”

Understanding of contact with coaches after today

“It’s very limited. There not really a lot because at this point I’m just gonna go back and training trying to get better and once the lockout ends, then I’ll be ready to the OTA’s and things of that nature.”

Where are you going to train?

“I’ll be training up in Columbus Ohio, at my school with the rest of the guys after the draft.”
Condition of injured wrist

“It’s not 100 percent now. I’ll probably be cleared in a couple weeks. And I’ll continue to do rehab like catching the football, I can do everything but full contact for right now. I’ll be cleared in a couple weeks and I’m excited about it.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• mcskinnnylegs

just a guess but i think t.jones will take over kr and pr duties while jacoby gets more playing time.this kid can catch unlike …4get it

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Aig-Raiders Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:19 pm
    Dang, we missed out on Bowe.

AB, if JC makes the probowl this year (I sincerely hope you are right), I will call you king on here. I have serious doubts. But I will give your props if you are correct.
    ——————
    I will remember that when it happens.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Whose the best QB left in the draft?

• mcskinnnylegs

those of you that go to 9er pre season game please boo the hell out of kappy

• mcskinnnylegs

53.A.B. Paine III Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:25 pm
    Whose the best QB left in the draft?

__________________________

ME

• mcskinnnylegs

whatcha think of that terrapin

• GoodOle00

SPEED!!!!

Any question who’s in charge of this draft?

“Day 3 sees Oakland take speed, speed and more speed…”

Lotta projects

• TerrapinRaider

You guys arguing about 5th 6th and soon 7th round picks. lmfao!

• lefty12

Doesn’t surprise me,just pointing out the hypocrisy shown by many where NE is concerned.

• J Hill

AIG,

For example, the Jags game last year (lol).

DHB had a couple nice catches in the 4th qtr, but dropped the dime JC put on him on that final drive that could have been a big play towards a win.

That’s kinda what I’m saying and expecting. Not 1000 yd seasons.

We should be able to call a WR screen, a reverse, and some short 5 yd passes for DHB every game and let him run with the ball. 15 yd digs and go routes are 50-50 at best.

• marios

best qb left is pat devlin

• RaiderDuck

TerrapinRaider Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:26 pm
    You guys arguing about 5th 6th and soon 7th round picks. lmfao!

———————————————–
    Exactly. Anything after the mid-4th round is a total guessing game. Just pick who you have a hunch about, and roll the dice.

• dokie

Taiwan wasnt a punt returner at Eastern and was the second KR… he wont be wit the Raiders either

• The Blackhole

YAWN, what did I miss?

• Bauce Rules

Barksdale wont start? What are you basing that on?

• Harder2000

@Bauce, Blaine ‘the vanilla gorilla’ Sumner seems like a HULK! Damn! 55 reps on the bench (only 52 were accepted), and he is a BEAST to watch! Definately has the looks of a Raider! Like the youtube reel on him!

• J Hill

Jones wont be the punt returner… Fords the PR. Dumb.

—————————————————–

Ford didn’t return 1 punt last year.

Well maybe 1 somewhere we are forgetting about, but it was little Nicky Miller and JLH returning PUNTS.

• Bauce Rules

Raiders go ahead and select NT blaine sumner

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

I hope the Raiders can find another 7th round gem like Chaz Schillens.

• lefty12

Taiwan will be a much better replacement than either Cartwright or Bennett for when McFadden inevitably gets injured.

• Bauce Rules

Harder i seen that already before and the raiders and 49ers brought him to the bay area for private workouts. Seems like an Al pick

• The Blackhole

Why are you Raiderettes still bickering?

• mcskinnnylegs

whos chaz schillens ….lol

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

That Sumner guy should be Bane in the next Batman movie

• J Hill

We certainly should have taken a young DT by at least rd 5 with the age of Henderson and Seymour. You can count on some games being missed by those 2.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

I think Taiwan Jones is going to be amazing.

• Harder2000

Yeah, hadnt seen him before, but on the reel he looks like a beast – giant brute with extreme power and a mean streak! Refining his technique and adjusting him to a higher level of competition and he could be a great late rd gem! Isnt it the same school that the dude scheicl comes from? He seemed to have many of the same attributes, albeit a lot smaller..

• JB

Blain Sumner? Can’t find a listing for him. Is the name correct?

• dokie

Yeah, and Nick Miller sucked, hence Ford will handle those duties in 11.

Barksdale wont start based on…..hes a rook, hes a 3rd rd rook, he may be switchn positions…all those reasons add up to no start in 11

• Bauce Rules

Leftster…..we got taiwan jones becuz we dont have a scatback. He is perfect. I been yelling for this since 08, thats why having farglass was stupid. We needed a guy who was small kevin faulk type to compliment dmac and bush

• dokie

AB,

You watch alot of Eastern Wa. football??

• J Hill

So what does our WR depth chart look like now?

Will Al stick up for anyone not named DHB?

Murphy in danger of being replaced by Moore?

• mcskinnnylegs

79.dokie Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:38 pm
    Yeah, and Nick Miller sucked, hence Ford will handle those duties in 11.

________________________________________

he because jared velheer was a rook 3rd rd pick that started week 1 there goes that theory

• Bauce Rules

Dokie….sorry but you have proved nada with that lol. Seem too negative here. It reeks thru your post my friend. Veldheer sure played alot and was a d2 guy drafted in 3rd and started at center and LT soyour argument has too many holes in it. Back to the lab

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Dokie Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:39 pm
    AB,

You watch alot of Eastern Wa. football??
    ————–
    No, but I grew up in North Idaho. I went to EWU games when I was a kid.

• J Hill

hence Ford will handle those duties in 11.

——————————————————

What team trots their #1 WR out for PR duties?

• lefty12

You need 3 good running backs,not 2.When one gets injured,which they all do,you need 2 every game.That is why we took T.Jones.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

69.A.B. Paine III Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:33 pm
    I hope the Raiders can find another 7th round gem like Chaz Schillens.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who writes your material? It’s really funny.
    If they find a “gem” like Schillens, let’s hope he comes with his own health insurance.

• Harder2000

@ JB, Blaine Sumner, hes a division 2 guy from school of mines..

• J Hill

Barksdale wont start based on…..hes a rook, hes a 3rd rd rook,

——————————————————

You mean like the 3rd rd rookie LT we drafted last year?

• mcskinnnylegs

dumb 1s

• Bauce Rules

JB…..blaine sumner colorado school of mines….6’2 335 lbs

• RaiderDuck

J Hill Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:39 pm
    So what does our WR depth chart look like now?

Will Al stick up for anyone not named DHB?

Murphy in danger of being replaced by Moore?

————————————————

No, Chaz Shilens is in danger of being replaced by Moore, and justifiably so. I like Chaz as much as the next guy, but the dude gets hurt so much he’s a total waste of a roster space for 3/4 of the year.

• lefty12

Moore takes N.Millers spot.You can also kiss JLH goodbye.

• Bauce Rules

Lefster…..no bruh…..you need 3 backs that compliment each other. Jones Dmac and Bush are all different type of rbs. Dmac is your all star do it all guy while bush is your power guy, jones is a scatback who can come in and get some big plays for your offense and squeeze thru tighter areas

• CliffNotes

32.aig-raiders Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:17 pm
    Jhill, DHB getting 1000 yds all of us on here would be jumping for joy. I doubt that can happen. I am one of those guys born with strength and height that never had eye hand coordination. I suck at sports but I can lift the heck out of weight room. I know this is something you are born with or not and DHB doesnt have it. He is a track star trying to play football.

Plus, my wife is going to be an optometrist and she said you can only do so much for vision therapy. Eye hand coordination is somethign you are born with, imo, and you can only coach it up so much. It has to be a natural thing.
    ——————————————————-
    Um, ever heard of Cliff Branch? Jerry Rice? Look at Titans WR Kenny Britt and the improvement he’s shown in catching the ball (too bad he hasn’t improved his off-field issues.)
    Vision therapy has nothing to do with DHB. The guy hasn’t played WR for very long and it was common knowledge that he would be very raw coming out of college. By all accounts he works his butt off to get better, practicing proper technique and repetition. Shaq was never a great FT shooter, but he improved dramatically by working at it, and helped make Hack-a-Shaq a lot less effective.
    Sorry, but you’re a blogger trying to be an expert.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

JLH is definitely gone. Chaz will be given one more chance. I’m still hoping Nick Miller can be our Wes Welker.

• Bauce Rules

Yeah my boy JLh is gone as is Chaz hopefully…..just got better players. Still like the guys tho but we gotta move to get this lombardi trophy

• J Hill

Ford

DHB
    Murphy

Schillens

JLH
    Nick Miller

——————————————————-

Ford
    Chad Johnson
    Moore

could easily be our top 3 WRs next year.

• armond

my only problem is not takin ellis who is a very talented dt. other than that its a ok draft. we clearly are counting on internal growth to get better as we should. i hope they arent content with just reece at fb. i wonder if they like the progress manase tonga is making. he could be our version john kuhn from GB. lets not forget that reece was p squader for a year or 2 until last season.