Chemdi Chekwa interview

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 at 1:49 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A conference call interview with Ohio State corner Chemdi Chekwa, selected in the fourth round (No. 125 overall) by the Raiders:

Hints that the Raiders might be calling

“Not really. I knew they were interested in taking a corner. I didn’t know if it was specifically me or whoever. I’m just happy to be a part of the Raiders. I was just waiting by that phone, got that phone call and I’m glad they welcomes me to the Raiders organization.’’

Strengths relative to outside corner or slot corner

“Whatever they want me to be. I think I can do both. I did both in college. I think I’ll be ready to do whatever they ask me to do.’’

Amount of pre-draft contact from Raiders

“I spoke to them at the combine. They had contact with my agent and were in touch. I didn’t go there and meet or work out with them. At the end of the day I’m happy they picked me at all. I’m happy about it. ‘’

Needed areas of improvement

“Not in particular. I think I have to continue to get better and continue to work on what the Raiders like to do …. I’m just going to continue to train and get better and be ready to go once the lockout ends and I’m ready to go out there.’’

Comfort level playing man to man

“ I think I’m good at that. I’m a corner. That’s what I do. I’ve been there, I’ve played zone. I do whatever they ask of me.’’

Amount of man-to-man played at Ohio State

“We played a lot of man. We played zone coverages, we played man, we mixed it up. We played some zones where one corner was playing man and the rest of the team would be playing zone. We do a lot of different things at Ohio State but we played a lot of man.’’

The chance to be coached by Rod Woodson

“It’s a good opportunity. When I once met with the Raiders at the combine I also met with him. That would be a good opportunity. I think he will really do a good job helping me grow as a corner and I’m excited about it.”

Expect Raiders to be interested because of your speed

“No, you know, so many thoughts go through your mind during the draft, you know, that I’m just excited that they reached out and drafted me at pick 113 and happy to be a part of this organization.”
Possibility of helping replace Nnamdi Asomugha

“I’m not getting ahead of myself right now. Really at this point I’m just trying to go out there and compete for a position, continue to get better, continue to work on my craft, and be ready to play once I go up there and once it’s time to play in the NFL.”

Understanding of contact with coaches after today

“It’s very limited. There not really a lot because at this point I’m just gonna go back and training trying to get better and once the lockout ends, then I’ll be ready to the OTA’s and things of that nature.”

Where are you going to train?

“I’ll be training up in Columbus Ohio, at my school with the rest of the guys after the draft.”
Condition of injured wrist

“It’s not 100 percent now. I’ll probably be cleared in a couple weeks. And I’ll continue to do rehab like catching the football, I can do everything but full contact for right now. I’ll be cleared in a couple weeks and I’m excited about it.”

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Don’t forget about Ocho Cinco!

• Bauce Rules

Lol give up yall GREAT WHITE HOPE nicki miller. Wes Welker? Lol not even the same kinda of player. Stop MR

• lefty12

Sure you need them to compliment each other,but if all 3 are healthy normally the 3rd back won’t get many carries,if any.And to be honest,Bush hasn’t shown to be the power guy.Last year it seemed Reese was given more of the power role than Bush.

• RaiderRetribution

Should Shilens remain healthy, he will play. His health will determine his roster status.

I do think that both N. Miller and JLH are gone though, even if Moore doesn’t make the roster, I see either Chad or another veteran WR coming to Oakland.

I still see Murphy being traded, have no problem with it either as he dropped just as many passes as DHB; and always blamed the refs it seemed for not giving him a handout.

• armond

bauce, these cats dont understand that taiwan is already our bets open field runner. we needed some one who can make plays in the open field and he can catch. i like him better than mccluster from kc. if we get a sledge hammer at fb we will have the best pure running game in the nfl. we get our wr’s involved in the run game which makes us more versatile than kc’s running game.

• JB

A.B. Paine III Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

JLH is definitely gone. Chaz will be given one more chance. I’m still hoping Nick Miller can be our Wes Welker.
    ***********************

I agree, especially with NIck Miller. They need to give him more reps to see if he’s a real deal. He’s got great hands & seems to get open even though he’s not a track star.

• RaiderRetribution

Mr. Ford & Mr. Heyward-Bey are the Raiders only two locks at WR.

• Bauce Rules

Armond reece just will never be a good run blocker….hope pass protection gets better is all we need from him. Manase Tonga is a real fb and we need to play him this year dammit

• JB

Maybe NMiller is just our RUDY.

• RaiderRetribution

T. Jones is the one that will take N. Miller’s spot or at the very least Mr. Bennett’s RB spot.

also the signing of Mr. Rankin simply means he will the Jeff Oates of the Raiders preseason rb squad.

• armond

chaz aint goin no where. moore is replacing miller and jlh as he should. they arent giving up on chaz just yet and they shouldnt. its no guarantee that moore will outplay him anyway. for all we know this could be the year chaz is healthy. he doesnt have to play all 16 games. if he starts the year and makes it thru atleast 12-14 games then its a success.

• J Hill

——————————————————-

I’d say both.

No need for either of those guys on the squad and opens up depth at say LB for another solid STs player.

• Bauce Rules

Louis Murphy is going nowhere….Al and Hue love that guy to death. No the raiders have 3 locks at wr

• RaiderRetribution

I actually like the draft choice of Mr. Gordon, we will know in two years if he is a great TE or possibly gets shifted to another position: DE, OT, LB.

Gates never even got drafted, I think the Raiders were going for the fence on this one, HR or K.

• armond

108.Bauce Rules Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:53 pm

——————————————————-
    which is why ive called for marecic for months. i think tonga will get a serious look this offseason. i also think we will go after some FA’s o the oline. maybe we draft hynoski.

• dokie

Love how guys here comment on guys theyve never seen play….none of you have the Eastern Wa. Saturday ticket, this much I know

MOST guys taken in the 3rd round dont start as rookies. Period. End of convo.

• J Hill

Yeah, Chaz is a low risk player with that 7th rd salary. No need to cut him. It’s not like JLH, Miller, or Murphy are better players.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

I can see Taiwan being made a receiver.

• RaiderRetribution

I see Murphy as trade possibility as he has value.

• Bauce Rules

Lefster…..Bush is 245 lbs lol….no matter how he sometimes tippy toes still thats a big powerful dude coming right at a db and his skill set says as much. See KC last year vs him? They didnt like tackling dude at all. Hue and Al saw a guy in jones who adds another dimension to the offense

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Moore is going to surprise imo.
    Wisniewski and Barksdale will start.
    Van Dyke and Chekwa will join the crew of McFadden and Ware, for competition. We need competition there as Johnson is on the decline, and all we have is Routt, if Asomugha is gone.

I’m not down on this draft class at all. And with the labor dispute, there’s gonna be more FAs and undrafted FAs that we’ve seen in living memory. Guys like Gaither can be signed to continue to bolster the OL, etc for other positions.

• RaiderRetribution

Hue (on NFL Network) mentioned the Raiders need to address their O-Line via free agency and resign some of their free agents.

• Bauce Rules

Murphy is certaintly better than chaz….jhill you smoke too much herb bruh lol

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

You don’t have to watch EWU games. That is what youtube is for.

Man hue better not re sign that bum carlisle

• los9091

Hey guys
    If Big Al allowed a voting system that allowed the fans to pick the draft would you be interested? Let’s say each vote cost $10 and you had a choice of 4-5 players to choose from in each round. The player with the most votes would be drafted.

All the proceeds would go toBig Al’s pocket book.

Would you do it?

Let’s say there are 100,000 votes at $10 a vote….I wonder if Al Davis would bite on that.

• dokie

A.B.,

Taian a reciever?? What are you basing you opinions of this guy on?? Its not like you ever saw him play…youtube??

• dokie

LOL!! Another Youtube scout!! Oh hell yeah.

• RaiderRetribution

Bush has had four 100+ yard rushing games the last two seasons and that was as a backup.

He has good vision. Teams want him, not willing to give up a first and a 3rd, but willing to pay him starter $$$.

• RaiderRetribution

Don’t knock You Tube, I love watching the spider wasp defeat the tarantula every time; he even went into his hole and pulled his ass out.

• Bauce Rules

DoOkie chute dont pull the end of convo bs as if you are some authority figure around here. This is the Raiders and we never do what most do so your argument is crap. Veldheer puts your bs to bed already. RT isnt gonna be Langston Walker or Mario Henderson

• Harder2000

Gaither, Yanda and McClain are potential FA targets from the Ravens! Yanda would be expensive and McClain would most likely demand some of Bush’s carries, but it is a possibility they consider it imo..

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Dokie, I was joking about youtube you douche bag. The reason Taiwan may be a receiver is because he is a game breaker and the Raiders have no room for another RB.

• RaiderRetribution

I am hoping the Raiders sign Beal of OU, I knew he would fall, but this is riduculus he was a top player DE/LB in the Big 12.

• Bauce Rules

Bush is going nowhere lol….you might as well talk about something else

• lefty12

B,I’m not disagreeing with you about Jones,but I do disagree that Bush is a power back.If he is,he hasn’t consistently shown it.I don’t care if he is 300lbs.Sure,those DBs don’t want to tackle him once he breaks thru the 1st wave,but he doesn’t move the line backwards when he hits it.Don’t get me wrong,I love the guy at RB.

• RaiderDuck

Bauce Rules Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:03 pm
    Man hue better not re sign that bum carlisle

————————————————-

No, but he’ll probably re-sign Mario and/or Barnes. I know both of them turned down deals, but once they (Mario especially) see the ZERO interest they generate, they’ll probably be back.

I mean, seriously: Mario wants to be starting LT somewhere. HAHAHAHAHA

• Bauce Rules

MR SHUT UP…..how dont we have room for another rb? Bennet and Cartwright are replaceable

• dokie

Bauce,

Even though I could barely understand your retardedly written post…..ever heard the term there are exceptions to every rule?? No? Didnt think so

• CliffNotes

88.ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:42 pm
    69.A.B. Paine III Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:33 pm
    I hope the Raiders can find another 7th round gem like Chaz Schillens.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who writes your material? It’s really funny.
    If they find a “gem” like Schillens, let’s hope he comes with his own health insurance.

——————————————————-
    Yeah, because athletes never overcome injuries early and go on to have successful careers. Phil Simms, Grant Hill? Schilens is a potential #1 WR and the team let him recover and didn’t try to rush him back on the field, like what happened before. If you actually watch his games from 2008-2009, it’s obvious that the guy has decent speed for his size, runs good routes, has good hands and can make the big catch. He makes our offense better. Even the last game of 2010 after rehabbing all year, he came in and got open for an early TD.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

los9091 Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:03 pm
    Hey guys
    If Big Al allowed a voting system…
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I kinda started laughing at that point and didn’t read the rest.

• priesttj

Taiwan Jones I dub thee the new “TJ” in the Bay.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Bauce, yeah we could use a third RB. But, Jones is too talented to sit on the bench. He has the potential to be a Pro Bowler.

• Bauce Rules

Mario never could play LT well consistently. He had good moments then would fall asleep. Veldheer snagged his spot for good reason

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

I hate Trent Dilfer almost as much as I hate Bauce.

• Bauce Rules

Dookie chute….you just happen to be a mental midget and are in no comparison to me in this or any arena. Stay in the bike lane or get ran over son. Raiders are always the exception to the rule….that’s the point dumbass

• dokie

No he got the dude in the Pro Bowl?? LOL!!!!!!!!!! Never seen the kid play but hes a PBer! LOL!!!!

• RaiderRetribution

T. Jones will be our 3rd RB, Cartwright is our core special teams player with occasional carries in garbage or a simple running play not expecting (remember Cable was HC) much and knowing he probably would not turn the ball over.

Bennett will be the RB released.

• Bauce Rules

MR you hate Dilfer and Bauce because you hate hearing the truth

• priesttj

We coukdn’t get Greg Little but we definitely got a possesion guy in Denarius Moore is you watch any Tenn film this kid catches everything. In the texas vs the nation game he stood out bigtime. I think Barksdale will be very good in time the nuanceds of the position will take time but once he’s indoctrinated he should be a beast. Nuff said about Wiz kid he is who he is “bloodline”. Very happy about Van Dyke and TJ.

The TE is a blocker……………..period