Chemdi Chekwa interview

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 at 1:49 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A conference call interview with Ohio State corner Chemdi Chekwa, selected in the fourth round (No. 125 overall) by the Raiders:

Hints that the Raiders might be calling

“Not really. I knew they were interested in taking a corner. I didn’t know if it was specifically me or whoever. I’m just happy to be a part of the Raiders. I was just waiting by that phone, got that phone call and I’m glad they welcomes me to the Raiders organization.’’

Strengths relative to outside corner or slot corner

“Whatever they want me to be. I think I can do both. I did both in college. I think I’ll be ready to do whatever they ask me to do.’’

Amount of pre-draft contact from Raiders

“I spoke to them at the combine. They had contact with my agent and were in touch. I didn’t go there and meet or work out with them. At the end of the day I’m happy they picked me at all. I’m happy about it. ‘’

Needed areas of improvement

“Not in particular. I think I have to continue to get better and continue to work on what the Raiders like to do …. I’m just going to continue to train and get better and be ready to go once the lockout ends and I’m ready to go out there.’’

Comfort level playing man to man

“ I think I’m good at that. I’m a corner. That’s what I do. I’ve been there, I’ve played zone. I do whatever they ask of me.’’

Amount of man-to-man played at Ohio State

“We played a lot of man. We played zone coverages, we played man, we mixed it up. We played some zones where one corner was playing man and the rest of the team would be playing zone. We do a lot of different things at Ohio State but we played a lot of man.’’

The chance to be coached by Rod Woodson

“It’s a good opportunity. When I once met with the Raiders at the combine I also met with him. That would be a good opportunity. I think he will really do a good job helping me grow as a corner and I’m excited about it.”

Expect Raiders to be interested because of your speed

“No, you know, so many thoughts go through your mind during the draft, you know, that I’m just excited that they reached out and drafted me at pick 113 and happy to be a part of this organization.”
Possibility of helping replace Nnamdi Asomugha

“I’m not getting ahead of myself right now. Really at this point I’m just trying to go out there and compete for a position, continue to get better, continue to work on my craft, and be ready to play once I go up there and once it’s time to play in the NFL.”

Understanding of contact with coaches after today

“It’s very limited. There not really a lot because at this point I’m just gonna go back and training trying to get better and once the lockout ends, then I’ll be ready to the OTA’s and things of that nature.”

Where are you going to train?

“I’ll be training up in Columbus Ohio, at my school with the rest of the guys after the draft.”
Condition of injured wrist

“It’s not 100 percent now. I’ll probably be cleared in a couple weeks. And I’ll continue to do rehab like catching the football, I can do everything but full contact for right now. I’ll be cleared in a couple weeks and I’m excited about it.”

• dokie

Cuz the Raiders are sooooo adept at drafting! LOL!!!!

• Bauce Rules

Pro bowler? MR put the meth down man

• ENGLANDRAIDER

CliffNotes Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:12 pm
    88.ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:42 pm
    69.A.B. Paine III Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:33 pm
    I hope the Raiders can find another 7th round gem like Chaz Schillens.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who writes your material? It’s really funny.
    If they find a “gem” like Schillens, let’s hope he comes with his own health insurance.

——————————————————-
    Yeah, because athletes never overcome injuries early and go on to have successful careers.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THAT is pretty much stating the obvious.
    If he does that will be terrific but that does not seem to be hapening.
    Schillens was known to be injury prone when he was at SD State. In the draft other teams passed over him for that reason.
    Al took a gamble. That’s all right. Al’s a gambling kind of man.
    The trick is to know when you’re holding a bad hand.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Bauce Rules Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:17 pm
    MR you hate Dilfer and Bauce because you hate hearing the truth
    ——————–
    No, I hate you guys because you are both major douche bags.

• mcskinnnylegs

Bauce Rules Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:16 pm
    Dookie chute….

__________________________________________________

sorry dude but that was fn hilarious

• priesttj

TJ in openfield is 6………….period

A lot like JFord get him in openfield and change the scoreboard………period

• dokie

Hey A.B., you see Jones play in a single game?

• dokie

Priest, you ever see TJ play?

• armond

bauce u trippin about murphy being better than chaz. its all about health with him. he is much more sure handed than murphy. i just hope the injuries havent taken away that 4.38 speed of his .

• Bauce Rules

actually dookie chute if you have looked at our roster you damn right raiders recently have done well at drafting….you come in here just to whine you sound like MR AND kell….sad

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Dokie, don’t need too. He took EWU to the championship game last year. The guy is a baller. Bill Williamson thinks the guys was the Raiders’ best pick:

• Bauce Rules

Murphy’s numbers vs Chaz numbers….who do ya take? Health is apart of the game Armond

• dokie

Damn good drafting = no pro bowlers and no playoffs for what?? 10 years?? Okayyyyyy

• Bauce Rules

No pro bowlers? lol…..I said of recent times RaiderRhonda….i can tell that is you. Notice I said of recent times not last 10 lol

• dokie

A.B.,

Is not a NO? No youve never seen a kid play who you say is a potential PBer??

• dokie

Who are the stars the Raiders have drafted recently??

• RaiderRetribution

AB, your post on espn, not acknowledging Raider picks, was accurate; in fact it seemed they went to a commercial [full screen even w/o ticker at the bottom] every time the Raiders pick was in.

NFL Network was not much better.

• mcskinnnylegs

theres a video of taiwan jumping out of pool backwards….talk about lower body explosion

• RaiderKen

With the 7th round compensatory pick the Raiders take Joe Blow WR from B.S.U.
    project player who can’t catch, but runs like the dickens. Should go undrafted and pick up by a team with a good track team in place.

• Bauce Rules

Lol notice so called AB Paine answered and responds to being called MR? Too funny….gotta love this site

• Kirk

Until the Raiders ditch D.H. Bust we will have a hole in our offense.

• priesttj

Never saw a game but saw his highlight reel he’s essentiall a poor man’s Chris Johnson, the reason he slipped to the 4th was due to injuries, he ran a 4.32 injured. Or coming off an injury.

He ran a sweep and the angle sturned into straight lines. He’s got Bo jackson type speed. very thin biuld lot makeumiss-ability.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Dokie, I never saw Randy Moss play in college either. Yet, I knew he was a potential Pro Bowler because of highlights and football analysts. So, STFU.

• Bauce Rules

We have rising players who are super young RaiderRhonda….dmac murphy ford houston miller shaughnessy….ring a bell? See Veldheer do well as a rook

• priesttj

A scout I respect very much RAVED about this kid….

• RaiderRetribution

Wisniewski = A-

Van Dyke B

Barksdale B+

Chekwa C

Jones B+

Gordon C

draft grade is a solid B, so far in my book [of course mine's not listed anywhere on the NY top seller list].

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Bauce Rules Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:28 pm
    —————
    That’s because I’ve gotten so used to you guys calling me MR. It’s amazing that you can’t fathom two different people on this site that are actually intelligent.

• dokie

DMC and Z Miller ar good players, yes. Murphy is a dime a dozen guy, hes a number 4 reciever on a good offense. Not a star among them.

• priesttj

i didn’t see Mike Mitchell play just saw his highlight reel and was very impressed and I still am….he’s been with us for 2 years now. was I wrong?

• Bauce Rules

Was Michael Bush a bad pick? No……Hell even trevor scott has contributed to the team for being a 6th rounder. Look at his sack numbers. Dookie chuter aka raiderRhonda is still fuming Farglass is gone

• severeraiderz

Lockette should be the pick

• souldogdave

Sure sounds like he’s got his head on straight, priorities and such.Welcome to the Raiders, Chemdi Chekwa.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Dokie, did you actually name yourself after Dokie Williams. He was the DHB of his day.

• Bauce Rules

Murphy is not a dime a dozen and no he is not a sth wr…..he is a 3rd at the lowest and since coming here has made BIG PLAYS….SADLY HE SOMETIMES DOESNT SQUARE HIS ROUTES AND DROPS THE BALL BUT STILL MAKES PLAYS……Rhonda we know you only come on here to be negative

• RaiderRetribution

The Joneses, both ran elite 40 times with a broken feet.

One went for 2 1sts a 4th and a 2nd, the other one late 4th round pick.

T. Jones was an excellent value pick. Fox Sports rated him at #125 overall, we drafted him at #123.

• Bauce Rules

Pick Blaine Sumner….he is an animal and will have a chip o nhis shoulder plus we need him

• ENGLANDRAIDER

178.A.B. Paine III Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:33 pm
    Bauce Rules Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:28 pm
    —————
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That very reply seems to tell us that you are indeed MR.

• GoodOle00

RaiderRetribution Says:
    April 30th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

NFL Network was not much better.

========

True but NFLN did a nice 5 mins at about the 3rd act and a fun interview with Hue shortly after.

So theres that.

On day 3.

Deep in the 6th round.

Yeah.

• YoungAmerican

Been at work today.

Like the Jones pick. Definitely one of the best players available.

Like the Chekwa pick more than the DVD pick. Chekwa was picked right where he should be, and was a more consistent player in college.

So what do y’all think are the chances that this is the third season in a row where DHB is outplayed by a late-round WR?

• Bauce Rules

And whats your issue with Ford? He is not a star in the making?

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Can’t wait for Al to draft another fast guy in the 7th.

• GoodOle00

187. Word life

• severeraiderz

Bauce,

Where did Blaine play???

• Bauce Rules

ENGLANDRAIDER……lol see what I mean?

• hendu

post140, didnt Tim BROWN have a serious injury early on? Think he did,came back STRONG tho

• severeraiderz

I give this draft a solid C….the rest of the AFC west outdrafted us these 3 days IMO

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine III

Hendu, Brown blew his knee out.

• YoungAmerican

So is it going to be Lefeged or Silva with the final pick of the draft?

Blaine played at Colorado school of Mines

• RaiderRetribution

I think the DVD pick was a need pick, I don’t think many expected: Gilchrest, Harris, Gilbert, Moch, Sheppard, Pettis to all be drafted late 2nd early 3rd, 49-80.

I knew Pettis was no going to last until the 4th or 5th as some pundits mocked, in fact one of you even reminded me that Pettis was going to go early.