Could be slim pickings in free agency

The NFL Network put together a list of prospective free agents should the NFL be ordered to end the lockout this week and open its doors.

Conventional wisdom has it that free agency would commence under 2010 rules, meaning players would to have six accrued seasons for unrestricted free agents.

Not sure how complete the list is (it’s missing Michael Huff, for instance), but there are not a lot of players there who would be of much help this season. In fact, two of the better players on the list are Raiders who are in all probability heading elsewhere _ cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha and guard Robert Gallery.

With such a week free agent field (if 2010 rules apply), Asomugha would be the top name in free agency and it’s hard to imagine him coming away anything less than $15 million per year. He won’t get that in Oakland.

Gallery and the Raiders have already mutually agreed to part ways.

It could be the most appealing free agents from other teams aren’t free yet and are awaiting release or trade, with Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith and Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson being two that immediately come to mind.

DENARIUS MOORE Q&A

Here’s a transcript from Denarius Moore, the Raiders fifth-round draft pick out of Tennessee, during his media session at the NFL scouting combine:

Q: Expectations at combine?

Moore: I hit my mark on the bench, repped 225 13 times, and I ma hoping to run a low 4.3.

Q: Do you consider yourself a sleeper in this draft class?

Moore:

Moore: The way I look at it is if they doubt me they doubt me, if I surprise them I surprise them. I am just going to come in here and do what I am supposed to do and reach my goals.

Q: How would you rate your college career?

Moore: It was a little shaky at the beginning and caught on at the end. That’s where I show my talent.

Q: Why was it shaky at the start?

Moore: Getting timing with the quarterback, all the quarterback switching, the coaches not trusting the players and then the players not trusting the coaches and being together. It was real tough, some ups and downs, and a new receivers coach every year and they come in and pretty much don’t know nothing about you. They can watch film but they don’t know your personality or how you played.

Q: It took off when QB Tyler Bray came in . . .

Moore: Of course Tyler Bray had a lot to do with it, he was the one throwing the ball. But also the coaches being able to trust their players to do things right and also the timing with the quarterback.’’

Q: Who do you pattern your game after?

Moore: I pretty much don’t pattern my game after anybody else, I try and be different. But if I would say anybody I would say Andre Johnson and Jeremy Maclin. They are physical, can get off press coverage.

Q: Where do you think you’ll be picked?

Moore: The last I heard was early third or late second, but then again I am in the gray area, constantly moving up.

Q: Why such big production in certain games?

It was just us coming in and getting a game plan to see what the weaknesses were and using it to our advantage. Double-moves, go routes, getting them biting on short routes and then coaches trusting the players to make the plays.

Q: How end up in Tennessee?

Moore: It’s a long story. Me and the running back I graduated with from high school decided to go to school together and we ended up at the same school together and he ended up transferring.

BUSH NOT WORRIED ABOUT SAINTS WORKOUTS

Sounds as if Raiders running back Michael Bush got tired of hearing about the lockout workouts held by the New Orleans Saints as organized by quarterback Drew Brees.

On his Twitter account, Bush said, “I dont care about da saints workin out people please stop sending me that da raider players are taking care of business as well n other ways.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Just Fire Baby

Tom Cable as a Raider HC went 9-6 in our division (including 4-1 against Denver) beat SD for the first time in years, and constantly had our team in the upper echelon of running attacks, although having complete garbage for a QB.

The man had his limitations, but he produced while here.

Hue will have to average around 140 yards a game rushing, and continue to win over 60% of his division games to be an improvement.

Can be done, but won’t be easy.

• Just Fire Baby

Tom Cable went 3-0 in Denver.

First game for Hue is in Denver.

He better win, or he will start off his career vastly inferior to “Cabes”.

• severeraiderz

YoungAmerican Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 2:13 pm
    Apparently TB is pretty high on him as Freeman’s backup, though. Not sure what it would take to pry him away from them.
    ///////////////////////////////

He should be nearing the end of his rookie contract if he isnt a RFA already…dont know what they would tender him at though

• severeraiderz

0:11 something you rarely hear when DHB is involved

• severeraiderz

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

The man had his limitations, but he produced while here.

Can be done, but won’t be easy.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Hue made us into a viable offense….look at the ypc when Cable was here, it was very low. We had good rushing numbers because that is all we did, we had few other options. Six of those division wins came with Hue Jackson as Off. Coord. so he deserves the lion share of the credit for those IMO

• Raider E

Anyone can twist the numbers to say whatever supports the argument they are trying to impress on others. People semm to lose sight of viabilty.

• Just Fire Baby

More than anything else, Darren McFadden deserves credit for our YPC increase last year.

His first two years, Darren never broke a tackle. This past year, one tackler could never bring him down.

One can say it was Hue and better called plays, one can say it was great O-line play that Cable fostered, one can say it was due to having at least an average passing game.

I’ll give the credit to Darren, and his extremely tough-running last year.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

682.priesttj Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 10:39 am
    DHB may yet surprise a lot of people including me. Hard work solves a lot of problems and the kid works very hard at being good. At the combine he caught everything and looked smooth doing it. They brought him to Alameda I believe twice and he looked good.

I think once DHB is able to get past the mental hurdle he’ll be fine. Plus he needs to be more aggressive in his route running he gets knocked off his routes way to often which affects the timing of a play.
    ++++++++++++

Dakota Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 10:42 am
    I agree. DHB seems like he is driven to succeed, so that alone should net him another year or two of time. Doesn’t mean he should be starting if he can’t get the job done, but no need to give him the Russell heave-ho either.
    ++++++++++++

The thing that people keep forgetting about DHB is that he brings a different skill than the other WRs on the roster that is key to the org. He’s already the best blocking WR on the roster and is probably amongst the upper tier of blocking WRs in the league. He has the size and strength to outmuscle DBs and the speed to get on them quickly in the second tier of the defense. Add that to his strong desire to improve in all aspects of the game, total willingness to be a great blocker, and his work ethic to get there, and he’ll likely improve here.

If you watch footage of some of the best Raiders rushing and run after the catch plays, you’ll see DHB downfield making a key block that opens up a lot more space for the runners. For a run first offense, that’s a pretty important skill set. Especially when you can combine his blocking ability along with his stretch the field threat — his hands aren’t so bad that safeties don’t bother to cover him deep — he is a big helper to the Raiders top tier rushing game.

Now I’m not saying that a WR should really just be a glorified blocking TE that lines up wide, because he has to continue to improve as a receiving threat. Still he had several games last season with more than 3 catches, so there is hope. If he can remain a strong blocker, keep the safeties honest deep threat, and pull in 40 balls a season, I’d call that productive.

Sure he’s not 7th overall pick productive, but get over where he was picked and evaluate his total contribution potential as it stands now. Put another way, if there aren’t two clear cut WRs on the roster come the start of the season to supplant him, then that says something too.

• Raider E

I may be in the minority here?, but I am in DHBs’ corner. I really want to see the young man do well and get some reward and praise for the hard work we all know he is putting in….

• Just Fire Baby

********************************

So does John Marshall deserve the “lion share of credit” in the SD and KC road game, and the Rams game, when the defense basically won the game for us?

• Raider E

JFB, Tom Cable is a bum.

• Raider E

I am interested to see where Seattles’ running game goes this year with Cable there.

• Raider E

If they can go 6-0 in their division with Cable as co-headcoach then they will make the playoffs lol.

• Buckeyeraider

‘Sup fellas.
    Just finished reading through the thread. So now the Day DHB was drafted will be a day that lives in infamy amongst the Raider Nation, huh. Sorta like Pearl Harbor or JFK, people will remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.lol.

So here’s my two cents… The draft finally had arrived. Been looking forward to it since the day the previous season ended. Had my draft guide in hand and ready to go.

It just happened to be an unseasonably warm day. Picture perfect. So the wife says let’s take the girls to Kings island. The local amusement park. We have season passes and can go anytime. I’m like “the day of the draft, really?” She said “just for a couple of hours, it’s so nice”.

Priorities, right. Load up the rug rats in the grocery getter and go. Anyway, couple of hours later..leaving the park. fumbling thorough the stations to find BSPN radio. Sitting at a red light, they recap the 1st rd…with the 7th pick Oakland Raiders select….DHB!

GAWDAMMIT. Pounded the steering wheel with both hands. Startled the hell outta her. She jumped..what’s wrong?

The stubborn old SOB just had to do it. Drove the rest of the way home shaking my head in disgust.

I wanted C Alex mack and MLB Rey Mauluga. Just like in baseball, it’s all about strength up the middle, baby.

Oh well.

• priesttj

JFB

We saw what Tom Cable had to offer the year prior to Hues arrival…..we scored 17 TD’s nuff said!

• severeraiderz

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’ll give the credit to Darren, and his extremely tough-running last year.
    ////////////////////////////////////

In the off season we changed offensive coordinators. We moved away from the ZBS and more toward the gap and down blocking style, because of this new coordinator. Darren was asked what type of plays he likes to run and what he feels his strengths are and plays were called that highlighted his strengths and he was able to showcase his abilities. When you like what you are doing, you usually do it better.

• Buckeyeraider

That being said..I’m still pulling for the kid. Watching those Youtube highlights are bittersweet. You can see the potentioal is there, but where is the production in the pros?

It has to be a mental block. It was obvious that he was really pressing as a rookie. Trying to validate his draft status because of all the controvery.

But last year was another lost season. Hopfully year three is a breakout season for him ala DMac.

• Raider E

Anyone ever notice that the NBA is the closest thing to a year round league out there?

• Just Fire Baby

Being a huge SF Giants fan, the whole “DHB is a great blocker” reminds me of when fellow Giants fans use to tell me how great of a defensive first baseman JT Snow was.

1st baseman are supposed to hit HR’s, WR’s are supposed to catch TD’s.

we expect more from our HC, QB Coach, and PGC.

Not to mention the Oline and the WRs

***

Jhill,

replacing Gallery, Satele, Carlisle & Walker means 4 new starters on the O-Line … 2 of them rookies

if continuity means anything, expect a HUGE dropoff in production from the O-Line. Especially since Cable & both of his OL Coaches are also gone.

Most Raider fans assume that change means change for the better, but that isn’t always the case. Plus who knows if/when training camp will start up? Thats valuable time lost for these new coaches and these young hogs that need grooming

You’re basically losing Higgins & NMiller from the WR Corps and replacing them with 2 rookie late rounders. I still see DHB, Murphy, Ford & Schilens getting 95 percent of the WR reps. JLH & lil Nick caught a combined 13 passes last season so it’s not like there is some HUGE void to fill there

if Campbell, McFadden, Bush & Zmiller stay healthy all season, I’d still say 8-8 is a possibility, looking at the schedule … but that’s being generous to the defense which is likely to lose Asomugha & Huff in the secondary!

• severeraiderz

Raider E Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 2:32 pm

//////////////////////////////////////

I usually root for the players that other people dont like… DHB, Run DMC, Huff, Shaughnessy, and Romac are my favorite Raiders. I think DHB’s problems are more psychological than anything, because i saw him make very nice catches in college. He has incredible yac ability and i wish we would throw him some bubble screens early in the season to get his confidence up and give him a chance to make plays in the open field

• severeraiderz

Buckeyeraider Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

//////////////////////////////////////////

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I noticed it with myself when i was playing football. I would make mistakes or drop passes because the whole time i was running under the pass i would be hoping i didnt drop the pass. I was also new to football and as my confidence grew i caught everything in sight. Not wanting to make too much of a comparison but i heard that Cliff branch struggled catching the ball early on in his career as well as freddy b

• raidertalk

638.MistaBrown Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 9:26 am
    Breaking down youtube video’s = hilarious

tj, were you able to take a peek any still photo’s on our picks ?

——————————————————
    I know, we should all be looking at the Tom Cables DVDs to JaMeatball instead.

• priesttj

Hue jackson enfluence on this team is obvious to a football novice to try to deny it is foolish. he had total control over the offense and it showed. He proved himself last year that he has a plan to take this team to the top. He understands the QB position better than most HC’s and understands offensive football like few HC’s. That is why I have a lot of hope for JC because he will design an offense condusive to his skillset. I don’t think Cable had those abilities.

His enthusiasm for the game rubbed off on this team some last year I think over the course of this season that will permeate the entire team. Into a fully functional well oiled machine. WE saw the how that works with teams like N.O. even Dallas to a lessor extent. JC has more weapons than he’s ever had and he’s in the second season with the same system which can’t hurt. I see bright things offensively now we need to be consistent. Last year we had a very slow start I expect us to take off out of the gates this year.

• raidertalk

Continuity is good for the Oline, but what about Veldheer last season? He was able to come in and contribute.

This is the most intriguing Oline I can remember.

• Raider E

I have always liked the underdogs on the team as well Severe. James Jett, Scott Davis, and man o man Authur Whinnington lol…

• Raider E

We are nit gonna have a good oline. I dont even care for Gallery , but I think he may have played a crucial role in keepin those guys on the same page. We are in trouble up front. On the other hand< I think the defense is stout and WM22 is gonna surprise alot of people.

• priesttj

Raidertalk you said that yesterday and I’m starting to come around your way. I watched Barksdale vs A&M and Bama the kid can play. I’ve always thought Wiz was a player I just didn’t want him that high but since we didn’t get Kappy I can’t complain. I would’ve went crazy if we had drafted Greg Little I think he was as good as the top two. But last years picks and this year could all be starters within 2 years. That is great stuff. Veldheer and campbell with Wiz and Barks what a coup!

• priesttj

Raider E explain why we’re in trouble on the line with the recent acquisitions on the line?

• Raider E

Im just not that secure with the thought of throwing rookies into the fire with the shortened offseason and all that is going on with the NFL these days. I will admit that I am happy with the attention payed to the OL in the draft, but they still are kids that are gonna make mistakes. We all know that one play can mean an end to the season for one of our skill players. Im just not confident Priest.

• priesttj

That’s fair! but you have to start somewhere. I agree about starting rookies immediately, which I can’t see that happening. Wiz may start I doubt Barks will, but I will say this I think people are selling Henderson way too short that kid is a better athlete than most on that line and playing RT is much easier than LT and Campbell isn’t a rookie I think he can step in and play well at OG. That IMO makes for a very good line once they get cohesive. And that is the MOST IMPORTANT issue with any line cohesion.

• RAIDERMAN99

I don’t think the Raids are going to miss Tom Cable as HC.

I wouldn’t say Cable was a terrible HC, and I think he was fired more for his personal behavior flaws than for his tactical shortcomings.

The Raids made progress under Cable, but they were still inconsistent and got blown out a few more times in 2010 than should have happened.

The smackdown in Tenn to start the season, getting demolished in Pitt, not showing up against the Niners, lackluster display against Miami, giving away a winnable game in Jax, and a dismal outing against Indy were not indicative of a well coached squad getting the most out of it’s talent.

To be fair though, the Tenn, Pitt and SF losses were largely attributable to JaJason playing like a total POS. It’s doubtful Vince Lombardi could have been competitive on those days.

Still, there’s the nagging feeling that a better prepared squad secures wins against Arizona (remember Grads delay of game ?), doesn’t blow the lead against Jax, and takes better advantage offensively against a vulnerable Colt offense.

All Cables fault ? Nope.

But the bottom line is the buck stopped with Cable. He pissed Al Davis off by allegedly slapping a woman around and opening the Raids to lawsuits, and set a bad standard by bringing his GF on road trips.

He was probably a goner, even if the Raids made the playoffs.

Amazing how the media didn’t have a clue any of this was going on or chose not to divulge it.

Even with the disappointing losses to the Colts and Jags, I felt the Raids were a better team at the end of the year than they were at the begining and even during the 3 game win streak.

The first win against SD was at home and a real nail biter despite the 2 blocked punts. The first win against KC was also at home and also a real nail biter.

The rematch wins were both on the road and real beatdowns.

SD got pulverized and worn out. DMAC pounding in that last TD was a thing of beauty.

KC might not have had a reason to play in the finale, but neither did the Raids. Yet the Raids put a terrific defensive beatdown on the Chefs en route to a convincing win.

So I think the Raids made progress under Cable. With a better QB, I think it’s reasonable to think they’re a playoff team.

I don’t expect a fall off under Hue. I think he’ll have the Raids ready to play and hopefully the team will continue it’s upward trend.

But there’s still a fly in the ointment.

The Raids need a better QB.

• edward teach

Really think Al played it well by holding off on a QB in this year’s draft. Virtually every team that needed one reached for what was avialable this year (which means it’s very likely they won’t take a QB two years in a row), and Matt Barkley and Landry Jones (if he comes out) will be sitting behind Andrew Luck next year. If Davis likes one of them you can bet he’ll try and trade up if it’s necessary, and with everyone taking one this year he probably won’t have to go very high to do it.

I would take Barkley or Landry Jones over virtually any QB that was available this year.

• Pingback: grass seed germination

• Pingback: xbox 360 england import

• Pingback: Boxing Day Deals

• Pingback: gout treatment

• Pingback: fitness

• Pingback: model zed cards

• Pingback: hotel sur nantes

• Pingback: window treatments for bay windows in living room

• Pingback: Microsoft points for free