Draft picks issued numbers

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, May 9th, 2011 at 1:10 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Ordinarily, the Raiders rookie draft picks have already had their first minicamp or be preparing for their first one.

Not so in the year of the lockout, where there apparently will be no ruling today on the stay which put the work stoppage back in place after about a day of the NFL being open for business.

For what it’s worth, rookie draft picks have been assigned numbers according to the team roster on Raiders.com. They are as follows:

72 Joe Barksdale
35 CB Chemdi Chekwa
82 TE Richard Gordon
86 WR David Ausberry
17 WR Denarius Moore
38 CB DeMarcus Van Dyke
61 C Stefen Wisniewski

Wisniewski wore No. 61 in college at Penn State.

No. 76, the number worn by Steffen’s uncle, Steve Wisniewski, will become available once Robert Gallery moves on.

But while Steffen said he welcomed having to live up to the legacy of his uncle, the plan didn’t include wearing his uniform number.

“I don’t think I can take that one, no. That’s his number. I’ll find my own,” Wisniewski said.

Actually, it’s not his number. The Raiders don’t retire uniform numbers.

• Guy

That was the first broncos game Raiders For Life

• Raiders for life

Thanks Guy. I was on the road that Sunday and missed the whole game. I was suprised when I found out about the BLOWOUT.

• SnB Production

Raiders for life Says:
    May 9th, 2011 at 6:30 pm
    JC has another year to prove himself. One thing that I worry about is his “stingers” If he goes out…#2 QB is Boller for now??? I’m still hoping that the Raiders can pick up Devlin if and when the lockout ends. He’s got a funny throw but seems pretty accurate.
    ===================================================
    Are you suggesting Devlin as a “reliable” backup? Boller is the best #2 option…or Frye.

To toss out an undrafted free agent as a viable backup is optimistic.

• SnB Production

Veldheer did well for a rookie. He provided solid play and got a ton of in-game experience…which will pay dividends for the Raiders

• priesttj

Is Kyle Boller as bad as everyone says he is or is he getting the Raider fan blog treatment. “I don’t like him so therefore he sucks” I don’t know but i’m inclined to listen to the coaches. I would live to get a Devlin to groom, but obviously as a rookie he’d be 3rd string or PS but I do like Devlin.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

Veldheer did well for a rookie, a Div II rookie.

But, he seems willing to work and is tenacious. He starts at LT, imo.

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

JC goes into the 2nd year of an offense for the first time in his career.

He’s a heady safe guy. He get’s considerably better this year.

• edward teach

107.KoolKell Says:
    May 9th, 2011 at 7:56 pm
    JC goes into the 2nd year of an offense for the first time in his career.

He’s a heady safe guy. He get’s considerably better this year.

********************************************************

I agree with you, Kell. He’s undoubtedly been told that it’s his team this year. Doesn’t matter who you are, that means something to a player.

Combine that with another year with the same backs and receivers and (with a little more help from said receivers) I think he surprises a lot of people.

• guest123

Godspeed, David White.

I met the veteran San Francisco Chronicle football beat writer, who covered the Niners and Raiders at different points, at the San Francisco draft last weekend. It was the last football assignment for White, who now is on a God assignment. He is leaving the Chronicle to become the senior pastor at the Porterville (Calif.) Church of God.

White wrote a poignant final column for the paper Sunday that I wanted to take note of, because it has so many good points for those he leaves behind, both on the field and in the press box. Whether you’re an atheist or a believer in a higher being, take a minute to read his column, particularly these bullet points about religion and sports, starting with the coach he formerly covered for the 49ers, Mike Singletary:

• “Thou shalt not wear a cross around your neck if you’re going to verbally wring the neck of third-string quarterbacks and local sports anchors in full public view. The Scripture says to take up your cross, not nail everyone else to one. Represent or tuck it in.

• “When thou tear an ACL, don’t say it’s because God lets everything happen for a reason. There is a reason. A 320-pound defensive tackle landed on the back of your knee.

• “Thou shalt not thank God when only you win, and never when you lose. What, is it his fault that fourth-and-inches call was a few yards off? Did he fumble away the game-winning interception? The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.

• “Thou shalt absolutely not say your team won because it was God’s plan. What does the Lord have against the other team? And why should God even care in a world of suffering how our games play out? Maybe you think He doubled down on your end of the Vegas line? He didn’t.”

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/08/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1LupaR200

• Musaeus

“Actually, it’s not his number. The Raiders don’t retire uniform numbers.”

Terrible backhand, JMac. He was referring to the legacy, not a retired number. Try giving the guy some respect based on his skills and abilities instead of relying on memories of his uncle.

• Just Fire Baby

KoolKell Says:
    May 9th, 2011 at 7:56 pm
    JC goes into the 2nd year of an offense for the first time in his career.

He’s a heady safe guy. He get’s considerably better this year.

******************************

After this season, Al Saunders will have been Jason Campbell’s OC for half his career.

According to Priest this weekend, HC’s hire OC’s who run the same system as what the HC wants. Since Hue hired Al Saunders, who had worked with Soup for 2 years in Washington, by Priest’s logic Al Saunders/Joe Gibbs run the same offense as Hue Jackson.

• Just Fire Baby

Pat Devlin has a weaker arm than Bruce Gradkowski.

Al Davis wouldn’t hire him to wash his car.

• edward teach

75 Howie Long
    76 Steve Wisniewski
    78 Art Shell
    81 Tim Brown
    84 Art Powell
    87 Dave Casper

Somebody may add a couple that I missed, but I’d like to see the Raiders retire these numbers.

• edward teach

Jeez. How about 00???

• Raiders for life

103.SnB Production Says:
    May 9th, 2011 at 7:04 pm
    Raiders for life Says:
    May 9th, 2011 at 6:30 pm
    ===================================================

To toss out an undrafted free agent as a viable backup is optimistic.

################################

Boller and Frye are more like assistant coaches. Boller is not that good on the field, we’ve all seen him play. I really do hope that JC has a good year but the Raiders do need to bring in someone to start learning the system. JC has a history of stingers and has to leave the game. Like Priesttj said even if it’s on the PS. It’s not that I don’t like Boller, he is a 7 or 8 year vet? He has done nothing to prove that he is more than a 3rd string QB. Devlin might not be the answer but you never know, wasn’t Brady a 6th round pick?

• SnB Production

JFB,

Its safe to say that JC is on the hook to get it done. Had he lit it up last year, the Raiders would have given him a contract extension.

If JC stinks it up, the Raiders will most likely be in a position to get a much better QB than could be drafted this year.

If Hue Jackson is given a reprieve, then the new drafted QB would have a competent coach.

Anyway, I think JC can do well enough to help this team score points. Whether they win will be up to the defense, which has shown repeatedly its inability to stop the run and now the pass is in question.

• Just Fire Baby

SnB,

We had the plagues of an inconsistant team last year.

Defense would play well for a half, than the offense would stink in the second half. Than vice versa two weeks later.

We only had that comfort level with our division opponents, to where we played complete games in all 3 phases.

The key will be to get the same type of output in running the ball, hopefully a few more plays from our WR’s, and getting turnovers on defense.

• Just Fire Baby

And with that, it’s time to hit the hay.

Got to go to corrections tomorrow at 5am for a benefits fair, and it’s my B-Day.

Working inside a prison at 5am on your birthday. The downside of sales positions.

• raider christian

I will say think Tommy Kelly made Big Rich look better light finally went on for Kelly

• RaiderRetribution

Numbers, I posted this three days ago Jerry!

• RaiderRetribution

O-Line possibility:

C Wisniewski LT Barksdale LG Vehldeer RG Loper RT Campbell

• severeraiderz

Man im watching some old raider games….napoleon kaufman was a beast

• severeraiderz

Chaz schilens being healthy will go a long way toward helping our passing offense….if not I’m hoping Moore can contribute immediately. I have stated DHB is one of my favorite Raiders, but even i dont expect too much from him.

• priesttj

Severe it’s a possibility that you may be able to beat your chest one day and say i told you so in regards to DHB. No one but you is brave enough to put that out there for all to ridicule. If DHB comes through I for one will make sure you get your due.

• severeraiderz

Priesttj Says:
    May 9th, 2011 at 10:03 pm
    ///////////////////////////////////////////

Im probably not on here enough to get any credit cuz i dont think anyone remembers me lol. I and many others were taking up for Run DMC for 2 years and I defended Romac this year. DHB has all of the physical ools, the attitude, and the work ethic but for some reason he can’t seem to get over his mental block catching the ball. He is pressing, Murphy and Ford having success, while being good for us, is not helping DHB and the pressure that he seems to put on himself.

• priesttj

I’m watching the rose Bowl game between Mich and Wash. with Tyrone Wheatley for Mich and Nap kaufman for Wash. What a great game. Wheatley averaged “15 yards a caryy in that game”.

• priesttj

I think his maturity will take care of that, He was really young had just turned 21 when we drafted him after 2 years in the league you start to settle down and be yourself.

• EricTurner_R.I.P.

Sorry, but anyone who sides with the players in this is either an idiot or a proponent of Marxism. No employee should have the right to see the books of their employer. If you don’t like the way you are treated, GET ANOTHER JOB. And ApprxAM, there is parity in the league due to the sharing of revenue. Remove that and you have the joke that baseball has become with half the league never having a chance to even compete with the other half. The Green Bay Packers never would happen in baseball. Unlike other businesses, NFL teams are not competing against each other as far as revenue goes, they are competing as a whole against other sports. It is in all of their best interests to have a financial level playing field and let the talent of GM’s and coached decide the rest. They dont want to put the other teams in their league out of business, though they wouldn’t mind seeing another sports league fold.

The players and anyone who sides with them are ignorant jokes. Go to your boss and demand that you see his books and demand to see what he makes every year and see how far that gets you. Like I said before, if you dont like your job or boss, GET ANOTHER JOB or start your own business. And the players decertifying their union is another complete joke that should be laughed out of court. Once their purpose is served, the union will be back in place. Allowing that to happen makes a mockery of the whole process.

• severeraiderz

EricTurner_R.I.P. Says:
    May 10th, 2011 at 1:42 am

////////////////////////////////////////

Locking out the players makes a mockery of the whole process. The players want to see the books because the owners are crying broke and asking for more money. The players had already agreed to give up 1 billion dollars in the negotiations for the new CBA and the owners wanted more. The unon has the right to negotiate on the players behalf but the players could not sue while they were part of that union. Decertifying allowed the players to file the class action lawsuit as individuals because the league wont let them work and in refusing to do so causing irreparable damage to their career if the lockout drags on. Whoever cant recognize that the players and especially the former players have been wronged is an ignoramus

• guest123

If the decertification is ruled a sham by the 8th district court of appeals or the DC circuit court of appeals, then the nonstatutory exemption would continue to protect owners from anti-trust lawsuits. The players would have no basis for class action lawsuits.

The owners are arguing on the point of jurisdiction, it seems like the owners want their cake and eat it too. Their argument to the Judge is that injunctions are limited and possibly even abolished if the dispute can be argued to have be derived from a “union”. Pretty thin argument here, if that is what they are saying. They need the union to exist after the fact to support their case. Ostensibly, It looks like the owners are trying to shield themselves from anti-trust laws that protect the de-certified players.

As for the “irreparable” damages, I don’t think the players would be irreparably harmed by a lockout. For the most part, they’d merely be reparably harmed. If the lockout is improper, they’ll get treble damages.

• hwnrdr

Good Morning Nation! I’ll be going back home soon to Hawaii. Mom’s not doing too good. She’s holding on but time is short. I pray that I get to see her one last time before she passes on…I would like to ask a favor from you all, my extended “Raider Ohana (Family)” to keep her in your prayers as my family and I get through this difficult time. Thanks in advanced!
    Sorry for the sad news to start the morning…so I would like to end it with…LET’S GO NFL! Let’s get this thing moving on so we can have some RAIDER FOOTBALL!!!

• guest123

Good Morning Hwnrdr.

So very sorry to hear about your ailing Mom. I did the same thing a couple years ago traveling to California to visit my mom for the last time, and she later passed of cancer. I didn’t know it was going to be the last time, but I am glad I didn’t take chances and told her how much I loved her. Go and do likewise. Your heart will be better for it.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. peace.

• Kirk

It is a testament to the power of myth, that people here still think DHB can be a good player. Sorry Raider Nation, there is no Easter Bunny, there is no Santa Claus, and DH Bust will never be a good player. He has no lateral quickness and terrible hands. I realized that after watching 10 minutes of film. But Crazy Al loves 40 times, not film study. That is one of the big reasons we s..k.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

ANY THING U NEED HWNRDR..ANY THING AT ALL,U KNOW HOW 2 REACH ME..

• http://0 Bob Marley

I don’t see how people can criticize Jared Veldheer.

Here’s a a kid who came from something called Hillsdale College in Division II, it’s safe to say this kid had never played against NFL caliber athletes until his post-season workouts where he did well enough to turn into a “sleeper”.

Most people were intrigued about him but said he was definitely a project who would need a year or two to adjust.

Then he comes here and instead of getting all of his work at LT they tried to make him a Center, so he didn’t even had a full training camp-preseason to learn how to become a LT in the NFL.

Yet the kid started most of the season at one of the most difficult positions in football and managed to do a decent job, he obviously struggled at times but that was to be expected.

And the guy is really smart, a hard worker and a great athlete so he should only get better.

• http://0 Bob Marley

Hwnrdr

Post 131.

You can count on it man.

• hwnrdr

Guest, Dirt Lot, Marley…thanks guys!

• guest123

Good point Bob.

And Veldheer is very smart. Like you said, he made mistakes, but never the same mistake twice. He’s learned how to play the position through the school of hard knocks. He’s got that unique physique that lets him swivel and get leverage.

I look for Veldheer to solidify the LT spot this year.

• http://0 Bob Marley

I like the fact that we are drafting some bright kids along with the required athletic skills.

Wisnieski was an Academic All-American, Veldheer was student-athelete of the year a few years ago with a 3 plus GPA in biology and Chimdi Chekwa, besides a track athlete and now NFL player is a friggin accountant.

I’m sure Raider Dell has a new favorite player.

• Buckeyeraider

G’mornin fellas.

Best wishes to you and your family, Hwnrdr.

• guest123

and generally speaking, the smarter guys don’t get into offseason trouble with the law. We don’t have to live with headcases that disrupt the team’s focus. Still don’t get what choirboy Louis Murphy was doing with Viagra at his age. That bust was more embarrasing than anything else.

• bcz24

Sorry about that news Hwnrdr. My thoughts to you and yours.

That Louis Murphy thing is so stupid. If he would have just cooperated in the first place nothing would have happened. He had to be a tough guy and be above the law. He doesnt get to question whether the cop had the right to bust him, thats the courts job. He should get a minimum 4 game suspension JUST for resisting arrest.

• hwnrdr

Thanks Buckeye, Bcz24…
    That Louis Murphy thing should be an embarrassment on him, and when football does begin their year…Hue should bust his chops on it…lol

• J Hill

Hwnrdr,

Sorry to hear the news mayne.

• J Hill

Veldheer is going to be just fine.

So are Barksdale, Campbell, and Wiz.

Personally, I’m not scared to see the 4 young pups starting right away.

• guest123

You’re not scared, but come gameday will JC be scared?

• J Hill

Our Oline has been PATHETIC for YEARS!

We haven’t been able to pass block since Gannon was here.

We haven’t been able to just line up and consistantly run for 2yds when we need it.

I applaud the complete house cleaning and welcome the 5 new starters!

• J Hill

LOL

• Silverandblack666

LOL at #146

the guy does look scared

• J Hill

JC isn’t going to be under anymore pressure than he was last year. Satele, Carlisle, and Walker took turns being the worst lineman on the field last year. There was always a hole on the right side caused by a whiff by Walker, Satele getting rag dolled, or Carlisle getting bull rushed. Can’t possibly be any worse.