Campbell as a leader must come to pass

It seems much of Raider Nation is pleased Jason Campbell has seized the role of team leader during the lockout.

Campbell said in two interviews he had a playbook and was organizing a workout at an undisclosed date and time along with Richard Seymour. Campbell would run the offense, Seymour the defense.

Jackson, a smooth operator when it comes to player relations, has apparently mended any fences that were in need of repair over Campbell’s benching in favor of Bruce Gradkowski last year in Week 2. It was Jackson who went to coach Tom Cable and requested the change, and considering the influence bestowed on the coordinator by Al Davis, the head coach had little choice but to comply.

It’s a nice bit of sleight of hand in that Cable was viewed as a Bruce Gradkowski guy. That may have been true, but the offense belonged to Jackson and he twice opted to have Gradkowski replace Campbell.

Now Campbell is saying all the right things about Jackson and vice versa, a good sign in that the offensive mind and the quarterback should operate as one. There are no more gray areas. In the brief span on April 29 when the lockout was lifted, go ahead and assume Jackson, in addition to shipping a playbook to Campbell, also made it clear what he expected of his quarterback should there be another shutdown.

Campbell, who has never played in the same system for two straight years, is taking Jackson’s request to be a leader to heart.

When asked about the qualities he looked for in a quarterback before the draft, Jackson thought the two most important attributes were leadership and accuracy _ the ability to complete big passes and keep drives alive.

The offseason without the coaches provides a unique opportunity for Campbell to make strides toward being a leader. As far as being the kind of passer Jackson desires, we won’t know that until training camp and the regular season.

Because here’s the deal with Campbell _ he has yet to demonstrate he can carry the Raiders offense on a day when the running game isn’t going well.

His season passer rating of 84.5 last year was the best since Rich Gannon won MVP at 97.3 in 2002, but achieved largely because of five games in which he had rating ranging from 105.5 to 127.9 during which the Raiders dominated on the ground. Oakland averaged 216.4 yards per game in those five games when Campbell’s efficiency was highest (71 of 111 for 1,114 yards, eight touchdowns, no interceptions for a 121.2 rating).

By contrast, Campbell’s rating was 65.7 (123 of 218 for 1,273 yards, five touchdowns, eight interceptions) outside of those five games when Oakland struggled on the ground and needed to control things through the air.

As much as Jackson is talking up Campbell, the fact remains that at the present time, the quarterback is not under contract past this year. Unless they sign him once the lockout ends as a show of confidence, he’ll likely be playing for that contract this year.

There was considerable buzz the Raiders liked Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Sports Illustrated’s Peter King was in the 49ers’ draft room and reported San Francisco was convinced Oakland would have taken Kaepernick had they not traded up to get him.

Whether the 49ers were correct in their assessment, only the Raiders know for sure. If they were thinking quarterback in the second round, it means they weren’t necessarily sold on Campbell past this year.

The bottom line is Campbell can lead all he wants, but any designs he has on becoming Davis’ next Jim Plunkett will rest with him on occasion carrying the offense with the pass.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

244.MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 7:57 pm
    Sup Bauce

***************

Im cool man. Just waiting for memorial day weekend ya know. Younger brother is turning 21 around that time so now he can roll 100 pct lol

• priesttj

I don’t care who’s here and how long Twocents. I come in here to talk football not fight like a 5 year old don’t mind if someone disagreees with me at all. I hate when someone like Stanky LIES on me. Then act innocent. LOLDude is a scumbag of inth degree………..period

245.priesttj Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 7:58 pm
    Bauce I agree lets see what happens this year, we should’ve won last year that wasa better team than we experienced. But the proof is in the record. So I’m looking forward to see what Hue Jackson can pull off.

************

Well I expect us to compete in most of our games but winning games in November and December are what get you t othe playoffs.

• Cool, A’s are off today?

• priesttj

Adios y’all!!

• Bauce Rules

BHP vs Mista is epic on this site.

• tj, I dont lie on you. Shoot with all your gaffs and boot licking who needs to lie?

I’ll keep after you on football related topics and you can call me a racist and a liar all you want, deal?

254.MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:11 pm
    Cool, A’s are off today?

************************************

Today 6-2 over chitown….local dude tyson ross was on point. A’s will be around til the end this season. Our pitching is way too killer plus we got depth like no one’s business. Because of that Beane will go find a bat.

• 8RaiderReign8

You know playing with the Raiders on Madden’s updated roster is a joy. All the players have range. If the players can do this on the field, using their range to make plays, I see a hardfought 9-7 for sure. At this point it’s all about ball management and movement to the right players.

• Twocents

Moderator, give me liberty or give me moderation!

259.8RaiderReign8 Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:18 pm

**********************

I’m not a Madden gamer but I see what you are getting at. The Raiders have a roster full of special type of talents on both sides of the ball. I believe health is the biggest thing for us

• Oh an early game, dam!

Beane will probably deal 3 good young pitchers for one mediocre bat and there you go, 2 steps forward 2 steps back.

• I must be a racist I don’t like B Beane much!

• Twocents

My last comment, how could anyone that is confident be offended by something that anyone else says?

Still we have a few holes on offense: FB,WR1,LG and RG

Holes on defense: WLB,NT,and 3rd DE
    **********

The team as of now I believe can win the WEST but I want more than that. Filling these voids makes the Raiders an elite franchise again

• 8RaiderReign8

How can you not like the Beane? He hits more than he strikes out and our team has been pretty competitive over the decade.

262.MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:22 pm
    Oh an early game, dam!

********

Man please dont say that. Ba luck already hit with Braden being hurt like he is. He was prime trade bait

• If Huff walks then you have another hole at safety. DB is a question mark as well.
    ______

Bauce Rules Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Still we have a few holes on offense: FB,WR1,LG and RG

Holes on defense: WLB,NT,and 3rd DE
    **********

• Bauce Rules

Beane is a good GM butmade a few bad mistakes and lacked funds. The 2011 A’s are constructed a little different and dont play the same type of ball like before. Small ball is incorporated in our stuff and we have ability to win alot of close games plus our pitching is damn near the best in baseball. Our errors need to stop but we have gloves out there. So I expect the A’s to be a hoto topic in September

• 8RaiderReign8

Bauce,

Great post. Health is even more important now because of the lockout. Our gazelles need time to stretch and train with a professional staff. Although, that’s not an endorsement for our training staff.

268.MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:30 pm
    ______

Bauce Rules Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Still we have a few holes on offense: FB,WR1,LG and RG

Holes on defense: WLB,NT,and 3rd DE
    **********

***********************************

I’m not worried about the DBs to be honest with ya. You know I do not like Huff at all. ESPN showed last year’s highlight of Tebow running thru Huff to go into the endzone…my god!. Gotta get soft pansies like him and Nnamdi outta here

270.8RaiderReign8 Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:34 pm
    Bauce,

**********

LOL the players are the training staff. You crazy?

• The safety position is pretty weak across the board. You may not like Huff but he made some plays. Lose Huff and your looking at S Brown and MM, yikes! I’m nowhere near sold on T Branch.

• B Beane simply pissed away too much home grown talent and replaced them with dogmeat FA’s. I just cant get down with that.

• And Bauce, don’t get me started on E Chavez!

Beane sucks….period

273.MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:37 pm

******************************

I’ll take Mitchell,Branch and Brown as my guys back there. Huff was a soft ass out there. Gimme some mean guys who wanna hit and can tackle. We need a stout front 7. Those guys will be cleaning up bodies across the middle this season.

275.MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:40 pm
    And Bauce, don’t get me started on E Chavez!

Beane sucks….period

*********************************

Yeah that move I was against from jump. I saw Chavez suck in 3 straight playoff series from 00-02. I never understood that move. Guy has glove but swings at the high fastball and gets into hella double plays. All I know is we signed Chavy and brought up Crosby lol

• Well you might get that lineup I don’t think AL is big on Huff and no doubt those guys come cheaper.

274.MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:39 pm

********************

Yeah from 2000-2006 a title should have happened. Sadly it didnt but team is way better and play a different brand of ball now.

• Chavez has to be batting around .125 in playoff ball that is hideous.

Is Crosby even in the league?

• Have I been banned???? Moderator??

278.MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Exactly plus we are tougher and cause fear over the middle. Who wants to take that shot from those two?

• Yes you are banned, delete your post and exit stage left ASAP or KK will email Becker on you.

• People on here have said the raiders will go 8-8 or 9-7
    but IMO(which don’t count for nuthin) I believe the if we pick up where we left off. Which I don’t see why not. We can pull ten wins out of tis schedule. 5-1 in the div. An 5-5 with the rest of the league. 10-6.

Any thoughts?

• MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:52 pm
    ———–
    not banned just waiting on moderation.
    You funny though!!!

• Twocents

Oh, one last comment. When Al Davis had to pick between JaMarcus and Calvin I was in a quandary.

I am an amateur, I believed the hype on JR but as it turns out so did Al. Don’t you think that a man who has spent his entire life in professional football would make the correct decision?

• Twocents Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:56 pm

————————-
    he did as so did evryone else. Ja Marcys has talent
    he just doesn’t have ambition.
    Sad so so sad

• Dhidee99

Raiders Took one of the Preseason Games off my Account LOL!!!!

• NBE1

284.r8dercain Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 8:53 pm
    People on here have said the raiders will go 8-8 or 9-7

Any thoughts?

—-

If Hue has FULL control to coach and doesn’t have to answer or explain to Al about anything, 10-6 is very possible given the talent. 11-5 wouldn’t be a shocker either.

• priesttj

Who has a job where they get paid millions of dollars and they don’t have to answer to the boss?

NBE1 that doesn’t even make sense if you give it some thought. Of course he’s going to have to answer to Mr Davis before he makes decisions it’s his team.

• NBE1

290.priesttj Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 10:06 pm

——————

Appreciate your comment. I should have been more specific in my meaning. If Hue has control to put on the field the line-up he sees fit and run his game plan, as opposed to a, say ‘directive’ of sorts coming down from head quarters of who or who not to play, what type of defense, you know, typical meddling stuff. I have so much confidence in Hue I just don’t want to see him messed with.

• priesttj

Hue doesn’t run the defense he’s a an offenseive guy. But I understand what you mean. However you must understand these things are discussed in detail long before the seaosn starts what they’ll run type of system and things of that sort. In games him telling Hue who to play is a myth most people believe it, I never have you can’t coach like that. He knows that more than anyone. After the game he may ask questions but I don’t ever really remember him telling a coach who to play and there have been several coaches that have left on bad terms and none of them have ever said he did that. During the season he may ask why a certain guy isn’t playing if he feels they can help and that is his job. He’s the GM he drafted these players and he pays them. But during a game the coach is playing whi he wants to play. That’s the way i’ve always heard it. You may disagree but that’s my understanding.

• priesttj

they used to say the same thing when Madden was coaching that Madden was a puppet. It’s stupid if you really give it some thought because Back in that day Stabler called his own plays so did Plunkett. Yet they used to say that Mr Davis was telling them what plays to run.

• priesttj

I think the bottom line is people need to understand this Al Davis’ team he owns it he’s the GM and if you don’t wnat his influence on the team you root for. It’s time to trade up!!

Find another team because this team the Oakland Raiders will have his stamp on it whether you like it or not. To whine about it makes no sense it’s wasted emotion. It’s HIS TEAM not ours…..

• Priest,

Al Davis sucks.

Sincerely,

Raider Fan for life.

• MistaBrown Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I see fit to treat purp lips with the same level of disrespect you libtards gave G Bush, grow a pair of nuts and deal with it.

………..

Ha ha ha! That’s what it is? You’re just all butt hurt about the way America made fun of Bush? lol. Well, you just call O bama all the names you want, then. Because you’re going to hear Bush get made fun of for the rest of your life. When you’re the worst president in the post slavery United States and you’re a well noted retard, you’re going to get made fun of.

• Harder2000

@ Priesttj,

You’re right, this IS Big Als team, and he does whatever he himself thinks will help the Raiders back on top! No one can refute that Big Al wants to win! And he does whatever he feel that he can to win – spend money and fires whoever he doesn’t think is competent! But as it hasn’t had any real effect (hopefully Hue Jack is the HQ that fits and can change it), his role as GM is in question! I personally see promise and believe we’re heading in the right direction (finally)! And I have faith that Big Al has a plan that can get us back to the playoffs as a contender, but I understand those who don’t!

– Fans who are not being as optimistic as I (and you as well) and are being sceptical about the way Big Al is running the team are understandable imo – the last decade has been one big disapointment with almost no real improvement (until now – which sadly has been said every year, eroding the phrase.. feels different now though)! This IS Big Als team, but as he is the GM as well and has been sticking by the same MO (despite changes in the tendencies in the league and in the game), it is fair to question his approach as the result has lacked severely (especially since FA as someone posted earlier)!
    When results are lacking, someone has to take the blaim, and that someone is usually the HQ and/or the GM, and as the GM hires the new HQ’s, it is fair to say that Al hasn’t done too good of a job at either picking the right HQ’s, or by meddling too much and screwing up the HQs plan – either way, something has been off!
    The term ‘win, lose or tie – Raiders til I die’ however, is descriptive of the members of Raidernation that has stuck by the team through this long and hopeless stretch, and as long as they support the team and the players when they hit the field, they deserve the right to resent the way things has been, and still are being done by the GM – Big Al! Al had it once – does he still(which many fans question, I have too)? If he doesn’t, they’re right to want him off, and many tried to – remember the big Billboard collection to get him to step back and sign a GM! … But if he manages to turn it around (he no longer goes for players with attitude problems, instead goes for leaders, high character guys and good lockerroom presence – looks to me like Big Al is finally adjusting.. And Raiderspeed – face it, Raidernation loves speed as well!), the sceptics will have to give him credit for that as well!

Buttom line is that winning is long overdue, and it hurts every member of Raidernation to lose – both the sceptical, the optimists and all in between! We just want to win – Just win Baby!
    Being sceptical and hating on Big Al will not change anything unless Big Al himself feels he no longer has what it takes – but the frustration of losing that leads to this scepticism and badtalking is understandable imo, and it will not stop before we yet again become a winning team, or the GM (Big Al) steps back to let new forces into the dark side!

Hopefully it will be Big Al that leaves us back to greatness with this new MO, as it would be a worthy ending to one of the persons that has meant the most in the history of NFL! … But if it isn’t, then new dark blood is needed, and changes need to happen! Time will tell which one will be the key to winning!

• Rhino

Back-up QB this season B.Favre

• priesttj

I didn’t say we can’t question is decision making and second guees the hell out of him. We can curse him all we want. My point is to ask him to sit down and shut up and still pay millions of dollars to someone to tell him what to do is a waste of time.

Second guessing and even cursing him for doing a lousy job is your right. If you pay money to see that team you should be able to boo hate him or whatever. That’s not my point my point is expect him to pay money sit down and shut up is crazy no one in their right mind in any business you seee on earth will do that.

You wouldn’t do it and neither would I. After what he’s meant to that team over the years he has the right to burn it to the ground if he see fit. It’s his team when people say I don’t want himis influence on the team you may as well move on down the road. Because until he says I’m done! that aint gonna happen…………period

So stop spending money or do whatever but stop wasting time and energy over something you know wont change. And shouldn’t IMO!!

No one is going to come into my house and dictate to me what I should do so I have to respect his house………..period

• TerrapinRaider

Where are people getting 235lbs from? RE: DHBs weight. That sounds very speculative to me AND farfetched.