Routt expects Raiders to man-up

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 at 8:08 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Hosts Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan tried their best to get Stanford Routt to say the Raiders’ reputation as man-to-man defenders was overblown.

In an interview on SiriusXM radio, they pressed Routt as Routt would press an opposing receiver.

Surely, the Raiders don’t play that much man-to-man. No one does.

“You can’t play press coverage every damn down.”

Replied Routt: “Basically, you just hit it on the head. We basically play man every damn down.”

Ryan challenged Routt with a 2009 game against Philadelphia when the Raiders blitzed Donovan McNabb heavily and backed it with more zone than usual.

Routt said “we ran a little bit of zone that game, but predominantly, (man) is what we do. If we play 60 snaps on defense, at least 56 of those are going to be man coverage. Everyone in the league knows what our game plan is.”

Kirwan said it must be difficult to play straight man against a three-man bunch set.

`You’re right. It is hard as hell to do that.”

Routt was asked if defensive backs had the freedom to play press coverage or off-man to play to their strengths.

“For the most part, they want us to be in the receiver’s face and disrupt them off the ball,” Routt said. “It’s just the way we do things. We believe in cutting down all the air. From playing tight coverage and seeing up close, the quarterback is going to have to be pinpoint accurate.”

More from Routt on Sirius XM:

On missing Camp Seymour

“I was taking a graduate course to substitute for another course that was only offered in the fall. I just had to ahead and do the school thing”

Routt said he is six hours short of getting his undergraduate degree at Houston _ he is a six-year veteran.

“College, per se, really isn’t that hard, but it’s just something you have to get through. I think it’s important to finish what you started.”

The possibility of Nnamdi Asomugha sticking around

“Until I see it on ESPN or you guys at Sirius Radio or see it in print that he’s signed with a new team, as far as I’m concerned he’s still a Raider . . . I know he’s a free agent and it’s a business, we all get that . . . I hope it works out for him, and I hope it works out for him in Oakland.”

The play of Mike Mitchell

“I think the coaches challenged him and he did very well. His locker is right by mine. We’ve had a lot of talks throughout the season and last year at minicamps and OTAs. There are times he may have been a little discouraged, but in my opinion I thought he did real well. He had good games against Antonio Gates and Vernon Davis in back-to-back weeks.”

Playing with Rod Woodson as a position coach

“During that 24 to 48 hour period when the lockout was lifted, I had several conversations with him. He’s areal cool dude. I can’t wait to actually meet him in person and pick his brain. He’s one of my two favorite cornerbacks of all time, him and Deion Sanders. He’s got a lot to bring to the table and I can hardly wait to have some of it rub of on me.”

Issues with run defense

“We were holding teams to 2.5, 2.7 a rush, stuff like that, not really big games. Then after four plays of stopping the run, stopping the run, stopping the run, it will be a pop, someone will be out of their gap, there will be a missed tackle, the corner won’t set the edge, and it will just explode on one play. Big runs kill your average as a run defense. It’s not just the front seven, it’s all 11 of us, and we need to be more consistent.”

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

KoolKell Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 12:18 pm
    Back in the heyday, Raider corners could manhandle WR’s until the ball was in the air, and really knock people off their routes. Now, they can’t touch the WR after 5yds. So, I don’t think Man2Man is as viable today. That’s why most teams have gone Zone.

The D-Line stops the run, stops the run, stops the run, then BAM. The RB is in the secondary, and the DB’s have their backs turned running downfield.
    —————–
    that’s y rod woodson said in a pressed that the db’s will be playing less with there backs turned this year!!!

• Just Fire Baby

Buffalo? I heard that city is run down and just garbage

**************************

Yup, that’s why you stay in Niagara Falls on the other side of the border.

You cross the Bridge into Buffalo and it’s hood immediately.

Welcome to America!!!

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Meaning they’ll be facing the ball while it’s in the air

• Bauce Rules

MLK started to bust out at seams and wanna have change of heart late in the game like JFK….that’s why he got whacked. Chickens came home to roost! Just like Ghandi,King started to see his non violence passive get my ass whooped schyt was a failure

• aig-raiders

Mistic,
    yeah they were so atrocious that they allowed 80 rushing yds per game against the best of the league when it counted. You are so right.

But let’s get back to your real point here. I’m under the impression you believe the Raiders can be an avg rushing D and still win it all? If not, then let’s not bother discussing any further.

• Silverandblack666

KK

I have no opinion on your MLK debate with Bauce.

I do however have an opinion on your Metamucil addiction and the sponge baths and enema’s administered by your homosexual nurse.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

non violence = epic flop

• Bauce Rules

And Raider E….wherever you are if that wr unit holds up then u damn sure win bet

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

AIG,

for the 50 millionth time a team can win it all with an average or even a below average run defense.

• Bauce Rules

Mistic….KPDK was talkin about Jesus Pimps the other day then get upset when I call out MLK as one….hypocrite to the max

• Bauce Rules

Mistic….no this team with how we play our scheme it cant and wont happen

• aig-raiders

UT is his best position imo Bauce. I think Wauffle had a big ugly NT as well when he was coaching at the Giants. But that’s only 1/3 of our problems. Still need LB’s to shed tackles and mix in a little more zone with our DB’s. DT and LB’s cannot contain 100% of the time. there will be leaks here and there and we need our db’s to cover those leaks. They can’t do it with their back against the runner. Perhaps getting one of our safeties to step up this year and make that tackle vs whiffling.

• Bauce Rules

666…a debate is when two or more people have a real discussion and offer viewpoints,opinions or facts on a certain issue. This aint a debate its me killin bubblegutsKPDK time after time

• aig-raiders

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

AIG,

Mistic,

First, sure sure sure.

Second, I notice you refused to take a stand on the Raiders and your run defense theory.

Can the current Raiders win it all with an avg or below avg run D? Yes or no?

Checkmate.

• Bauce Rules

AIG i agree with ya but its more than a 1/3 of the problem. Henderson needs to start. Best thing for us is Kelly or Seymour get hurt orsomeone is demoted. Cant have guys play outta position

• aig-raiders

Cant have guys play outta position
    ———–

Playing out of position is what we do and how we roll. Frustrating but that’s life as a Raider fan. :)

• Bauce Rules

With a dreamers trade for Osi…..a starting dline Umenyiora-Henderson-Seymour-Houston softens the blow you crybabies see in losing Nnamdi. You’ll get more pressure on Qb and have better chance at being effective vs run

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# aig-raiders Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

AIG,

Mistic,

First, sure sure sure.

Can the current Raiders win it all with an avg or below avg run D? Yes or no?

Checkmate.
    =====================================================

I think you meant to say check please.

Key words in your question, current raiders.

i dont think this team is ready to win a superbowl yet.
    I do think we will be in the playoffs if our o-line improves.

To win a superbowl the team as it is now needs major upgrade on the o-line, and better wr play.

• Bauce Rules

AIG that sorta shhhht has to stop if we wanna gget back to a title contender. would ya go to an engineer for heart surgery?

• http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ KoolKell

R8dercain Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

_______________________________________________

Let’s hope Rod has early success with those efforts, lest his relationship with “the boss” sours.

• aig-raiders

——————
    wait, so are you saying our current D is good enough to be a SB team?

• Bauce Rules

Trade for Osi!….sign Chad!….elevate Tonga!…..get a vet guard! Let’s take AFC West!

• http://www.jerryisatwit.com MistaBrown

KK, you are the butt end of almost every joke in here yet you comeback for your beating everyday like clock work.

Props!

• http://www.jerryisatwit.com MistaBrown

tj I know your out there lurking, lets talk about those exotic zone schemes you and 666Glen kept insisting we run since Routt has made a liar out of both of you.

• Bauce Rules

Our D is not good enough to win a title…we lack a special pass rushing DE, an adequate WLB and a real starter at NT. When we get those two things holla at ya Bauce

• Bauce Rules

KPDK….SOURS? like your sexual relationship with Mrs.Kelly?

• http://www.jerryisatwit.com MistaBrown

Chuck Bresnahan to the rescue!
    bahahahaha
    _____

• http://www.jerryisatwit.com MistaBrown

Bauce why aint you at the coliseum for a nooner against KC, free hot dog day to boot!

• Raider E

Wats sup Bauce?

So according to your source I was correct in saying the WR corp. was set? Im not gonna hold you to our bet though.

• Bauce Rules

Mista…..that Weiner presser was awesome today….the constituents in that area were rough on him. He was someone that many political world disliked and he now possibly leaving open a chance at a repub grabbin that slot lol

• Bauce Rules

Raider E why not? Im a man and owe up to my stuff

• Raider E

I think that we bet we would not come on this blog and I’m not kool with you not being here. Plus I like the way you dog Kool Kell.

• Bauce Rules

Mista…..for some crazy reason I dont like day games like this…..maybe cuz I get too drunk in the heat and I can better manage at night games lol

• Bauce Rules

Raider E i hear ya man….KPDK sucks. How bout some brew game gettin stepped up for ya when ya come to a game if wr unit holds up?

So KPDK…mark down another one Raider E is cool with me

• Raider E

Sounds good Bauce, I like that idea.

• Silverandblack666

Sister Brown Stains

I have never once said we run a complex defensive scheme. You are low on brain cells today and are confusing me with Krapy the adult diaper wearing racist.

Go back to what you do best giving men hand jobs behind the 7-11 for meth money.

• Vinous

A+ for Routt finishing his college requirements

• Pingback: Raiders’ Routt has no fear of constant man coverage