Routt expects Raiders to man-up

Hosts Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan tried their best to get Stanford Routt to say the Raiders’ reputation as man-to-man defenders was overblown.

In an interview on SiriusXM radio, they pressed Routt as Routt would press an opposing receiver.

Surely, the Raiders don’t play that much man-to-man. No one does.

“You can’t play press coverage every damn down.”

Replied Routt: “Basically, you just hit it on the head. We basically play man every damn down.”

Ryan challenged Routt with a 2009 game against Philadelphia when the Raiders blitzed Donovan McNabb heavily and backed it with more zone than usual.

Routt said “we ran a little bit of zone that game, but predominantly, (man) is what we do. If we play 60 snaps on defense, at least 56 of those are going to be man coverage. Everyone in the league knows what our game plan is.”

Kirwan said it must be difficult to play straight man against a three-man bunch set.

`You’re right. It is hard as hell to do that.”

Routt was asked if defensive backs had the freedom to play press coverage or off-man to play to their strengths.

“For the most part, they want us to be in the receiver’s face and disrupt them off the ball,” Routt said. “It’s just the way we do things. We believe in cutting down all the air. From playing tight coverage and seeing up close, the quarterback is going to have to be pinpoint accurate.”

More from Routt on Sirius XM:

On missing Camp Seymour

“I was taking a graduate course to substitute for another course that was only offered in the fall. I just had to ahead and do the school thing”

Routt said he is six hours short of getting his undergraduate degree at Houston _ he is a six-year veteran.

“College, per se, really isn’t that hard, but it’s just something you have to get through. I think it’s important to finish what you started.”

The possibility of Nnamdi Asomugha sticking around

“Until I see it on ESPN or you guys at Sirius Radio or see it in print that he’s signed with a new team, as far as I’m concerned he’s still a Raider . . . I know he’s a free agent and it’s a business, we all get that . . . I hope it works out for him, and I hope it works out for him in Oakland.”

The play of Mike Mitchell

“I think the coaches challenged him and he did very well. His locker is right by mine. We’ve had a lot of talks throughout the season and last year at minicamps and OTAs. There are times he may have been a little discouraged, but in my opinion I thought he did real well. He had good games against Antonio Gates and Vernon Davis in back-to-back weeks.”

Playing with Rod Woodson as a position coach

“During that 24 to 48 hour period when the lockout was lifted, I had several conversations with him. He’s areal cool dude. I can’t wait to actually meet him in person and pick his brain. He’s one of my two favorite cornerbacks of all time, him and Deion Sanders. He’s got a lot to bring to the table and I can hardly wait to have some of it rub of on me.”

Issues with run defense

“We were holding teams to 2.5, 2.7 a rush, stuff like that, not really big games. Then after four plays of stopping the run, stopping the run, stopping the run, it will be a pop, someone will be out of their gap, there will be a missed tackle, the corner won’t set the edge, and it will just explode on one play. Big runs kill your average as a run defense. It’s not just the front seven, it’s all 11 of us, and we need to be more consistent.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• priesttj

As far as I’m concerned the difference in the run D for that SB team was the back7 were very good tacklers. The two Woodson’s and and Tory James were all good tacklers. The LB’s were decent to good tacklers and that helps your run defense stats tremendously.

• Dakota

92.priesttj Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 9:50 am
    Dakota

They call it a NT but in the true sense it’s not NT reponsibility a NT plays on the nose(center) a UT plays in the Agap between the C and G. It’s be definition NOT playing the NOSE. get it??
    +++++++++++++++

Priest like you admit it is called a NT. I am not confusing this with a NT in a 3-4 or a Noseguard in a five man front. It is called a NT so I call it a NT, and you should call it a NT too. And the fact remains that the NT’s (or whatever you would like to call him) job in a 4-3 defense is to occupy the C and G. Playing two lighter 3-technique DTs allows the o-line to handle the DTs one on one on run plays which lets a blocker through to put a helmet on a LB. Can’t run free like Lewis playing with two 3-tech DTs.

You may like Al’s way of having two penetrating 3-tech DTs, but the fact remains that the last time we had a good run D we played with a true NT (Adams) and a run stuffing DT (Parella), and got away with it even though we had a rookie MLB.

• http://www.cnn.com RAIDER

Priest: “Adams didn’t start for us!”

AIG proves Adams was a starter.

Priest: “So what. He was irrelevant! You guys are stupid! you don’t know anything!!!”

lmfao. Unreal.

• Dakota

95.aig-raiders Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 9:53 am
    priesttj Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 9:48 am

Did I say beikert was on the team? your thoughts??
    ——————
    priesttj Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 9:10 am

Adams was only here one year and I don’t even think he started. I think it was Beikert and his leadership more than Adams by far.
    +++++++++++++

I am sure Priest meant it was that dominant MLB we had back then….what was his name? Nap Harris? Yeah, that dude was awesome!

• priesttj

Mistic1 The sfaties aren’t necessarily the main cog as much as an important cog. Every player on defense is an impostant cog. When you have a back7 that can tackle everyone looks good the DT’s and MLB. It takes an entire defense to be a great run defense………….period

• Kirk

This team will never be any good until Al Davis dies. Playing exclusively man to man defense is stupid. It’s the reason we always finish close to last in run defense year after year. You can’t defend the run with your back turned to the line of scrimage.

• priesttj

Adams was decent nothing special………period

• RAIDERMAN99

I didnt say you dont need a good defense. I said you dont need to be a dominant run defense. Tampa and tenn were not offensive juggernauts. They were mainly about defense and running the football. the saints colts and rams put so much pressure on opposing teams by scoring tons of points that it masked their deficiencies in run defense.

Of course you need a good defense to win it all, however if you score a lot, your run defense can be middle of the road to below average & you can still win it all.
    ================================================
    Like this analysis and agree wholeheartedly.

Would add that in the Raid’s best years (the Stabler era) they never had a dominating run defense.

Very good overall defense ? Yes.

Dominating against the run ? No.

As Mistic points out, a prolific offense helps mask deficiencies against the run.

• http://www.cnn.com RAIDER

Sure, hwnrdr. The owners are totally ready to back off of their demands and unlock the doors…but the “lawyers” won’t let them.

• aig-raiders

—————-

Mistic,

can you point out how many of the last 10 SB winners had a middle of the road D or below avg D to win it all? I just looked at the records from 1990 to present and I can’t find any SB winners that won it with an avg or below avg D.

• http://www.cnn.com RAIDER

I agree that a high scoring offense masks a poor run defense. But what does a high scoring offense have to do with the Raiders? The Raiders do not having a high scoring offense, and aren’t even close to having one.

• http://www.cnn.com RAIDER

I was wrong. Raiders actually had one of the highest scoring offenses in the league last year.

See, priest? How hard was that?

• priesttj

These guys are of the opinion that having a dominant run defense is the be all to end all…….and it isn’t. Great defense is what you need a balanced defense that can play run and pass and get t/o’s is the best way to a domiannt defense that wins games.

• priesttj

The Pat’s never had a dominant run defense in fact there defense was average vs the run but very good overall. What makes people think they need a great run D is the Ravens and Steelers winning.

I watched the niners win for years with great defense but the weren’t the Steelers vs the run. Also the Giants were damn good on defense but it was vs the pass where they excelled. The beat the hell out of your QB.

• Bauce Rules

Dakota<——damn sure knows what he is talking about. Yall better hope SnB doesnt chime in becuz you know he will side with me and DAKOTA

• priesttj

The difference is cannot be terrible vs the run, you have to be at least decent. Top 15 or close I’d say.

• Dakota

113.priesttj Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 10:16 am
    ++++++++++++

Dominant? I would settle for run-of-the-mill run D.

• priesttj

Bauce it’s the narrow sighted opinion that you have everything is DT’s you never mention tackling man. That is the KEY to great run D.

And gap discipline is crucial with out gap discipline the integrity of any scheme is null and void. You must play great gap responsibility to have a chance.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

aig-raiders Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 10:05 am

—————-

Mistic,

====================================================
    AIG,

Im talking strictly run defense. I just gave you 3 teams that had less than stellar run defenses and won it all saints colts rams. I cant make it any more plain than that for you bra

• Bauce Rules

We running Al Davis’ defense plain and fkin simple! You what what u fkin need for it to work? You need DEs that give hell off the edges and DTs that clog middle plus collapse the pocket on a consistent basis! Dont give me ur BULLSCHYT that this aint the case!

• priesttj

Any OC with a brain can out scheme a couple of great DT’s with a bad back7.

• priesttj

Bauce listen bruh that is NOT ALL YOU NEED…….your back7 must play great gap defense and tackle ior else the front4 don’t matter…………period

• priesttj

That’s why when Gerrard Waren was here the man did HIS job but the guys behind him basically sucked. You guys expect the front4 to do everything and it impossible.

• Silverandblack666

I agree with Bauce and Dakota

• Dakota

This argument is exactly why the Raiders can’t find a good D-Coordinator who will take the job.

You are generally forced to play with 2 3-tech DTs so Al can go after the QB, along with single deep zone safety play and man to man with the CBs.

I don’t know how the coaching staff convinced Al to get the DTs we needed in 2001-2002. Sometimes Al listens, but then falls right back into his comfort zone.

• Dakota

correction-single deep safety.

• Bauce Rules

Our DEs aint been schyt since Lance Johnstone 2000 imo. Burgess sucked and was scared to play RDE. He sucked vs run too. The DT combos have been awful and get beat up week in and week out. Year after you ass plugs making same excuses when besides the oline, the dline is the main culprit in this nightmare

• Bauce Rules

BHP….GERARD WARREN fkin sucked as a run stuffer. He is a 3 tech guy and constantly would shoot gap instead of have some discipline and take on two blockers allowing many big runs. Go watch 08 and 09….teams ran rigght at him

• Bauce Rules

BHP if your big uglies suck vs the run then yyour entire defense sucks vs run

• Bauce Rules

Lol someone mentioned Rams and Saints as evidence? hahahahahahaha. Saints two years ago werent gettin gashed left and right. Rams in 99 didnt either. were they elite? No. but compared to us they were

• aig-raiders

Mistic,

====================================================
    AIG,

—————-

You said a team that can win it all with an avg or below D….I proved that you can’t find any such team in the past 20 yrs.

You requalified your statement as no need stellar run defenses….let’s try again.

Colts 2006 – Regular season was ranked last in Rushing D at 171 yds per game. It was widely acknowledged by the league that Bob Sanders make that run D. They got Bob Sanders back just in time to close out the season and they allowed 82.8 rushing yards per game in the post season. 82.8 was the 2nd best in the nfl postseason that year.

Would you care to do some homework on the other 2 teams to back up your statement? BTW, is the Raiders offense capable of being the 1997 Rams or 2009 Saints offensive juggernauts? NO.

• Bauce Rules

Colts? I laugh at that. Colts get no credit from me. Thats a Rex Grossman gift wrapped title…which translate to bullschyt

• priesttj

Dakota do you know what a 3tech is? A 3tech is NOT a player lol…………lol it’s a technigue!!

A NT is NOT a player it’s a technigue. You don’t draft a NT you draft a player who can play NT…….there is a difference.

It’s not like other position where you draft a RB or QB or WR on the line it’s playing the nuances of the position. Each player on the Oline and the Dline is playing a different position or technigue.

While you don’t draft a WR to play HB you don’t draft a QB to play HB or WR. The same is true when you’re dealing with position on the lines a RG is very different from LG so is LT RT as well as C. 1tech is very different from 3tech. Trust me sometime sthe same playeer can do both but they are different.

• Dakota

Yes if you have an extraordinary offense you can be lacking in run defense.

Call me when we have Manning or Brees lighting up the scoreboard.

Until then, give me a NT, safeties who can tackle and a d-coordinator who can get us to at least middle of the pack on run D.

• Bauce Rules

There are 32 run defenses in NFL…..do you honestly believe the Raiders can even be average? Can we be from 15th to 18th with Seymour and Kelly as the main DTs? I say hell no again! Seymour and Kelly go backwards alot fkin up the RoBeast at MLB

• priesttj

Bauce a gifr wrapped title?? I’l take one anytime I can get one………..please!

• Master Beeecham

Well blog dweebs, that was a tough loss last night. Instead of drinking margaritas out of my one of a kind replica Stanley Cup I pounded a sixer of Zima.

My ladies did some interpretive dancing to Bryan Adams “Cuts Like a Knife” which got me back in the mood for some sweet jacuzzi action. So we cranked up the PARTYBRO 8500 and assumed the 69 position.

Anyway, I’m starting a fresh new campaign to get McCourt carried out of LA. Literally. I need a few blog volunteers to kidnap the fool, strap him to my Reggae Party Boat, then we’ll dump him near Catalina Island, Dexter style.

PARTY PEOPLE REGULATE

• priesttj

I say hell yeah, if we tackle that’s the key.

• Bauce Rules

BHP 06 COLTS didnt impress me. Rex Grossman lol was down 22-17 in 4thh ball on colts 30 its 2nd and 1 then its 4th and 30 hahahahahahaha

• JT52

I think RoMac can have an impact like a Brian Urlacher. He is big and fast and smart at his position. Do not compare stats because the schemes are different, but in terms of a leader and a presence on the field I believe he can carry our D now in his second season.

• Bauce Rules

And yes I coined the RoMac nickname last year but just like old school Voltron cartoon monster I’m calling him the RoBeast

• priesttj

Bauce not one person in here has said that out DT’s can suck and we win…….that’s ludicrous!!

All I’m saying as well as Jhill is that the run D is NOT the fault of our DT’s it’s the entire D………..period

I love our DT’s they play this scheme extremely well. We just need to tackle like Stanford Routt tried to explain.

• aig-raiders

Call me when we have Manning or Brees lighting up the scoreboard.
    ——————-
    hahahaha too funny or add Warner to that too.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# aig-raiders Says:

AIG,

here is my direct quote.

“You dont have to be a dominant run defense to win it all if you can score. Ask the colts, saints, and the rams.”

I havent “re-qualified” anything. I was talking about the RUN defense specifically.

Do you have anything else?

• Bauce Rules

BHP I THOUGHT I WAS BIGGEST HOMER BUT YOU WIN THAT TITLE!……. No way if Seymour and Kelly start all year as DT combo will we be middle of road vs run

• priesttj

Bauce the colt’s had to get there to get that gift wrapped title. I was thoroughly impressed more than the Pat’s gettin there on the cheap.

• Bauce Rules

BHP our DTs suck vs the run…..Kelly and Seymour run rate numbers show that teams are successful running at them

• aig-raiders

funny…in highschool and college, the guy that bragged the most about bagging women was usually the guy that got laid the least.

Dang you guys watching the US Open? Frickin Dustin Johnson and Phil both got water in the first 2 holes….

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Bauce Rules Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 10:44 am

=============================================

i mentioned these teams of examples of teams winning the Superbowl with ordinary run defenses. The run defenses these teams had were middle of the road at best.

• priesttj

Seymour went to the probowl and Kelly should’ve.