TE Miller not a hot commodity

Perhaps it’s because not many teams have a burning need to add a tight end. Maybe his asking price is too high, or teams are leery of his injury history. Whatever the reason, tight end Zach Miller has not been as hot a commodity on the free agent market despite his impressive resume in four seasons with the Raiders.

Someone from the Miller camp said he is surprised that there haven’t been many teams willing to offer him a huge contract. That person also said that he remains hopeful that once teams address more-pressing needs, that Miller will generate plenty of interest.

This comes as welcome news for the Raiders, of course., They want Miller back, by all accounts, and they need him back in their offense. He was their leading receiver each of the past three seasons and someone who takes pressure off everyone else because of his dependability and consistency.

The Raiders are working on a long-term deal with linebacker Kamerion Wimbley that would free up some much needed salary-cap room. Wimbley’s agent and the Raiders have exchanged figures, and they are tyring to finalize a deal that would get the Raiders out from under the $11.3 million cap liability that comes from the franchise tag offer that Wimbley signed.

Miller has heard from numerous Raiders, including quarterback Jason Campbell.

“Yeah, I text (free agents) and everything, let them know we need them and want them back,” Campbell said.

Without Miller, the Raiders are rather thin at tight end. Veteran Brandon Myers is the No. 1 tight end in Miller’s absence, but he has spent his entire career as a backup and special teams player. Rookies Richard Gordon and David Ausberry can’t be counted upon to fill Miller’s void anytime soon.

In the meantime, Miller sits and waits for an offer to come that rewards him with the kind of compensation commensurate with his play the past four seasons. Don’t be surprised if the best offer winds up coming from the Raiders.

Steve Corkran

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

Some players are Loyal Timmie Brown…

• SilverNutSack

RaiderRetribution Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

if Gaither is not healthy do not sign him, go after Waters.

Waters as a starting left guard would be an excellent teacher between 2nd year LT Mr. Vehldeer and rookie center Mr. Wisniewski

we could then have our veteran Mr. Loper at RG next to rookie RT Mr. Barksdale

Vehldeer Waters Wisniewski Loper Barksdale

reserves Parsons, Campbell, Lamaak and Satele or Mawae

______

This, that is.

• Thec07

I am not so much stuck on the fact that we went hard in the paint or not after Chad Johnson. My issue is that you are saying we are set and yet we did talk to Johnson… If we are set as you would like to think, why waste time on Chad when we really don’t want him..

• priesttj

Nnamdi didn’t get what I thought he would so it’s clear HE DIDN’T WANT TO BE HERE………..make sense?

• From the Bay 2 L.A. 2 Las Vegas

Who have we signed in FA.. other than our own?

• lefty12

We are happy with what we have,but if we could have gotten him for a couple of 7ths,why not.He would definitely be better than any 7th rd draft pick.You look at it as if we attempted to get him.I look at it as if we were kicking tires-if he doesn’t cost anything I’ll take him.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

I agree with the Priest. Too early to give up on DHB. Remember how bad McFadden looked before last year. If DHB shows half the improvement McFadden did, the Raiders offense will be scary.

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

Haynesworth cant practice yet not ready

• ENGLANDRAIDER

priesttj Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 11:50 am
    Campbell made Miller look pretty good last year
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now Priest, you know that’s not true. If anything the reverse is true and he also made Bruce look good, etc.

Miller might not sign and so now half the blog is declaring he sucks.
    Yeah, right. If he was good when he played here, he’s still good and the same applies to Aso.

• SilverNutSack

Vick won’t be as effective this year… that will be their downfall.

• SilverNutSack

priesttj Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

__________

precisely

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

McFadden was a stud player before he came here. Was DHB? Was he better then Crabtree or Maclin?
    McFadden had a set of skills he has improved opon. What has DHB done to get better?

Plus McFadden was hurt those first few years as well. I’m not a hater. I just think we are spinning our wheels.

• noteasilyimpressed

Raiders | Will not sign Jared Gaither
    Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:01:32 -0700

The Oakland Raiders have decided against signing free-agent OT Jared Gaither (Ravens).

0 Comments | Share: | Source: ESPN – John Clayton

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl/#ixzz1TcqGcMQ5

• lefty12

Thec,you are never set-at least you should never think that way.Now,I believe JC is our starter-he has earned it no question.But if I could get Brady for cheap,why wouldn’t I get him- even though I’m set at QB this year.

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

Our D was prety good last year 2nd in leauge in sacks so we lost Aso and Huff. Branch moved to Free M34 to Strong CJ37 at Corner no lost in my opinion

• 89052RAIDER

I love Miller, but I am ok with him walking if he will not take a fair market value contract. The front seven is going to be fantastic and I believe Chaz will stay healthy so Al and Hue will make due after the FA dust settles.

• hellsbells

Wonder if anyone signs Gaither? Bet he wanted to play LT and we said he had to ply RT. Hope that is not the case.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Before last year, McFADDEN fumbled, tripped over his own feet, and didn’t break tackles. He looked like a bust.

Now he is a BEAST.

• plataynegro

Thec,

I heard that we were gonna sign C.Johnson after he was cut by the Bengals. I don’t think Al even offered anything to them for him. His tie to HJ is the reason he was coming here. So it would of been a FA move. And I am with you, they weren’t doing it out of charity for Chad, they believe a solid vet will help.

I am also with a lot of you that Floyd would help, if healthy. And so will Chaz. Do we want 2 injury prone
    WRs waiting weeks for a return?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

J-Raider in Kentucky!

You still out there?

• noteasilyimpressed

Clayton: Gaither out; Barnes in for Raiders

July, 30, 2011
    Jul 30

4:50

PM ET

Comments29

By Bill Williamson

ESPN’s John Clayton is reporting the Oakland Raiders have decided not to sign Baltimore tackle Jared Gaither. The team visited with him Friday and it was reported by multiple outlets that he agreed to terms.

I’d say the very likely reason why Gaither was not signed was his injured back. He missed all of last season with a back injury. Friday night, Oakland coach Hue Jackson, who coached Gaither in Baltimore, said they wanted to make sure he was healthy.

Instead, the Raiders agreed to a one-year deal to bring back Khalif Barnes. Clayton said Barnes is currently slated to start at right tackle. If third-round pick Joe Barksdale comes on strong, perhaps he’ll join Jared Veldheer as a starter.

Barnes started three games for Oakland last season.

When healthy, Gaither is a better player than Barnes. So, this turn of events is a dose of bad news for the Raiders, who are trying to fix their problems on the offensive line. Perhaps when healthy, the Raiders will revisit signing Gaither, but for now, it appears they are going in another direction.

Terms of the Barnes deal weren’t available, but the one-year contract, the source said, was worth more than the minimum salary because they brought back Barnes to start at right tackle. They haven’t re-signed tackle Mario Henderson.

• CuzImaRaider

noteasilyimpressed Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:15 pm
    Raiders | Will not sign Jared Gaither
    Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:01:32 -0700

0 Comments | Share: | Source: ESPN – John Clayton

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl/#ixzz1TcqGcMQ5

——————————————

God, Corkran was all over this…wait?

• CuzImaRaider

noteasilyimpressed Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:15 pm
    Raiders | Will not sign Jared Gaither
    Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:01:32 -0700

0 Comments | Share: | Source: ESPN – John Clayton

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl/#ixzz1TcqGcMQ5

——————————————

God, Corkran was all over this…wait?

• YoungAmerican

Raiders’ remaining options in free agency:

OT Jammal Brown
    OG Reggie Wells
    OG Brian Waters
    WR Malcolm Floyd
    WR Braylon Edwards
    FS Dashon Goldson
    FS Jarrad Page
    CB Antonio Cromartie

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

DHB was pretty raw when he got here I think he works hard to get better hope this is the year

• TerrapinRaider

Not sure I’m buying what Clayton is selling. Since when was Barnes a starting RT for us????

And the ZMiller rumors of contact from Miami to only be corrected by the Miami Herald??

• 89052RAIDER

DonManoukiansNeighbor Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Very true and DMAC had some huge game sprinkled in before last year.

• Kirk

DHB works very hard. He just doesn’t have the talent.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Now he is a BEAST.
    —————————————————–
    I will give you that. He did trip over a lot of sprinkler heads. But he was still way better at his position the DHB was at his as a rookie.

I hope DHB turns the corner. But I just dont see it.

• Kirk

While in Jacksonville, Barnes earned the nickname of “Khawiff” due to his frequent missed blocks in the passing game, leading to sacks. Barnes played left tackle exclusively during his time in Jacksonville, where he typically had to face the opposing teams’ best pass rushers.

• From the Bay 2 L.A. 2 Las Vegas

I remember when Jerry was here…he would break news 1st!

Now we depend on our own bloggers and sources…we should get promoted!

Jerry if your out there send me an application for the insidebayarea I will gladly fill it out!

;)

• severeraiderz

Lol didn’t ESPN also report that we were signing him? Ill wait until Hue makes an announcement at the end of practice before I take this report seriously

• CuzImaRaider

From the Bay 2 L.A. 2 Las Vegas Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I remember when Jerry was here…he would break news 1st!

Now we depend on our own bloggers and sources
    ——————————————

This is too true!

• YoungAmerican

Trent Edwards is a Raider.

• 89052RAIDER

We can roll with Barnes and Veldeer will have to man LT. I believe Veldeer has the goods and is a tough SOB. I like Barksdale at G the more I study him. 39 starts in the SEC will speed up his learning curve. I like the fact that we didn’t rush to sign Gaither and then he blows his back out in camp. This may allow us to use the Money to get a vet WR.

• Kirk

Khalif Barnes arrest video….

• ArmChair GM

Priest-

I need some of your good Vibes, cause my excitement is starting to fade.

Lose the best corner in the league, Haven’t made ANY meaningful moves in free agency, NOT ONE!

Still up in the air about Bush, Miller….

I like the coaching choices with Hue Jackson, Wiz, Woodson, etc….but hhat exactly have we done to significantly IMPROVE the team ON THE FIELD over last season.

I’m not an Eagle fan by ANY stretch of the imagination, but what they are doing in free agency is nothing short of IMPRESSIVE!

What’s wrong with us?

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

I expect Houston, Veldeer, Ford and McClain to improve by leaps and bounds this year.

• 89052RAIDER

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

So true…Houston and Mcclain, and MS are going to crack skulls. One or all three may explode. Front seven could be special.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

I remember when rhe Redskins loaded up with all the top free agents and it blow up in there face. Does that make you feel better GM?

• RaiderLen

Rep1Sports Rep 1 Sports
    by VittorioTafur
    QB Trent Edwards has agreed to terms with the Oakland Raiders. Congrats Trent!
    ——————–
    This just in.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Khalif Barnes has a one year contract. Don’t actually think much of him but it’s good to see that there will be SOME veterans
    This year in particular, veterans are going to be important. Veterans are going to do a lot better than rookies given the situation of the lock-out.

• plataynegro

Armchair, fear not about Michael Bush. He is restricted and can’t practice until Aug 4th anyway. And if someone does sign him first, we have the right to match or get their 1st and 3rd rd picks next year.

• 89052RAIDER

Why is anyone’s sucker in the dirt? This front seven can be stout against the run. We have not had a crew like this in years. Wimbley was a steal last year and we have young guys ready explode.

• CuzImaRaider

YoungAmerican Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 2:29 pm
    Trent Edwards is a Raider.

Just seen that on Jerry’s Twitter, hmmm.

• TerrapinRaider

Again, since when was Barnes a starting RT for us? I really cannot remember.

And why would the Raiders state that he is the starter? Doesn’t make sense when you have BCamp & Barksdale that can compete when Barnes has largely been a backup for us.

Just not buying that part of what Clayton is selling. Maybe he’s reaching a bit, vying for relevancy in an Adam Sheftner world.

Just because we sign Barnes while looking at Gaither doesn’t mean Gaither failed and Barnes is the named starter. Maybe Gaither did fail, but I’ll wait to hear that from Hue that they are no longer in pursuit becuase half of Claytons report makes little sense to me.

• RaiderLen

Jerrymcd Jerry McDonald
    Raiders sign QB Trent Edwards, according to Rep1 Sports. Agent is Bruce Tollner, son of former Raiders passing game coach Ted Tollner
    ——————————
    Now from Jerry.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

EnglandRaider, Who do you like in the big showdown today?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Jerry’s enjoying himself on twitter.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson