Raiders re-sign FS Huff

The Raiders announced the re-signing of veteran free safety Michael Huff on Sunday.

Huff was an unrestricted free agent after spending his first five seasons with the Raiders. He likely will remain in the starting role he has occupied for most of his NFL career.

The Raiders still are toying with the prospect of finding a better mix among their safeties, with Tyvon Branch, Mike Mitchell and Stevie Brown pushing for starting spots and enhanced roles.

Huff blossomed into a solid player two seasons ago, and the Raiders were intent upon bringing him back. Huff, like other players who signed new deals, is not eligibile to practice until Aug. 4.

Today’s practice begins at 3:30 p.m. We will keep an eye out for Huff on the field and seek comment.

Steve Corkran

• The Judge

YES! I like this

• YoungAmerican

First of all, it brings back a veteran presence to a defensive backfield that lost its best player. Some continuity will take the pressure off the other guys in the secondary – and we’ve seen the Raiders win games with Routt-Johnson-Branch-Huff.

Secondly, there are few guys out there who have had any experience whatsoever playing single-deep free safety. Not a lot of guys can do it. Huff may not do it well all the time, but better to bring back a guy who knows the role and has had SOME success at it than try to plug in a guy like Goldson or Branch who may not necessarily have the skills to cut it.

Thirdly, it gives Stevie Brown more time to develop. The kid has some promising skills, but now without being able to focus his coverage on one side his job becomes a lot tougher in year two.

Fourthly, it allows the Raiders to platoon Branch and Mitchell at SS. Both guys have slightly different skill sets. Mitchell is a better run defender and covers TEs better. Branch is a quicker, more dynamic, more instinctual player who I think will bounce back nicely in 2011 after a rough 2010 – he was my pick for the whole “Surprise Player of 2011″ thing, but I feel a whole lot better about that pick with him moving back to SS.

• YoungAmerican

Now the Raiders just need to add a couple more offensive pieces. Zach Miller should be the priority here, and will not be as expensive as once thought.

I’d like to see Atlanta LG Justin Blalock signed, but I have a feeling that the Raiders are happy with their guards, especially since they likely restructured Carlisle. Blalock will also command a lot more money than he’s probably worth.

In light of that, I think the Raiders should move on Braylon Edwards. Snatch up a talented young player while his value is low. Even if he gets suspended, he’ll provide an immediate boost to the offense after four games. He’ll also help draw coverage away from Ford and DHB, who are the kind of receivers you want to see work in space.

• SlvrBlkLoco

He has become a dependable player the last 2 seasons, if he doesn’t progress and the other safeties do, he we be a dependable backup and we still have depth and players used to switching positions and playing with each other.

• 1234567

I think the plan is just to strengthen the DBs, in general. Whhether its the CBs, SS, or FS. And thats where Rod Woodson is key. Because as tragic as that 5 saftey set was, I think the goal is to get this team to a point where the DB is interchangeable at any given time. And a few of our DBs have time playing both S and CB. And between a lot of our DBs you can find that height, weight, speed commonality. Im very interested in hearing about any progress with the DBs and what affect Woodson is having on them.

• SlvrBlkLoco

Also Rod Woodson can have a huge impact on how Huff

• big oak boy

huff sucks period

• morilla

Gaithers tweet makes it sound like there is a possibility he will be a Raider down the road. Just speculating here.

JaredGaither – i’m sorry guys sometime thing just don’t go as planned but its will work itself out in the long run…
    about 20 hours ago
    Retweeted by VittorioTafur

• big pep

aight then dorkran, did you just wake up or what? cause this is old news now.

• armond

618.armond Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:36 am
    vonta leach is now a raven. anyone want to get mcclain now?

• SlvrBlkLoco

and the other players in the secondary develop, it will be fun to watch.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

NFL.com is reporting the Raiders are fighting the Jets for the services of New York cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

Cormartie would replace Nnamdi Asomugha and would team with Stanford Routt.

It would give Oakland a decent pair of cornerbacks, but Crormartie is not in Asomugha’s class. Cromartie makes some plays, but he is not very instinctual and he takes a lot of chances.

He won’t be cheap, either. The Jets want him after losing Asomugha, so the price tag will be high. If signing Cromartie hurts Oakland’s chances of doing anything else (including keeping Pro Bowl tight end Zach Miller) that would be concerning.

Perhaps helping keep Miller in Oakland, Todd Heap has agreed with Arizona. So, there goes another tight end job. That’s good news for the Raiders.

At this point, I’d be very surprised if Miller did not stay in Oakland.

Houston fullback Vonta Leach has gone to Baltimore. The Broncos were reportedly in on him.

This is what Asomugha had to say about joining the Eagles: “When a team wants you, you can feel it. And when you feel that match, I don’t think you can shy away from that.”

I get the feeling Asomugha never had any intuitions of going back to Oakland.

• 1234567

“Secondly, there are few guys out there who have had any experience whatsoever playing single-deep free safety. Not a lot of guys can do it.”

CAN NOT be understated. It takes a strong individually MENTALLY to be able to be successful. At the very least, Huffs “experience” is an asset.

• morilla

??? Huff had a pretty good year last year. I wouldn’t say he flat out sucks.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Big Pep Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:38 am
    aight then dorkran, did you just wake up or what? cause this is old news now.
    —————
    I broke this story to the blog 5 hours ago. Way to go Corkran.

• The Judge

as far as a veteran WR, I am not to keen on Braylon, he is a beast BUT seems like too much negative baggage. What about Houshmanzadeh? He was with the Bengals while Hue was OC. Since Ochocinco signed with the Pats, I think Housh would be an excellent addition, has sure hands and a great attitude

• 1234567

morilla Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:39 am

??? Huff had a pretty good year last year. I wouldn’t say he flat out sucks.
    _________________________________________________________
    Definitely doesnt suck. Could ALWAYS have worse. Like Stuart Schweigert.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

I wonder if the Raiders will experiment with Huff-Routt @ CB. Branch-Mitchell @ S.

• big oak boy

morilla Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:39 am

??? Huff had a pretty good year last year. I wouldn’t say he flat out sucks.

u wont than i will

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Jhill….we run power scheme….carlisle and loper aree a joke

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Schweigert if playing for the Omaha Nighthawks now:

• big oak boy

The Judge Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:42 am

is he a UFA or a RFA

• personal foul

Huff signing is good. At least it’s not a step backwards, and if he gets beat out in camp, we have at least some measure of an upgrade.

• 1234567

The Judge Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:42 am

_______________________________________________________
    I agreee, wouldnt want Edwards. I dont know why it seems like he always has drops at key moments. And he’ll make a spectacular catch no one could make one minute, then drop one that hits him right in the chest the next minute. Fact is, between Chaz and Murphy, we have two long, fast WRs, with capable hands, who are definitely gonna get their opportunities to make plays this year. And with Ford as the slot WR, I dont think we are as hurt at WR as a lot think.

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Housh sucks

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Housh attitude sucks

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

Huff at CB!

• personal foul

nice edit, mods.

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Braylon better than chaz ford or murphy

• RaiderDuck

This probably means Eugene will either be cut at the end of TC and re-signed for much less money, or just plain cut. Don’t need to be paying $2 mil/year for a backup FS.

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Huff at cb would be hilarious

• 1234567

GG Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:42 am

_________________________________________________________
    Possible. Keep in mind that Branch also played CB in college, like Huff, so thats a lot of CB experience in the secondary right there. I know Marshall got a lot of heat for the 5 safety set, but how does anyone know that wasnt designed by Davis. He seems to have a certain prototype in mind with DBs, whether its CB or S, and may believe that they should or could be interchangeable to a certain degree. And if that id the philosophy of the organization, its easy to see why DBs leave Oakland with a good skill set and are able to find work with other teams, easily, even if they dont pan out here.

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Ha Al Davis employ a 5 safety formation? Shut up

• 1234567

BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011 Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:51 am

Huff at cb would be hilarious
    _________________________________________________________
    Whats your analysis on why it would be so hilarious? Im interested. I think if Huff dedicated himself to the position for an offseason, training camp, and season, he could excel. Again, not saying it will ever happen, or that I want it to happen this year. But whatwould be so comical about the prospect of Huff attempting to play CB, in your opinion?

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Dont worry about why…..youre beneath me

• 1234567

RaiderDuck Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:50 am

_________________________________________________________
    YES! Eugene has ALWAYS been a liability. I think he was always kept around because he simply had experience, as opposed to whoever else we had. Cause his abilities were not up to par. But now that the safeties that we’ve drafted that last few years have more experience and are coming into the positions, players like Eugene luckily become expendable.

• morilla

Ugggg, living in SD I am very familiar with “Mr. Cromo” and his antics. I don’t think it would be a wise decision to bring that buffoon to Oakland. He is everything we were trying to stay away from. If he does land in Oakland maybe Big Rich can slap some sense into him.

Sup with the O line though?

• Dhidee99

Our starting Wideout will be Chaz, DHB is the #2, and Ford is the slot, I know this is going to be very unpopular in the Raider Nation, but the truth is DHB is better than Murph. I know there is going to be an argument about production, here is what we know when DHB is on the field he is respected around the league if you go to the games you will see that he is doubled most of the time. When he’s on the field teams roll coverage’s between him and Zahc leaving everyone else one on one. If you break down the plays from 2010 season you will see on every play with +20yds or more he is on the field commanding a double team one man under one man on top in the games he did not play in you will see the Raiders struggled to score above 20 points just my Observations. :-)

• ohioraider