Boss smitten by Raiders, coach Jackson

Tight end Kevin Boss worked out for the Raiders on Wednesday. The Raiders liked what they saw, and coach Hue Jackson met with Boss for dinner that night. It was all over at that point. Boss’ decision was made up.

“The moment I met coach Jackson, I could just feel his energy and it was just exciting for me,” Boss said. “Within moments of meeting him, I felt on board with his ideas and, like he was saying, his passion for the game, just his energy, is just exciting to be around and just thrilled to be a part of it now.”

Jackson said the feeling was mutual.

“When we set out to find a tight end to add to our football team … we brought Kevin in and worked him out, and sitting down and having dinner with him, and us just talking about football and his passion for the game and exactly what he wanted to accomplish in his career, we kind of had a mutual feeling there,” Jackson said. “And, obviously, we had a need at a position there, and watching tape of him, and knowing him a little bit through the league and watching what he’s done in his career, it was just a great fit.”

Boss signed a four-year deal Friday, spoke with the media this afternoon and is set to hit the practice field for his first practice in a Raiders uniform in a matter of minutes. He will be wearing No. 87. The No. 89 he wore for his four seasons with the New York Giants is the property of wide receiver Nick Miller at this time.

The Raiders signed Boss so that he could help fill the void created by the defection of Zach Miller to the Seattle Seahawks last Tuesday. Boss isn’t shying away from the challenge.

“One of my biggest assets is being a pass catcher, so I’m going to do whatever they ask me to do in terms of lining up in different positions,” Boss said. “It’s going to be fun. Zach Miller had a lot of success here, and I am hoping to continue that success at this position.”

A few other snippets from Boss’ news conference:

On the prospect of blocking for running backs Darren McFadden and Michael Bush:

“It’s exciting. Whenever you have two backs like that that you’re blocking for, it makes it exciting. You want to spring that key block that puts them in the end zone. It’s going to be a lot of fun to have those two backs. When I was in New York we had a couple good backs with Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs. It’s going to be fun.”

On how much it helps playing for a Super Bowl-winning team as a rookie in 2007:

“That was a great experience for me. It’s definitely going to help me along my career. As a rookie coming in kind of late in the season and replacing Shockey when he got hurt – I prepared the whole season like I was going to be the starter. A lot of the NFL is just situational, being in the right place at the right time and then when you get there making the most of your opportunities. I’m excited to bring that experience here to the Raiders and looking forward to making a push to the playoffs this year.”

On his knowledge of the Raiders before signing here:

“Being a West Coast guy I always grew up keeping an eye on them being closer to them, they were always on TV. It’s a great organization, a lot of the Hall of Famer have played here and left their mark here. I’m thrilled to be a part of it now.”

Steve Corkran

• dvrick

THAT’S BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WANTED HIM!!ALL WASHED UP !!!

• Seymour Bush

AFC West Champs!!!

• raiderman81

HAHAHAHh
    ~~~~

HAHAHAHAH…. TV?? hahaha TV???? guess he never heard of the blackouts here

• raiderman81

I wish they were on TV.. at least when they move to LA I can watch them on NFL ticket

• Kirk

Raiderman, someone here will provide a link just before gametime. Check back here on thursday.

• Kirk

Ford, Murphy, Moore, Boss, McFadden, Jones, and Bush….we have some weapons there.

• Neil

To Dvrdyk your erroneous comment just leads me to believe your a. a tool b. A few beers short of a six pack or both. NFL redone with adthe.me on the laptop isn’t too bad. Def would be nice in HD and to not get cut off for five minutes at a time throughout the gae!

• Scottish Raider

K.Boss is an upgrade on Z.Miller:

Better blocker – more physical.
    Better Red Zone target – makes the plays that score the points.
    Proven winner – the only SuperBowl winner on the Offence.

And he’s cheaper.

• dvrick

HEY NO.2 YOU MEAN AFC WEST CHUMPS!!!!

• 023hunit

I hope someone post links to the games cuz adthe.net and firstrow.net were seized

• Kamikaze_Sensei

#9 Fail troll is fail

How little of a life must you have to go troll a Raider blog?

• Tricky70390

Dvrick Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 3:27 pm
    THAT’S BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WANTED HIM!!ALL WASHED UP !!!
    ===========================

“Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it…”

• RaiderDuck

Dvrick Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 3:27 pm
    THAT’S BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WANTED HIM!!ALL WASHED UP !!!

===============================

Of course. That’s why both Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin made personal appeals to keep him and were bummed that he left.

Meanwhile, you’ve got Tarvaris Jackson at QB. Welcome to 4-12.

• dvrick

CAN’T WAIT TIL THE GAMES ARE ACTUALLY PLAYED AND YOU BIG TALKERS HAVE TO EAT YOUR WORDS.YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THE RAIDERS ARE WORSE THEN LAST YEAR.I KINDA FEEL SORRY FOR YOU POOR FOOLS AND YOUR IDIOTIC OWNER.MADDEN DOESN’T EVEN LIKE THE RAIDERS LOL

• CoopeRaider

#6: and Chaz and Taiwan…those guys are explosive and are still far down the list. We are stacked in regard to playmakers!

• crazy_eyepatch

Dvrick Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 3:27 pm
    THAT’S BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WANTED HIM!!ALL WASHED UP !!!
    Dvrick Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 3:41 pm
    HEY NO.2 YOU MEAN AFC WEST CHUMPS!!!!
    ————————
    HEY #1&9 DPRICK, GET BACK IN YOUR TREE, TROLL!!!!!

• CoopeRaider

DVRIC: go to the room of a team you like…why are u even here?

• Demon Raider

I see all the Raider games cuz I live in the San Joaquin valley. I really like Boss. I think he has the ability to exceed what Miller has done thus far. Boss already has more scores than Miller does. He’s a better blocker than Miller. He can catch as good as Miller. Hopefully he is faster cuz Miller was pretty damn slow. lol. I can see Boss being the first Raider TE in a long time, or ever, to break a 1k yards receiving.

How about Denarius Moore? I was really stoked that he had drafted him after i did a lil research on him.

• RaiderDuck

Dvrick Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

============================================

Also, Raiders fans are more tech-savvy than Seachicken fans. If you ask nicely, we’ll teach you how to turn off the “Caps Lock” key.

• CoopeRaider

DPRICK is a Seattle fan….lol! Total suck ass!!

• Deja vu

If i’m not watching the game at the sports bar i use Firstrowsports.com to watch. Only thing that sucks about that site is they have a lot of advertisements that pop up.

• CoopeRaider

Demon Raider: Moore has been generating more buzz in practices thus far than anyone. He had at least two 200 receiving yards games at Tennessee. Most in NCAA I’m thinking.

• CoopeRaider

19: LMAO lmao

• Demon Raider

Who could end up being the best player from this year’s draft class? I got my money on Moore.

Why don’t they restructure DHB’s contract since he has done next to nothing so far?

• PlunkforHOF

Did you order the CODE BLACK?

• supapimp

Ignore the troll. Do not respond to his hate. Go Raiders!!!

• Demon Raider

When I first saw the pick, I was like oh great another WR. But then I looked up some scouting reports and some highlights and I quickly changed my mind on him. I think he was thought to be a 3rd round pick, so he was a steal in the 5th round.

• supapimp

@deja vu I need new links, the two that I used last season got shutdown. Raider nation please post links. Thxs in advance!

• PlunkforHOF

KAME-TV which is available here in Reno, broadcasts every Raiders preseason game.. check their website, maybe it can be streamed.

• http://www.raidernationpodcast.com/ r8eray

Dvrick Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

——-

LMFAO!!!!!!

Why don’t you worry about your team…if thats what you even want to call them that!

Raiders will win the division…write it down, take a picture…I don’t give a FUDGE!!

Lame @$$ Pigeons… Rats with wings…thats all they are!!
    Galllery with a fudged up back and Miller with a hit or two from being a paraplegic…LMFAO!!!

And a coach who bailed out on his team…LOL..Petrino number 2!!!!!!!!!

9-2-2011…I got that day circled in on my calender….!!

;)

• Deja vu

They’re not allowing me to post the link for the site i watch live streaming. Just look up First row sports. com.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Hey Tech guys here. I just got a Droid 2.3 with the NFL package. Will I be able to watch pre-season on it. I’m older and not so up on this new technology, but learning one mistake at a time, lol. tia

• Nnamdi21

DO NOT ENGAGE THE TROLL PLEASE. THANK YOU. AS YOU WERE…

• Nnamdi21

32. No no you will not.

• PlunkforHOF

I might be wrong about KAME, just checked their schedule for Thurs, and no Raiders

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Thanks, Nnam!

• RaiderFanFromJersey

860Todd,
    I’d try the links listed above on thursday. Chances are they’ll be on there.

• JB

JB Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

misstimbrown Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

has anyone else not gotten their season tix via fedex yet???…..i remember reading in here that someone got theirs on monday and my job got theirs on wednesday…..just wondering if i should be worried….do not want to miss thursday preseason game……
    *********************

Got my tickets via Fed Ex on Monday. They were “Club” level tickets so maybe they are sending them out by category.

• noteasilyimpressed

silverandblackpS&B Pride’s Editors

Justin Smiley is no longer in camp. I wish him good luck. He was a nice guy.

3 minutes ago

• RaiderRetribution

Raiders are better at the top than they were last season(and have been since they were in the Super Bowl);

Raiders have the best owner (when listening to people he has hired), because he has now hired people worth listening to; Head Coach Mr. Hue Jackson and a coaching staff that will get the best out of the Raider players and dominate the NFL;

Raiders are now solid at quarterback and one that started last season, and will lead the Raiders to the AFC West Division crown and into the playoffs, Mr. Jason Campbell.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Jersey, Conn here, time?

• Pipe layer

IF HUE JACKSON SAYS “OBVIOUSLY” ONE MORE TIME I’M GONNA GAUGE MY EYES OUT WITH A FORK!!!!

• Plunketthead

Discharge fan has been coming in here forever to brag about how they are going to the SB, that this is the year. hahahaha. Its over for northern tijuana. Raiders beat them like a redheaded stepchild last year and that will go on for at least a decade and a half.

Easiest job in SD = charger trophy case cleaner

• RaiderFanFromJersey

I just got the new Motorola Photon 4G from Sprint (freakn awesome btw). I’m sitting at work right now streaming some spanish league soccer on the 2nd link (new adthe.tv sight) with a clear picture on a moderate – 3 bars -signal. Long story short, I fully expect to be here thursday night doing the same only watching our OAKLAND RAIDERS!!!!
    Damn that felt good to type, lol.
    What is it Code Black 2011? Whatever it is I’m down with it!

• YoungAmerican

@PGutierrezCSN Paul Gutierrez
    #raiders 1st team O-line – LT Veldheer LG Wiz C Satele RG Cooper RT Barnes

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

Bush is in Camp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Relief.

• RaiderFanFromJersey

860Todd Christensen Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:23 pm
    Jersey, Conn here, time?

—————————-

10pm est

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Wiz at LG? He wouldn’t be first Center to start at guard his rookie year, then move over.

Or maybe he’ll make Satale a backup by next week. Who knows?

• RaiderFanFromJersey

@PGutierrezCSN Paul Gutierrez
    #raiders 1st team O-line – LT Veldheer LG Wiz C Satele RG Cooper RT Barnes

———————————-
    I can live w that. Satele & lil Wiz shoulder to shoulder doesn’t sound too bad at all. As long as Barnes lives up to his part of the bargain, that’s not a bad line at all.

• Deja vu

Are they experimenting McClain at outside LB with Goethel mlb? I thought i seen that post yesterday.