Boss smitten by Raiders, coach Jackson

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 at 3:23 pm in 2011 Preseason, Oakland Raiders.

Tight end Kevin Boss worked out for the Raiders on Wednesday. The Raiders liked what they saw, and coach Hue Jackson met with Boss for dinner that night. It was all over at that point. Boss’ decision was made up.

“The moment I met coach Jackson, I could just feel his energy and it was just exciting for me,” Boss said. “Within moments of meeting him, I felt on board with his ideas and, like he was saying, his passion for the game, just his energy, is just exciting to be around and just thrilled to be a part of it now.”

Jackson said the feeling was mutual.

“When we set out to find a tight end to add to our football team … we brought Kevin in and worked him out, and sitting down and having dinner with him, and us just talking about football and his passion for the game and exactly what he wanted to accomplish in his career, we kind of had a mutual feeling there,” Jackson said. “And, obviously, we had a need at a position there, and watching tape of him, and knowing him a little bit through the league and watching what he’s done in his career, it was just a great fit.”

Boss signed a four-year deal Friday, spoke with the media this afternoon and is set to hit the practice field for his first practice in a Raiders uniform in a matter of minutes. He will be wearing No. 87. The No. 89 he wore for his four seasons with the New York Giants is the property of wide receiver Nick Miller at this time.

The Raiders signed Boss so that he could help fill the void created by the defection of Zach Miller to the Seattle Seahawks last Tuesday. Boss isn’t shying away from the challenge.

“One of my biggest assets is being a pass catcher, so I’m going to do whatever they ask me to do in terms of lining up in different positions,” Boss said. “It’s going to be fun. Zach Miller had a lot of success here, and I am hoping to continue that success at this position.”

A few other snippets from Boss’ news conference:

On the prospect of blocking for running backs Darren McFadden and Michael Bush:

“It’s exciting. Whenever you have two backs like that that you’re blocking for, it makes it exciting. You want to spring that key block that puts them in the end zone. It’s going to be a lot of fun to have those two backs. When I was in New York we had a couple good backs with Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs. It’s going to be fun.”

On how much it helps playing for a Super Bowl-winning team as a rookie in 2007:

“That was a great experience for me. It’s definitely going to help me along my career. As a rookie coming in kind of late in the season and replacing Shockey when he got hurt – I prepared the whole season like I was going to be the starter. A lot of the NFL is just situational, being in the right place at the right time and then when you get there making the most of your opportunities. I’m excited to bring that experience here to the Raiders and looking forward to making a push to the playoffs this year.”

On his knowledge of the Raiders before signing here:

“Being a West Coast guy I always grew up keeping an eye on them being closer to them, they were always on TV. It’s a great organization, a lot of the Hall of Famer have played here and left their mark here. I’m thrilled to be a part of it now.”

• Tricky70390

Think we got a total Code Black on our hands right now. Destroy everything non-Raider related.

• PlunkforHOF

Did you order the CODE BLACK? DID YOU ORDER THE CODE BLACK?

• noteasilyimpressed

here’s a goodsite

adthe.tv

• noteasilyimpressed

here’s a goodsite

• noteasilyimpressed

forget adthe.tv

• PlunkforHOF

No tweets from practice?

• RaiderFanFromJersey

noteasilyimpressed Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:40 pm
    forget adthe.tv

————————————–

This is new link to that site.

• Raiders for life

Raiders are now solid at quarterback and one that started last season, and will lead the Raiders to the AFC West Division crown and into the playoffs, Mr. Jason Campbell

#############################################

I wish JC the best of luck and I wished that I shared your optimistic view. I’m just not seeing it. JC has his stingers and the back ups are not exactly stellar. If Soup starts and finishes 16 games with a decent QB rating……I will believe. I’m not a JC hater, just saying.

• noteasilyimpressed

thanks RaiderFanFromJersey!

• Tricky70390

PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:37 pm
    Did you order the CODE BLACK? DID YOU ORDER THE CODE BLACK?

==================================

T-Minus 3 weeks, 1 day until total blackout. Please stand by.

• Tricky70390

and no I don’t mean media black out. I mean world-wide blackout.

• Silverandblack666

The over under on how many times Hue Jackson says “Obviously” after practice in today’s presser is 25

Place your bets!

• RaiderFanFromJersey

noteasilyimpressed Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:50 pm
    thanks RaiderFanFromJersey!

_______________________________

No doubt. Hey we gotta stick together. I’m salivating over here to utilize those links on my/our Raiders!
    I know this is that time of year for optimism, but I have a funny feeling we could be on the verge of something special this year. I’m just sayin…

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Thanks, Jersey, sorry was on phone. And thanks for the linc!

• RaiderFanFromJersey

PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:37 pm
    Did you order the CODE BLACK? DID YOU ORDER THE CODE BLACK?

YOUR GODDAMM RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE BLACK!!!!

• RaiderFanFromJersey

SNB666,
    Over, waay over, lol.

• Raiders for life

52.PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:37 pm
    Did you order the CODE BLACK? DID YOU ORDER THE CODE BLACK?

#########################################

FCK yeah I did…game 1 Monday night. Orton or Tebow getting carried off the field in a body bag.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Alex, Tebow going out in a body bag for
    $2000.00.

• CODEBLACK2011

PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:37 pm
    Did you order the CODE BLACK? DID YOU ORDER THE CODE BLACK?
    ====================

YOU’RE GODDAMN OBVIOUSLY RIGHT I DID!!!!!

• Pipe layer

“OBVIOUSLY” THE CODE BLACK WAS ORDERED AND “OBVIOUSLY” BULLY BALL WILL BE INTRODUCED ON THE 1ST MONDAY NIGHT GAME, “OBVIOUSLY” WE PLAN ON SWEEPING OUR DIVISION AGAIN AND “OBVIOUSLY” WE’RE GONNA MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR…. ISN’T IT OBVIOUS??

• westozraider

Hey guys, does anyone know a site I can watch the Raider games live online? Im in Australia and only get Sunday and Monday night football, NFC at NFC and NFC at AFC. Cheers

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!

• PlunkforHOF

Westoz.. scroll back up this page

• Pipe layer

I’M “OBVIOUSLY” GONNA WEAR A T-SHIRT THAT SAYS “BULLY BALL” FOR THE 1ST HOME GAME OF THE SEASON

• noteasilyimpressed

PGutierrezCSNPaul Gutierrez

To quote Hue: wow!!! Denarius Moore with another spectacular downfield grab, beating DVD and Hiram

5 minutes ago

PGutierrezCSNPaul Gutierrez

Tyvon Branch with pick of Edwards

20 minutes ago

• SilverNutSack

raiderzmaverick Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Damned – I’m excited! It’s true hat we actually on paper should have a worse team than last year. Nnamdi’s replacement isn’t anywhere near the same level. As much as you guys rag on him, Gallery was a solid lineman, so a minor downgrade. Boss isn’t as productive as Miller. So on paper we should be worse.

But, I think we’re actually quite a bit ahead.
    1. Our QB play should be better just with a 2nd year in the same system.
    2. Our WR play should be lightyears better (Schillens playing?!?, Ford in the game more, Murphy more consistent plus Moore!).
    3. Our D-Line should play even better.
    4. I think the mentality that Hue will bring will win us more games. I think it’s a “knock them down hard” defensive mentality going through training camp and the offensive will make full use of all our potential weapons. There are many threats on offensive that Hue and Saunders will take advantage of.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking – but…we could have the first winning season since Gruden!

________________

right with you

• SilverNutSack

linebackers should be better as well

• Kirk

Wait until right before the game on Thursday. Someone usually has the game link posted here then.

• PlunkforHOF

Starting WR’s on MNF: Chaz, Moore, Ford

• supapimp

thanks again for the links! bookmarked. Go Raiders!!!

• Raiders for life

Starting WR’s on MNF: Chaz, Moore, Ford

################################

The way things are going in camp it might be little Nicky and Chad Jackson!!!lol

• raiderjhawk

I’ll post a link to where I watch the pre season games, I live in Kansas and have used the same website for the last few years. I’m actually going to watch the UFC tonight on it as well.

What time does the game start Thurs.?

• imisstimbrown

JB Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:15 pm
    misstimbrown Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

has anyone else not gotten their season tix via fedex yet???…..i remember reading in here that someone got theirs on monday and my job got theirs on wednesday…..just wondering if i should be worried….do not want to miss thursday preseason game……
    *********************

Got my tickets via Fed Ex on Monday. They were “Club” level tickets so maybe they are sending them out by category.

**************************************************

now im a little worried…..my seats are also club level…section 215……ive tried calling the guy that sold them to us…said he would be at camp over the weekend…playing phone tag at this point……thanks for the “heads up” JB…..

• souldogdave

There are a few serious trolls here spewing hate.Dvrick obviously.Boss is a welcome addition to the Raider Nation.Stats and film, he’s better than Miller.We haven’t lost a step.Defensive backfield is a concern, a lot of newbies in the secondary ranks.Routt is a target along with Johnson now,they will get worked. They will survive if we BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ.Pass rush should be improved, sic ‘em boys.

• noteasilyimpressed

i believe 10:00 pm CST

• SilverNutSack

raiderjhawk Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

What time does the game start Thurs.?

______________________________

live in KC… i wanna watch ufc also… what is the link?!

• PlunkforHOF

Its 10P Eastern

• noteasilyimpressed

PGutierrezCSNPaul Gutierrez

#raiders coach Hue Jackson says OL Justin Smiley has retired

5 minutes ago

• TheGeneral

I wouldnt mind bringing in Hayden he does have two more Ints than nnamdi from last year

• PlunkforHOF

#raiders coach Hue Jackson says OL Justin Smiley has retired

**************************************************

Thats one tough MoFoing camp!

• Raiders for life

Wow, did Hue work smiley that hard? Hopefully the guys left standing after camp come to play.

• JB

Arizona Game Thurs night 7PM PST

• Nnamdi21

Deja vu Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 4:32 pm
    Are they experimenting McClain at outside LB with Goethel mlb? I thought i seen that post yesterday.

===============

McClain’s been out last two days. Goethel getting reps B4 that though I think. McClain’s looking good but nicked right now. Jerry said “Goethel’s better at shedding blockers in the run game and McClain’s better at angles.”

Who knows with Oaktown? Maybe just getting some reps for a promising young kid. Tell you this much though, Ricky Brown has been our back up MLB.

• Pipe layer

SEE YA JUSTIN SMILEY “OBVIOUSLY” YOU COULDN’T HANG, DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YA ON YOUR WAY OUT!, NOW WE CAN “OBVIOUSLY” BRING IN BRIAN WATERS, DO IT AL, WE “OBVIOUSLY” NEED MORE DEPTH ON THIS OLINE

• http://build-a-bully 909RaiderLifer

For those of you in SO-CAL, Raider pre-season games WILL be telivised on KTLA ch.5….

I think,(not sure though) you can watch on the web via their web page http://www.ktla5.com

• J Hill

Why not play McClain at SLB and Goethel at MLB. Wimbley at WLB would be able to constantly be able to attack the LOS. No TE responsibilities.

• Commitment to Excellence Champion

No one does it better that Al Davis. And if the haters can’t handle it, that is their problem.

• Nnamdi21

Practice notes from today. I hope they’re right about DVD.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Translation: Smiley was being outplayed by the UDFA’s, and decided to call it career.

Hasta.

• Commitment to Excellence Champion

Silver and Black Pride.

Raiders 71
    Denver 0

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

J Hill Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

========================================

No, no, no. McClain is a BEAST at MLB, and that’s where he should stay.