Boss smitten by Raiders, coach Jackson

Tight end Kevin Boss worked out for the Raiders on Wednesday. The Raiders liked what they saw, and coach Hue Jackson met with Boss for dinner that night. It was all over at that point. Boss’ decision was made up.

“The moment I met coach Jackson, I could just feel his energy and it was just exciting for me,” Boss said. “Within moments of meeting him, I felt on board with his ideas and, like he was saying, his passion for the game, just his energy, is just exciting to be around and just thrilled to be a part of it now.”

Jackson said the feeling was mutual.

“When we set out to find a tight end to add to our football team … we brought Kevin in and worked him out, and sitting down and having dinner with him, and us just talking about football and his passion for the game and exactly what he wanted to accomplish in his career, we kind of had a mutual feeling there,” Jackson said. “And, obviously, we had a need at a position there, and watching tape of him, and knowing him a little bit through the league and watching what he’s done in his career, it was just a great fit.”

Boss signed a four-year deal Friday, spoke with the media this afternoon and is set to hit the practice field for his first practice in a Raiders uniform in a matter of minutes. He will be wearing No. 87. The No. 89 he wore for his four seasons with the New York Giants is the property of wide receiver Nick Miller at this time.

The Raiders signed Boss so that he could help fill the void created by the defection of Zach Miller to the Seattle Seahawks last Tuesday. Boss isn’t shying away from the challenge.

“One of my biggest assets is being a pass catcher, so I’m going to do whatever they ask me to do in terms of lining up in different positions,” Boss said. “It’s going to be fun. Zach Miller had a lot of success here, and I am hoping to continue that success at this position.”

A few other snippets from Boss’ news conference:

On the prospect of blocking for running backs Darren McFadden and Michael Bush:

“It’s exciting. Whenever you have two backs like that that you’re blocking for, it makes it exciting. You want to spring that key block that puts them in the end zone. It’s going to be a lot of fun to have those two backs. When I was in New York we had a couple good backs with Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs. It’s going to be fun.”

On how much it helps playing for a Super Bowl-winning team as a rookie in 2007:

“That was a great experience for me. It’s definitely going to help me along my career. As a rookie coming in kind of late in the season and replacing Shockey when he got hurt – I prepared the whole season like I was going to be the starter. A lot of the NFL is just situational, being in the right place at the right time and then when you get there making the most of your opportunities. I’m excited to bring that experience here to the Raiders and looking forward to making a push to the playoffs this year.”

On his knowledge of the Raiders before signing here:

“Being a West Coast guy I always grew up keeping an eye on them being closer to them, they were always on TV. It’s a great organization, a lot of the Hall of Famer have played here and left their mark here. I’m thrilled to be a part of it now.”

Steve Corkran

• J Hill

McClain was very good at MLB. No question about that.

If it’s about getting your 3 best LBs on the field, you have to be willing to ask yourself is Goethel the 3rd best LB or is Groves.

I think Wimbley would be a better WLB than Groves was.

I think McClain can be a better SLB than Wimbley was.

If for some odd reason we start the season with Goethel at MLBm I don’t see it as a bad thing.

• Tricky70390

Look for the Broncos to relocate their franchise to Utah after the Raiders dismantle them on national TV. You heard it hear first.

• PlunkforHOF

CODE BLACK 2011

• djohnnyg

Thinking abiout the Nnamdi departure a couple of thoughts emerge:

-He chose Philly over Dallas cuz he din’t wanna play for Rob Ryan again.

-He was sick of doing the “man to man” defense thing. He says he loves “roving” in Philly and playing differnt packages. He got a pick in his practice with Philly and he talked about how great that felt. He wants interceptiopns period. He wasn’t gonna get anymore in Oakland.

I think the factors above played big in Nnamdi’s mind.

• Just Fire Baby

Goethel at MLB??

No, no, no. Goethel is not an upgrade at MLB.

It isn’t about having the best 3 LB’s on the field, it’s about maximizing every position and getting the best out of all 11 positions.

I don’t think that experiment will work.

• Just Fire Baby

The perils of New Mexico.

My local station on Thursday gives me Denver-Dallas.

Some definite semi-pro film study potential there, though.

• J Hill

Why do you think the coaches are messing around with Goethel at MLB?

Why did they bring in Tatupu?

• Raiders for life

103.PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 6:41 pm
    CODE BLACK 2011

###########################################

RAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDEEEEEERRRRRSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

J Hill Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Why not play McClain at SLB and Goethel at MLB. Wimbley at WLB would be able to constantly be able to attack the LOS. No TE responsibilities.
    —————————————–
    You’re an idiot.

• djohnnyg

KoolKell Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 7:19 pm
    J Hill Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

—————————————–
    You’re an idiot

Geez. They guy’s just giving his opinion. Why so harsh?

• Raiders for life

107.J Hill Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 7:15 pm
    Why do you think the coaches are messing around with Goethel at MLB?

Why did they bring in Tatupu?

###########################

Did the Raiders pick up Tatupu??????

• Pipe layer

BRING IN TATUPU TO PLAY WLB, LEAVE MCCLAIN IN THE MIDDLE, GOETHEL BACKUP MLB AND SPECIAL TEAMS STAND OUT, NUFF SAID, BE ONE HELLUVA DEFENSE

• RaiderRetribution

The coaches are having Goethel taking reps as a MLB, just in case mcClain gets injured, that’s it.

I have no problem switching Wimbley to WLB, as the teams’ primary focus is for him to get to the qb; McClain is our starting MLB, he is the qb of the defense.

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

Idiot, is probably too strong, you just don’t know a thing about football.

• Raiders for life

Does McClain have an undisclosed injury?

• RaiderRetribution

You know one player I would not mind the Raiders giving a crack at WLB, would be the rookie TE, Mr. Gordon, should he be the freakish athlete Mr. Van Dyke says he is, and he likes to lay the wood on the opposition, if does not have the hands to be a quality TE, then have him play defense.

It would be a shame to waste that talent as a 3rd string or practice squad TE.

• TheGeneral

Please get lofa tatupu and play him at wlb and jus have grovea back him up since he is struggling at camp

• Pipe layer

TheGeneral Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 7:28 pm

EXACTLY!! MATTER OF FACT, CUT GROVES, HE’S GARBAGE

• djohnnyg

KoolKell Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 7:23 pm
    Idiot, is probably too strong, you just don’t know a thing about football

See. U can’t fool me. You gotta let down that tough exterior every now and then. Quit trying to pretend you’re not a nice guy ya big lug.

• guest123

I remember debating African born players like Prince Amukamara and thinking there was nothing to the rumors that they were ‘soft’.

Well Prince broke his foot and had surgery, out indefinitely.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

Goethel is not a starter!

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

Move RoMac out of the middle for Travis Goethel??

The only football he knows is video games.

• Pipe layer

THE MOORE’S ARE THE ONES TO WATCH THIS YEAR….DENARIUS AND STERLING….BOTH WILL MAKE THE TEAM AND CONTRIBUTE, ALSO BARKSDALE IS GONNA BE A BARGAIN WHERE HE WAS DRAFTED, HE WILL START DAY 1 AND BE SOLID ALL YEAR

• http://www.JasonTheSnakeCampbell.com Random Drug Tester

I think Sterling Moore is done for the season with a torn Achilles

• Pipe layer

NO WAY YOU TAKE MCPAIN OUT FROM THE MIDDLE, HE WILL BE THE CAPTAIN AND LEADER OF OUR DEFENSE FOR YEARS, WE’RE SET THERE

• Pipe layer

Random Drug Tester Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 7:36 pm
    I think Sterling Moore is done for the season with a torn Achilles

WHERE DID YOU SEE THIS?

• guest123

Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it. No way that RoMac is going to give up his spot as the defenses QB, He has too much ego to move over. And if they move him, they will be admitting failure. Romac is just hurting and needs some rest. Jerry Mac creating news here, imo.

• guest123

Sterling Moore should at least make the PS, but I doubt he makes the roster cutdown. And calling out Barskdale as an instant starter is premature. It’s preseason!

• JB

Not Moore. Another rookie. Don’t remember his name.

• Pipe layer

I’M STILL NOT SOLD ON CAMPBELL, I DO BELIEVE HE HOLDS THE BALL TOO LONG AND NEEDS TO MAKE HIS READS QUICKER, AND FOR A BRUTHA, HE SCRAMBLES AND RUNS LIKE AN OLD LADY, I HOPE HE PROVES ME WRONG THIS YEAR AND PLAYS WITH MORE CONFIDENCE INSTEAD OF HAVING THAT DEER IN HEADLIGHTS LOOK

• Pipe layer

guest123 Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 7:41 pm

GUEST, REMEMBER I SAID THIS

• guest123

PGutierrezCSN Paul Gutierrez

“We’re going to be a tough, rugged football team that walks with a swagger and plays the way the #Raiders used to play.” coach Hue Jackson

• guest123

GUEST, REMEMBER I SAID THIS

@@@@@

noted pipelayer,

I am not yet ready to declare both Moores and Barks sure things. But I hope so.

• Pipe layer

guest123 Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 7:45 pm
    PGutierrezCSN Paul Gutierrez

GREAT TO HEAR THIS, BUT I REMEMBER ART SHELL AND JOE BUGEL SAYING THE SAME THING, I WANNA ACTUALLY SEE IT ON THE FIELD THIS YEAR, BUT I LOVE HUE’S ENERGY, HE JUST NEEDS TO TAKE “OBVIOUSLY” OUT OF HIS VOCABULARY

• YoungAmerican

Jerry said it’s “unlikely to come to pass, but the idea has been floated within the organization”.

If the coaching staff truly believes McClain is better at picking angles and Goethel is better at taking on blockers, then they should do whatever puts those players in a position to succeed.

• guest123

McClain’s only in his 2nd year. He still is learning angles and even tackling at this level. So far, he’s been mediocre by NFL standards, but pretty good for a rook. Now is not the time to start a controversy that would undermine his leadership. Goethel, besides all that, can’t stay healthy long enough to man the ILB.

• Raider J

Welcmome to Hue Jack City

• Raider J

130. Fair enough. This is a great opportunity for him.
    He basically has one contract year to prove his worth. Seems like he’s having a very good offseason. We all want to see it work in the reg season. go Jason go!

• raiderfancincy

CODE BLACK will coat the NFL in RAIDER BLACK!!!!!!!!

• dvrick

Code Black as in funeral colors.Time to bury the poor Taiders.Can’t wait til they meet the Dolphins.

• dvrick

HUE IS A HIGH SCHOOL COACH!THAT’S ALL HE IS> LMAO

• Fear_the_eyepatch

@ Dvprick
    Since you are a Seachicken fan and talk all this big head, why don’t you stop by the Orleans on 1st ave downtown Seattle next to the stadium in your Seachicken gear on Sept 2nd and see what kind of reception you get in your own town. Then you will see what real fans are about and find out why there is only 1 true nation…………RAIDER NATION!!!! NW Raiders reppin on you all day every day in your town punk!

• dvrick

142 Pretty big talk for someone you”ve never met! Be careful what you wish for you just might get it.And like I’ve said before I’m not a seahawks fan.I just like it when free agent RAIDERS jump a sinking ship.But that’s all the Taiders are about League rejects thugs and criminals just like the fans that support them.

• dvrick

TROLLS RULE THE RAIDER BOARDS!!

• dvrick

# Pipe layer Says:
    August 6th, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I’M “OBVIOUSLY” GONNA WEAR A T-SHIRT THAT SAYS “BULLY BALL” FOR THE 1ST HOME GAME OF THE SEASON
    ************************ That’s a good shirt to wear cuz that’s what you’ll be saying all year. WE GOT BULLIED WAH WAH WAH!!!!

• dvrick

Arizona Game Thurs night 7PM PST When the WAIDERS get their first beating of the year.

• dvrick

GREAT SIGNINGS AL,What a joke the RAIDERS will be this year!!

• dvrick

CAMPBELL, I DO BELIEVE HE HOLDS THE BALL TOO LONG AND NEEDS TO MAKE HIS READS QUICKER, AND FOR A BRUTHA, HE SCRAMBLES AND RUNS LIKE AN OLD LADY, I HOPE HE PROVES ME WRONG THIS YEAR AND PLAYS WITH MORE CONFIDENCE INSTEAD OF HAVING THAT DEER IN HEADLIGHTS LOOK**********THAT DESCRIBES THE WHOLE TEAM from one of your own.Are you guys starting to figure it out?

• joker94583

I think it’s because the giants didn’t want to overpay for Boss. Al will overpay for anyone. I hope he stays healthy. 7-9

• fingers

I hear Tim Tebow has been stinking it up out in Denver…. I was kinda hoping to see Richard Seymour knock the snot outta Timmy…