Pre-practice odds and ends

The Raiders return to practice today after an off day Sunday. The provisions set forth in the new collective bargaining agreement mandates at least one day off after six straight days of practice. The Raiders received two within a six-day span.

It will be interesting to see if the two days off within the past week helps those who have practiced the entire time in training camp stay fresh and hold up well to the physical demands of coach Hue Jackson’s program.

It’s also about time for players such as wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, offensive lineman Bruce Campbell and defensive end Trevor Scott to cut it loose. Heyward-Bey is the only one of the three who has practiced in any capacity, but even he has been limited to light duty.

Campbell has missed every practice so far with an undisclosed injury. Jackson said Campbell is “close” to seeing the field for the first time in 2011. Scott has spent the first 12 days rehabilitating from the left knee injury he suffered last season.

Rookie running back Taiwan Jones also is expected back soon. He is missing out on a golden opportunity to get in a ton of reps, with starter Darren McFadden out with a broken orbital bone and backup Michael Bush just getting back into the swing of things after signing his one-year tender Saturday.

*It’s about time for kicker Sebastian Janikowski to start working on his field-goal kicking. He has yet to attempt a field goal in training camp. Punter Shane Lechler already is well along getting himself into game shape.

*None of the four cornerbacks selected by the Raiders in the 2009 and 2010 NFL drafts has made a strong push for the starting spot vacated by Nnamdi Asomugha and occupied by Chris Johnson until now. Chimdi Chekwa is out with a left shoulder injury. Jeremy Ware, Walter McFadden and DeMarcus Van Dyke are getting reps, but none is standing out.

*The Raiders are going to be just fine with Kevin Boss at tight end now that Zach Miller is toiling with the Seattle Seahawks. That much became evident in Boss’ first practice since signing with the Raiders on Friday.

Boss is tall, fast, and he has sure hands. There’s no reason to think that he won’t at least double the 30 receptions he averaged in his four seasons with the New York Giants.

*The Raiders certainly won’t be travel weary as they open the season with back-to-back road games against the Denver Broncos and Buffalo Bills. They play their first and third exhibition games at home. Their road games are against the 49ers and Seahawks.

*Quarterbacks Charlie Frye and J.T, O’Sullivan, linebacker Ricky Brown and offensive linemen Langston Walker and Mario Henderson are the only remaining free agents from last year’s Raiders team who haven’t been re-signed.

The Raiders were interested in re-signing Henderson until he failed a physical. Trent Edwards made Frye and O’Sullivan expendable. The Raiders already have a slew of linebackers on their roster. Walker is the most likely candidate from the group of five to be re-signed at some point, but only in case of injury or if Khalif Barnes and/or Joseph Barksdale falters.

*People keep throwing around the name of former Raiders middle linebacker Kirk Morrison as someone who should be re-signed. Don’t count on it anytime soon. Rolando McClain is locked in as the starter in the middle, and Morrison’s best days as a special teams player are gone. Also, Morrison won’t entertain the prospect of being a backup until he has exhausted every opportunity of being a starter elsewhere.

Steve Corkran

• priesttj

I said a week ago I believe DHB will have a better year than Crabtree and I really believe it. Everyone laughed people told me to shut up old fool. Well this old fool may ultimately have the last laugh.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Did you have a MUP selection Big Fan?

• Twocents

I’m trying to remain positive but it’s beginning to look like DHB, B. Campbell and Wisniewski are going to be non-factors this year.
    The OL is critical and it has me worried.

• Are You Ready For Some Football

Big Ted, why I don’t see MR or KoolKell on you list. Are they poor sports who just dont wanna play?

• big fan

BigTed707 Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 6:18 pm
    Did you have a MUP selection Big Fan?

—-

Yeah. Plug me in for Walter McFadden.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

# Are You Ready For Some Football Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

**************
    The list is for all.
    If those guys make selections, they will be added to the list.

• priesttj

Poor sports and negative as hell would sum them both up fairly well. Their hatred for Mr D clouds their minds and the can’t see their nose to pick it.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

big fan Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 6:22 pm
    Yeah. Plug me in for Walter McFadden.
    *************
    Done and done.

• big fan

Thank ya!

CODE BLACK

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Twocents Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 6:19 pm
    The OL is critical and it has me worried.

=======================================

Wiz is running with the first team at two different positions. The actual battle is between Satele and Loper. Depending on which one wins out, Wiz will start the year at either C or LG.

• big fan

priesttj Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 6:24 pm

—————–

They just being haters because thats what haters do.

CODE BLACK

• TerrapinRaider

What do you know? DHB for the 1st time in full scrimmages/practice and he’s making plays. Who would’ve thunk t?

• Seymour Bush

DKnight007 Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

5.BigTed707 Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 3:00 pm
    Who says Kirk has to play inside?
    Sign Him!

^^^^^^^^
    Exactly. Bring Kirk back to battle it our for the WLB spot vs Goethel!
    ====================================

Kirk is not fast enough to play the Will. Or ST’s.

• Raider 510

13.RAIDER Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 3:04 pm
    Tom Cable to Hue Jackson – Downgrade. Hue has never coached a game. Cable improved by 3 wins in his most recent season.

Bruce Gradkowski to Trent Edwards as backup QB – Downgrade. Gradkowski’s stats much better than Edwards in past couple of years.

Nnamdi Asomugha to Standford Routt – Downgrade. If you need it explained to you, you probably need the sport of football explained to you.

Zach Miller to Kevin Boss – Downgrade. Miller’s better statistically. Boss led all TEs last year in percentage of balls dropped. That’s not good.

Downgrades all around the horn. That’s how Al Davis capitalizes on his best season in 8 years. No thanks to this year’s Raiders. Code Black? Sure. I’ll play along. But I’m not spending a dime.

—————————————
    Shows how much you know. Time is money buddy and you spend a whole lot of yours in here.

• Twocents

I have been up on the Delta where all one does is fish and drink copious amounts of alcohol.
    Would someone tell me what “MUP” stands for?

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Twocents Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 6:42 pm
    Would someone tell me what “MUP” stands for?

========================================

Most Unheralded Player

• TerrapinRaider

Yeah, I thought so crickets!

DHB participates fully for the 1st time in practice and he’s making plays like everyone else. All you fools were doing was criticizing him because he was freakin’ injured and they were being cautious!

And for the record – I don’t get a hoot how he caught the ball! Because I’m already starting to read that crap. A catch is a catch! Period! T.O. was one of the best WRs in the league and probably STILL is, and most of the time he caught the ball with his body. This hand stuff is great but definitely not required.

• 504 Raider

What up Nation! Let me get in on this MUP List.

My heart says to go with Schilens but my brain says that cat will be out for the season before the first regular season nacho is eaten at the Coliseum.

So my guy is Joe Barksdale. Our new opening day starter at RT.

• raiderzmaverick

One of the Moore’s (the Underdog)

• CarolinaRaider

MUP – I hope it is not Trent Edwards as that would mean bad things for us early in the season. Gotta be Big Boss – TE. Our QB’s are going to find him all day long and he will be the key to a huge year for for DMAC & da Bush. Called it.

• CarolinaRaider

Move DHB to the backup role. Can he spell someone? Sure. Can he be a situational WR? Sure. Can he start? Heyell no!

• CarolinaRaider

Tick Tock……opening day cannot get here soon enough! Let’s do this thing!

• CarolinaRaider

By the way…. do not sign Kirk. Loved him. But if he cannot role on Special Teams….no need.

• CarolinaRaider

Any insight on Lil’ Wiz and if he’ll win the C JOB?

• CarolinaRaider

There just is not enough info rolling out of Stevie-C’s laptop quickly enough. Man – fill us in. What are you seeing? Hearing?

• Twocents

Okay, I’ll go with Desmond Bryant. At some point in this season he’s going to be called upon and I think he will deliver.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Thec07 Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 5:24 pm
    RaiderDogg Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 5:22 pm
    ++++++++++

where u been mayne????
    =================================
    On the road a ton these days, just got back from Seattle. Was up there when Zack signed, that really screwed my day, at least until I heard that Boss was in the mix!

• SnB Production

That’s good. Lets hope DHB keeps up the good work.

Lots of competition in camp this year which is a great thing!

Play the best 22

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Big B@UCE man aka Bri3n!

How you living bruh?

Rap Is A Joke and you know that’s right!

• priesttj

The coach will do what the hell he wants to do with DHB you don’t dictate what the coach does. Post your opinion and leave it at that. I see Chaz DHB and Ford having big roles and if Murphy doesn’t stop dropping passes Moore will steal his spot.

One thing you guys gotta get through your heads just because you don’t like a player doesn’t mean the coaches don’t. They’re there everyday spending time with these players and you’re here posting opinions a HUGE difference.

• hendu

Terrapinraider,glad that DHB is workin w/ the full offense,glad for him and the raiders,will get a look Thursday,see whats up.I want a look at all wideouts and the ol,dbs,here we go,RAIDERS!!!!

• TerrapinRaider

All that matters is what these boyz can do in the real game. At least from the sound of things, for the most part the ball is not on the ground. That was the complete opposite prior years. That tells me we may actually have a passing game this year.

Its a lot of compeition out their at WR from the sound of things. Again something we have not had in years.

• TerrapinRaider

DHB is going to have to fight for his snaps with this crew, save injury. I for one hope he wins and become dominant at his position. The upside for this kid is huge!

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

CarolinaRaider Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 7:01 pm
    ************
    Sorry Bro, Boss has a Superbowl Ring, has caught receptions in multiple playoff appearances, and has 18 career TDs.

He does not qualify for the MUP list.

• TerrapinRaider

I would say DHB and Moore have the most upside out of this crew. Then Chaz, then Murphy.

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

I told Davis Bootlicker, Priesttj, 2 weeks ago my choice for MUP, was Stevie Brown.

• TerrapinRaider

Ooopss forgot Ford

• TerrapinRaider

See what injury can do? Make ppl forget …hmmm sounds familier i.e. Hue forgetting DHB at the presser.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

# KoolKell Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 7:26 pm

*************
    Noted and added. Thanx!

• priesttj

T’pin I said it last night we’ve gone through the ups and downs with these young WR’s they don’t need a vet here unless he’s a baller. They have seen enough and been through enough to get the job done. All this vet enfluence is too late. These kids are ready to put hammer down and I mean they are going to be hell to deal with. If the coaches thought they needed a vet Chad Johnson or some other vet would’ve gotten a huge contract and be a Raider yeah they inquired but you see they NEVER bit on anything no offers no visits no nothing. If DHB were nearly as bad as all these guys say he is another vet WR would’ve been signed I gauarantee you. They are not nearly as worried about DHB as the fans are. I’s just the fans…………period

• priesttj

KK do we have a problem?? huh?? it can be handled anyway you want.

• 504 Raider

280.priesttj Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 7:13 pm

————————————————————————————————————–

Well said Priest. And we all know when it’s all said and done when someone emerges to stand out and make plays, you will be right there telling us all:

“I’ve said all along (fill in your lies). Period.”

• priesttj

Tired of your namecalling man……..take it someplace else please.

• priesttj

Anything I say can be verified if not then you have a point. But it’s in the archive son.

• SnB Production

LOL!

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

There’s a school of thought in league circles that the NFL will find a way to exclude Pryor, ostensibly to ensure that players can’t render themselves ineligible for college (and thus eligible for the supplemental draft) at will but as a practical matter to please the keepers of the NFL’s free farm system.

******************
    He won’t be deemed eligible for the sup draft imo.

• 504 Raider

290.priesttj Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 7:29 pm

————————————————————————————————————–

See what I mean. Well said Priest. Only two weeks after the free agency frenzy died down.

• TerrapinRaider

With what this team is building I honestly have a hard time figuring out how other teams can defend.

• SnB Production

It amazes me the back and forth on here…for a group that all wants the same doggone thing.

Man, the Raiders gotta start winning some games!

LOL!

• TerrapinRaider

I can say without a doubt Priesttj has said before that we do not need a vet WR. And he was an affirmative Hell No! @ getting Ocho Cinco.