Pre-practice notes, quotes and observations

Injuries to wide receivers Chaz Schilens, Louis Murphy, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Jacboy Ford at different times during training camp has made it difficult for the Raiders to get in much work with the players they hope to be on the field for the regular-season opener.

Quarterback Jason Campbell said it would be nice to get in as much work as possible with the aforementioned receivers. At the same time, he prefers to look at the silver lining.

“Other guys are getting an opportunity to get reps that they probably wouldn’t get if it was a regular season week because the starters take all the reps,” Campbell said. “Right now it’s an opportunity for them to learn what to do early in camp.”

To that end, rookie Denarius Moore and roster hopefuls such as Shaun Bodiford, Nick Miller, Derek Hagan and Chad Jackson are making the most of their added reps.

Campbell said he has been quite impressed with the early showing of Moore. He also likes what he has seen from the other receivers vying for spots on the 53-man roster.

“Nick Miller has been coming to practice every day, working his butt off,” Campbell said. “Bodiford has been out here working his butt off. We just brought in Hagan and brought in Chad Jackson, and they picked up on the system really quick. There’s a lot of young guys getting an opportunity to work.

“Sometimes you feel for them because they run so many routes, and they’re the only ones out here right now because a lot of guys are injured, but they don’t give up, they keep fighting.”

*Campbell and middle linebacker Rolando McClain oftentimes lock eyes before the snap, seeking an edge and wondering what the other player is thinking.

“There’s always a competition between him and me out here,” Campbell said. “We’re always battling. It’s fun. That’s what you want in practice. You want guys to battle. Sometimes defense wins, sometimes offense wins. That’s’ part of training camp. But we’re here to make each other better and make each other work. It’s good to see that. You can see how he breaks on balls. You know he has to have an understanding of the game, and he definitely has that.”

Campbell said he and McClain compare notes off the field in an attempt to pass along insight that might help the other one out in performing his job.

Sometimes I ask him, ‘What gives a route away,’ or ‘How’s the quarterback looking? Are we keeping you honest with our eyes?’ Sometimes they come up and ask us, ‘Are we rotating coverage really quick, quick enough to jump spots or is it too late?’ Those things we communicate to each other. We know out here we compete, but on Sundays we’re all together, and we want to help each other.”

*Second-year offensive lineman Bruce Campbell said he hurt his right knee during offseason workouts. Fortunately for Campbell and the Raiders, he did not need surgery.

The injury forced him to miss the first two weeks of practice and Oakland’s first exhibition game. He practiced for the first time Saturday and is eager to make up for lost time.

“It’s pretty tough because it seems like you’re missing out on a lot, you’re missing out on opportunity,” Campbell said. “But you can’t have that mind-set going into it. I’m just like, ‘Hey. this is what happened to me. I just have to make up for it.’ ”

Campbell isn’t sure whether he will get reps at guard or tackle, or both. He spent most of his rookie season learning the nuances of the guard spot so that he can become more versatile and, therefore, more valuable to the Raiders.

*Cornerbacks coach Rod Woodson is harping on the players under his tutelage to “pull the trigger.” Recognize when there’s an opportunity to make a play and go for it.

Seventh-year cornerback Stanford Routt is all for that kind of mentality.

“That’s the way you win football games,” Routt said. “You can’t win football games by being passive or just sitting back waiting. You got to go and dictate to the offense and not have the offense dictate to you.”

*There hasn’t been any further word on whether the Raiders remain interested in signing veteran linebacker Lofa Tatupu. They worked him out early in camp but held back on making an offer.

Tatupu, a six-year veteran, has visited other teams since he showed up in Napa. For whatever reason, he hasn’t landed with any team.

Tatupu is an undersized middle linebacker who has a history of knee problems. It’s conceivable that the Raiders will revisit the Tatupu issue at some point before the season starts, especially if one of their linebackers gets injured along the way.

Steve Corkran

• lefty12

Go Raiders

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Tatupu is done, he was good 3 years ago, he is too slow, too old..

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I saw Planet of the Apes yesterday. I liked it. I give it a “Lamonica”. I base my rating system of the quality of Raider QBs. This is how the system works:

Stabler=10
    Gannon=9
    Plunkett=8
    Lamonica=7
    Hostetler=6
    Schroeder=5
    Wilson=4
    Evans=3
    Hollas=2
    Gradkowski=1
    Russell=0

• Dhidee99

What now!

• Master Beeecham

Where’s old goat Krappy today? I’m sure the deranged old fool soiled at least 3 pairs of khakis before noon.

Hopefully he’s been banished to the kiddie pool in the backyard and KrappyWife and her bowl cut are keeping the hose handy in case he tries to escape over the fence.

Probably having his traditional Sunday evening dinner at Arby’s. The old dog is a sucker for a roast beef melt with horsey sauce and a bib from a kid’s meal.

• Master Beeecham

Albert Bigelo Puss, that’s very nice your mommy took you out to see a movie. I guess The Smurfs was sold out?

Dudes I got wrecked last night then found out someone stole a Rembrandt from the lobby. It’s all over the news, I think know who the dude was, his girlfriend was giving me googly eyes all night.

Anyway time to hop in the jacuzzi before my DJ gig starts. Going to tear up the Ritz pool tonight with a new Cindy Lauper mash up. True Colors in effect, yall.

BIZZ MARKY IN THE PLACE TO BE

• raidertbone

Master Beeecham Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

BIZZ MARKY IN THE PLACE TO BE
    ___________________________________
    Later Beech — fire up some Endo and let it ride. Report back to the Dark Side later …

• raidertbone

Just caught most of the first quarter of the game on the ‘ol DVR. Going to see the rest of it after dinner. From I saw – not bad: First team defense holds Arizona to one first down (which shouldn’t have even been that, but we lost contain on the Kolb sramble); then, second team defense gets a goal line stand against their first team offense. I’ll comment more later after watching the whole thing.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Beeecham, did I ever tell you how unfunny you are?

• JLofty

Kind of a brittle group aren’t they?

• raidertbone

JLofty Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Kind of a brittle group aren’t they?
    _______________________________

You got that right!

• JLofty

Holy Krap ABP! How can you rate Gannon (0 SupaBo Wins, 0 SupaBo MVPS, 6 ints in career Supabos) ahead of Jim Plunkett (2 SB wins, 1 SB MVP, Countless huge plays in same)? That’s like girl logic.

• Master Beeecham

No Albert, all I’ve ever heard you do is whine like a little schoolgirl when your mommy ignores you.

Any of you nerds see Charged Down around the blog lately?

I was supposed to head down to Pacific Beach last weekend on the Reggae Party Boat to check out his Blink 182 cover band.

But I met up with a couple of Brazilian bikini models and found out that’s it’s TRUE – they do shave “down there”. When i was done, my lips were moisterized for a week.

If you know what I mean

• JLofty

Does anyone know the over/under on potential TDs that Campbell underthrows this season?

• HueJackinBullies

The Oakland Raiders football practice was delayed nearly two hours today after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field. Head coach Hue Jackson immediately suspended practice while police were called to investigate. After a complete analysis, experts determined that the white substance unknown to players was the GOAL LINE. Practice was resumed after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again. I love me some Raiders and hate hearing haters, but this had me rolling!!!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

JLofty Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 3:48 pm
    ———————-
    Plunkett never won an MVP. Gannon was a better QB.

• JLofty

ABP: 1980 Super Bowl XV- QB Jim Plunkett, Oakland
    Weak. Gannon was a choker. Loved him for as much as he brang me but, fax is fax.

• Master Beeecham

Sweet, got the laptop set up next to my DJ equipment so I can blog and rock the Ritz pool party.

Getting the ladies loosened up with some Cameo then am gonna roll right into some Skid Row.

Should be getting my knob slobbed under the table by 4:30 at the LATEST

• lefty12

Got an old T-shirt with the saying’Fishing is like sex,the more you talk about it,the less you get’.Always liked that shirt and found the saying to be so true.

• Plunketthead

Only a true whiner fan would say Gannon is greater then the Plunk

• lefty12

Plunketthead,just because you disagree with him is no reason to resort to calling him foul names.

• Hagar the Horrible

Albert…I was really impressed with you movie rating system? It’s original and spot on. Starting with fatass, Jadummy Russell, and a fat zero…very appropriate. Your list starting at the top can go a few ways. Maybe Plunkett on top, only because he won two “Super Bowls,” which means he performed at his best when the “family jewels” were on the line. The “Snake” won so many games, many from behind, that it’s easy to see how you have him on TOP of some great Raider quarterbacks. Also, Plunkett won the MVP for his second Super Bowl win.

• Master Beeecham

Brahams, you’re not going to believe this!

So I’m spinning some Whitney Houston, the crowd is vibing big time, when this wasted Swedish babe cruises up and starts rubbing me down with scented baby oil.

Obviously, I bust a serious woodrow and she goes downtown without any questions. If you know what I mean.

Then I smoothly mix in some Candlebox and she slides on a Magnum (it barely fit) and we go at it while I pound a few complimentary chicken sliders with avocado salsa. The Ritz knows how to treat it’s people right.

Anyway, now I’m moving into the experimental hip hop section of my set with a little Roll the Bones by Rush.

Almost time to fire up the PARTYDUDE 8000 for serious party action

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

That’s fine if you want to disagree with me about Plunkett being better than Gannon. But, anyone who says Gannon was a choker is an idiot and an Al Davis sycophant. You can blame Davis for that Super Bowl loss. He is the one who traded Gruden away.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Beeecham, go f*ck your self.

• Hagar the Horrible

If Al keeps Gruden, we win possibly two (2) Super Bowls. If we would have played any other team we win the Super Bowl, but going against Gruden doomed us. He knew what we were going to do and what he needed to do against us. And, Al appointing Bill Callahan as HC?
    That was kind of dumb as well. Callahan was always a loser, and it was Gannon running the team that got us to the Super Bowl to start with. Ya, I love Gannon.
    PS: If I ever see Tony A, who deliberately smashed Gannon’s arm in that pile up, I’ll run him over with my car. And, that’s the truth.

• Master Beeecham

Calm down, Lil Al. Sounds like you need some more of mommy’s warm milk.

Don’t worry, I’m sure she’s planning on taking you to see The Smurfs next weekend. Then the other kids in school won’t laugh at you so much.

Any of you blog dweebs ever drink a Mai Tai out of a life size replica Stanley Cup?

• HueJackinBullies

I give abp’s mommys warm milk a russel

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Beeecham, go f*ck your mother.

• CODEBLACK2011

master bicham on the loser boat 900

• lefty12

Callahan and his offensive coordinator lost that SB,along with Gannon.All 3 were responsible for the play calling and any one of them should have known we should have changed the offense for that game.Barrett going south didn’t help matters.But the big question I have is,if Davis meddles as much as everyone says,why didn’t he stick his nose in and make them change things?

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Davis doesn’t understand game plans. He believes you can just line up talent against talent, and the best players will win.

• lefty12

What?The guy was coach of the year and he doesn’t understand game plans?

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Davis was coach of the year during the stone age.

• Master Beeecham

Albert, that’s some brilliant insight into the mind of Al Davis. Your mom must read to you from his wikipedia page every night.

Now stop talking about having intercourse with family members – a Bigelow family specialty – and go pop on your favorite Hillary Duff movie.

That should get you by until your smooshed banana dinner.

• lefty12

So was Vince Lombardi,Tom Landry,Don Shula,Chuck Noll,John Madden,etc.Were all of those guys ignorant of game plans also.

• Master Beeecham

Code Black Turds, you wish you could party like me. I bet you haven’t been on a real reggae party boat in your life.

Don’t worry, dweeb, I’m sure there’s room at Albert’s dinner table for you and your pre school weiner.

HOLLA BACK KOOL MOE DEE

• Rainin on my Parade

Master Beeecham Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

………………………………….

Seriously dude. You need to go and masturbate to yourself like there is no tomorrow. Even tho there is no instant gratification for you, keep jerkin. You’ll bust a nut someday.

• big oak boy

lefty is herrah

• priesttj

The one who’s ignorant of gamplans is Bigelow….

We’re running the sam offense Sid Gilman ran at LA Chargers and later Coryell with SD. Does Bigelow know what a gameplan is?

• Raiders for life

##############################

Nope, but I’ve drank tequilla from a shot glass shoved up a ladies pu$$.

Didn’t feel so good in the morning though.

• CODEBLACK2011

Master Beeecham Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

HOLLA BACK KOOL MOE DEE
    ——————–

beech please, I was born on a party yacht. don’t mess with me, I’ll send you up shizzle creek without a paddle. now go back to tossing salad on reggae hobos, you muppet.

• Cranium Deficit

big oak boy Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 5:33 pm
    lefty is herrah

——————

Beechum is hererra. He is looney enough to fit the description of someone who has been Als’ lapdog for so many years.

But really, if he’s not, then the dude really has Davis hang ups, like thinking he’s on a party boat when he’s in his moms basement in east ball sac.

Why else would he be here.

• Keep On Truckin

Hi everyone, new poster here. Just want to say hi to everybody and say what a great blog site this is. Master Beechum is a hoot. I’ll bet he has a rosy palm. Go Raiders!

• Raider Fan from Down Under

priesttj Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 5:40 pm
    The one who’s ignorant of gamplans is Bigelow….

———————————-

I hope you kidding. We are in the 21st century man, and football is in a higher orbit than what it was back in the stone age.

You are joking. right?

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Raider Fan From Down Under Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 5:58 pm
    priesttj Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 5:40 pm
    The one who’s ignorant of gamplans is Bigelow….

—————-
    And that is exactly what is wrong with Al Davis. He is stuck in the Sid Gillman era.

• Horse Raddish

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    August 14th, 2011 at 6:02 pm
    ———-
    Davis just needs to trust Hue and stay the heck out of the game planning and the like. Sure Hue has an idea of what Davis wants, but let Hue roll this team into the new age and bring it out of the dark ages.

I’ve never understood why Davis just doesn’t sit back and enjoy the show (gruden era). He finally has a coach he can do that with.

Man if hererra is calling the shots I’d split if I were Hue.

• Master Beeecham

Code Black Turds there is always room in my stable of minions for another obedient little worshiper like yourself. But you’ll really have to work for it.

Remember, little dude, nothing in life comes easy.

Someday you and your pint size weiner might actually get to work my Reggae Party Boat. I usually start my minions off with shrimp cocktail duty.

Ahhh … yet another blog zero slapped around for my personal amusement!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Beeecham, thanks for emailing me this picture of you. I understand where you’re coming from now:

• CODEBLACK2011

listen up you little beech, this blog ain’t big enough for the both of us. chokelasm yourself into a lawnmower, you fuccin dicksheath. soon enough you’ll learn, just like all of the ho’s that came before you, then I’ll throw you in the dungeon!!!!!!