WR Murphy, CB Johnson undergo surgery; Murphy out for opener

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 at 6:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Hue Jackson just announced that starting wide receiver Louis Murphy and starting cornerback Chris Johnson are undergoing surgery for undisclosed injuries. Murphy won’t be able to play in the regular-season opener Sept. 12, Jackson said. Johnson is expected back for that game.

Murphy has missed most of training camp with a hamstring injury. He said a few days ago that he was running and feeling as if he was close to returning to practice. Something obviously happened along the way to a return, given Jackson’s revelation.

Murphy led all Raiders wide receivers in receptions and yards last season. He tied Jacoby Ford for the most receiving touchdown by a wide receiver.

With Murphy out, the Raiders are in sore need of getting back from injury Chaz Schilens and Jacoby Ford. Jackson said Schilens is “getting close” to returning from the injury he suffered against the Arizona Cardinals last Thursday. Ford’s broken left hand is almost healed.

Rookie DeMarcus Van Dyke has been thrust ino the role of starting cornerback opposite Stanford Routt now that Johnson is out. Jackson said Van Dyke looked much improved in practice Wednesday.

In other news, projected starting center Samson Satele left practice with an undisclosed injury. It appeared to be to one of his legs. A member of the media spotted Satele being hauled off to a nearby hospital for tests.

Jackson said Satele’s injury is a “tweak, a nick,” but it’s “nothing major. Rookie Stefen Wisniewski received the majority of reps at center with Satele gone.

Mitchell has missed most of training camp with an unspecified injury. He played an important role in Oakland’s defense last season as an extra defensive back in certain situations.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• Silverandblack666

“That’s better than having no players at all!”

No its not!

• rob_raider

get it straight guys–it’s not really a question. dhb is a starter. it may come from al davis but that’s not the point. he is seen as a guy with big upside. all of the guys who were drafted ahead of him are ok but not stars. we all knew he would take time. this is the year to find out. he can blaze. he has good size. if he emerges as a quality receiver, he will be a star. a t.o. type matchup nightmare. larry fitzgerald. i think we have to see if he can be that guy because if he can, then the raiders will be great again. in many ways, he is the biggest key to the raiders.

moore does look legit, but he is a rookie. he will not start, period. dhb and ford are the starters. chaz may or may not ever contribute. murphy seems to be locked in as a 4th or 5th guy at this point, even though he has done more than any of them. they all have big potential. that’s what’s exciting as a raider fan.

campbell has steadily improved every year. i’m not sure he will ever be great, but he could be solidly good. he could be a top 10-15 qb this year. if he is, and if the wr’s are who they can be, then the raiders offense could be very, very good.

• http://www.socalbelts.com NoLuv4Hoes

So did anyone watch sports nation today on espn. Jj adande was asked if DHB was a bust and he said laughing “yes, he was a bust the moment he was drafted”

• hendu

Kirk,and others,this is a friggin contact sport,you cant have players playin SOFT in practice and then get NAILED in reg season games,Hue is right,IMO!Limited time cuz of the lockout,all teams deal with it!Free Raider O Raiders!!!!!!

• rob_raider

the biggest question is the cb’s. namdi was great. don’t pretend he wasn’t. we’ll miss him. but the raiders couldn’t pay a 30-yr-old cb that type of money. they’re not a player or two away from the super bowl. they are an up-and-coming team that needs to let their young players breakout. routt and cj will be ok, if healthy. they will give up some plays but the pass rush will be very good. the safeties will be good.

it’s the backups that are a concern. ware and mcfadden don’t look any better than they were last year. dvd looks very talented, but being a rookie, he will make mistakes, and when cb’s make mistakes, it’s touchdowns. chekwa? we don’t know yet obviously. it is scary when so many raiders fans are hoping a UDFA like sterling moore is the answer.

but we are talking about who will be the nickel back. if that’s our biggest concern, we’re in pretty good shape.

• Kirk

Sorry, Hendu, I disagree.

We don’t need DMac being hit by linebackers in practice. Let the Linebackers practice on camp fodder.

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

TerrapinRaider Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Plenty of ppl are getting shut up this year. First DHB shut ppl up (temporarily with his brief performance vs AZ). Now BCamp is starting to shut doubters up.
    ———————————————-
    The Raider organization, and the Al Davis sycophants, are more worried about what people say, than what goes on, on the field.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011 Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 6:22 pm
    Now we gonna have to keep Hagan…..nicki miller fkiin sux
    ————
    no bruh bodiford makes the roster now

• rob_raider

jj adande? gimme a break. that’s the type of comment that makes those guys so stupid. he was a bust the moment he was drafted? then some stupid snicker. what kind of real football mind could ay that? that’s the point. so many idiots like michael irvin said he was a monumental reach. so dumb. EVERYONE said predarft that he was a climber. that he was a sleeper and had gotten into the bottom of the first round, based on his workouts. so, let me get this straight. if a team had taken him at 22, they would have been talking about how he was a potential steal. but when the raiders took him, at a time when every moron in the media was taking shots at them, suddenly he was horrible. they made it sound like he shouldn’t be drafted at all. ridiculous. he was a physically gifted guy who needed to work on his game. it’s his 3rd year. he played russell, who was horrible b/c of a drug addiction. he made strides last year. he may bust out this year. then what is jj adande gonna say? will he talk about how wrong he was?

• ohioraider

After the Gold Rush Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 7:14 pm

DHB in practice is like what we call batting cage hitters who hit about .850 in the cages and stay under the Mendoza line in the game.

OhioRaider = MR
    ———————————-
    You effin wish I was only MR. I’m ten times the avenging critic MR ever was. Since 2007, only one Ohioraider on this blog. And I watched the 1984 AFC Championship game in person. What do you wanna say about that?

• hendu

Kirk,so how does that help out lbs,going against camp fodder?Guess we disagree,that said,free Raider O! raiders!!!!!!

• rob_raider

if any of you know anything about football, then you know that a player can take time to develop. and players with that type of size and speed can be dominating if they emerge. it’s a crapshoot but al davis rolls the dice with guys who are physical specimens just in case they make it. obviously, there are late round picks who play better than anyone thought. is everyone stupid b/c they didn’t know?

• ohioraider

Dude, they’re stupid when they draft these projects too high and pay them more than they’re worth. More than stupid even, it makes them imbeciles.

• ohioraider

I need a worthy foil. Where’s Father Pride & Poise tonight?

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

————————–
    no it’s just that DHB has shown zero potential as of yet

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

DHB is a roster spot an cap hog. I’ll say this until he proves me different

• PlunkforHOF

113.ohioraider Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 7:54 pm

114.ohioraider Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 7:54 pm
    I need a worthy foil. Where’s Father Pride & Poise tonight?

***********************************************

Translation: I am a troll

• ohioraider

I have been assigned by a secret cabal of long time Raider fans to defeat gullibility wherever I find it, that’s all. My duty brings me here.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Al Davis covets speed. We all know this. But there are good football players who who possess speed an talent. We could have drafted maclin he’s fast an can catch an run routes properly

Nohio = MR?

Reminds me of the classic blonde joke. She calls 911, my house is on fire!, how do we get there ma’am?, Duh! the big red truck!

Nohio = MR
    Sullivan = MR
    Raider = MR

Big Red Truck.

118.ohioraider Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 7:59 pm

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Translation: As MR, I cannot cop to the NancyBoy handle on World of Warcraft but with this name I can.

• Raider J

With the lockout, injuries and youth, I dont expect to see this squad at their full potential until after the midseason bye week. If Raiders can go 4-3 until then, great! 3-4 a’ight but no less

Satele to hospital?!?! Young OL better be ready for the Monday Night lights.
    Murph out game 1. Chaz & V12 down for preseason.
    DHB has a great opportunity to get some reps, make some plays & build some confidence. Forget the past and wishful thinking. Raiders need him to make plays period. Especially if V12 & D-Wow return kicks and punts. Can T. Jones be a return man?

• ohioraider

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 8:06 pm

118.ohioraider Says:
    August 17th, 2011 at 7:59 pm

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

————————————
    Kiss my ass you prick. Go work on your literacy before you take me on.

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

Everybody in the world who criticizes Al Davis, Cannot Be MR. That’s impossible, ok?

The Raiders had 22,000 season ticket holders last year. Looks like fewer this year.

Can the other 50,000 people all be MR?

I know it feels good to ya, but everything that feels good aint sex, ok?

• inonewordathome

how will cj look when he comes back from surgery? DVD or even Huff as starting corner =disaster! DVD aint tacklin anybody

Literacy? Trolling makes you literate MR? Remember your “whether” and “rather” confusion? The rest of us do. Intellectual posing is not your forte (look it up).

In closing clown, you are TOO obvious. It is sad that you even try to hide any more.

• ohioraider

May I say, in conclusion tonight gentlemen, I truly hope I’m wrong about my assessment of this team, with it’s unproven offensive line, shaky secondary, and not-ready-for-primetime receivers. I wish DHB a season with 50 catches and 7 TDs, in which scenario I will gladly eat my words on this blog. But I look at this team, put together by a stubborn old has-been, and it reeks of 7-9. So you ask yourself if that’s enough to maintain your unbending loyalty to the myth of Al Davis.

• ohioraider

You wrong. I’m the same Ohioraider since 2007. I live in Cleveland. A Raider fan since 1970. Nice try though.

• JLofty

Ohioraider = Leatherman

• Pingback: Raider News | WR Murphy, CB Johnson undergo surgery; Murphy out for opener

• Raiders_iecrons

WoW this is amazing about half of u guys are sold on Moore. Now dont get me wrong I’m sure he will turn out to be a good player but u guys are sol for 3 catches an 37 yards. Come on guys let’s not losse our heads and say he is already better than DHB. With out a doubt DHB is better so far on the field but it’s going to be a good fight for that #1 WR spot. If DHB losses than hey it was done on the field with the lights on. Not the practice field

• dvrick

OAKLAND IS USE TO THE RAIDERS SUCKING SO ALL THIS FOOLISH RAMBLING BY YOU GUYS IS POINTLESS!!!!!!

• HeWhoKnowsAll

Three back set. McFadden TB, Bush left WB and Taiwan Jones right WB. They can all catch, run and somewhat block. Run crossbucks and floods that look like a run and Campbell will have a field day. By the time defenses figure it out they are running 5 receiver sets and moving the ball with Murphy, Ford, Shilenz, DHB and Reece motioned into position. BANG, BANG, BANG, who can score more?!!!

• Pingback: Raiders lose CB Johnson to surgery | Fantasy Demon

• Pingback: Só no LoirasNuas.com encontram as melhores bucetas loiras

• Pingback: belleville boot

• Pingback: Belfast Graphic Designer

• Pingback: Free Directory Submission Service

• Pingback: DASH diet menu

• Pingback: A Portal, Nexus, Web Root, and Chat Room.

• Pingback: SWTOR CREDITS