Coach Hue Jackson conference call transcript from Sunday

Here is the transcript from Raiders coach Hue Jackson’s conference call Sunday night, less than 24 hours after the 49ers beat the Raiders 17-3 at Candlestick Park:
Question: Doing better than last night?

Jackson: Yeah, I feel better. It’s a new day.

Q: How is Jason Campbell doing?

A: Jason, obviously, has to follow some protocol, but Jason will be practicing tomorrow.

Q: How much of a relief is that to learn Jason Campbell’s injury isn’t more serious?

A: Oh, it’ss a huge relief. Anytime a guy goes out and needs to be checked, you want to make sure that the next day that everything is going to be OK. He’s going to be well.

Q: How is Kevin Boss?

A: Yeah, Kevin has a knee sprain. He’ll probably wind up being week-to-week as we go forward.

Q: Similar to Chaz Schilens’ situation?

A: Yeah, probably something similar to that.

Q: Anything look better after watching the video of the game?

A: Yeah, there were a couple of guys. Darrius Heyward-Bey made some huge catches, made some plays. Denarius Moore made some plays. Our pass protection units were doing a good job. We still need to improve some things communication-wise in that area but, as a unit, those guys are doing a good job as far as protecting the quarterback.

Q: Any closer to settling upon a starting offensive line?

A: Oh, yeah, we’re getting very close to that. Obviously, we got four preseason games but, as we continue to get people back — hopefully we’ll get a couple more guys back this week — we’ll be closer to making sure that we put those five guys out there.

Q: Will you be more apt to go live in practice to deal with run defense?

A: That’s something that I always keep in my back pocket. As I put the schedule together for tomorrow’s practice and meet with the coaches, we’ll make a decision of what we need to do.

Q: Were run defense problems, technique, positioning or desire?

A: It’s more technique and fundamentals. We need to just continue to practice and hone in on the things that we know that it takes to play very solid, sound run defense. There were definitely some stops at some times but then all of a sudden here’s one skirting out of there, maybe someone jumped out of a gap or something like that. But I think when the players see the tape they’ll understand exactly what it is that we need to do. I know it sounds like a broken record but trust me, we’re going to get this fixed.

Q: With all the talk of building a bully, are you surprised at how far away that aspect is right now?

A: You don’t build a bully overnight. You don’t build a bully in two days or two preseason games. Don’t get me wrong, these preseason games are very important and they all matter. I don’t want to put that out there that they don’t. But I know come September 12th, they truly matter and our team understands that we need to make some strides and we need to get better and we need to keep working. We’re a work in progress. We know what the goal is. We know exactly what it is that we need to get better.

Q: Was the plan for only one series for Trent Edwards if Jason had not gotten hurt?

A: He probably would have went on and started the second half. We just didn’t get the ball on offense much in the first quarter, as you know. We didn’t have many shots. If I’m not mistaken I think our first team played 17 plays. We just didn’t have that many cracks at the ball. If he hadn’t gotten in there when Jason went down I probably would have started him in the third quarter.

Q: Thoughts on backup cornerbacks?

A: Obviously, DeMarcus Van Dyke went in there last night for (Chris Johnson). Again young player, has some talent and getting better. Again, working at it. Obviously Walter McFadden last night played again. Jeremy Ware played again. And (Chimdi) Chekwa played, that was his first action. Again, first time for the young man being in the game in a performance-type situation. He he did some things that he can build on, talking about Chimdi, that he can build on and continue to get better. We just need to continue to have those young guys play so they get the experience of playing in games and understanding what the NFL game is.

Q: Your defenders had trouble matching up with their tight ends. Is that a matter of guys getting beat one-on-one, schemes or simply matchups?

A: Definitely is something we can fix. We play some of the best tight ends in this league, you know. Obviously the young man down in San Diego and we know how to do it. Obviously, there was a couple of instances last night where we (weren’t) where we needed to be. But those things are all very fixable.

Q: Reaction to the shootings after the game last night?

A: I’m going to let (Raiders CEO) Amy Trask speak to that. My reaction is, I hope everybody is fine and safe. That it’s definitely an environment to where we wish that people come out and enjoy a game and hopefully that those things don’t happen.

Q: Anyone else come out of the game ‘nicked’ up?

A: (Jerome) Boyd, was the only other young man, and he had a contusion, and he’ll be day-to-day. But he has an opportunity to practice tomorrow.

Jackson: Let’s talk about something that’s really positive. We had 15 players today, including our top draft picks, Stefen Wisniewski, DeMarcus Van Dyke, and Chimdi Chekwa, they took time out during their day to visit veterans at the veterans home of California in Yountsville, located 10 minutes north of our hotel. That was a heck of a deal by our players on their day off to go do that today.

Steve Corkran

P = Lechler
    LS = Condo

************************

Considering who the starters are all together…….trash

400.bcz24 Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:26 am
    Our Lb’s can’t defend the pass and the current group is too slow outside of Mcclain to change this
    ***********************
    MM34 was pretty stout covering RBs and TEs from that big nickle.

*********************

Sad

• bcz24

I have to agree with that 53 YA

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

REECE= playmaking gimmick guy…not a FB….this has got to stop

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Brien, fans like you make the rest of us decent Raider fans look bad.

*************************

You guys are FANS….I’ve never been one
    ——————-
    Brien, then what are you then?

Bcz….that 53 is in trouble if the right guys aint starting

Wow and Boss will be out for the Denver game I bet

• Hagar the Horrible

Inonewordraider:

If it was some Mexicans from LA involved with those incidents, then they need to stop at King Taco before going up to the bay area. That would mellow then out some and they could just chill and enjoy the game. I took my son to a Raiders vs Rams game when the Rams were still in Anaheim, and I’m not kidding, there must have been over 15 fights in the stands. It was crazy.

405.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:28 am
    Brien, fans like you make the rest of us decent Raider fans look bad.

*************************

You guys are FANS….I’ve never been one
    ——————-
    Brien, then what are you then?

*****************************

You dummy….I’ve posted what I am thousands of times…..get lost and go play in traffic with a blindfold on

Wow and Boss will be out for the Denver game I bet

408.Hagar the Horrible Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:29 am
    Inonewordraider:

******************************

LMAO

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Brien, are you a member of “The Nation”, a “Raider 4 Life”? Give me a break.

• LA to TheBay

Hagar the Horrible Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:29 am
    Inonewordraider:

——————

Nortenos what I heard.

411.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:30 am
    Brien, are you a member of “The Nation”, a “Raider 4 Life”? Give me a break.

******************************

I’d like to break your neck

412.LA to TheBay Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:31 am
    Hagar the Horrible Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:29 am
    Inonewordraider:

——————

Nortenos what I heard.

*****************************

Of course it was….had nada to do with the football game at all

• inonewordraider

.) McClain (and the LB corps in general) had a really bad first couple of drives. For all the talk about the CBs needing to learn how to “pull the trigger”, McClain is the one who most needs to learn when to trust his gut, shoot a gap and make a play. Too often he was a split-second hesitation away from filling a gap in the running game, and it resulted in 5+ yards.

Makes me think that maybe McClain should be calling the defensive plays from WLB where he can still cover TEs and RBs, while focusing more on containing the edge by taking proper angles (something the coaching staff allegedly thinks he’s better at than shedding OGs and FBs on the inside). Considering how poor the edge containment has been, maybe moving McClain outside would help the Raider defense. It would also allow Goethel to move into MLB – a spot he seems like a perfect fit for.

It’s entirely possible McClain is still learning and maturing, but if such a scenario has already “been floated within the organization”, it’ll be interesting to see how much patience the Raiders have.

good question for cork jerrymcd or vittorio to inquire about

• 901Raiders

AdamSchefterAdam Schefter

Raiders take Pryor in 3rd>

• M Lonetree

read today an article by a Xavier professor who concludes that there is no lesser or greater amount of fan violence than in yesteryear, there are just cameras capturing and highlighting today’s events.

• DEATHROW 55

be your self football I am new to this blog but not to football, and I can recognize a decent player when I see one carlisle and groves are decent not sayng they are pro bowlers dic# face.

You prob never even probably played fb and if you did you would be on the sideline bashing your own teammates while you are committing your excellence as a poon on the sideline.

So fuc@ off faggettt and quit responding if you don’t want to hear the truth.

I have no issue with a FA as long as the NT and UT are proper starters….right now we dont have it

***

ROG,

you’re whining about a nose tackle ans stating we don’t have one, right?

who is available in free agency or via trade that you want instead of Tommy Kelly?

right or wrong – I listed 4 players.

You haven’t listed 1 …

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Raiders took Pryor.

• kokomo

Raiders draft Pryor in Round 3. What are they going to do with him now?

• YoungAmerican

Considering who the starters are all together…….trash

—————-

To be clear, it wasn’t meant to be a depth chart. Just who I think will make the roster.

Tonga won’t be on the final 53.

418.DEATHROW 55 Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:32 am

So fuc@ off faggettt and quit responding if you don’t want to hear the truth.

*******************

You have no truth u btch….saying groves or carlisle are decent proves it….no go and die you phaggot

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011 Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:31 am
    411.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:30 am
    Brien, are you a member of “The Nation”, a “Raider 4 Life”? Give me a break.

******************************

I’d like to break your neck
    ————————
    STFU you two bit punk.

• RedneckRaider

Raiders take Pryor in 3rd.

• YoungAmerican

Well, there goes that depth chart.

WR? QB? Hmm. Taken way too high.

• 901Raiders

I hope this will push Campbell. Hopefully Pryor will sit back and learn.

419.RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:32 am

***

ROG,

you’re whining about a nose tackle ans stating we don’t have one, right?

right or wrong – I listed 4 players.

You haven’t listed 1 …

****************************

We have UT….SEYMOUR!

• LA to TheBay

clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap

• No Mas Diamante

If Tonga can show that he is a seriously mean blocker then i think we should keep him over reece. we have a ton of offensive weapons. Like a jon Ritchie type. Mean and nasty. Reece does not have that but I do like his big play ability. No way we keep two FB’s.

I never said Romo should be a LB coach. In fun, to make a point about “attitude,” I suggested he could be a good coach in teaching attitude towards being mean

***

So we should invent a new coaching position and add Romo to the staff as “attitude coach” ?

LOL!

If Hue Jackson, Chuck B, Greg Biekert & Ricky Hunley can’t get this group motivated & prepared … they should be ousted

it’s either on the players or coaches.

pick one and quit making excuses

• LA to TheBay

Knew Al couldn’t resist.

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Stroud does nada to help us!

• M Lonetree

as in each game there is a pivotal play where it all turns one way or the other.
    for me on Saturday it was a wide open Ausberry’s drop of a perfectly thrown pass that would’ve netted a first down and sustained momentum for the Raider offense.
    since I’ve seen that movie before and know how it ends I paid much less attention the rest of the game ’cause I knew it was going to be a waste of time.

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExcellence2011

Williams is done saw him in denver last year…Kemo yes

• No Mas Diamante

put in a special package for Pryor. Hybrid wildcat with mcfadden. Fun to watch.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

That Goal Line Offense was ridiculous! We need to have Tonga – or a real FB – in there in Goal Line formations. I like Reece, but we need a big blocking FB back there as well imo.

BRB

437.BigTed707 Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 10:37 am

***************

Yup

ROG,

gimme a nose tackle or pipe down when I make suggestions man

it’s that simple.

you can’t criticize without giving me a better alternative – you’d sound like a woman on the rag

• emil4423

We got pryor

• 0ak_R8Dr89

Pryor to raiders for 3 rd rounder

• YoungAmerican

Tonga played plenty against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Didn’t do a whole lot for the running game.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Hmmm Wonder what other teams that really need a Qb DIDNT see in him that they would have beat us out to get him.

• bcz24

Super… another QB who can’t play at a pro level. Im exstatic.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Not surprised about the Pryor pick. Bengals were probably gonna take him in the 4th, so we had to strike now.

• inonewordraider

.) Jason Campbell still needs to learn to be consistent. Defenses are going to try to pressure him. He has to learn to trust his receivers to be in the right place and make the tough throw with a defender or two in his face. Until he can do that, the offense’s performance is going to hit-or-miss. They’ll have some great games, and they’ll have some games where they can’t do anything. This game reminded me a whole lot of last season’s game against the 49ers. The Raiders are prone to performances like this, which is why I can’t envision them doing any better than 8-8.

I think Jason did a good job of trusting his arm and trusting his receiver throwing into tight coverage on both of DHBs receptions. On the sacks he should’ve thrown the ball away tucked the ball away to run sooner or just taken the sack. The 4th down play it’s preseason who cares if its intercepted.

• DeuceDeuce

Does Pyror wear #2?…

• DeuceDeuce

Thats the big question.. Does he erase the thought of the previous #2..

• emil4423