Coach Hue Jackson says Terrelle Pryor ‘looks like a quarterback’

Raiders coach Hue Jackson on Friday did his best once again to keep the focus on the players who will be there for the regular-season opener. But there was no way around quarterback Terrelle Pryor stealing the spotlight on the final day of training camp in Napa.

Pryor signed a four-year contract Thursday night and was on the field for the final practice. Jackson made sure Pryor wasn’t there to watch, either.

Pryor showed up in a No. 6 jersey, not the No. 2 he wore in college at Ohio State.

“Coach won’t let me wear No. 2,” Pryor said. “Why, I don’t know? You tell me. He won’t let me wear No. 2. I’m just going off what coach tells me.”

We’ll help him out with that, given he’s new in town. No. 2 was the number worn by quarterback JaMarcus Russell from 2007 until he was released before the 2010 season.

The Raiders selected Pryor in the third round of the supplemental draft, in part, because Russell turned into a collossal bust as the No. 1 pick of the 2007 NFL draft.

Pryor arrives without the gaudy contract that Russell received — $32 million guaranteed — but he faces much of the same scrutiny.

Chief among the curiosity is whether Pryor can succeed at quarterback in the NFL.

So far, so good, according to Jackson.

“The guy is big, athletic,” Jackson said. “He can throw it. He looks like a quarterback, feels like a quarterback, sounds like a quarterback, and I’m very excited to work with him.”

Pryor said he is more concerned with what Jackson and his other coaches think than he is about those outside the organization.

“No, I don’t have (anything to prove),” Pryor said. “Obviously, anytime you come in fresh, you have something to prove. I’m just trying to get better. I’m not here to answer any critics. I’m just trying to answer myself. I’m the biggest critic. I don’t really hear the other critics anyway. I’m the biggest critic and I’m just trying to prove it to myself. That’s all I’m trying to do.”

Pryor attempted nine passes in full-team drills Friday. He completed four, though three were short passes just beyond the line of scrimmage. The only deep pass he threw was underthrown and well behind wide receiver Chad Jackson, who made a nice adjustment and impressive catch.

Several of Pryor’s passes fluttered and were well wide of the mark. Rookie tight end Richard Gordon failed to catch Pryor’s best-looking throw, a laser-like pass across the middle.

In fairness to Pryor, he spent 17 hours traveling to Oakland on Thursday, likely didn’t get much sleep and was thrust into the mix without much preparation.

“Not nervous, but you’re getting so much information and you’re just trying to … my mind wants to accomplish it, I want to accomplish it,” Pryor said. “But it’s just overwhelming.”

Pryor is permitted to practice through next week and play in the Raiders exhibition games Sunday and Sept. 2 against the Seattle Seahawks before he begins a five-game suspension.

It’s unlikely Pryor will play this Sunday. However, Jackson said it’s quite possible that he will give Pryor some time in the exhibition finale.

Once that game ends, Pryor has to begin his suspension for his role in violations that occurred at Ohio State. He is eligible to resume practicing with the Raiders at the start of Week 6 in the regular season.

*Pryor’s debut overshadowed the arrival of veteran cornerback Lito Sheppard. He was signed Friday morning, given former Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha’s old No. 21 and thrown into the mix, as well.

Jackson said Sheppard was signed because he makes the Raiders better in the secondary and not because of injuries to starter Chris Johnson and rookie backup DeMarcus Van Dyke.

Sheppard isn’t expected to play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints. He said he expects to play a significant role in the defense before long, though.

“It’s a fairly young group,” Sheppard said. “They definitely want to see some veteran leadership around and once I get in shape, a little game shape, I’ll definitely be a big part of whatever they have planned.”

Sheppard is a former Pro Bowler who excelled for many seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles. He said he also received interest from the New York Giants before he settled upon the Raiders.

He relishes the opportunity to play some more man-to-man, a staple of the Raiders defensive philosophy.

“That’s what I primarily did the majority of my career,” Sheppard said. “It’s definitely tough on the corners but, hey, that’s what I do, that’s what got me into this league and, obviously, that’s what’s going to keep me around or take me out.”

*The Raiders are just about set at every position, Jackson said, with the notable exception of the offensive line.

Even that is beginning to sort itself out. More and more, it’s looking as if the starters are going to be: Jared Veldheer, Stefen Wisniewski, Samson Satele, Cooper Carlisle and Khalif Barnes.

Second-year player Bruce Campbell, rookie Joseph Barksdale and veterans Stephon Heyer and Daniel Loper remain starting candidates, but they didn’t get many reps with the starters Friday.

*This camp went on for a month without any major issues arising or taking away from the football team.

It’s been many years since that has been the case. In recent seasons, there always seemed to be something distracting from the action on the field.

It was either coach Lane Kiffin sniping at managing general partner Al Davis, Russell holding out, coach Tom Cable getting in an altercation with an assistant coach or wide receiver Jerry Porter being at odds with coach Art Shell.

“That’s the way it should be,” Jackson said. “I don’t want drama. It’s hard to become a good football team when there’s a bunch of drama surrounding your team.

“We head into this season on a clean slate when it starts. Everybody is going to start zero-zero, with no issues, and we’re going to roll out the ball and start playing.”

*Jackson said he still hasn’t decided how long his projected starters are going to play against the Saints. It’s worth noting that the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins starters still were going at it well into the third quarter on Thursday night.

Given this is the Raiders third game, this is the game when the starters will see their most action.

*Starting middle linebacker Rolando McClain began practice in full uniform. Before long, he was on the sideline for the third straight practice.

Jackson insists that McClain is fine, and McClain appears fine, as well. No word on whether he will play Sunday or if he’s just working through a nagging injury.

*The Raiders released rookie quarterback Jordan La Secla and offensive lineman Alan Pelc to make room on the roster for Pryor and Sheppard.

*Tight end Brandon Myers and receiver Steve Goulet returned to practice. Also, Heyer participated in full-team drills for the first time since he strained his right triceps almost two weeks ago.

Offensive lineman Roy Schuening’s left hand/arm is in a sizable cast. No word from Jackson on how Schuening suffered his injury or how long he is out for.

*Rookie running back Taiwan Jones received extensive reps Friday, and he made the most of every one.

On one play, he hauled in a quick screen from Campbell in the backfield, turned the corner and raced past any defender who approached. He also made a nice cut near the goal line on a screen pass, eluded the nearest defender and continued into the end zone.

Jones missed Oakland’s first two exhibition games with a hamstring injury. He is expected to play Sunday for the first time since he was drafted by the Raiders.

*The Raiders have a walk-through in Alameda at their year-round facility Saturday. They will be off Monday before beginning their in-season schedule at Alameda.

Steve Corkran

• mizza

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

You know it lefty, better to be a cautious game manager than a brave fool.

i just watched it again last night there was a db trailing boss and could have been baiting the throw. there were also other defenders in between jc and boss. JC was on the run and couldnt stop and set his feet to ensure an accurate throw.

In my view he made the right play. be conservative and try on the next down, if you dont get it kick the field goal. Dont force the ball when you are uncertain and lose a chance to score.

==================================================

Man, I know that you really like Campbell, but you dont have to defend every throw the guy makes. I like Campbell, and its fine to admit that he makes bad plays himself. The guy himself basically conceded that he should have made that pass. The quote:

On one play, he had tight end Kevin Boss wide open in the corner of the end zone but opted to tuck the ball and go for the touchdown via the run. He was stuffed for a 1-yard loss.

“It was actually a run-pass option,” Campbell said. “If I had to do it all over again, I’d try to get out of the fake as soon as I could and get my eyes around and at least give him a chance at the back of the end zone.”

That will come, he said, with more practice time and exhibition games.

“It’s preseason,” Campbell said. “You want to take those tries. Coming out of this game, one thing we’re trying to learn is we have to finish. The only play I regret from tonight is probably that one. It’s a run first play but at the same time you should try to give him a shot in the back of the end zone.”

Again man. You have good takes. I enjoy reading what you have to say. But don’t forget that you dont have to defend a position to the death in order to win the argument. Just say, “ya, campbell messed up. All qb’s do. It doesn’t mean he’s a bad qb. players aren’t defined by one play.” and move on.

• GoodOle00

End of camp last practice notes from Napa

• oldschoolraider

# Kirk Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Peyton threw 28 interceptions his first year?

It takes some balls to throw 28 interceptions.

______________________________________________

Yah! 28 to be exact.

• GoodOle00

Good gord Taiuwain looks fast. fastest guy on a fast team

• GoodOle00

Campbell had a really good camp. Hope it translates

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Looks like Barksdale, Bruce Campbell and all the young cornerbacks will be in backup roles come start of the season.

Doesn’t surprise me. You all were asking a lot to see these young kids just become instant starters/major contributors.

It takes time….especially for mid-late round picks.

I only HOPE…that the Raiders give Barksdale and Campbell several reps with the 1st team early in the game.

THEIR 1ST EXPERIENCE WITH 1s IN A GAME CAN’T BE WEEK 1 OR 2!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

GoodOle00 Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 4:46 pm
    End of camp last practice notes from Napa

=======================================================
    Nice photo of Trevor Scott in coverage against DMAC?

Oh boy…….

• Plunketthead

Good point lonetree

• M Lonetree

once upon a time the verdict was withheld “until proven guilty”.

the internet age assumes that everyone is either a star or a bust after one practice or three weeks or two years of either instantaneous or non-instantaneous satisfaction.

woe be to Nnamdi after his first two years if this blog had existed.

Pryor has no prior acts in the NFL. He is not a suckeye anymore, he is a Raider. give the kid a break until proven otherwise.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# mizza Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

That will come, he said, with more practice time and exhibition games.

=====================================

Actually i have never seen this quote until now. my take was based strictly on what i saw from my couch.

Of course I take JC at his word. When he screws it up i have no problem saying he did, see the threads after the sf game last year.

I dont know you in here, but you have me all wrong

• raiderinparadise

Ok, you are all hating on me for hatiNG on Pryor? Tell me honestly you think he can be a good NFL qb?

to me he is the category below:

TAVARIS JACKSON
    JOE WEBB
    BRAD SMTIH
    TROY SMITH
    CAM NEWTON
    COLIN KAPERNICK
    VINCE YOUNG (not sure he belongs here too much)

he throws a wobbly ball (yes like russell you can’t tell he doesn’t) inaccurate. Pryor is different because he is a crazy good athlete. he can run. 4.3 speed. he is not a NFl qb though, his camp write-ups from reporters sound a lot like russells.

SORRY THIS LEAGUE IS DOMINATED BY SMART POCKET PASSERS. NOT DUMB ATHELETES WITH BAD MORALS.

so you can try to insult me all you want, i know football and QB’s.

go buy your pryor jersys lol

i like that we got him in the 3rd but he wont ever make it

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

JLofty Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

“look he has time to develop BUT he is not a QB, Tavaris jacksons, troy smiths, joe webbs, brad smiths, vince youngs, newtons, they all suck. face it.”
    ===================

who in the hell wrote that david duke?

• SnB offense defense specialteams

I hope Wizniewski is the best Guard of the group too. Too bad he couldn’t beat out Satele for Center.

I also hope Lito Sheppard still has something in the tank to fill in if CJ or Routt falters.

• raideredoutL.A.

#106. SnB, one of the better posters in here. Much respect.

• RaiderLen

M Lonetree Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 4:52 pm
    once upon a time the verdict was withheld “until proven guilty”.

woe be to Nnamdi after his first two years if this blog had existed.

————————————–
    THAT! is what I’m talking about.

Is perspective and instant gratification an oxymoron?

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Raiderinparadise,

Why didn’t you add Alex Smith, JP Losman, Tim Tebow, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf, Kyle Boller, Chad Henne, Dave Carr, Rob Johnson, Brady Quinn……

Oh nevermind…people criticize you cause they can read you childrens book.

Pathetic

• TheGeneral

Now that lito is here who gets AXED at CB

• Plunketthead

It did not take Trent long to move past Kyle as #2
    Jason better not look over his shoulder

• DKnight007

Raiders still need proper depth at the WOLB spot!!!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Very concerned about Henderson’s foot injury. Still not healed and rarely gets better during the season.

Raiders would do well to have a backup plan for Henderson…and I don’t mean Desmond Bryant.

• The Oracle

The game is at O.co coliseum. Be there Raider fans!!

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

TheGeneral Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 5:01 pm
    Now that lito is here who gets AXED at CB

=======================================

Maybe WMAC.

• M Lonetree

RaiderLen,

more like oxygen wasters. is that perspective?

• Plunketthead

I am old school. I remember when Rookies seldom played in their first year or two

• Dvprick

69.RaiderDuck Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 12:32 pm
    So besides Ohioraider, Sullivan44 and RAIDER, how many other sockpuppets does MR have?

——————————–
    Beecham
    charged up
    alex 7 is suspect
    ohio raider isn’t
    Dvrick
    Albert Bigelow Paine
    89025 Raider
    Raider in Paradise

Please feel free to add to the list.

thats just to name a few. probably another 30-50 names or so. there pretty easy to spot, there are a lot of similarities in dialogue and mannerisms.

JHill, if you think that mouth-diareah is funny beecham spews, you really need to check some values.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

DKnight,

There is no depth at any of the linebacker spots and arguably no starter at the WOLB.

I just hope the Al, Hue and Chuck go into this season EYES WIDE OPEN about this run defense….

Its not just hustle, attitude and playing better…good run defense requires technique and discipline….if they are going in trying to WILL the run defense….gonna be a long year

• http://build-a-bully 909RaiderLifer

Raiders coach Hue Jackson said after Friday’s practice that Terrelle Pryor “looks like a quarterback, feels like a quarterback and sounds like a quarterback.” But is he an NFL quarterback? That answer won…
    Pryor jumps right in on first day
    Friday, August 26, 2011
    Pryor jumps right in on first day

But is he an NFL quarterback? That answer won’t come for a while but on Friday Pryor, the team’s third-round pick in Monday’s supplemental draft, did jump right into his first practice.

Pryor, who signed a four-year deal late Thursday night, was wearing No. 6. “Coach won’t let me wear No. 2,” He said. Why? I don’t know.” The answer is the last No. 2, JaMarcus Russell, was arguably the biggest bust in NFL history … and his shadow looms large as well.

The former Ohio State star was at Jackson’s side most of practice, listening to plays and tips, and did jump in for 16 snaps (fumbling two). His passing was not very sharp, but what did anyone expect on his first day with no preparation.

“I’m 17, 18 days, practices behind right now,” Pryor said. “I’m just playing catchup right now. I’m starting to get familiar with some of the stuff. Give me a couple of days, and I should be able to fill it in and feel a lot more comfortable.”

He said he had numerous flight delays Thursday because of Hurricane Irene and it took him 17 hours to get to Napa from back East. And then he was handed a four-inch thick playbook.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/index#ixzz1WBMQBYBc
    “““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    Not worried at all if Pryors 1st. practice was shaky at best.
    Bring him along slowly, get him in some goalline/wild cat packages towards the end of the season..

More or less a red shirt year for him any how.

Furthermore, IF he’s starting for us say week 12, that means we’ll be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. And, Pryor may have to change his jersey # to something in the 80′s next year…

• DKnight007

They need a WOLB and they should sign Lofa to a cheap deal, since he would bring experience if not anything else.

• mizza

As long as we’re talking about all the athletic qb’s that failed, lets not forget to mention:

Vick
    Freeman
    McNabb
    Rodgers
    Garrard

I think the point is, you can become a good qb in many numbers of ways, including being mobile and athlete. Lets give the kid more then his first practice before we condemn him.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Plunketthead Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 5:05 pm
    ===================================================
    Outside of 1st and high 2nd round non-QBs….I wouldn’t expect any rookie to start or just get in there and be a significant contributor.

You will have pleasant surprises like Ford and increasingly Moore.

But people underestimate the learning that goes on. The trial and error process…the technique the speed of the game..and having to face an opponent that has film studied straight for 100 hours.

Totally different ball game.

• M Lonetree

S&B,

Irene is the goddess of peace in Greek mythology.
    Quentin and Lito are the men to plug the holes.
    Beyond that the Raiders have the illustrious Jon Condo to fend off any and all challenges as LS fill-in LB and emrgency C!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

the only way pryor sees the field this year is in some gimmick package. he missed the whole camp so he is essentially useless.

he will only be challenging for a back up role next year as well.

• Pingback: Raider News | Coach Hue Jackson says Terrelle Pryor

• RaiderLen

M Lonetree Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 5:05 pm
    RaiderLen,

more like oxygen wasters. is that perspective?
    —————————————-
    Mabey? as you know, perspective helps one become more efficient.

For better or worse. lol

• big fan

69.RaiderDuck Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

——————————–
    Beecham
    charged up
    alex 7 is suspect
    ohio raider isn’t
    Dvrick
    Albert Bigelow Paine
    89025 Raider
    Raider in Paradise

Please feel free to add to the list.

realmaddenraider

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# mizza Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Vick
    Freeman
    McNabb
    Rodgers
    Garrard

========================

mobile qb that won the super bowl

montana young elway staubach plunkett (even though he wasnt nearly as mobile when he played for us).

Why people discount a qb simply because he can move is beyond me

• Plunketthead

Vick
    Freeman
    McNabb
    Rodgers
    Garrard
    Cunningham

• SnB offense defense specialteams

I hope Irene is in a peaceful frame of mind…going to be meeting her real soon.

Quentin has to do more than plug a hole…if he’s going to start in the front 7..he has to man up…can’t win with running backs getting to second level.

If Jon Condo is on the field….I will most likely be calling it the night.

• big fan

I for one am thrilled about Pryor. Give the guy time and he’ll be a good one. He seems smart and willing to learn. Seems like he has a head on his shoulders.

Wonder if the #2 directive came from Al? If so, great move.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Quite honestly…Pryor shouldn’t see the field at all.

With all the speed and athleticism on the offense, Pryor adds nothing as far as surprise.

Use DMAC for the “Wild Hog” as it was called…he was the one that pioneered the doggone formation

• The Oracle

All the big boys get your tix and haul it to the game, like a true player.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Also, Pryor needs to prepare and train to be a QB which should take up all his time.

If you all want him to be Brady/Manning like in grasp of playbook…wasting time on gimmick B.S is not the way to do it.

Plus the play probably won’t work and would be a waste of a down…gimmick plays rarely work

• Plunketthead

Beecham
    charged up
    alex 7
    Dvrick
    Albert Bigelow Paine
    89025 Raider
    Raider in Paradise
    RAIDER
    Sullivan44
    Realmaddenraider (he lost this name some time ago)

You think MR = Beecher?

• M Lonetree

S&B,

you did add “Specialteams” to this year’s version of yourself.
    Anyway, I added that just to jibe BoSJack if he decided to pilfer through the goings-on hereabouts.

• The Oracle

Win, lose, or tie….

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Plunketthead Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Beecham
    charged up
    alex 7
    Dvrick
    Albert Bigelow Paine
    89025 Raider
    Raider in Paradise
    RAIDER
    Sullivan44
    Realmaddenraider (he lost this name some time ago)

You think MR = Beecher?
    ============

dont forget my personal favorite

realgradkowskiraider

• mizza

Ya, i’ve noticed that people like to divide qb’s into two camps. Either you’re a smart, slow, pocket passer. Or you’re a fast, athletic moron who runs around and improvises every play.

Like, for instance, people generally think of someone like rodgers and matt ryan as these traditional pocket passers who sit there like marino. they aren’t. Those cats can kill you with their legs.

Like it just boggles peoples minds to think that freeman and vick can actually manage an nfl offense. Like its amazing that they can do progressions.

• SaintKaufman

Hey, whatever happened to Raider O?

• M Lonetree

Plunketthead you are on a roll. everything you surmise looks copasetic from my eye.

• DutchRaider77

Happy 90th Birthday Joe Rogers!
    Marine who stormed the beaches of Iwo Jima…