Terrelle Pryor transcript after first practice with Raiders

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor signed a four-year contract with the Raiders on Thursday night, made his way to Napa on Friday morning and practiced with his new teammates for the first time.

His first practice featured a handful of reps in full-team drills and included nine passes. Pryor completed only four of his passes and looked rather shaky.

Still, Pryor’s confidence remains intact, and he is certain that he has what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. That subject was one of many he touched upon during an eight-minute interview. Here is the complete transcript:

Q: How was Day 1?

A: “It was fun interacting with the other quarterbacks here. It was a good time. It was a lot of information in one day, but I’ll get used to it.”

Q: What was coach Jackson saying to you?

A: “He was just helping me out. He’s a great coach. I enjoy him a lot and I look forward to working with him.”

Q: How much work will you be able to get done before the suspension kicks in?

A: “I would say the rewind and the problem is that now I’m 17, 18 days, practices behind right now. I’m just playing catchup right now. Some of the stuff is getting there, and I’m starting to get familiar with some of the stuff. But it’s been one day. Give me a couple of days, and I should be able to fill it in and feel a lot more comfortable.”

Q: What do you hope to accomplish your rookie season?

A: “I don’t know. Just help out and help to win. Get in, get my feet wet a little bit and just really learn off of Jason Campbell and the other quarterbacks here because they’ve been around the block.”

Q: How much fun have you had the past two days?

A: “I wouldn’t say fun because I traveled yesterday for about, what, 17 hours. They had delays because of that Irene and bringing with it the weather. I don’t know if I call that exactly fun, but it’s fun that I was able to get an opportunity to come out here and now I’m out here. So, it’s fun that I’m back on the practice field.”

Q: Were you nervous the first day of school?

A: “Not nervous, but you’re getting so much information and you’re just trying to … my mind wants to accomplish it, I want to accomplish it. But it’s just overwhelming.”

Q: Were you OK with coach Jackson throwing you right into the mix?

A: “The biggest thing was I had to get the cadence down. I was learning the cadence. At first, coach was playing around with me, saying he was going to embarrass me and stuff like that. I had fun. I’m learning and I like the way coach makes his quarterbacks learn.”

Q: How important is it to be low key at first?

A: “This right here probably isn’t the best thing right here. But, just pretty much be quiet, talk when I’m supposed to talk and just learn. I’m behind the 8-ball and I’m just trying to learn and get as many things done as I can possible.”

Q: How disappointed are you at being suspended?

A: “It’s a disappointment because I’ve never sat out any games, even when I was hurt. I tried as much as I could and I played, even when I was hurt. Not being allowed to play in a game and miss games, I don’t really know. When you ask me next time, I probably could be able to tell you what it feels like. Right now, I’m just trying to play catch up and get the information as much as I can.”

Q: Was the judgment fair?

A: “It’s what the call was. Like I said before, I didn’t have to be in the supplemental draft, and I was allowed in. I’m just going to take the opportunity. I’m not going to bad mouth it or give my opinion on the good side, bad side. It goes both ways. I’m just glad they gave me the opportunity. That’s all I can really answer on that.”

Q: What do you say to critics who say you can’t play QB at this level?

A: “Ask coach Jackson.”

Q: He said you’re a QB?

A: “Yeah, ask him after a couple of practices.”

Q: Feel as if you have something to prove?

A: “No, I don’t have … Obviously, anytime you come in fresh, you have something to prove. I’m just trying to get better. I’m not here to answer any critics. I’m just trying to answer myself. I’m the biggest critic. I don’t really hear the other critics anyway. I’m the biggest critic and I’m just trying to prove it to myself. That’s all I’m trying to do.”

Q: What have your conversations with managing general partner Al Davis been like?

A: I haven’t met him yet face to face. I’ve chatted with him a couple times on the phone. He’s just an aggressive guy and he loves to win. That’s what I get out of him.

Q: Impressions of Jason Campbell, and what is the relationship like?

A: He’s great. That goes for all the quarterbacks, they’re great, helping me and just trying to catch me up as fast as possible. Jason Campbell he’s a great quarterback.

Q: Jason said guys teasing him for looking like your older brother, you feel that way?

A: He carries himself like a professional. I can’t speak any more highly of him. That’s all you can say. He just carries himself like that, acts like that. He’s a great person. I look forward to working with him.

Q: Are you determined to be QB in NFL?

A: Yes.

Q: Hue said he will play to strengths, what are yours?

A: That’s why we’re out here on the practice field trying to find it out. I don’t know. I don’t know what he’s envisioning.

Q: What were strengths at Ohio State?

A: A lot. It’s too hard to break down for you in the time I have. I’m sure you’ll see it whenever I get on the field and have a chance.

Q: Thoughts on how Raiders been playing on offense and how you can contribute?

A: I haven’t really thought much of that because they have a quarterback right now. Right now I’m behind the eight ball trying to catch up. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Q: Have you watched much of them of late?

A: Yeah. I watched the offense sitting at home on TV. But you can’t really break things down because you don’t know if someone ran the wrong route or the throw. You can’t really break things down like that. You have to be in the film room and know exactly what the plays are and see what really went wrong and not judge off of TV.

Q: How fearful were you that you would not be in supplemental draft?

A: I was fearful because I didn’t want to sit out a year. Things worked out for the best. I’m happy about that.

Q: What did you tell NCAA about all the cheating you did at OhioState?

A: I’d prefer not to answer questions about the NCAA.

Q: This feel like a fresh start personally and professionally?

A: Yes sir. I’m just happy to be here and ready to start fresh and ready to learn as much information as I can possible. I can just breathe and feel a lot better. I’m happy. I’m ready to get going.

Q: Last time you played something other than QB?

A: I think it was my freshman year. I always played running back because I had a lot of speed and always go on these sweeps and stuff right and left and things like that. I love playing the quarterback position and I can’t envision myself playing anything else. I truly enjoy it.

Q: What No. 6 instead of No. 2?

A: Coach won’t let me wear No. 2. Why, I don’t know? You tell me. He won’t let me wear No. 2. I’m just going off what coach tells me.

Q: When you ran so fast at your workout, did you hear talk that Raiders would take you?

A: Nah. I had no clue what was going on. I was getting ready for the draft process.

Q: Can you compare this challenge to anything else in your life?

A: In terms of what.

Q: Starting as fourth QB and trying to accomplish what you want?

A: I don’t understand.

Q: Uphill battle?

A: It’s a challenge anytime you want to go somewhere and you aren’t there quite yet. Even when you get there it’s still a challenge to stay where you’re at. I’m just looking forward to getting better. I’m No. 4 right now. That’s OK. I have a lot to learn. This is my first day.

Steve Corkran

Hagar The Horrible
    Plunkett for HOF
    Don Manoukins Neighbor

and the latest:

MistaBrown

• Just Fire Baby

Cam throws a much better ball than Tebow that much is for sure.

Tebow started 3X’s as many college games though, and that is going to be the biggest issue for Cam, IMO.

Every young QB’s see’s things in the NFL, AT THE NFL LEVEL, for the first time. But Cam is seeing things in the NFL that he has never seen before, AT ANY LEVEL, because of his inexperience and style of play.

• PlunkforHOF

and the latest:

MistaBrown
    Skeptic

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:49 pm
    Dakota Elway is GOD huh? to you at least..

Look Elway was a sensational top teir QB, you Mutt and Jeffs in here think I’m comparing CAREERS and I;m not and comparing talents. There is a big difference there career may never parallel that doesn’t mena Vick isn’t more talented than Elway. Vick may never win a SB it doesn’t mean he’s not more talented. But i guess even an explanation will go over most the heads of you hicks in here. SB’s won or played does not determine talent of one player. It never has.
    ———————
    Vick isn’t more talented than Elway. He’s not more talented than Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rapistburger either. All those guys have more talent than Vick. You are mistaking talent for speed. If Vick couldn’t run like he does, than he wouldn’t even be that good.

• Just Fire Baby

SB’s won or played does not determine talent of one player. It never has.

***********************

Correct.

And talent doesn’t always determine winning or losing.

It never has.

• priesttj

T’pin it’s the way it goes in this society they have no problem believing evil of blacks and will defend and deny the same evil in whites. It’s nothing new and earth shattering it just gets a little tiring after a while.

I can bow to every white QB on earth but let spend an afternoon praising a couple of black QB’s and all of a sudden the race card gets played………it never fails, it never fails.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Priesttj,

You let a blog full of faceless posters get you way to fired up…

Only thing that matters is that Al Davis appears to be colorblind when looking at fielding the best players.

Priesttj Says:

and the latest:

MistaBrown
    Skeptic – plunketthead pristtj

priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:42 pm Ok guys,I admit I’m MR

• Duct Tape

Dude. Steve is blowing it. Bring back Jerry. This guys last priority is this site, and it shows.

• Master Beeeecham

:mrgreen: feed me

# SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Priesttj,

You are a loser,let a blog full of faceless posters get you way to fired up…

Only thing is that Al Davis appears to be blind when looking at fielding the best players.

• Master Beeeecham

:mrgreen: feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed me

• Master Beeeecham

:megreen: feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed me

• priesttj

I’m not mistaken anything at all YOU are far too focused on what I might think of his SPEED. I take everything into consideration UNLIKE YOU who thinks the only thing he does is run fast…………you have no clue how I evaluate those players you’re just making an assumption and an IGNORANT ONE!!!

• Master Beeeecham

:mrgreen: feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed me

Priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:42 pm
    SnB Nobody is a sure fire thing what the hell are you talking about. Everybody has to produce man not only him. These black guys in here only want there kind praised that’s what bothers me if I say anything positive about a white QB they get upset.
    I’m not black, I’m Vietnamese.

# priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

i only like black ones….the hell with you guys I’m going to start rooting against the Raiders!!!Hows that.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Dvrick,

You need serious help. I can only hope you are an immature little kid.

Get a life son!

# SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I need serious help. You can only hope I am an immature little kid.

I’ve gotta Get a life soon!

• JB

TJ

Why are you interacting with that troll? Nobody cares what he/she says. Actually, most skip over any entry by that person and don’t even read it – at least I do.

# Boogie Louie from Tuskanookey Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Beechum = Dvprick
    ******************how did you figure it out?

• priesttj

That is the sam eproblem that is indiginous to most white people when they see an athletic blac QB. They don’t see QB they see athlete and that is where it stops………..yeah he’s a great athlete they’re all great athletes but they can’t think……..it’s an age old stereotype. That is why when white people see Vick play they see all athlete and ignore everything else that he doesbecause they’re soo focused on his athleticism they forget he just passed for 300 yards and 3 TD’s. All because he ran for 75 yards and a TD.

I heard this stuff for 40 years and it never stops whenever i talk abouyt an athletic black QB all I get is he’s an athlete as if it’s a sin to be an athlete and a QB…………..it’s the most insane thing I’ve ever heard yet it’s widely accepted as NORMAL and CORRECT.

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

AL throws a much better ball than Tebow that much is for sure.

Tebow started 3X’s as many college games though, and that is going to be the biggest issue for AL, IMO.

Every young QB’s see’s things in the NFL, AT THE NFL LEVEL, for the first time. But AL is seeing things in the NFL that he has never seen before, AT ANY LEVEL, because of his inexperience and style of play.

• JB

Actually, I don’t think that’s even Priesttj. Not the same style writing. Probably just the troll and his/her skizo personalities talking to each other.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

Listen to me Al, lock Shaughnessy up NOW!! Fo not mess this up Raiders! Matt is the next bigtime D lineman home grown in Oakland! He is the future of our D line. Along with Houston!

# JB Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 3:17 pm

TJ

Why are we not interacting with that troll? We should care what he/she says. Actually, over any entry by any other person! read it – at least I do.

• Raider on the Sea

Tj, I like what Al did in getting Pryor. I hope that now he can create (which he seems to be doing) stability and keep the same coaches and just reload with the draft. I want to see everything in order and in place so that when Pryor does get the reigns, its all systems go.

# JB Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

# priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Yea here comes all the bigots I’m not supposed to recognise talent if it’s white…………go to hell the whole lot of ya’

# JB Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Actually, I think even Priesttj is MR. Probably just the troll and his/her skizo personalities talking to each other.I always thought he was off in the head!!!!!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Priesttj,

I get the gist of what your saying and the label athletic QB usually has negative connotations in popular culture.

However, Tim Tebow received the same critique when he came out as well…and if not for the baffoonery that was Josh McDaniels…I doubt Tebow gets drafted until the 4th round.

As far as Pryor is concerned, I haven’t seen the kid play much. But I do understand that he was drafted in the 3rd round. That suggests to me that the professionals (scouts, GMs, coaches etc..) see promise in him, but he has enough question marks that teams did not believe he was worth the risk of not mastering the position.

By the way, not a negative per se…but I would suggest to you that this kid has a ways to go to MASTER the position.

Remember, most college QBs don’t make it.

And in order to make it, I think QBs have to emulate the preparation that the QBs that last in this league and have known consistent success seem to do. Bury your head in the playbook, master fundamentals and lead the team.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

I agree with the T Pryor pick but we must get jcamp under contract for at least one mire season. Let this kid mature. Maybe two seasons. Ala Aaron Rodgers an Tom Brady
    sit bhind Campbell learn master the playbook. Oh an most importantly keep the same coaching staff an system. That’s the biggest killer for a young QB
    changing system after system can really f’k a guy up.

All in all with that said. T pryor is gonna succeed at this level

• Pingback: PHILOSOAPHY

• Pingback: pampers baby pamper baby dry diapers