Terrelle Pryor transcript after first practice with Raiders

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor signed a four-year contract with the Raiders on Thursday night, made his way to Napa on Friday morning and practiced with his new teammates for the first time.

His first practice featured a handful of reps in full-team drills and included nine passes. Pryor completed only four of his passes and looked rather shaky.

Still, Pryor’s confidence remains intact, and he is certain that he has what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. That subject was one of many he touched upon during an eight-minute interview. Here is the complete transcript:

Q: How was Day 1?

A: “It was fun interacting with the other quarterbacks here. It was a good time. It was a lot of information in one day, but I’ll get used to it.”

Q: What was coach Jackson saying to you?

A: “He was just helping me out. He’s a great coach. I enjoy him a lot and I look forward to working with him.”

Q: How much work will you be able to get done before the suspension kicks in?

A: “I would say the rewind and the problem is that now I’m 17, 18 days, practices behind right now. I’m just playing catchup right now. Some of the stuff is getting there, and I’m starting to get familiar with some of the stuff. But it’s been one day. Give me a couple of days, and I should be able to fill it in and feel a lot more comfortable.”

Q: What do you hope to accomplish your rookie season?

A: “I don’t know. Just help out and help to win. Get in, get my feet wet a little bit and just really learn off of Jason Campbell and the other quarterbacks here because they’ve been around the block.”

Q: How much fun have you had the past two days?

A: “I wouldn’t say fun because I traveled yesterday for about, what, 17 hours. They had delays because of that Irene and bringing with it the weather. I don’t know if I call that exactly fun, but it’s fun that I was able to get an opportunity to come out here and now I’m out here. So, it’s fun that I’m back on the practice field.”

Q: Were you nervous the first day of school?

A: “Not nervous, but you’re getting so much information and you’re just trying to … my mind wants to accomplish it, I want to accomplish it. But it’s just overwhelming.”

Q: Were you OK with coach Jackson throwing you right into the mix?

A: “The biggest thing was I had to get the cadence down. I was learning the cadence. At first, coach was playing around with me, saying he was going to embarrass me and stuff like that. I had fun. I’m learning and I like the way coach makes his quarterbacks learn.”

Q: How important is it to be low key at first?

A: “This right here probably isn’t the best thing right here. But, just pretty much be quiet, talk when I’m supposed to talk and just learn. I’m behind the 8-ball and I’m just trying to learn and get as many things done as I can possible.”

Q: How disappointed are you at being suspended?

A: “It’s a disappointment because I’ve never sat out any games, even when I was hurt. I tried as much as I could and I played, even when I was hurt. Not being allowed to play in a game and miss games, I don’t really know. When you ask me next time, I probably could be able to tell you what it feels like. Right now, I’m just trying to play catch up and get the information as much as I can.”

Q: Was the judgment fair?

A: “It’s what the call was. Like I said before, I didn’t have to be in the supplemental draft, and I was allowed in. I’m just going to take the opportunity. I’m not going to bad mouth it or give my opinion on the good side, bad side. It goes both ways. I’m just glad they gave me the opportunity. That’s all I can really answer on that.”

Q: What do you say to critics who say you can’t play QB at this level?

A: “Ask coach Jackson.”

Q: He said you’re a QB?

A: “Yeah, ask him after a couple of practices.”

Q: Feel as if you have something to prove?

A: “No, I don’t have … Obviously, anytime you come in fresh, you have something to prove. I’m just trying to get better. I’m not here to answer any critics. I’m just trying to answer myself. I’m the biggest critic. I don’t really hear the other critics anyway. I’m the biggest critic and I’m just trying to prove it to myself. That’s all I’m trying to do.”

Q: What have your conversations with managing general partner Al Davis been like?

A: I haven’t met him yet face to face. I’ve chatted with him a couple times on the phone. He’s just an aggressive guy and he loves to win. That’s what I get out of him.

Q: Impressions of Jason Campbell, and what is the relationship like?

A: He’s great. That goes for all the quarterbacks, they’re great, helping me and just trying to catch me up as fast as possible. Jason Campbell he’s a great quarterback.

Q: Jason said guys teasing him for looking like your older brother, you feel that way?

A: He carries himself like a professional. I can’t speak any more highly of him. That’s all you can say. He just carries himself like that, acts like that. He’s a great person. I look forward to working with him.

Q: Are you determined to be QB in NFL?

A: Yes.

Q: Hue said he will play to strengths, what are yours?

A: That’s why we’re out here on the practice field trying to find it out. I don’t know. I don’t know what he’s envisioning.

Q: What were strengths at Ohio State?

A: A lot. It’s too hard to break down for you in the time I have. I’m sure you’ll see it whenever I get on the field and have a chance.

Q: Thoughts on how Raiders been playing on offense and how you can contribute?

A: I haven’t really thought much of that because they have a quarterback right now. Right now I’m behind the eight ball trying to catch up. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Q: Have you watched much of them of late?

A: Yeah. I watched the offense sitting at home on TV. But you can’t really break things down because you don’t know if someone ran the wrong route or the throw. You can’t really break things down like that. You have to be in the film room and know exactly what the plays are and see what really went wrong and not judge off of TV.

Q: How fearful were you that you would not be in supplemental draft?

A: I was fearful because I didn’t want to sit out a year. Things worked out for the best. I’m happy about that.

Q: What did you tell NCAA about all the cheating you did at OhioState?

A: I’d prefer not to answer questions about the NCAA.

Q: This feel like a fresh start personally and professionally?

A: Yes sir. I’m just happy to be here and ready to start fresh and ready to learn as much information as I can possible. I can just breathe and feel a lot better. I’m happy. I’m ready to get going.

Q: Last time you played something other than QB?

A: I think it was my freshman year. I always played running back because I had a lot of speed and always go on these sweeps and stuff right and left and things like that. I love playing the quarterback position and I can’t envision myself playing anything else. I truly enjoy it.

Q: What No. 6 instead of No. 2?

A: Coach won’t let me wear No. 2. Why, I don’t know? You tell me. He won’t let me wear No. 2. I’m just going off what coach tells me.

Q: When you ran so fast at your workout, did you hear talk that Raiders would take you?

A: Nah. I had no clue what was going on. I was getting ready for the draft process.

Q: Can you compare this challenge to anything else in your life?

A: In terms of what.

Q: Starting as fourth QB and trying to accomplish what you want?

A: I don’t understand.

Q: Uphill battle?

A: It’s a challenge anytime you want to go somewhere and you aren’t there quite yet. Even when you get there it’s still a challenge to stay where you’re at. I’m just looking forward to getting better. I’m No. 4 right now. That’s OK. I have a lot to learn. This is my first day.

Steve Corkran

• http://build-a-bully 909RaiderLifer

pure luck?

• Sullivan44

Kiffin’s recent comments about coaching for the Raiders:

“It is almost impossible. I don’t know why I didn’t listen, [because] so many people told me that. That’s why, if you ask [Steve Sarkisian], he didn’t go. He had a chance to go. You’re just so far behind other clubs. You’re waiting for [owner Al Davis] to wake up and come to work at 2 o’clock in the afternoon to make decisions that the rest of the league is making at 6 o’clock in the morning. You’re still running videotapes over to the hotel so he can watch practice at night….”

On Al’s press conference firing him, and the use of an overhead projector:

“….Yeah, it was. It was sad, really, to see somebody who’s accomplished so much in his career and been such a powerful figure in the NFL … to see that was actually pretty sad to watch. But you’re exactly right, an overhead projector — that describes the pace that you’re dealing with of the way an organization is being run.”

So, we have Rich Gannon (former MVP), Warren Sapp (future HOF), and now Lane Kiffin detailing the chaos and distractions that make it impossible to succeed with the Raiders. The witness list is growing.

• http://build-a-bully 909RaiderLifer

909RaiderLifer Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 11:49 am
    BigTed707 Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 8:27 pm
    MR is out getting a laminated print-out of today’s Kiffin Rant.

“““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    Probably already taped on the ceiling of his bedroom, next to the Gruden poster…..

• Sullivan44

RaiderDuck,

Kiffin may be lying. Certainly his accusations haven’t been proven. But it’s just one more witness as to the chaos that takes place in Oakland.

Remember, when Sapp made his claims, everyone chalked him up to be the class clown.

Then Gannon makes his claims…you can’t accuse him of being a clown. He’s one of the most serious people to ever put on a Raider uniform. He’s also a former MVP. Now we’re getting some solid credibility in regards to the Raiders’ environment.

Now, Kiffin speaks out.

The list is just growing, that’s all.

• dvrick

69.RaiderSuck Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 12:32 pm
    So besides Ohioraider, Sullivan44 and RAIDER, how many other sockpuppets does MR have?
    priesttj
    lefty alias mistic1
    Beecham
    charged up
    alex 7 is suspect
    ohio raider isn’t
    Mistic1
    Albert Bigelow Paine
    89025 Raider
    Raider in Paradise
    plunketthead
    Please feel free to add to the list.

thats just to name a few. probably another 30-50 names or so. there pretty easy to spot, there are a lot of similarities in dialogue and mannerisms.

JHill, if you think that mouth-diareah is funny beecham spews, you really need to check some values.

• dvrick

1 day til reality sets in 4-12!!!!!

• Sullivan44

I’ll tell you who else might have a laminated print of Kiffin’s rant. Our opposing coaches this year.

Our general manager, who’s heavily involved in day to day operations and game planning, doesn’t get going until 2pm? That tells them that the Raiders are disorganized, and that it likely carries over to the sidelines as well. Perhaps tweaking their gameplans to complicate and confuse the Raiders coaches, who always seem to be a step behind thanks to their owner starting his work days so late, might be something they’d consider. No huddles would be an effective way to take advantage of a laxed Raider team that takes forever to get going, too.

• dvrick

# r8dercain Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 7:56 am

Dvrick is to smart to be MR

• dvrick

# Plunketthead Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 7:38 am

Morning Cain

That list you used is not the updated one

Heres the latest list without any additions you may have made
    lefty
    RealGradkowskiRaider
    Mike the Moderator
    Raider Ray

• dvrick

# LA to TheBay Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

232, if you’re gonna do it, go all out.

—————-

Raiders Trade Michael Bush to Seattle for 6th Round draft pick
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 26, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT

In a move that has us scratching our heads (and because it’s the Raiders, we can’t be surprised), Oakland has sent 4th year running back Michael Bush to the Seahawks for a 6th roud draft pick in 2012 per Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune.

Bush has been a backup for Darren McFadden and Justin Fargas the last three seasons and is generally regarded amongst league sources as a starting caliber back and squandered his first few years in the Black Hole.

It appears Al Davis will rely heavily on rookie Taiwan Jones to shoulder the responsibility of primary backup to Run DMC.

With his forty yard dash time, THAT is no surprise.

• Sullivan44

So, now if Campbell goes down, we have no one.

McFadden goes down, we have no one.

This on the heels of letting the best CB in the league, and a pro bowl TE, walk.

The depth chart this year is worse than last year’s at almost every position.

• edward teach

Q: Have you watched much of them of late?

********************************************************

Please; those of you that routinely “watch film” and comment on “what you saw”… commit young Mr. Pryor’s remarks to memory.

Thanks in advance.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Sullivan44 Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 12:16 pm
    So, now if Campbell goes down, we have no one.

McFadden goes down, we have no one.

The depth chart this year is worse than last year’s at almost every position.

================================

What??? We have Edwards, Boller and (after Week 5) Pryor if Campbell goes down.

If DMAC goes down, we have both Bush and Taiwan; ignore Dvrick’s BS link.

Boss will more than adequately replace Zach.

Nnamdi wanted to leave. No way we could’ve stopped him.

• Just Fire Baby

Q: What did you tell NCAA about all the cheating you did at OhioState?

A: I’d prefer not to answer questions about the NCAA.

***********************

Damn, who asked that question???

That was both harsh and pretty funny.

• Just Fire Baby

************************

I would just add that it is why we are “semi-pro’s” and not pro’s.

DVR “cutups” are adequate for us, lol.

• Sullivan44

Jason Campbell is 29 years old, and in his second year with the Raiders. As far as anyone knows, the Raiders are committed to him as their starter. He had 2 back up QBs already. So why bring in Pyror? If the Raiders are interested in a quality backup, why not stick with Gradkowski, who’s proved himself? People have talked of Gradkowski wanting to start, and that creating a rift on the team. And Pyror WON’T want to start?

Pryor serves no purpose as a backup. We had Gradkowski, Edwards has proven himself to be somewhat reliable. We’ve never had need for a backup QB. Seems to me Pryor was acquired as Jason Campbell’s successor. That can’t sit well with the 29 year old Campbell.

• Just Fire Baby

Still think it is hilarious that he was given the hell no on wearing #2.

Jamarcus always setting the bar of awful-ness.

Has there ever been any other player who had their number “retired” for being so awful?

• Sullivan44

lol. Good one, DvRick. I stepped right in that. And for a 6th round pick. lol. Shame on me for not catching that.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Pryor won’t want to start this year. He knows he’s not ready.

He may want to start next year, or especially the year after. That’s the great thing about competition. If he’s better, he’ll start.

• Sullivan44

So, Duck, Pryor was drafted to succeed Campbell? Campbell is 29 year old, and in only his second year with us! Doesn’t look like the Raiders have much faith in Campbell. Which begs the question, why is he our starting QB?

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Sullivan44 Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

===========================================

Campbell reminds me a LOT of a similar guy from a generation ago named Chris Chandler, who played with the Colts, the Falcons and about a half-dozen other teams. Both are good enough to start in the National Football League, but have enough flaws in their game to prevent them from excelling.

In short, if you need a starting QB, Campbell’s your guy, but you’re always going to be looking for the long-term answer, and Pryor might be it.

As for Campbell, I foresee a similar career to Chandler’s: He’ll bounce around a bunch of different teams over the next decade, and be remembered as a respected, but not loved, signal-caller.

Steve DeBerg is another similar QB that comes to find, for the REALLY old amongst us.

• Just Fire Baby

Chris Chandler is a great analogy.

Put it together one year for a Super Bowl run, but was mostly an average to slightly below-average QB.

Chandler had a concussion issue as well, and let’s hope this trend doesn’t continue with Soup.

• edward teach

Jason Campbell, as well as the other two veteran QBs on the Raiders’ roster, is a free agent at the end of the year. I disagree that the Raiders don’t have a need for a backup QB; every team has to have at least two guys that they can trust to run the offense.

There’s no doubt that the Raiders drafted Pryor because they think he can be an NFL quarterback. It’s a pretty good situation, actually, because it allows the team to evaluate their options at or near the end of the year, without committing a ton of money on long-term deals for Campbell or anyone else. If Pryor develops faster than expected the team is not tied to anyone. If there’s any doubt that he wouldn’t be able to play next year, they can extend one of the three QBs they have or sign someone else to a short-term deal to play until they can determine for sure if Pryor is their man.

Campbell is the “unquestioned starter” this year, no doubt. Also without doubt is that he will have to earn another contract with his play this year. His future as a Raider is far from a sure thing, and the team is trying to cover for that by taking a player that they think can be a quality starter in the league down the road.

• http://www.wasRaider75.com wasbanned

Pryor just turned 22 in June. Oakland will take their time with this kid. He will need 3 years to be ready at QB, if ever.

Campbell has nothing to worry about for a few years.

• Sullivan44

So, was or was not Pryor acquired to succeed Campbell?

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Sullivan44 Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:02 pm
    So, was or was not Pryor acquired to succeed Campbell?

========================================

Sure, he was. Pryor has a much bigger upside than Campbell. Doesn’t mean Oakland doesn’t like Campbell; it just means they are trying to improve the team. QB’s with Pryor’s physical gifts are rare.

Drafting Pryor while Campbell is on the team is just like drafting DMAC while Fargas and Dominic Rhodes were still here.

Pryor compares very well with Cam Newton, and didn’t cost Oakland the first pick in the draft, either.

• Thec07

Ed Teach, I would keep JCAMPBELL and resign him. Pryor needs to sit this year and possibly next. I am hoping CAMPBELL has a good year so we can continue to develop TP. I would also strongly consider keeping Edwards or Boeller unless you could get a FA that is a better value. The 2 backups will have a year with this system under their belts….

• Sullivan44

So, we don’t even have a franchise QB, is that what you’re saying, Duck? You’re saying Campbell’s a stop gap? And it will likely be another 2-3 years before we have a franchise QB we can rest our hat on?

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Sullivan44 Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

=============================================

We have a possible franchise QB in the making: Terrelle Pryor.

You’re acting as if we can just go on the street and sign a franchise QB who’s ready to go right now. We can’t. They’re very rare, and those that are tend to get locked up by their teams to contracts of ungodly length and expense.

In other words, would I prefer we had Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers or Sam Bradford here? Sure. But they’re not available. And in several years, Pryor MIGHT be at their elite level.

• Sullivan44

Wow. I thought all along Jason Campbell was our QB of the future. He’s 29. 2nd year with the team. Thought he was it. This is disheartening. Never knew he was just a stop gap. I’m looking for reasons to support the team and buy tickets. You’re not helping me.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Plunketthead Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 7:48 am
    We need a checklist to get on the UnReal Moron Raider list

1) hates Al with a passion
    2) loves Lane K
    3) makes lame poop jokes
    4) loves Bruce, T.C., Sapphead, Gannon, etc
    5) Berates Al and the team 24/7/365
    ————
    Proof that I am not MR. I do not hate Al Davis. I do not love Lane Kiffin. I do not make lame poop jokes.And, I hate Bruce Gradkowski. Just because MR and myself are smarter than most of you does not mean we are the same person.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Sullivan44 Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

=========================================

I’m not a ticket agent for the Oakland Raiders. Rose-colored glasses are not in my job description.

Is Jason Campbell a good starting NFL quarterback? Yes. Is he a great one? No.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

RAIDERS OAKLAND RAIDERS
    Heading to the Raiders vs Saints game tomorrow? Be sure to bring your kids to the Raider Kids Rookie Zone between sections 234 and 235.
    43 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    ————–
    The Raiders should not suggest that people bring their children to Raider games. That is just irresponsible. I would call that child endangerment.

• priesttj

I still cannot believe we stole Pryor it just hasn’t sunk in yet. I wanted this kid soo bad I could taste it and we pulled the trigger and got him right where I thought we should’ve. To have a young gun like him being groomed by the coaches we have now is truely the best thing we could be doing.

A lot of people talk about the players in next years draft well they have to play out their senior years while he’s learning at the highest level getting usedd to life in the NFL he’ll have a year on any of them.

It’s just a win win situation because we were never going to able to get Luck or Jones anybody dreeaming those dreams is not realistic. WHat team needed a QB would think of passing on either and after them Pryor is right in the mix and we would’ve had to give a top 15 pick to get him in that draft. We saved a 1st rndr and a ton of money. $$4 million over 4 years as opposed to 30 over 5. Yeah we may ahve to extend him in his 3rd year but so what the savings will have taken place because once this kid hits the field fulltime. He’ll be a 6’6″ 245lbs. version of Mike Vick just a absolute beast.

• edward teach

My feeling is that the Raiders are keeping their options open. The answer as to how this shakes out will depend on how each guy plays and practices.

They were willing to risk a third-rounder on a kid that they think has the tools to be good, but will need at least a year (and maybe more) to be the starter. The ideal situation would be that Campbell plays well enough to stay with the team, and that he and Pryor compete for the job next year or the year after that.

If Pryor develops quickly, they have options. If he doesn’t, they can still resign Campbell, look for another veteran, or draft or trade for someone. They are not putting all of their eggs in one basket, however, like they did with JaMarcus.

Obviously, the hope is that Jackson and Al Saunders can harness Pryor’s talent and potential so that he can be the long-term QB for the Raiders. If it doesn’t work out, they “only” used a third-rounder on him and it didn’t cost very much.

• priesttj

Eli Manning is garbage, anybody who throws 24 int’s in his 5th season of starting he’s way way way overrated. Yeah he won a SB and so did Brad Johnson both had nightmare defenses it was n’t as if they carrried their teams.

I feel JC is hands down better than Eli and just as good as Matt Ryan. People uy into the Matty Ice crap that guy is living off that team around him. He’s played inthe sam esystem his entire career same as Flacco. JC is on par with those guys no doubt in my mind………………period

• purvisman

There’s something familiar about Sullivan44.

• purvisman

And ABP, too.Busy boy.

• priesttj

ET let me tell ya’ and I’m not trying to get you to accept my word but there is a reason I wanted this kid soo bad. You weren’t at his proday but he lit it up. Pryor is legit………….period

All the naysayers can say whatever they want I watched this kid enough to know he just needs time and coaching the same as anyone else. When he gets it just watch what I’m telling ya. He’s gonna scare the crap out of this league along with Cam Newton. Only Cam’s being forced to produce he’s in a pressure situation while TP can sit and learn which is exactly what he needs.

I’m not worried about JC keeping the seat warm for a couple of years I’ve seen enough of what JC can do this preseason to know he can flat out spin it. That backshoulder he threw to DHB at the 2 yardline in between the CB and FS was a stick throw, he has it. JC is a much better QB than anyone wants to admit but sooner or later they will have to.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

————
    Really? Aren’t you the guy who said Michael Vick was better than John Elway?

• Just Fire Baby

Matt Ryan took a 4-12 team to the playoffs, his rookie year and posted a higher QB rating than Soup ever has, in his ROOKIE YEAR.

Brad Johnson was a career game-manager, who got epicly hot in 2002.

Brad Johnson’s 2002 season WAS ONE OF THE GREATEST EVER FOR A QB IN NFL HISTORY.

22 TD’s, 6 int’s, 93 QB rating, Super Bowl victory.

Not many QB’s can say they did that in one season.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Just Fire Baby, I think Priest only likes African American QBs.

• priesttj

So if you know better? state your case…..I think Mike Vick is an unbelievable talent same as John Elway. If I had the choice I’d take Vick, you obviously would take Elway which is a great choice. if you think Vick stinks say so….or shut up!

• priesttj

i think you only like white ones….

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Sullivan,

Gotta give up on the Gradkowski thing. The guy is backing up Andy Dalton in Cincinnati. Clearly not a guy for the long-term…as he proved here.

Gives you a spark here and there but useless as a starter.

Because he truly believed he was a starter here, he would have been a distraction

• Just Fire Baby

Matt Ryan would never, EVER, under any circumstance, be benched for Todd Collins or Bruce Gradkowski.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:54 pm
    ——————
    Vick had an amazing year last season. But compared to Elway, he hasn’t done anything. Elway went to 5 Super Bowls and won two. He was an amazing athlete himself. He is an NFL legend. It’s like saying Lebron James is better than Michael Jordan.

• priesttj

That’s the problem with you guys in here I can talk glowingly about white QB’s for a hundred years the minute I praise a black QB it draws the ire of you guys. I can praise Kenny Stabler Joe Montana Dan Marino all day long. But I better not say anything positive about Don Mcnabb or there’s an issue.

All of y’all can get the hell outta my face. I’ve praise white QB’s and supported them all my life but now that there’s a few black QB’s I like all of a sudden I’m racist. I think you are the racist for questioning it.

• Master Beeecham

TJ, stop being a racist old fool like your cousin KrappyKell.

Surprised you aren’t in traction from doing your James Brown impression in celebration of the Pryor pick.

Now let’s all pretend you didn’t just call a 22 year old project the next – and better – Michael Vick.

Just get those soiled diapers changed stat and take your pain meds.

• priesttj

Well I said it…………..tough!