Terrelle Pryor transcript after first practice with Raiders

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor signed a four-year contract with the Raiders on Thursday night, made his way to Napa on Friday morning and practiced with his new teammates for the first time.

His first practice featured a handful of reps in full-team drills and included nine passes. Pryor completed only four of his passes and looked rather shaky.

Still, Pryor’s confidence remains intact, and he is certain that he has what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. That subject was one of many he touched upon during an eight-minute interview. Here is the complete transcript:

Q: How was Day 1?

A: “It was fun interacting with the other quarterbacks here. It was a good time. It was a lot of information in one day, but I’ll get used to it.”

Q: What was coach Jackson saying to you?

A: “He was just helping me out. He’s a great coach. I enjoy him a lot and I look forward to working with him.”

Q: How much work will you be able to get done before the suspension kicks in?

A: “I would say the rewind and the problem is that now I’m 17, 18 days, practices behind right now. I’m just playing catchup right now. Some of the stuff is getting there, and I’m starting to get familiar with some of the stuff. But it’s been one day. Give me a couple of days, and I should be able to fill it in and feel a lot more comfortable.”

Q: What do you hope to accomplish your rookie season?

A: “I don’t know. Just help out and help to win. Get in, get my feet wet a little bit and just really learn off of Jason Campbell and the other quarterbacks here because they’ve been around the block.”

Q: How much fun have you had the past two days?

A: “I wouldn’t say fun because I traveled yesterday for about, what, 17 hours. They had delays because of that Irene and bringing with it the weather. I don’t know if I call that exactly fun, but it’s fun that I was able to get an opportunity to come out here and now I’m out here. So, it’s fun that I’m back on the practice field.”

Q: Were you nervous the first day of school?

A: “Not nervous, but you’re getting so much information and you’re just trying to … my mind wants to accomplish it, I want to accomplish it. But it’s just overwhelming.”

Q: Were you OK with coach Jackson throwing you right into the mix?

A: “The biggest thing was I had to get the cadence down. I was learning the cadence. At first, coach was playing around with me, saying he was going to embarrass me and stuff like that. I had fun. I’m learning and I like the way coach makes his quarterbacks learn.”

Q: How important is it to be low key at first?

A: “This right here probably isn’t the best thing right here. But, just pretty much be quiet, talk when I’m supposed to talk and just learn. I’m behind the 8-ball and I’m just trying to learn and get as many things done as I can possible.”

Q: How disappointed are you at being suspended?

A: “It’s a disappointment because I’ve never sat out any games, even when I was hurt. I tried as much as I could and I played, even when I was hurt. Not being allowed to play in a game and miss games, I don’t really know. When you ask me next time, I probably could be able to tell you what it feels like. Right now, I’m just trying to play catch up and get the information as much as I can.”

Q: Was the judgment fair?

A: “It’s what the call was. Like I said before, I didn’t have to be in the supplemental draft, and I was allowed in. I’m just going to take the opportunity. I’m not going to bad mouth it or give my opinion on the good side, bad side. It goes both ways. I’m just glad they gave me the opportunity. That’s all I can really answer on that.”

Q: What do you say to critics who say you can’t play QB at this level?

A: “Ask coach Jackson.”

Q: He said you’re a QB?

A: “Yeah, ask him after a couple of practices.”

Q: Feel as if you have something to prove?

A: “No, I don’t have … Obviously, anytime you come in fresh, you have something to prove. I’m just trying to get better. I’m not here to answer any critics. I’m just trying to answer myself. I’m the biggest critic. I don’t really hear the other critics anyway. I’m the biggest critic and I’m just trying to prove it to myself. That’s all I’m trying to do.”

Q: What have your conversations with managing general partner Al Davis been like?

A: I haven’t met him yet face to face. I’ve chatted with him a couple times on the phone. He’s just an aggressive guy and he loves to win. That’s what I get out of him.

Q: Impressions of Jason Campbell, and what is the relationship like?

A: He’s great. That goes for all the quarterbacks, they’re great, helping me and just trying to catch me up as fast as possible. Jason Campbell he’s a great quarterback.

Q: Jason said guys teasing him for looking like your older brother, you feel that way?

A: He carries himself like a professional. I can’t speak any more highly of him. That’s all you can say. He just carries himself like that, acts like that. He’s a great person. I look forward to working with him.

Q: Are you determined to be QB in NFL?

A: Yes.

Q: Hue said he will play to strengths, what are yours?

A: That’s why we’re out here on the practice field trying to find it out. I don’t know. I don’t know what he’s envisioning.

Q: What were strengths at Ohio State?

A: A lot. It’s too hard to break down for you in the time I have. I’m sure you’ll see it whenever I get on the field and have a chance.

Q: Thoughts on how Raiders been playing on offense and how you can contribute?

A: I haven’t really thought much of that because they have a quarterback right now. Right now I’m behind the eight ball trying to catch up. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Q: Have you watched much of them of late?

A: Yeah. I watched the offense sitting at home on TV. But you can’t really break things down because you don’t know if someone ran the wrong route or the throw. You can’t really break things down like that. You have to be in the film room and know exactly what the plays are and see what really went wrong and not judge off of TV.

Q: How fearful were you that you would not be in supplemental draft?

A: I was fearful because I didn’t want to sit out a year. Things worked out for the best. I’m happy about that.

Q: What did you tell NCAA about all the cheating you did at OhioState?

A: I’d prefer not to answer questions about the NCAA.

Q: This feel like a fresh start personally and professionally?

A: Yes sir. I’m just happy to be here and ready to start fresh and ready to learn as much information as I can possible. I can just breathe and feel a lot better. I’m happy. I’m ready to get going.

Q: Last time you played something other than QB?

A: I think it was my freshman year. I always played running back because I had a lot of speed and always go on these sweeps and stuff right and left and things like that. I love playing the quarterback position and I can’t envision myself playing anything else. I truly enjoy it.

Q: What No. 6 instead of No. 2?

A: Coach won’t let me wear No. 2. Why, I don’t know? You tell me. He won’t let me wear No. 2. I’m just going off what coach tells me.

Q: When you ran so fast at your workout, did you hear talk that Raiders would take you?

A: Nah. I had no clue what was going on. I was getting ready for the draft process.

Q: Can you compare this challenge to anything else in your life?

A: In terms of what.

Q: Starting as fourth QB and trying to accomplish what you want?

A: I don’t understand.

Q: Uphill battle?

A: It’s a challenge anytime you want to go somewhere and you aren’t there quite yet. Even when you get there it’s still a challenge to stay where you’re at. I’m just looking forward to getting better. I’m No. 4 right now. That’s OK. I have a lot to learn. This is my first day.

Steve Corkran

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

And to say Jason Campbell is better than Manning and Ryan is ridiculous. I think Campbell will have a good year. But it doesn’t seem like he is a franchise QB. BTW, if you think Campbell is that good, then why do we need Pryor?

• Just Fire Baby

Mike Vick is the Mr. October of QB’s.

Every year, he falters towards the end, and limps around a playoff lose. He has had some TERRIBLE, Gradkowski-esque playoff games, and has more turnovers than TD’s career in the playoffs.

AFter the Redskins masacre last year, he had as many TD’s as turnovers the rest of the year, and went 4-4.

He is the most exciting player in the NFL at times, but on the whole, he gets outplayed at the END OF EVERY SEASON by another QB.

• Tricky70390

SnB Offense Defense Specialteams Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:55 pm
    Sullivan,

Gotta give up on the Gradkowski thing. The guy is backing up Andy Dalton in Cincinnati. Clearly not a guy for the long-term…as he proved here.

Gives you a spark here and there but useless as a starter.

Because he truly believed he was a starter here, he would have been a distraction
    =========================
    Thank you. I wish people would give up on the guy as a long term option. He was pretty much the main reason other than Walter McFadden that we lost that game against Miami because his arm couldn’t hit wide-open receivers 20 yards down-field.

He became to much of a folk hero after the Pittsburgh game in 09 and didn’t really build off that other than that time he finished off the game against St. Louis last year.

• priesttj

Yea here comes all the bigots I’m not supposed to recognise talent if it’s black…………go to hell the whole lot of ya’

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I don’t know Priest. You saying Vick is better than Elway makes me question your reasoning.

• priesttj

I can praise White QB’s allday and NOTHING is said the minute I say one thing about a black QB I only like black QB’s……………Y’all must be crazy!!!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Priesttj,

A lot of excitement over a 3rd round pick.

Let’s just see it play out.

Pryor has a lot of work to do. If he was a sure fire elite QB, he would have gone earlier.

He is physically gifted…but that only means something if he is able to:

1. Master the playbook like the elites
    2. Perfect the fundamentals of throwing the ball and footwork
    3. Know how to read and react properly to defenses
    4. Be a leader in every way (1st in last out…film junkie)

If he does those things….then the athleticism makes him a ridiculously dangerous weapon…like Vick last year.

But without those 4 things I mentioned, his athleticism means nothing

• Master Beeecham

TJ, calm down you senile old fool.

Man, when you old knuckleheads get all worked up, I can almost hear your diapers slipping in half.

Take a sitz bath, get in bed and fire up a good episode of Matlock on the picture box. It’s bedtime.

• Just Fire Baby

John Elway was a better athlete than Mike Vick as well.

Elway could have been a pro baseball player, and probably a 1st round pick if he dedicated himself.

He is also a scratch golfer at 50 years old.

Mike Vick could run faster than Elway, and had more wiggle of course.

But if they were both in their prime playing baseball, football, basketball, golf or probably just about any other sport, Elway would kick Vick’s azz, and it pains me to say anything nice about Elway because I hate that bastard.

• priesttj

Why because he’s BLACK??????????LOL

• Just Fire Baby

Priest,

Why do you keep saying “ya’ll” ?

It’s one troll in here accusing you of it.

Don’t listen to him and focus on the football talk, lol.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:07 pm
    —————–
    Just admit it, your biased towards black QBs. It’s not big deal.

• No Mas Diamante

Sullivan – we took Pryor for the same reason that N.E. took mallet. Are they considering Brady to be only stop gap? Of course not. But if brady get another knee injury then thaay have their future qb already on the bench. Also, pryor can be developed and traded for a nice player or a high pick. He has value. Surprised you don’t get that.

• TerrapinRaider

Matt Ryan is overrated

Joe Flacco is overrated

Cam Newton will be a bust

Terrelle Pryor has an oppty to be better than Cam

Sam Bradford is the f’kn man

• TerrapinRaider

Oh and I think Eli is a pretty good QB

• TerrapinRaider

Vick? This season will tell if last year was a fluke.

• Just Fire Baby

Cam has a much better ball than Pryor at this stage, and I think that is the big difference between them.

Pryor seems to muscle it a little, especially the deep balls, and it flutters a little sometimes.

Nothing Colonel Saunders can’t fix.

• No Mas Diamante

We took Pruor for the same reason N.E. took Brady when the already had Bledsoe.

• Just Fire Baby

Last year wasn’t a fluke for Vick that’s what he does every year.

Great to start, has one or two epic moments when he is unstoppable, than starts to falter as the season wears on, gets banged up and has a disappointing playoff lose.

Nothing fluky about it and I expect the same this season.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Its also not very fair to compare other QBs around the league to what has been happening in Oakland.

Young QBs need stability with coaches, good coaches and good talent around them.

The Raiders have not been able to do those three for quite a while now.

Jason Campbell had Jacoby Ford for half the year…and an offensive line that can’t pass block very well.

Ryan and others have developed because coaches and organization had a plan for the kid…Andy Reid has been coaching for a decade with a well practiced and well researched methodology.

The Raiders have had Callahan, Turner, Shell/Bed&Breakfast guy, Kiffin, Cable….and a slew of offensive coordinators and terrible talent.

Only now is the 1st year in a while where the same O.C is with the team.

Only now does it appear the receivers are starting to have some talent

The O-Line still has issues.

So be patient and see what happens….stop comparing QBs here with other QBs

• TerrapinRaider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

********************

You must be outta yo damn mind

• priesttj

That’s what’s wrong with this society nothing black is supposed to be appreciated the same as a white counterpart. This is the most racu=ist society EVER N EXISTENCE. The minute you talk a QB who happens to be black all the good white folks get disturbed.

As if what the hell does he mean praising this black guy over that white guy. COLOR has NOTHING to do with it the only time it become an issue is IF HE’S BLACK………………it gets VERY OLD and tiring I can like and appreciate whoever the heel mI want to even if they’re pocadot I’m MY OPINION MY CHOICE………….not yours!

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Sounds like your anti white tj. Your probably into blk theology & worship the blk panthers.

T or F ?
    ______

Priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Eli Manning is garbage

• Master Beeecham

Oh great, TJ is in “deranged ranting old pastor” mode.

Probably got into a new suit and fresh pair of Pampers out of the closet for that post.

Old goat, don’t you have anything better to do than defend your racist self on a football blog? Just a few weeks ago you James Brown-ing in celebration.

No you’re on the verge of a total and complete diaper overload.

Lemonade and celery, old fool. And lots of it.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I think Priest is just a bit out there. No harm in being crazy.

• Just Fire Baby

**********************************

Tell that to the Jimmer!!!

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

tj,
    ABP is right, there’s nothing wrong with being a deranged lunatic on a blog, as long as you stay in your house and don’t go outside and hurt anybody.

Carry on tj, oh and your record is flawless in here!

lol

• TheGeneral

Vick wont do so good with eagles poor oline

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Priesttj,

The only thing people value is production.

If Pryor produces he will get big money, fame, and strong fan support.

If he doesn’t, he’ll go the way of other NFL players that couldn’t produce.

As a note, you are putting WAAAAAAYYYY too much emotional investment into Pryor.

He’s got a lot of questions he has to answer and is not a sure fire thing.

He also did not come into this league with the pedigree of Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan or even JaDavis.

That means there are serious questions that exist that prevented him from being a 1st or 2nd round pick.

So let’s just let Pryor work on those questions and see how it pans out. He is another “potential” and “development” pick for the Raiders. He won’t be able to help this team for a couple of years

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

tj, wasnt I the first one in here to start calling you a fraud ?

• dvrick

# RaiderDuck Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Sullivan44 Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 12:16 pm
    So, now if Campbell goes down, we have no one.

McFadden goes down, we have no one.

This on the heels of letting the best CB in the league, and a pro bowl TE, walk.

The depth chart this year is worse than last year’s at almost every position.

================================

What??? We have Edwards, Boller and (after Week 5) Pryor if Campbell goes down.

If DMAC goes down, we have both Bush and Taiwan; ignore Dvrick’s BS link.

Boss will more than adequately replace Zach.

Nnamdi wanted to leave. No way we could’ve stopped him.
    *********Boy you live in fantasyland!!You are in for a real reality check- countdown to the beat down by the Saints!!!

• dvrick

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Still think it is hilarious that he was given the hell no on wearing #2.

Jamarcus always setting the bar of awful-ness.

Has there ever been any other player who had their number “retired” for being so awful?
    Pryor will be the second!

• dvrick

# priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

i only like black ones….
    ************you are the real MR******

• dvrick

# Master Beeecham Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:02 pm

TJ, stop being a racist old fool like your cousin KrappyKell.

Surprised you aren’t in traction from doing your James Brown impression in celebration of the Pryor pick.

Now let’s all pretend you didn’t just call a 22 year old project the next – and better – Michael Vick.

Just get those soiled diapers changed stat and take your pain meds.
    *******************************—————————————————————————————–HE IS REALLY MR——

• Just Fire Baby

Supposedly Pryor didn’t get along with teammates to well at OSU.

Same thing as Chris Simms at Texas. Showed up entitled, with an I’m better than you attitude, and rubbed people the wrong way.

Hue should be able to humble him, by relegating him to #4 QB for awhile, than make him the #3 who doesn’t even suit up on game days.

May be the best thing to happen to Terrell Pryor.

• dvrick

# LA to TheBay Says:
    August 26th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

—————-

Raiders Trade Michael Bush to Seattle for 6th Round draft pick
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 26, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT

In a move that has us scratching our heads (and because it’s the Raiders, we can’t be surprised), Oakland has sent 4th year running back Michael Bush to the Seahawks for a 6th roud draft pick in 2012 per Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune.

Bush has been a backup for Darren McFadden and Justin Fargas the last three seasons and is generally regarded amongst league sources as a starting caliber back and squandered his first few years in the Black Hole.

It appears Al Davis will rely heavily on rookie Taiwan Jones to shoulder the responsibility of primary backup to Run DMC.

With his forty yard dash time, THAT is no surprise.

• dvrick

# TheGeneral Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Vick will do sooooo good with eagles great oline.Think I’ll become an Eagles fan!!!!

• Dakota

43.priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:54 pm
    So if you know better? state your case…..I think Mike Vick is an unbelievable talent same as John Elway. If I had the choice I’d take Vick, you obviously would take Elway which is a great choice. if you think Vick stinks say so….or shut up!

+++++++++++++

Vick over Elway? Jezuz Priest is drunk again.

• dvrick

# RaiderDuck Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

================================

What??? We have Boller and (after Week 5) Pryor if Campbell goes down.

If DMAC goes down, we don’t have Bush only Taiwan.

Boss will not replace Zach.

Nnamdi wanted to leave. No way we could’ve stopped him.

• dvrick

# Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

*********That’s because HE’S MR!!!!!

• priesttj

SnB Nobody is a sure fire thing what the hell are you talking about. Everybody has to produce man not only him. These white guys in here only want there kind praised that’s what bothers me if I say anything positive about a black QB they get upset. As if how dare you. I don’t look at color I look at talent and easily this kids is as talented as a lot of QB who were drafted in th e1st rnd.

they want to act like I’m crazy but thet truth is they’re a bunc of bigots………………period

• Master Beeecham

I’m thinking this new blog tool Dvrick may be one of the most retarded dweebs we’ve seen yet.

Granted, he’s probably 11, but even then our school systems have failed us.

I kinda like how he’s always trying to impress me and get my attention, but it’s just hard to acknowledge such a raging moron.

• Boogie Louie from Tuskanookey

Beechum = Dvprick

• Just Fire Baby

I think Jake Locker was the most athletic QB in the draft, followed by Colin Kapernick.

Locker could be a millionaire athlete in two sports. Who else in the draft can say that?

• dvrick

# priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I still cannot believe we stuck with Pryor it just hasn’t sunk in yet. I wanted to pass on this kid soo bad I could taste it and we pulled the trigger and got him big mistake!!!!. To have an idiot like him being groomed by the coaches we have now is truely the worst thing we could be doing.

A lot of people talk about the players in next years draft well they have to play out their senior years while he’s screwing us up.

It’s just a no win situation because we were going to able to get Luck or Jones anybody not dreeaming those dreams is not realistic.

• Boogie Louie from Tuskanookey

92.Master Beeecham Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Granted, he’s probably 11, but even then our school systems have failed us.

—————

What the fck you talking about, your him.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Dvrick, if Beeecham thinks you are a retard, you should just kill yourself.

• TerrapinRaider

You all know I’m not a Cam Newton fan. That much is clear. But one interesting thing happened at work when having a discussion of Teabow.

I said Teabow is garbage and they didn’t want to believe me. I followed up and said Newton is going to be a bust too. And they had no problem believing that.

WAIT. PAUSE! In my mind they are the same type of player; except I would consider Newton to be better than Teabow. Newton certainly has a better arm than Teabow with the same if not better ability to run. And he won a lot of games for a big program just the same.

It was kind of odd to me how they can be so quick to accept Newton will be a bust and defensive/unbelieving when it came to Teabow who was being regulated to 3rd string.

There is a bias out there. It could have just been their objective analysis; but I doubt it. They don’t follow the NFL like I do.

• priesttj

Dakota Elway is GOD huh? to you at least..

Look Elway was a sensational top teir QB, you Mutt and Jeffs in here think I’m comparing CAREERS and I;m not and comparing talents. There is a big difference there career may never parallel that doesn’t mena Vick isn’t more talented than Elway. Vick may never win a SB it doesn’t mean he’s not more talented. But i guess even an explanation will go over most the heads of you hicks in here. SB’s won or played does not determine talent of one player. It never has.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Priesttj Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 2:42 pm

————-
    I’m not white, I’m Vietnamese.