Raiders-Saints follow-up

Not a lot of new information to be had during a conference call with coach Hue Jackson with Bay Area media, but here some updates and impressions:

– Jackson won’t yet name a backup quarterback, saying he’s pretty sure he knows which way he’s going but isn’t yet willing to share the information.

Makes sense, really. That way, if the backup gets hurt against Seattle, he isn’t publicly going with No. 3 to be next man up behind Jason Campbell on Sept. 12.

Kyle Boller was much more decisive than Trent Edwards in going 5-for-7 for 69 yards and is the odds-on choice to be the backup.

– Jackson wouldn’t name a starting offensive line (sensing a trend here?), but did say of the unit featuring Jared Veldheer at left tackle, Stefen Wisniewski at left guard, Samson Satele at center, Cooper Carlisle at right guard and Khalif Barnes at right tackle, “I’m not going to tell you I’m set, but I’m definitely moving in that direction.”

The Raiders offensive line play has been a pleasant surprise.

– If there were any injuries coming out of the New Orleans game, Jackson kept them well-hidden. Cornerback Jeremy Ware limped off after a kickoff return, with Jackson saying it was a sprain they would work through this week.

– It will be interesting to see how much leeway injured draft picks get as cutdown day approaches. When sitting down with the head coach to formulate the roster, Al Davis hates to cut fairly recent draft picks.

At this point, it’s hard not to make a case for undrafted cornerback Sterling Moore over Walter McFadden, Derek Hagan over Chaz Schilens and Jerome Boyd over Mike Mitchell. In Mitchell’s case, it hardly seems fair _ he hasn’t been healthy enough to practice. But when cutdown day comes, the Raiders have to make the call whether to put a rusty player on the roster who may not be ready or put him on injured reserve _ ending his season.

– Amusing to see so many people willing to sell DeMarcus Van Dyke down the river because he couldn’t cover Larry Fitzgerald and got roasted by Drew Brees. Is it possible the standards may be a tad high for a third-round draft pick?

Fact is, on four or five of those plays against Arizona and New Orleans he was very close to being able to make a play. If he gets a hand on a couple of them, things look much different. If the Raiders are smart, they’ll put him out there for three quarters against Seattle and just let him play.

– Jackson duly noted the offensive positives _ four scoring drives in the first six posessions, touchdown drives of 91 and 80 yards. A 20-17 lead in the third quarter.

– As for the leaky pass defense, Jackson believes the issues are easily fixable through hard work. There aren’t a lot of trades to be had at this point, so he has little choice but to believe that.

Keep in mind it was Brees doing the damage, and he always torches the Raiders. Killed them in the preseason in 2009. Killed them in the regular-season in 2008. Killed them with some near-perfect games while quarterback of the San Diego Chargers. Business as usual.

– Since I’m going to assume Jacoby Ford will sit out the preseason finale along with Darren McFadden, it remains to be seen what Jackson will do as far as a punt return specialist. Looking at the roster, you’ve got to think Denarius Moore has a lead because it’s going to be difficult to keep Nick Miller around assuming that Darrius Heyward-Bey, Louis Murphy, Derek Hagan and Chaz Schilens all make the 53-man roster.

– As for DHB, his problems adjusting to a ball in flight were on display early as he twisted, turned and ultimately couldn’t find a Campbell deep throw in the first quarter. Later, on the kind of slant pass he has caught routinely in camp, came a drop. To be fair, the New Orleans defender appeared to hit him before the ball came out, but it still could have been caught.

The Raiders practice Tuesday and Wednesday at 11:15 a.m. in Alameda (closed to the media) before leaving for Seattle Thursday.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• HayesDaze37

It’s a great day to be a Raiders fan. Isn’t it?!

Derek Hagan?? Hagan IS the real deal…the guy can play. So, he’s just now showing what he’s got…that’s easily explained by looking at where he came from. The Giants have been loaded with WR’s the past several years. The kid wasn’t gonna play over Plax a few years back, or Hakeem Nicks or Steve Smith. It’s hard to make an impact, even in practice, playing with the 2nd & 3rd-string teams.

Hagan’s a baller, and we should ALL be excited with his showing so far this year. There’s no reason he can’t carry-over his camp success to the regular season. He can catch, he can run, and he can avoid defenders. What a concept.

DVD?? It amazes me how many people are skewering the kid for getting burned a handful of times during the preseason. How’s the guy going to learn anything, if he’s not on the field against good competition? Some of his “burns” were actually on plays where he should’ve gotten help over the top, but help never arrived.

One-on-one vs Fitzgerald?? There aren’t too many great CB’s who will win that matchup every time. The most important part of covering a receiver is to COVER the receiver. When in press coverage, or one-on-one man coverage, DVD is right where he needs to be. Stride-for-stride, right next to his man, and sometimes in the guys jersey, he’s so close. So, he’s not finding the ball quick enough yet (at all?)…but he will, as soon as the play slows down just a hair more.

DVD is THE REAL DEAL…exhibiting coverage skills few rookies ever will. I’ve seen a ton of great (and bad) CB’s in my day…and DVD shows talent professional scouts drool over. DVD is showing the same potential as one Charles Woodson showed at his young age…phenomenal coverage skills, and an eagerness to get right up in his receiver’s grill. Getting burned comes with the territory, whether he’s new or old.

As soon as he starts making plays on the ball, a lot of his detractors will jump on his bandwagon. I’m glad I’m already on it…and I’m glad he’s a Raider. DVD will be better than good in short order. As rookies go…he’s showing as much potential, or more, than just about any other CB taken in this year’s draft.

• No Mas Diamante

Our young cb’s are only playing “Run”. They haven’t learned the “bump” part yet. Seriously, look at the game. DVD never even touches colston until the ball is in his hands 20 yards downfield. You gotta learn to jam son.

• Dakota

Even when we were “Winning” during the Gruden era, the only big names that wanted to come to Oakland were guys on their last legs.

Oh god Daze37 is here…..the coolness of the blog jsut dropped to topsoil levels

• bcz24

B@uce, havent you realized yet that Alex is just another of MRs trolling identities that would complain if you handed him a million dollars that the bills werent all facing the same way.

553.Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:25 am

*********************

Rodney Harrison wanted to come here right before he went to NE….but we signed rice and brown to those lame contracts

555.bcz24 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:25 am

****************************

LOL……Alexander is from LA….but he does make a few lame excuses like MR…maybe

• Dakota

Rodney Harrison is all you got?

lol

• J Hill

Like you guys are ever going to get B to say that any place is better than his home town.

I have homies that still say to this day that Compton is a much better city Beverly Hills.

Some people prefer Burger King, other folkf prefer a good steakhouse.

It is what it is.

• Dakota

brien

I doubt it tho

• Plunketthead

My QB/GM rant was in response to all the Al is a lousy GM remarks.

I was trying to say that the next GM will probaly be worse then Al and I would rather have a great QB then a great GM

• alex7

Only silly raider fans get excited about rookie dbs “almost” making plays.
    You know what hagan walking off the street and becoming our best wr tells you? You over rate the team.

• Dakota

Well, I see brien is the only one taking the move to LA bait. lol

• J Hill

——————————————————-

Agreed.

WR position is looking real good with Moore, Hagan, and Ford. If Chaz can stay healthy, what a 4th option at WR.

558.Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:28 am
    Rodney Harrison is all you got?

lol

***************************

That’s a damn great example…..maybe you didnt watch him play for the Pats…I know times can be hard in South Dakota

• Silverandblack666

Plunketthead

I have never had a problem with you I think you have good insight and I don’t mind reading your posts.

I don’t know what you mean by saying you would have voted NO.

• Dakota

566.Method To My Madness Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:30 am
    558.Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:28 am
    Rodney Harrison is all you got?

lol

***************************

++++++++++++++++++

True. But the rumor is we might be getting T.V. in these parts in about 2 years! And maybe running water too!

• Buckeyeraider

I thought Sunday nights performance was actually very encouraging. The final score got out of hand, and the play of the 3rd and 4th stringers in the second half was embarrasing. Blown coverages and horrible attempts at tackling everywhere. Made me sick. The way that game ended, obviously left a sour taste in everybody’s mouth.

But, let’s not forget, through three quarters, the starters matched up well with one of the SB favorites out of the NFC. A lot of us seem to forget Oakland actually had the lead in 3rd qtr.

A lot of positves, including Hagan, T Jones and maybe the most important..a much more composed looking J Campbell. I thought JC looked good.

Yeah, Brees had his way with our “archaic, outdated, Al Davis forced scheme”. SMH. But I ask…who really shuts that guy down? He’s one of the best, if not THE most accurate QB’s in the league right now, and he went after a rookie. Schooled him, especially on that 1st drive.

Did you guys notice NBC’s promo for their season opener? NO vs GB on Thurs night? They showed the stats of the last two SB winning QB’s. Brees was 32-37 for 288 yds Vs. Indy and their Tampa 2 in the SB. Not too shabby.

So, I wondered who is the best defense in the NFL right now? Probably Blitzburgh..right? How did they fare most recently vs Brees. So, I looked it up.

Oct 31 2010, in Pittsburgh..Brees went 34-44 for 305 yards and two Tds in a 20-10 Saints win.

I think our defense is going to be OK. Everybody can take a step back from the ledge. They are going to miss Nnamdi, but getting CJ37 back will help. Not having Seymour and Big John in there really exposed lacke of depth at DT, though. Getting them back healthy is critical.

This offense looks to be very explosive. The D might actually get a chance to play with a lead from time to time. I still think they are going to surprise.

Are there causes for concern, and things that need to be worked on..like timing of blitzes, etc. Sure. But that’s what preseason is for. Can’t wait for that opening Monday Night.

• J Hill

——————————————————

I agree.

Learning how to simply turn you head around is not going to be an issue. Like you said, the guy is right there stride for stride with his man all the time.

Needs about 10 lbs though, or simply to get stronger at the LOS. Those quick slants he was getting beat on were simply him getting out physical’d for position.

Was $ in cover 2 as well.

• alex7

Ehh I was quite happy with this team when a real coach and qb were allowed to win “their” way.

Then our owner decided losing his way was more fun than wining while others got the credit.

Pride.

• Thec07

what up NATION?

• No Mas Diamante

As a cb in man to man coverage, you have to be able to slow the wr at the los. I too think that DVD will be good, but he needs some coaching. He’s faced one the best wr in league and then one of the best qb’s in the league.
    Let’s hope he gets up to speed before we face Rivers, Sanchez, Brady or even Orton, for that matter.

559.J Hill Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:28 am

Some people prefer Burger King, other folkf prefer a good steakhouse.

It is what it is.

************************

Its not about whats better city to city but both Bay Area and LA has its plus and minus factors….but as far as the team and where they belong its not up for debate and Dakota is so lame for this. Saying some free agents dont come here cuz they dont like the city of OAKLAND is a blatant lie.

70 pct of the NFL is black and these guys are from rural america….Bay Area is heaven for those guys…..LA would be heaven too no doubt but to dismiss the Bay Area like that cuz its not as huge as LA is stupid as hell

568.Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:33 am
    566.Method To My Madness Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:30 am
    558.Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:28 am
    Rodney Harrison is all you got?

lol

***************************

++++++++++++++++++

**************************

LMAO this a–hole is too funny…cant lie

563.alex7 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:30 am
    Only silly raider fans get excited about rookie dbs “almost” making plays.

***************************

Hagan off the street? Boy you need to go back to the lab buddy and review that again lol

• WetLunGz

Did nebody else get screwed by comcast last night? I had the game set to record at 11pm on nfl net, well when I switch to it, it was the 2nd half of the arizona sd game. So in hopes that raider game wud b on next I recorded the 2 shows after the game. For sumreason comcast didn’t record it so now I got approx the 1st halkf of the game only :-( I checked nfl net sched and cudnt find another time the game was being televised. Does nebody know where I can find the whole game online? Or if there will b another replay on nfl net? I wanna see TW Jones

• Thec07

Yeah we picked up HAGAN from FA however, who says he is our best WR?

In my opinion the WR rank as follows;

1A. JFORD
    1B. DMOORE
    2. HAGAN
    3. *Chaz
    4. LMURPHY
    5. DHB

Based on the above we added depth with HAGAN. This speaks voulumes to the direction of the team as Wr has now become a stregth instead of weakness…

• Dakota

Wiz playing LG. Just seems right doesn’t it?

I don’t like Satele very much, but the combo of him at C with Wiz at LG is much better than Wiz at C and Loper at LG.

Still hoping Barksdale and Campbell can take put Carlisle and Queef Barnes at some point this season.

• Method To My Madness

Hagan is closest thing we have to a possession WR…..how come only a few can see that?

• J Hill

——————————————————

California is heaven for those guys. Bay Area being in California, yes I can see where you’re going with that.

But if you are truly being objective about it, there is no way you can say that the Raiders would not be better off in a BRAND NEW STADIUM.

I’ll be the first one to say that the Raiders belong in Oakland. If they get that Oakland Live thing off the ground, great,

But if they don’t, for the long term good of the franchise, move them to the BRAND NEW STADIUM for goodness sakes.

And to show you it’s not just about LA, no way in HELL should they move back to the LA Coliseum. That would be a disaster.

• Thec07

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:41 am
    +++++

Hagan can be that guy no doubt, DMOORE can be that guy also…We have depth now, great problem to have…

Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:40 am
    Wiz playing LG. Just seems right doesn’t it?

*********************************

Agreed

• J Hill

I like the Raiders in Oakland.

I get to see every game since there are no blackout restrictions.

• WetLunGz

I wud say its more like
    Hagan
    Moore
    Ford(too small to b a 1, maybe he cud b the 2.)
    Dhb
    Murphy(only cuz he’s hurt)
    I’m over chaz too oft injured…

581.J Hill Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:42 am

——————————————————

***************************

Raiders only better off with a new stadium up here. This is their home plain and simple. LA gonna get a team no doubt too much money down there but LA officials will never deal with Al Davis again

584.J Hill Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:43 am
    I like the Raiders in Oakland.

I get to see every game since there are no blackout restrictions.

************************

Me too

• Thec07

LA Chargers…The folks who are putting up the design and dough want the chargers…the media spin in so cal is chargers, saw the coming 2 years ago…

• Method To My Madness

I like Hagan and Moore to start in Denver with Ford as the slot guy….

• No Mas Diamante

Not yet ready to make DMOORE a #1. Let him get a few real games under his belt against starters, not scrubs.I just hope Al keeps his hands off the line up and lets Huge Actionrun the team.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

What problem? Having 2 WR is NOT a problem. The only problem is DHB taking snaps away from those guys.
    10 on 11 sux. Ask JC about it!
    ______

# Thec07 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:42 am

588.Thec07 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:46 am

*********************

That will go down

• WetLunGz

I hope they put aq good team on the field. This black bs needs to end, bring this franchise back to the powerhouse it once was..

591.MistaBrown Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:48 am
    10 on 11 sux. Ask JC about it!
    ______

# Thec07 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:42 am

*****************************

Look at Hagan’s numbers the last two years then look at DHB’s…..see something there?

• No Mas Diamante

They will probobly be called the Southern California Chargers. Hell it’s all like one long city from L.A. to S.D anyway.

• Thec07

My WR ranking is not based on 1, 2 r 3 Wr or by some Definirtions X, y, and Z…My Ranking is based on who I beleive is the best at playing the position…

1A. JFORD
    1B. DMOORE
    2. HAGAN
    3. *Chaz
    4. LMURPHY
    5. DHB

• ddwight

Never thought that Uncle Al should have broght Breshnahan back, I actually liked John Marshall better, because we appeared to be attacking a little more, now it looks as if they playing more of a reaction style and still not making the plays. Not sure if it was because we were going vanilla or what it was,

• No Mas Diamante

Put dhb in the slot and see how he does.

• J Hill

Chargers moving to LA is going to be better for them, just like it would be better for the Raiders.

Any Raider fan rooting for the Chargers to move to LA is not thinking about the big picture.

As a Raider fan, if not the Raiders, I’d prefer to see the Vikings relocate here.

• emil4423

I think we should be good starting cb goes as follows
    Routt johnson lito S.moore maybe throw huff at cb out there dvd chekwa