Raiders-Saints follow-up

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, August 29th, 2011 at 6:41 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Not a lot of new information to be had during a conference call with coach Hue Jackson with Bay Area media, but here some updates and impressions:

– Jackson won’t yet name a backup quarterback, saying he’s pretty sure he knows which way he’s going but isn’t yet willing to share the information.

Makes sense, really. That way, if the backup gets hurt against Seattle, he isn’t publicly going with No. 3 to be next man up behind Jason Campbell on Sept. 12.

Kyle Boller was much more decisive than Trent Edwards in going 5-for-7 for 69 yards and is the odds-on choice to be the backup.

– Jackson wouldn’t name a starting offensive line (sensing a trend here?), but did say of the unit featuring Jared Veldheer at left tackle, Stefen Wisniewski at left guard, Samson Satele at center, Cooper Carlisle at right guard and Khalif Barnes at right tackle, “I’m not going to tell you I’m set, but I’m definitely moving in that direction.”

The Raiders offensive line play has been a pleasant surprise.

– If there were any injuries coming out of the New Orleans game, Jackson kept them well-hidden. Cornerback Jeremy Ware limped off after a kickoff return, with Jackson saying it was a sprain they would work through this week.

– It will be interesting to see how much leeway injured draft picks get as cutdown day approaches. When sitting down with the head coach to formulate the roster, Al Davis hates to cut fairly recent draft picks.

At this point, it’s hard not to make a case for undrafted cornerback Sterling Moore over Walter McFadden, Derek Hagan over Chaz Schilens and Jerome Boyd over Mike Mitchell. In Mitchell’s case, it hardly seems fair _ he hasn’t been healthy enough to practice. But when cutdown day comes, the Raiders have to make the call whether to put a rusty player on the roster who may not be ready or put him on injured reserve _ ending his season.

– Amusing to see so many people willing to sell DeMarcus Van Dyke down the river because he couldn’t cover Larry Fitzgerald and got roasted by Drew Brees. Is it possible the standards may be a tad high for a third-round draft pick?

Fact is, on four or five of those plays against Arizona and New Orleans he was very close to being able to make a play. If he gets a hand on a couple of them, things look much different. If the Raiders are smart, they’ll put him out there for three quarters against Seattle and just let him play.

– Jackson duly noted the offensive positives _ four scoring drives in the first six posessions, touchdown drives of 91 and 80 yards. A 20-17 lead in the third quarter.

– As for the leaky pass defense, Jackson believes the issues are easily fixable through hard work. There aren’t a lot of trades to be had at this point, so he has little choice but to believe that.

Keep in mind it was Brees doing the damage, and he always torches the Raiders. Killed them in the preseason in 2009. Killed them in the regular-season in 2008. Killed them with some near-perfect games while quarterback of the San Diego Chargers. Business as usual.

– Since I’m going to assume Jacoby Ford will sit out the preseason finale along with Darren McFadden, it remains to be seen what Jackson will do as far as a punt return specialist. Looking at the roster, you’ve got to think Denarius Moore has a lead because it’s going to be difficult to keep Nick Miller around assuming that Darrius Heyward-Bey, Louis Murphy, Derek Hagan and Chaz Schilens all make the 53-man roster.

– As for DHB, his problems adjusting to a ball in flight were on display early as he twisted, turned and ultimately couldn’t find a Campbell deep throw in the first quarter. Later, on the kind of slant pass he has caught routinely in camp, came a drop. To be fair, the New Orleans defender appeared to hit him before the ball came out, but it still could have been caught.

The Raiders practice Tuesday and Wednesday at 11:15 a.m. in Alameda (closed to the media) before leaving for Seattle Thursday.

• Dakota

640.Method To My Madness Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:09 am
    No one wants to go back to LA Dakota……you dont know what you’re talking about…LA isnt an option
    ++++++++++++

Just Al Davis.

• No Mas Diamante

Hagan
    Ford
    Moore
    Murphy
    Schillens
    DHB

• SilverNBlackPA

If it were up to me, the starting WRs would be Ford and Hagan with Moore as 3rd WR. DHB only sees the field in 4 WR sets and gets knocked down to 5th when Murphy returns.

Sadly, it’s not up to me.

• Dakota

LMN!

How goes it? Dad doing better yet?

Still giving that chick the Big Ben in England?

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

DHB is bustin out this year. Mr. Davis does not make mistakes — he was a developmental project who has developed!
    _________________________________________________________

you mean Davis does nothing but mistakes, right?

• bcz24

I think, despite his visit to Seattle, Gurode signs with Sparano in Miami. Sparano coached him before, and that will allow the phish to move Pouncey out to guard and get Columbo off the field. The right side of their line is horrible and they will surely be looking for something.

• No Mas Diamante

So who returns punts this year? Moore?

• J Hill

Doesn’t Al Davis still say he owns the LA market?

Boyd fkin sucks

• Silverandblack666

I was ranking them on how they have preformed during the preseason IMO. Nothing more to read into it than that.

• bcz24

650.SilverNBlackPA Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:12 am
    Bcz,

I’m gonna guess they’ll keep him out til Week 7 since he’s barely had any time to practice at all…what do you think?
    ************************
    They wouldnt have bothered to put him on the PUP list just to take him back off by Saturday? Unless they wanted to free the roster spot up for Boyd for friday night, and they plan to cut him Saturday…

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Keep Chaz healthy he’s good
    cut DHB he struggles at his best
    take a paycut
    give the money to dmoore an hagans

an stop drafting track star receivers
    draft players that play the game

I hope we’ve learned our lesson here
    Mr. Davis

651.Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:12 am
    640.Method To My Madness Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:09 am
    ++++++++++++

Just Al Davis.

********************

No he doesnt, he was trying to come back since the late 80s to Oakland

Al holds on to the LA market thing as a way of sticking it to the NFL. He will never move them back down there

658.J Hill Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:15 am
    Doesn’t Al Davis still say he owns the LA market?

**********************

Of course he does……understand that is a game to Al….soemtimes his ego does mess up things….that’s just how he is

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Carl Weathers Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:12 am

636.La Milicia Negra Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:08 am
    Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:03 am

C Gurode cut by Cowboys=5 time pro bowler?

He is now visiting with Cable & Co. in Seattle.

I have never even heard of this guy lol.

WTF?
    ______________________________________________________

I hope you are joking, or else you cant be a football fan.. 5times pro bowler, you better know his name…

**********

LMAO! I’ve never heard of this guy either and I watch all the transactions and switch between 4 or 5 games every Sunday.
    I’ve never heard of him because I’m NOT A FAN of the probowl… haven’t watched in probably 20 some years. It sucks unless your a young fan that wants to see your teams stars. Like I did when Tim Brown, Howie Long and others made the team.
    ______________________________________________________

Im not fan of the pro bowl either, but if you are a footbal fan YOU KNOW GURODE.. im not talking about the GAME PRO BOWL, im talking about the PLAYER Gurode, one of the best OLine players in the last 5 years, if you dont have heard of him, then you clearly have lived under a rock.. or maybe people just cars about raiders, and not football.. i dont know… people here didnt knwo about DE Mathis, so maybe people cant handle more than 60 players..

• Silverandblack666

653.SilverNBlackPA Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:13 am

Sadly, it’s not up to me.

***************************

Yeah seriously….we all know DHB is starting in Denver….I’ll pray for 3-4 catches for 50-60 yards…..no TDs or 100 game will occur there for him

666.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:19 am

******************************

Do you know what I am saying?

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:13 am

LMN!

How goes it? Dad doing better yet?
    ________________________________________________________

he is doing way better.., thanks for asking…

• Thec07

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:16 am

++++++++

I typically don’t go in on bloggers, I like to engage and understand what the reasoing for the post was…

• Carl Weathers

Gurode is/was an offensive lineman in the NFC East. I’m sure I’ve seen him play but who pays attention to everyones name, especially on the o-line.

• Silverandblack666

Method To My Madness

Do you know the tardicaca hulu girl solo its in B flat.

• Dakota

669.La Milicia Negra Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:20 am

he is doing way better.., thanks for asking…
    ++++++++++++++++++++

Awesome.

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Carl Weathers Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:21 am

________________________________________________________

I cant fathom you know who Romo is, and not his Center.. when his Center actually is a great player and Romo is a loser…

• Method To My Madness

Carl….remember Haynesworth stomping on that dallas olineman’s head about 4-5 years ago? That was Gurode……good player but Satele gonna start for now until Wiz is ready to be our center

672.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:23 am
    Method To My Madness

Do you know the tardicaca hulu girl solo its in B flat.

*******************************

We want the ukelele solo!

• Silverandblack666

“thanks for the clarification. Wasn’t coming at you just wanted to know what your opinion was…”

I am of the opinion that Hue will play the players that earned it during camp and preseason and will not let the owner meddle. I would like to see Hue keep the team and not lose them to politics in the front office. However I still am worried about it.

Your thoughts?

• Method To My Madness

666….Nathan=MR….Mimsy=FAILKELL………”oh boy ya Boss he sure worked you over”……”SHUTUP MIMISSSSSYYYYY”

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

NFL, NFLPA donate $1 million to 9/11 charities
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 30, 2011, 12:52 PM EDT
    Kellen Winslow AP

With the first Sunday of the NFL season falling on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, the National Football League and the NFL Players Association have announced that they’ll donate $1 million to three 9/11 memorials and two charities connected to the events of September 11, 2001.

The NFL and NFLPA will contribute $500,000 to the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in Lower Manhattan, and $250,000 to be divided between the Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and the Pentagon Memorial Fund in Washington, D.C.

The NFL and NFLPA will also auction off game-worn jerseys, coaches’ hats commemorative coins and other items used during games played on September 11 and donate all proceeds to two 9/11-related charities, Tuesday’s Children and MyGoodDeed. Proceeds from the auction are expected to total at least $250,000
    _______________________________________________________

good Idea, but what a pathetic number..

674.La Milicia Negra Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:24 am
    Carl Weathers Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:21 am

________________________________________________________

*********************************

Wow first funny thing I’ve ever saw u post lol

• Dakota

Come on guys. you know I made that cut list up and made up the story about Mike Mitchell too.

Always consider the source…..

• Pingback: Evening AFC West notes at hoops227.org

• Thec07

++++++++++

I agree…And hope that is the case…

• Dakota

Don’t worry guys, we will find a safety who can tackle and cover, and front seven players who can stop the run once the July 5th cuts come around!

Oh wait, what day is today?

• Carl Weathers

674.La Milicia Negra Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:24 am
    Carl Weathers Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:21 am

________________________________________________________

***********
    Come to think of it, I don’t know who the center is for the Broncos, chefs or bolts… I guess I just don’t care.

• Silverandblack666

Method To My Madness

We want a nice clean towel not one that does sexual favors for crack!

• bcz24

681.Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:27 am

Always consider the source…..
    **************************
    I very highly doubt you are far from the truth… you may end up being 100 correct.

687.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:29 am
    Method To My Madness

We want a nice clean towel not one that does sexual favors for crack!

***************************

HAHAHAHAHA…..too much

• Silverandblack666

“MR to FAILKELL= “Mimsy, I think I got it. I found a new way to destroy Al Davis and the Raiders”…….”Oh boy ya Boss let’s get em Boss””

I know funny and that’s funny!!

666…..Mint Berry Crunch

• Carl Weathers

I thought those cuts had to be in by this morning, I guess not. Should have known you made it up with Pakulak on there. They’re not gonna let Lechler punt in the last preseason game, are they?

• The Scummy

Raiders had their chance to put DHB on contract waiver and passed. That would of had a major adjustment on the 7 million due. At that point, no one really wants DHB. Would of been an easy contract adjustment for the Raiders. Could of used that moolah to possibly keep Nnamdi. Now we created a major weak-side and broke up what would of been the premier CB tandem in the NFL. Raiders are now stuck w/ DHB, same WR, no promise and looking at cutting Chaz and Miller. Miller is a better departure due to size not heart, but Chaz is the largest WR. Da Raiders need a big body, and Chaz has shown he can and will catch the ball.

• Silverandblack666

Method To My Madness

Shablagooooo!!

• DKnight007

579.Dakota Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 9:40 am
    Wiz playing LG. Just seems right doesn’t it?

I don’t like Satele very much, but the combo of him at C with Wiz at LG is much better than Wiz at C and Loper at LG.

Still hoping Barksdale and Campbell can take put Carlisle and Queef Barnes at some point this season.

^^^^^^^
    I would rather have Heyer play RT than Barnes.

But it seems like Barnes has pulled his head out of his arse since the Zona game

• DKnight007

693.The Scummy Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:39 am

^^^^^^^^
    Miller gonna get cut. Moore will be the primary PR man after that.

Chaz will survive because he is big and can catch the ball.

Can Miller go to practice squad?

• DKnight007

DHB just has no ball skills when it comes to tracking and going after that damn football!

Hagan has already proven he is a better WR than DHB.

Hagan is a keeper for this team. He is young also at 26!

• DKnight007

It’s going to come down IF Chuck B gets his head out off his azz and gets this defense to play disciplined aggressive sound football.

I don’t trust Chuck B….never have and never will!

666…..MR and Kell gonna fit in well with the Nathan and Mimsy angle lol