Cornerback Chris Johnson says he’s back, Satele waxes poetic about J. Campbell

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 at 3:14 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Starting cornerback Chris Johnson was a surprise participant at practice Tuesday, given he had surgery approximately two weeks ago.
He had been running off to the side at practice the final few days in Napa. Now, he is functioning at near or close to full strength.
Johnson said “hands down,” he is playing in the regular-season opener against the Denver Broncos on Sept. 12.
He won’t play against the Seattle Seahawks on Friday night, though, just to make sure his undisclosed injury heals all the way.
“I’ve felt better the last couple weeks than I’ve felt in the last two years,” Johnson said. “So, it’s a big improvement I feel in my body. I’m just ready to go.”
Johnson’s return comes as welcome news to a Raiders fan base concerned about the play of rookie DeMarcus Van Dyke during his absence the past two games.
Don’t be so hard on Van Dyke and the other young, inexperienced cornerbacks, Johnson said. It takes time to mature into a reliable cornerback in the NFL.
“When I first came in, it was the same way,” Johnson said. “It just takes one or two plays for you to just knock a ball down or pick the ball off, and they’ll respect you. If you don’t do that, they’re going to continue to pick on you in this league.
Speed is one thing that Van Dyke and the other cornerbacks have in their favor, Johnson said.
“Our guys, they can run with anybody, so we just have to turn our heads. People see we’re there. All you’ve got to do is turn your head and it’s a pick. I

*Jackson said there are a handful of things that surprise him after a little more than a month of working with his players throughout training camp and three exhibition games.
“A lot of things have surprised me,” Jackson said. “I’m 0-3. We’ve had some injuries.”
Beyond that, Jackson added, he has been impressed by the way his players have worked hard throughout camp and responded well to his being the coach.

*Defensive tackle Richard Seymour is just fine, according to Jackson. Seymour just falls into the category of valuable players that Jackson doesn’t want to overexert before the season or expose to injury.

*Rookie Chimdi Chekwa has been splitting time at cornerback and safety, just as have Michael Huff and Tyvon Branch.
Huff and Branch aren’t changing positions at the moment, Jackson said. However, it’s conceivable that Chekwa will convert to safety full time before long.
Chekwa said he is adapting to the new dual role, playing a position he has never played.
“It’s brand new,” Chekwa said. “They put me at safety last week. They’re trying different things, putting us in different places, seeing what we can do.”
Already, Chekwa is learning that safety is quite different than cornerback.
“Definitely,” Chekwa said. “Eye discipline is real big. You got to have eye control at any position on defense, but at the safeties it’s a lot different because you see so much more, and that’s something I learned in the past week.”

*Jackson was asked about the long-term outlook of safety Mike Mitchell and wide receiver Chaz Schilens. Once again, Jackson dismissed their injuries as nothing major and said both will be back soon.
A person close to Mitchell said his injury involves one of his knees, though he isn’t sure if Mitchell required surgery to repair the cartilage damage.

*Center Samson Satele said part of the reason for the offensive line’s early success, despite all the players rotating in and out of the lineup and playing multiple positions, owes to coaches who constantly remind the offensive linemen that Raiders quarterbacks were hit 121 times in 16 regular-season games last year.
“Hue is trying to build a bully, so we’re trying to live up what he wants us to be,” Satele said. “We can see it when we watch film. Last year or the year before that, we were a bully but this year, we’re a little more grumpy, I guess.”
And, just what does a bully look like from Satele’s standpoint?
In short, it means being physical, sustaining blocks and keeping Campbell upright and free to play quarterback without worry of being pounded.

*Campbell comes across as even-keeled, which he is, for the most part. However, there are times when Campbell loses his cool, Satele said. When he does, look out.
“Yes, he gets mad,” Satele said. “One thing about him, that’s our mom. You don’t want to see our mom mad. He’s a great leader but once he gets mad, he opens up some eyes.”
Campbell has opened plenty of eyes with his leadership and comfort level this season. Last season, his first with the Raiders, Campbell was learning a new offense, trying to gain the respect of his teammates and constantly fending off Bruce Gradkowski for the starting job.
Not this season, by all accounts.
“You can see it,” Satele said. “It’s the way he’s calling the plays, it’s the way he’s leading us out there. Bringing us back to the huddle during practice, saying we’re too slow getting up to the ball. Staying in the huddle; guys used to leave out of the huddle last year when he’s not even done with the call. This year, he’s keeping them in. You can just see little things like that. You can see how comfortable he is back there, with us giving him the time to throw that ball.”

*Now that the Raiders are at their year-round facility in Alameda for the rest of the season, things take on a more-intense feel. Tuesday’s first roster cuts helped underscore the fact that the regular season is drawing near.
“We are getting closer to the season,” Jackson said. “We’re getting closer to doing what we really get paid to do every
day, which is trying to win football games. Not that we’re not trying to win the preseason games, but once you come back here, the anxiety, the pressure of what we’re about to go do and embark on really heightens. Now, all of a sudden, it’s for real. Every game now has a won and loss that goes in that box and that’s what we’re truly doing it for.”

*Rookie left guard Stefen Wisniewski missed practice Tuesday. No big deal, Jackson said.
“One of those little dings,” Jackson said. “He’ll be fine. Any time we get a player with a little something, we’re going to be very cautious with him, but he’ll be OK.”

*Now that cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is gone, seventh-year cornerback Stanford Routt has assumed more of a leadership role as the senior member of the secondary (Note: that title goes away if Lito Sheppard makes the 53-man roster).
Through it all, Routt said he hasn’t changed all that much, though teammates tend to look to him more now than in years past, especially the rookies and second-year cornerbacks.
“It hasn’t changed my approach or my feelings toward the game,” Routt said. “That’s moreso something that (the media) make a big story about. It’s just football. Just go out there, you line up on the guy in front of you, you cover. It’s going to be either a run play or a pass play. At the end of the day, it’s just football.”
Jackson said Asomugha’s departure via free agency has forced all the veteran defensive backs to step up and assume larger roles.
“Moreso than anything, it’s brought the group closer together to understand it takes all of them,” Jackson said. “It doesn’t take one guy. It’s going to take all four of them to be at their best in order for us to have success.”

*Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• Method To My Madness

run defense sucks and who played every spor on it? Tommy Kelly

• priesttj

Whatever man if it makes for peac betwen brothers we need a NT. LOL

• Method To My Madness

Bcz….he still coulda played on it…he wasnt even 100 pct when he came back and still did his thang! He manned up

• DutchRaider77

Concerning Campbell, Satele said. “One thing about him, that’s our mom. You don’t want to see our mom mad.
    ______________________________________________________
    Isn’t this a military reference of type? In the the thin Red Line by James Jones, the 1st/sergent is described as the mother and the captain the father.

“But I prefer to think of myself as a family man…I’m the father and…I guess that makes Sergeant Welsh here the mother…Now a family can only have one head, and that’s the father. Me. Father is the head and Mother runs it…”

Hue Jackson is the leader of the family and Campbell runs it…

• Method To My Madness

BHP….u say i wanna start one? lol maybe u look at all ur posts first

• Method To My Madness

kelly is one dimensional….he sucks vs run…hope he spranis his knee so he can be demoted

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

teammates felt sorry for him is why
    ********
    HA!

• priesttj

I know but I’m tired now…..

• Humm Babe

Updated list of ‘THE MR/RMR Sticky Sock Puppet Aliases’

SilverNutsack
    Typical Raider Fan

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AND IN OTHER NEWS:::::::::::::::::::::::

32.KoolKell Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 3:57 pm
    Brien, your daddy is a big phaggot

No wonder you get ragged so much. Why you callin people names. That is so childish. Funny how you and MR get lumped in the same bag and MR licks your butt on the one take then trashes you on another. Just chill dude. Lighten up and free yourself from all the hate you have for Al Davis, and maybe we can help you get out of the bag and MR will be left there all by his lonesome.

• Method To My Madness

sprains*

• Method To My Madness

59.Humm Babe Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 4:28 pm
    Updated list of ‘THE MR/RMR Sticky Sock Puppet Aliases’

SilverNutsack

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AND IN OTHER NEWS:::::::::::::::::::::::

32.KoolKell Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 3:57 pm
    Brien, your daddy is a big phaggot

*****************

Kell is an unhappy person…suicide watch

• Method To My Madness

yall like kelly and im sick of him….LDE,NT,RDEandUT he has started at all those spots…and run defense still sux….put it together yall

• Humm Babe

Kell :cry: lets try and turn over a new leaf for the new season, OK?

The old Kell :sad:

The new Kell :grin:

Raiders gonna be good this year Kell :smile:

Kell is gonna be a happy man :wink:

’cause when the Raiders do not do good :roll:

Kell gets perplexed :neutral:

So lets be upbeat for the Raiders Kell :razz:

Be positive :smile:

Screw Beechnut :oops:

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

Brien Bootlicker, this blog has been trying to get rid of you for years, Wow. You have to change your handle every 2 weeks now?

• Humm Babe

Whatcha say Kell :?:

• Humm Babe

64.KoolKell Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

=======================

Now now Kell :shock:

That is not a positive attitude :!:

Be happy :grin:

Let the negative go :grin:

Raiders gonna be alright :grin:

Screw the Beechnut :oops:

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

Well, I’ll leave you cross-posting trolls alone. Gonna go watch the game.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

AZ is a contender for the NFC West. Kolb looks good so far, and may be the best QB in that Div.

• Humm Babe

Kell, I got an idea :idea:

Think positive :cool:

Its all good :cool:

Raiders gonna be alright :cool:

I wont share the bag with MR :cool:

HueJack the Man :cool:

Screw Beechnut :oops:

• J Hill

B,

Why do you think Henderson is not starting?

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Stafford is not better than Rogers, Cutler, or McNabb. DET Lions Hype is ridiculous.

• Mum-O-killowe

Inonewordraider Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 3:21 pm
    I don’t know if QB wants to be described as mom
    —————————-_____________

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if JaCampbell breast feeds them all, or just Satele

• Method To My Madness

64.KoolKell Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

****************************

I dont change it by choice…my handles are awesome so are my posts…its too bad sensitive squirting snatch bzies like yourself get so offended

• Method To My Madness

Jhill next post

• anhdazman

Won’t be surprise if Mike Mitchell is on placed on PUP\reserve list which will require for him to sit out the first 6 weeks.
    Full concentrations on the Broncos. They lost their starting DT and LB to injuries which should help us establish our running game. It would be wise for our running game to run right at their rookie Von Miller. Welcome to the NFL. Dumervil looks like he’s back at full strength so we got to pay attention to him.
    Denver will also give us the two headed monster look of Moreno and Mcghee. The defense needs to be ready. Mclain needs to show us what he learned after his 1st season. He needs to show us some “THUMP” and why he’ll be a future Pro-Bowl MLB. D-Line needs to step up vs. the run. Safeties needs to contribute big time vs. the run. Routt has actually looked confident and a seasoned vet. He’s going to get the Nnamdi treatment at CB. Hope CJ will be back, but DVD will be fine. He just needs to get his hands between WRs outstretched hands. DVD is stride for stride with all of the WRs. Just needs to finish off plays.

• personal foul

I wouldn’t put too much stock in the betting lines. The line is constantly changing depending on how much action comes in. Not by much, but enough so that no matter how it goes, the house won’t get ‘dinged’ too bad. >>insert “Obviously” here for Hue’s sake.

What I would put stock in is the fact that the Bully still has a lot of growing to do.

purvisman

9:07 PM on August 30, 2011

Didn’t we all know all off season that the offensive line would be fine; it was defense we had to worry about? joking. I remember last year being happy Bush was starting the season instead of Mcfadden, as were most of you that are honest enough to remember. And, I’ve been curious why every pundit has said giving up Nnamdi was a death knell to a team they give no chance of winning anything ,but the last eight teams that won the superbowl didn;t have Aso on the team. Don’t get me wrong, I loved NNamdi and wanted him here, but why would that be the be all and end all of our chances? I’m drunk but you get the point.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?entry_id=96496#ixzz1WZmwOBhf

• bladewalker

Steve Corkran, please format your articles! For the love of god, professional writers are constantly bemoaning the fact that all these unskilled bloggers are putting them out of business, and yet y’all (Jerry included) seem to be above the use of spell checks and line breaks to present even the most rudimentary level of readability to your work. Love your content, just please extend the modicum of effort required to present it at the level of an unskilled blogger.

• dvrick

# Plunketthead Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Don

That list is not “kept” by anyone. Priesttj the troll started it and he changes it all the time to suit his whim. I am sorta proud that I made the list : )

You may not have known that last night.

• dvrick

# Plunketthead Says:
    August 31st, 2011 at 4:55 am

Lets keep it real simple this morning and break it down into the basics

We got our butts torn asunder the last nine years because we could not throw the ball, we could not run the ball, we could not catch the ball we could not block, we could not defend the pass. we could not defend the run at all, and we could not tackle. And we had a terrible club atmosphere.

It really is that simple

Last year for the first time {and with HUE it will be the last} in 9 years we passed some what decent, we ran excellent, we blocked very well, we defended the pass like pro bowlers, we made improvments in tackling and we made great strides in having a great club atmosphere. (I cant come up with a better word to describe it)

Today we have regressed on the offense and it looks like teams will tear us up.

The defense is a work in regress. We have taken a step backwords, according to preseaon games, however I do n put much stock in that. We are 6 players away from being great on defense

The big deal is to stay healthy and hope that Hue can be a so so head coach

WRST YEAR EVER !!!!!!!

• dvrick

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 31st, 2011 at 11:30 am

RAIDERS RB DMAC will miss the season with a torn labrum !!!!!Well there goes the season!!!! …

• dvrick

# ghostraiders Says:
    August 31st, 2011 at 11:41 am

Is it bad to hope that Zach Miller Tears it up in Seattle. .??. I regrets him leaving the raiders.. I truly do.. and I hope Boss n Ausberry tear their ACLs…. I Love Tom cable.. I don’t mind Seattle and I Love Pete caroll.. ..

• dvrick

# priesttj Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 10:42 pm

It’s TRUE!! DMAC LOST FOR THE SEASON __ TEARS ACL!!!

• dvrick