Coach Hue Jackson conference call transcript

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, September 3rd, 2011 at 5:12 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s the entire transcript of the conference call with Raiders coach Hue Jackson an hour ago. Senior executive John Herrera preceded Jackson as a means of explaining why the Raiders won’t announce their roster moves yet.

John Herrera: The waiver wire is going to be at least another two hours before the league lets it go and we want to make sure we have done everything correctly, procedurally. So, we’re not going to have the cuts for you at this time but we will get it to you the minute it becomes official, and Hue will address all the cuts and transactions that we make, and it is a fluid situation, tomorrow, after practice. We will give you a schedule as soon as we finish up with the conference call. Any questions on that?

Q: Can we reschedule this when we have the cuts?
Herrera: No. His dance card is punched. He’s got to worry about the Denver Broncos right now. So we’ll make that available as soon as it’s official and he’ll answer questions on any of that tomorrow.

Herrera: Without further adieu, here’s Hue . . .

Q: How you doing, Hue?
Jackson: I’m doing good. I’m doing really good. How you guys doing today.

Q: Don’t suppose you’re going to tell us any transactions . . .
Jackson: You suppose correctly.

Q: What are we supposed to ask you?
Jackson: Whatever you want, other than transactions.

Q: Why can’t you give us the moves when rest of the teams in the league are giving them out?
Jackson: See, those are those East coast teams. We’re a West Coast team. All the teams didn’t do that, did they?

Q: A lot are coming in?
Jackson: You said all of them.

Q: I didn’t say all of them.
Jackson: How you guys doing today. How’s everything going?

Q: Who’s your backup quarterback?
Jackson: Who’s my backup? Wouldn’t you like to know? No, all those things will be answered shortly here in the next couple hours, and like I said, I’d love to talk about all that stuff tomorrow.

Q: Status on the Mike Mitchell injury?
Jackson: I think he’s still working through it. Obviously we’re not totally ready yet. I think it’s become a work in progress. We’re trying to get him back as fast as we can. He’s working as hard as he can to get back and hopefully we’ll get him back soon.

Q: What did you learn about your team in these four preseason games?
Jackson: I learned so many different things. I learned our players will go out and compete. I learned that our guys are coachable. I learned that our guys will work at it. I learned that our guys, we need to learn to finish everything that we do. Again, what you said, what did we learn in those four preseason games, it was a learning experience for all and I think we’re ready to hit the ground running here in the regular season.

Q: How confident are you that things will click once the regular-season opener arrives?
A: “I feel very confident. Again, my vision and what I see is different than what everyone else sees. I understand that. I sit in a whole different chair. I know a lot of people wish I was on the floor, crying, upset and upside down, but I’m not. Because, as I said before, I know what’s in our locker room, I know how hard this team works and I truly believe the hard work is going to start paying off here very soon.”

Q: What has this process been like with Al Davis for the first time?
A: “It’s total communication. It’s been great. Obviously, there’s decisions that have to be made based on what the organization thinks is best, and I support that to the fullest. We get it done and we move forward.”

Q: Has there been anything at all that’s surprising to you in your relationship with coach Davis?
A: “No, just that it’s been totally opposite of what everyone thinks it is, that he is someone that I can communicate with, bounce things off of and talk to, talk through things with. As I said before, this is his team, I respect that. But, boy, do we really have some great conversations about where we need to go and what we need to do to get better.”

Q: Why have the past few coaches had such a poor relationships with Al Davis?
A: “As I said before, I can’t speak to what everybody else has been through. I can only comment on what I deal with every day, on an every day basis, and I feel very comfortable with where me and him is and where we’re headed.”

Q: Does the delay in announcing the roster moves have anything to do with you making calls about trades?
A: “As you know, this is a process. And as I told you, we’re just going to continue to uncover every opportunity that we can to get this team better. Obviously, there’s nothing that’s totally in ink just yet. The league didn’t say it all had to be there right this second. We know that there’s deadlines that we need to adhere by but we are always trying to make this team better.”

Q: Would it surprise you if the 53-man roster revealed tonight is the same for the opener at Denver?
A: Um, no. It wouldn’t surprise me. It wouldn’t surprise me, not one bit. But again, you never know. We’ll continue to go through our process to make sure we get this team as good as we can get it before we play Denver.

Q: Can we assume the starting offensive line that played the first half last night is the same offensive line that will play in Denver?
A: Could be. I mean, could be. Again, we’re still, I’m still moving people here and there. I think we’re very close to being set. Again those are things that tomorrow, I think you’ll have a very clear idea of exactly where we’re headed.

Q: Jacoby Ford said last night you could tell who could play and who could not play in the preseason. Was there a big divide between your front-line players and your backups?
A: I mean, obviously, the starters are the starters and the reserves are the reserves and there is a difference between the two and that’s why, again, this process in the second half of games has been about evaluating and giving those young men a chance to show what they have, because obviously they didn’t get an OTA or mini-camp to have an opportunity to do that. So I can see some players saying that. But again, we’re all Raiders out there playing at that particular point in time. And again, as we move forward, we’re looking to do great things.

Q: How would you assess what Sterling Moore and Jerome Boyd did this preseason?
A: I think those guys worked extremely hard, gave it everything they had and represented themselves well.

Q: How did Stevie Brown and Jeremy Ware acquit themselves?
A: I think again, I mean, you’re talking about two young men who’ve been here, who came back, ready to compete and give it everything they’ve got and I think those young men went out there every day and competed. Obviously, Jeremy had a little ding here and there but I think the guys, as far as training cam is concerned, came to work everyday and went to the games and played as well as they could play.

Q: Still confident both Richard Seymour and Chris Johnson will be ready to play against Denver?
A: Yes, I am. Extremely.

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

5 RB AND 4 TE A little suprised think Ashburry or Gorden wuold get picked up before S.Moore

Also Bennett and Cartright i belive vet leadership.

Think Blackstock can play have you watched film took S.Williams spot

• ohioraider

Sam Williams made himself a nice little living there. Good for him.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Hegan stuck. Thats a plus.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Schefter just reported Sam Williams offered to give his scholarship to Nick Miller…Hahaha. Hey gotta find some laughter in it right?!

• 504 Raider

Good point about the Bears needing a RB and we need an OLB.

Bush for Briggs. Makes you wanna go cut the grass.

• Seymour Bush

Edwards sucked. No real surprises.

• GForce21

alex7 Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Goldie,

the Patriots fired their top guys once in a while during that stretch, in an attempt to find the right guys to lead the team.

Davis won’t fire himself…so I don’t see the end of this slide.
    ———————
    Those horrible Patriot teams of the 80s and 90s still went to Superbowls vs Bears and Packers.

• alex7

Mike Martz wants multi-dimensional RBs, much like their starter Forte.

Also, why on earth could the Bears not find a better player to trade for than our part-time back?

Realistically, Bush is no better than SD’s Mike Tolbert.

• RaiderRetribution

Two that standout to me that made the final 53-man roster:

Raiders did chose to keep 4 TEs: Mr. Boss, Mr. Meyers, Mr. Ausberry, and Mr. Gordon (who stepped up last night). Congratulations!

the other is that the Raiders kept 5 running backs plus our fullback, Mr. Reece as Mr. Bennett made the roster* more on this in another post.

• ohioraider

What Say You Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Q: Why have the past few coaches had such a poor relationships with Al Davis?
    …………………………………………

Because Al is a old cantankerous S.O.B. in his old age. And besides, if you’ve ever listened to a word Al Davis has said, you’d know why he through them under the bus. It’s a no brainer.
    ——————————————
    Because the Old Creeper won’t hold himself accountable for the dreck he puts on the field. He sets up the coaches to take the fall. Oh, and then there’s always some kind of money dispute.

• rob_raider

surprises:

cut:
    edwards, loper, sheppard, williams, ware, brown, walter~, s.moore~,

kept:
    bennett, miller, 4 te’s, wand, only 5 lb’s, only 5 cb’s, no fs

• I am Spartacus

Hagan and Blackstock will be good contributors from what I have seen.

• GForce21

What Say You Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Q: Why have the past few coaches had such a poor relationships with Al Davis?
    …………………………………………

———————————-
    Because Al would rather lose his way than win your way.

• What Say You

I would really really love to see Big Als’ war room right now. Anybody got any pics? I’d like to see his servants, advisors, scouts, hench men, lawyers, sooth-sayers, and all the ilk of his sattelite. Big screens, multiple phones, a dark room lit only by moniters. That is simply fascinating. And Big Al right in the center of it.

Maybe Tj can provide a little insight.

• alex7

Friend whose friend is a scout told me weeks ago Raiders were high on Blackstock.

I’ll have to listen to him more often.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

I think we are going to play one side of the ball this year. Who needs to waste money on D when you have T.jones McFadden Bush D.Wow and Ford.

58 mins a game on O and were good.

• RaiderRetribution

I see Gordon sticking around, especially if he is the better blocker of all the TEs.

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

I believe Lil Nicky was kept for punts and kick offs for now till our WR’S get healthy Coach dont want to risk D.Moore back there right now?

• rob_raider

kept wand over loper. porter over sheppard. edwards, ware, and brown for miller, bennett, and gordon.

• ohioraider

What Say You Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Maybe Tj can provide a little insight.
    ————————————
    Phones with cords, an overhead projector, a Selectric typewriter, and player profiles on index cards. And in the corner: his increasingly nervous minions wondering how much longer they have to tolerate this situation.

• hellsbells

Alex7 Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 6:52 pm
    Mike Martz wants multi-dimensional RBs, much like their starter Forte.

Realistically, Bush is no better than SD’s Mike Tolbert.

Winner, most idiotic post of the day. Go back to the Niner blog please.

• RaiderRetribution

Mr. Blackstock played the best of the backup LBs, he had a couple good tackles; after Mr. Groves just looking awfully clumsy missing that tackle behind the line of scrimmage, I could see him starting over Groves.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

GForce…the Raiders will began to win again, You just gotta keep having faith man. Strong faith is what seperate the men from the boys. You guys give up too soon. I’m tired of losing seasons also but I will never give up on the Silver and Black. Hey, I’m taking the good with thee bad. Just like a good solid marriage…you take the good with thee bad and stand strong believing that all thing will get better. Peace to ya

• I am Spartacus

Now for the next pleasant surprise – DHB doesn’t start!

• RaiderRetribution

Raiders keeping Mr. Bennett, who has had some nice runs this preseason could mean a trade is being negotiated for Mr. Bush.

• RaiderRetribution

Mr. Ware & Mr. W. McFadden & Mr. S. Moore are practice squad eligible; I expect at least 2 of them to be on the squad.

• GForce21

Goldie7 Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 6:56 pm

——————————

To put it into perspective:

Last time we had a winning season I didn’t have kids. My daughter starts 3rd grade in a few days.

This year doesn’t look good either, so what calendar year do we experience our next winning season?

• RaiderRetribution

One DB I would like to see the Raiders take a look at, was one I was hoping they would draft, Shiloh Keo.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

Goldie,

Davis won’t fire himself…so I don’t see the end of this slide.
    ———————

Yeah Alex, I understand what you’re saying but did the Patriots bring home the prize in the 80′s and early 90′s? I don’t think so

• I am Spartacus

Do we really want to trade Bush for a 30-year linebacker in Briggs. Without Bush, we have no real bruising backs.

• alex7

Hells,

it’s always juvenile to not make an argument on a post, and instead just name-call.

Bush 243 lbs 658 yds, 8 TDs, 4.1 avg
    Tolbert 243 lbs 735 yds, 11 TDs, 4.0 avg

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

GForce…our season has not started yet. Let’s wait and judge our team accordingly to each game. Whew…you guys are putting our Raiders down too soon.

• ohioraider

GForce21 Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Goldie7 Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 6:56 pm

——————————

To put it into perspective:

————————————–
    I’m guessing sometime right around the rapture.

• I am Spartacus

Would Al trade DMac for Clay Matthews? Would any of you guys make that trade. He (Matthews) is a USC guy, after all.

• GForce21

I am Spartacus Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 7:06 pm

——————–
    I don’t know. Its sentimental to me. I have followed McFadden since his freshman year at Arkansas.

Matthews would be schemed much different in our defense so I am not sure he would be in the position to make the plays for us that he makes for GB.

• Seymour Bush

I am Spartacus Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 7:00 pm

======================================

No. That would be asinine. The points you bring up are exactly right. Mike Bush has been healthy, has not been a problem, has run well, blocked well, caught well, and “fans” want to trade him (a skill player) for a LB with 9 years in? That would be plain silly.

• SilverLining20

Faith is for getting into heaven, it doesn’t do s*** for sports fans except hurt their pockets and turn their brains into mush. I love the Raider Nation. We are obsessed with our team like no others. BUT THE KOOLAID DRINKING HAS TO STOP.

This team benefited from a healthy run game and a smart pass rush during an easy schedule last year. Division games are always close but our only other two wins last year were against the..NFC West.

What do you think of when you hear Rex Grossman and Trent Dilfer? Well one of them got to a SuperBowl and the other has a ring. Why? Because of great defense. Wins and Losses don’t matter in the preseason but the evaluation of talent and coaching do. We play the NFC North and AfC East this year. Our defense is gonna cost us.

When we’re arguing with other fans, by all means let them know why they are irrelevant compared to the Raiders, but amongst each other we should be able to point out that DHB doesn’t deserve to start, nick miller should be banned from the facilities and Huff can’t cover for s***.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I Am Spartacus Says:
    September 3rd, 2011 at 7:06 pm
    —————
    Dumbest post of the year so far. Packers would never make that trade. They don’t need a RB.

• Silverandblack666

They cut Sterling Moore and kept 7 WR’s including Nick Miller.

It looks like there are only 5 CB’s on the roster.

I would have thought 6 WR and 6 CB’s

• joker94583

obviously Hue’s favorite word obviously is obviously and that’s obvious obviously.

• Pingback: cheap holidays | Cheap getaways | cheap city breaks | cheap family holidays | cheap holidays to egypt | cheap holidays to spain |

• Pingback: free online strategy game

• Pingback: JediMaster