Post-practice notes, quotes and anecdotes (9-5-11)

Coach Hue Jackson on Tuesday put his troops through their final full practice during the day. Now, it’s a day off before the players return for three straight night practices, at which time the preparations for the Denver Broncos kick into high gear.
When the Raiders resume practice Wednesday, they will welcome back veteran safety Matt Giordano. He was re-signed Tuesday, at the expense of veteran running back Michael Bennett.
That makes two roster moves in the two days since the Raiders first formed a 53-man roster. It’s safe to assume that Jackson isn’t through tweaking his roster.
Bringing back Giordano was a decision that was made after evaluating the roster and determining that there was more of a need at safety than running back.
“He’s played the game at a very high level,” Jackson said of Giordano. “He’s played on some very good, quality teams. He’s a great worker, has good range. He plays safety and can fill in on special teams, so he has some value.””

*The Raiders decision to part ways with perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha and sign cornerback Stanford Routt to a three-year contract that guarantees him $20 million comes with a catch.
Routt no longer can fly under the radar and go about his business in relative anonymity as Asomugha handles the spotlight.
“Oh, yeah, he’s taken that role over,” safety Michael Huff said. “He knows he’s the guy, and this defense, the Raiders always have a No. 1 corner. For the past seven years, he’s kind of been a guy in the shadows, but now he knows it’s his turn and he’s that guy.”
Routt has handled the added pressure with the kind of steely nerves needed to play man coverage in the NFL. He realizes that he is under the microscope, so to speak, and he welcomes the chance to spread his wings.

*It’s no secret that Raiders managing general partner Al Davis covets speed above all else.
This year’s team just might feature a collection of fast players that is unmatched in Raiders history. The key is, putting that speed to work for the Raiders and getting it to translate into more plays made.
As usual, we can count upon defensive tackle Tommy Kelly to put a unique spin on things.
“We’re pretty fast,” Kelly said, “But, like I said, we’ve got to execute it. It doesn’t mean anything. It’s like a nice piece of chicken that’s sitting on the plate. If you don’t even touch it, you won’t be able to enjoy it. So, we’ve got to execute the gameplan and whatever coach calls, the line’s got to line up there and block, and the quarterback got to put it there on time and the receiver’s got to catch it.”
Running back Darren McFadden certainly is in the discussion when it comes to which Raiders player has the most speed.
McFadden says he is the fastest player. Running back Taiwan Jones makes a similar claim. Regardless, it’s all about how the Raiders use that speed, McFadden said.
“It’s like we can have a track meet on the field with the guys we have out there,” McFadden said. “It’s not just about having speed. Guys have to be able to go out there and make plays. One thing we want to do is focus on making plays.”
Jackson gets particularly giddy when talking about the likes of McFadden, Jones, Jacoby Ford and Darrius Heyward-Bey.
“You see me smiling, right?” Jackson said. “I’m very happy, very excited, about our football team. This is the team I envisioned we had the capability of being when this thing all started. The fun part is, now they’re all healthy, almost all. You get to play with them a little bit and find out they are what I know they are. They’re starting to showcase that.”
For an objective take on who is the fastest Raider, we turn to free safety Michael Huff, never one short on opinion.
“I’d say Taiwan,” Huff said. “He’s probably the fastest man I’ve ever seen. The special things he’s done in practice, catching sweeps and catching screens, and I don’t know, he hits a gear. Doesn’t look like he’s running that fast, though, and you try and run him down and he just glides.”

*Tight end Kevin Boss worked out with a trainer for part of practice and afterward, though he’s still wearing a protective sleeve on his left knee.
Jackson said he isn’t sure if Boss will be at practice Thursday or whether Boss will be able to play Monday night. Boss said he remains hopeful.

*Jackson still isn’t prepared to announce who his starting wide receivers are going to be Monday night.
Based on performance in practice and exhibition games, it’s clear cut that rookie Denarius Moore and Derek Hagan deserve to start against the Broncos.
Hagan said he and the other receivers have not been told what their roles are going to be just yet. That should come Thursday, at the latest.
As for Moore, Jackson said it’s imperative to find ways to get him the ball so that the Raiders can take advantage of his play-making ability.
“Let him catch balls,” Jackson said. “That’s what he does. He catches footballs. Put him in position to make plays. That’s what you do. You take all this talent that we have. You got to take all these guys and give them opportunities to make plays in games. And he’s done it, and he’s one of the guys that knows how, so we’ll give him opportunities to do so.””
Hagan said he’s prepared for anything.
“I really have no clue,” Hagan said. “It’s just, whatever they want me to do, I’m definitely there to do it, whether it’s starting at receiver, coming in as the second, third, fourth receiver or playing on special teams. I’m just here to do it all for this team and, hopefully, I can help the team win.”

*Ford was an intriguing prospect when he joined the Raiders as a fourth-round draft pick last season. Yet, coach Tom Cable and then-offensive coordinator Jackson weren’t quite sure what they had in Ford until the ninth game of the season.
“After that Kansas City game, I felt like I was definitely going to be somebody they would depend on,” Ford said. “That’s always a great honor, whenever you gain that trust of your head coach or any other coach, it’s always a great feeling to have.”
Now, everyone knows what Ford is capable of doing as a wide receiver and kick returner. Therefore, Jackson intends to take advantage of Ford’s wealth of talent from the outset.
Jackson said he recognized Ford’s ability early on last season. It was a matter of Ford carrying over what he did in practice into games.
“What happens in practice and what happens in games are the key indicators for a player,” Jackson said. “What he was doing in practice, he turned around and started doing it in games and next thing you know, he’s becoming a household name.”
Ford says he hears often about being comparable to Steve Smith and DeSean Jackson. Both are No. 1 receivers for their respective teams. Where does Ford rate?
“We’re all No. 1s.” Ford said. “It just all depends whoever Jason wants to throw the ball to. We’re all out there working hard, just trying to be the best receiving corp in the league. Even though we’re young and that just something they always say about us, we’re definitely not going to be playing young at all this year.”

*The Raiders have lost 11 straight prime-time games, including their past seven Monday night affairs. That stat isn’t lost on the Raiders, especially long-time veterans such as Kelly.
“As long as I’ve been here, we haven’t played good on prime time,” Kelly said. “So, this is another opportunity to play good. It shouldn’t be hard getting up for the game, playing Denver.”
Jackson no doubt is aware of the Raiders futility on prime time games. Yet, he isn’t in the mood to pass judgment on things that happened on someone else’s watch.
“This is 2011,” Jackson said. “The Raiders and the Denver Broncos on Monday night in their stadium. That’s all I know. What’s gone on here in the past, I can’t speak about it, worry about. I’m just worried about this upcoming Monday night.””

Steve Corkran

• Sullivan44

My prediction for Monday’s game, btw.

Denver 24
    Raiders 17.

1) Raiders have been horrible in prime time in recent history, not having won since 2004.

2) The Raiders haven’t won in week one since 2002.

3) John Fox is an Al Davis nemesis. Fox left the team on bad terms. Enemy coaches tend to just own the Raiders.

The Raiders look better on paper. With the exception of the receiving corp, the Raiders are better at just about every position. So, on paper, the Raiders win. But in reality, the Raiders just find a way to lose.

• RedneckRaider

Broncos favored by 3??!?!?

I’m going to put SO much money on this game. Good thing Friday is payday.

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707
  • Plunketthead

Ford/Bey were our starting WRs at the start of training camp and they will start Monday night.

I think Orton will get sum yards vs us…..I dont likethe pass rush at all….Shaughnessy isnt a RDE and Lamarr doesnt seem quick enough on the edge. I’m not confident in Kelly vs the RG…sorry

***

Hopefully BCZ sees this comment and goes apespit on ya

the D-Line was a strength last year. where ya been, ROG?

ShoNasty + Houston = solid base DE combo for the next 10 years. Print That

situational pass rushers Scott & Moss as depth = fine by me

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

Norv was crying in the presser after that game because he knew that win would have all but clinched a playoff birth for SD.

It certainly would have killed the Raiders chances right there.

• Method To My Madness

897.Sullivan44 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:06 pm
    lol. OMG. I have my AC on and I can still hear this buffoon. The funny thing is, people are trying to leave, or go back into their houses. He’s forcing the conversation on them. How pathetic. I just heard him again; “If you’re not liberal by the time you’re 20, you don’t have a heart…if you’re not conservative by age blah blah blah”. Gee, thanks for our morning Winston Churchill quote. Can we go back to our daily routines now, Alex Keaton?
    **************************************

They dont have AC in the mobile home estates MR…we know you are lying…again

• Silverandblack666

“Broncos favored by 3??!?!?”

The over under is 40

So basically Vegas says Broncos win 21-17

I say 31-17 Raiders I take the 3 points and the over.

• Method To My Madness

901.Sullivan44 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:11 pm
    My prediction for Monday’s game, btw.

Denver 24
    Raiders 17.

2) The Raiders haven’t won in week one since 2002.

***********************************

• Method To My Madness

905.RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:17 pm

***

Hopefully BCZ sees this comment and goes apespit on ya

the D-Line was a strength last year. where ya been, ROG?

ShoNasty + Houston = solid base DE combo for the next 10 years. Print That

situational pass rushers Scott & Moss as depth = fine by me

*************************

Our starting DEs arent quick enough around the edge….Dline was cool but not great…dont let that crap fool ya

• Thec07

Method To My Madness Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:04 pm
    Thec…..riveting stuff yesterday with MR and his consistent lying…….too funny how you broke him down then he ran to a different angle of last two years lol….gosh you reminded me of me when it comes to thrashing him……notice how he cant or wont respond to me….its the ultimate white flag….I’ve ended any confidence he has in debating his points
    ++++++

first off you know my MO… I like to keep the peace with my RAIDER Brethren….I like to ignore the guy as he reminds me of a fly that keeps buzzing around…
    Had to check him, as he was saying some outlandish Ish…Back peddling swinng the whole nine…

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

ROG – You holding pat on TONGA as your MUP?

The Raiders do need to get Reece out of there on goaline and short yardage situations.

I still got faith in Hue coming up with a solution to that problem, he’s creative enough!

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Sullivan44 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:11 pm
    My prediction for Monday’s game, btw.

Denver 24
    Raiders 17.

2) The Raiders haven’t won in week one since 2002.

________________________________________

If we only had Gradkowski!

• Raiders for life

Big Ted
    I need to change my MUP pick.
    I’m gonna go with Jerome Boyd so I don’t jinx anyone else.

***

We all know that MR is a hater, but the Raiders do have a tendency to play down to the competition and shoot themselves in the foot with wild penalties and/or turnovers

all the more reason to limit that crap and cramming the rock down thier throats without mercy. not as many false starts or holds. less chance for a forced fumble or interception

• http://www.tedhendricks.com/Ted_vs_Montana.jpg BigTed707

****************

I gotta’ disagree – I’m still judging these guys based on last seasons production. Don’t let the presea fool ya’.

• Method To My Madness

912.BigTed707 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:22 pm
    ROG – You holding pat on TONGA as your MUP?

***********************

Still keep him….never know if reece tweaks an ankle

• HairyBush

Not shocked about Garrard, Just surprised they did it at the time they did. Oh well, I’ll stick with soup.

• Thec07

BigTed707 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:22 pm
    ROG – You holding pat on TONGA as your MUP?

+++++++++

continue to groom tonga ge him ready… the added dimension of a SMASHER is needed…total change of pace…I want to see DMAC getting the ball on 1st and Goal…He is playing for keeps he can blow up LB’s in the paint…

• purvisman

Just two weeks again he said we owuld lose by 14 now its 7 lol……MR just pitiful….but of course you would predict us to lose….how bout predicting your first time being with a woman???????????????????????????????????????????She’s a lesbian?

• HairyBush

raiderjhawk Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:09 pm
    I think Seattle takes a shot at him, have you heard T. Jackson speak? The guy has a hard enough time putting a sentence together let alone a decent drive down the field. Hard telling how he learns the playbook.

——————-
    exactly

• HairyBush

Tardvaris Jackson isn’t exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Method To My Madness

916.BigTed707 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:26 pm

****************

********************************

no RDE that can get 12 sacks and constantly harrass the qb

Kelly sucks and Houston is really a DT

Seymour is cool but has to get doubled when he should be the UT going against the RG one on one

I just dont see it unless we blitz….and 9 sacks came from Wimbley

new post ladies

• GoodOle00

913. RMR U sick ****

• fingers

Raiders 38…. Donks 17….

BigTed707 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Our starting DEs are quick enough around the edge….Dline was cool and great…dont let that crap fool ya

# fingers Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Raiders 3…. Donks 27….

# raiderjhawk Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I think Seattle takes a shot at him, have you seen T. Jackson play? The guy is going to be a big time QB. Hard telling just how good he really is by looking but he will surprise.

# HairyBush Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Not shocked about Garrard, Just surprised they did it at the time they did. Oh well, he’s better then soup.

# HairyBush Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Tardvaris Jackson is the sharpest tool in the shed.

hec07 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Method To My Madness Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:04 pm
    ++++++

first off you know my MO… I like to keep it straight with my RAIDER Brethren…because I am smarter about the Raiders then you guys are.I like to listen to the guy as he reminds me of me, as he was saying some outlandish Ish…Back peddling swinng the whole nine…

# Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 12:57 pm

“Gambling” sites blocked at work – anybody know the line on the Raiders-Broncos game?

Bronco’s are favored by 30

# RedneckRaider Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Broncos favored by 30??!?!?

I’m going to put SO much money on this game. Good thing Friday is payday.

# Method To My Madness Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:20 pm

905.RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:17 pm
    I think Orton will get massive yards vs us…..I dont likethe pass rush at all….Shaughnessy isnt a RDE and Lamarr doesnt seem quick enough on the edge. I’m not confident in Kelly vs the RG…sorry

***

Hopefully BCZ sees this comment and goes apespit on ya

the D-Line was a strength LAST year. where ya been, ROG?Oh that was last year forgot we suck now!

ShoNasty + Houston = solid base DE combo for the next 10 years. Print That

situational pass rushers Scott & Moss as depth = fine by me

*************************

Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 10:58 am

J-Raider is another MR guys!!!!

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 7:58 am

McFadden has demanded a trade!!!!!!!!!!!

• Pingback: Raiders’ ‘Bully’ Has Some Wheels, Too | Dinosaur Tires & Wheels

# Thec07 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

RAIDER NATION…The Raiders will go after anything with 2 legs…..What a joke!

• Pingback: diamond plate

• Pingback: free bubble shooter

• Pingback: Shop Tim Tebow Gifts

• Pingback: camtocam

• Pingback: beats by dre lamborghini

• Pingback: bed manchester