Do the Raiders go after veteran QB Garrard?

Raiders coach Hue Jackson said upon waiving veteran Trent Edwards on Saturday that he is content with Jason Campbell and Kyle Boller as the only quarterbacks on his 53-man roster.
That was before the Jacksonville Jaguars released veteran quarterback David Garrard on Tuesday, less than a week before the regular-season opener.
Jackson says he checks into every free agent, especially those that might be able to help the Raiders. Few would argue against Garrard being able to help the Raiders.
Garrard, 33, could give the Raiders the third quarterback they are without, push Boller for the backup spot and help mentor rookie quarterback Terrelle Pryor along the way.
Some might make the case of starting Garrard ahead of Campbell, who turns 30 in December. We’re not going that route, for the Raiders are too close to the season to make a change, and Campbell is far more versed in this offense, naturally,
In fact, Garrard had a better season than Campbell last season and has better career stats than Campbell, as well. That’s irrelevant in this discussion, though.
What matters is, Jackson said he is interested in making any move that makes the Raiders better and gives them a chance to win more games. Signing Garrard meets those criteria.
The Raiders already have made two roster moves since they first cut down to 53 players on Saturday. Garrard should be their next move.
Best case, Campbell plays well the entire season, and Garrard sits on the bench collecting a check for $1 million or so. Insurance policies aren’t cheap, you know.
Under that scenario, Jackson has the peace of mind knowing he has another experienced quarterback to call upon if necessary. Remember, Jackson bailed on Campbell midway through Oakland’s second game last season.
At that time, he had Bruce Gradkowski to turn to. Right now, he has only Boller. Come Week 6, he also would have Pryor. It says here, Jackson would feel a lot better seeing Garrard on the sideline in a Raiders uniform, as well.

Steve Corkran

• J Hill

Satele look like a completely different player this year.

Not saying the guy is a pro bowler, yet, but I have no problem with him at C to start the season.

• Just Fire Baby

You really took that as an opportunity to put in a Savage plug?

*****************************

Bet your azz!!!

Did you see the stats?

The guys “numbers” are vastly inferior to those of Mankins, Evans and Oher.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 6:55 pm
    I think believing that Wiz can transform to a NFL center is not a given.

He has played 11 games at C, HIS WHOLE LIFE. Before this preseason, it had been 18 months since he played C in a game.

Obviously, he is much more comfortable as a guard, and that just might be where he stays and bangs out a few Pro Bowls over his career.
    ——————————–
    That works for me.

• High on Raiders

But Al Davis is more concerned about being right than having the best player on the field, so I still need a little help with the pet player theory.

————————

Seriously? You need help on that? You do not have to dig deep. It is there.

DHB
    JaMarcuss
    D’Angelo
    Justin Fargus (sweated out those years)
    Marc Wilson
    Harvey Williams
    There are a bunch. Trust me.

• RaiderLen

J Hill Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 6:58 pm
    Satele look like a completely different player this year.

——————————————-
    I’ll take your word for it J.

I don’t do the homework in the “film room”

I just don’t get the sense He’s the guy long term.

• Method To My Madness

How is it blah blah blah Kell? They are soft

• TerrapinRaider

I can’t be in here too long. I’ll just say this.

* Denver will be tougher than they were last year. I think we have a great chance of winning but its not going to be as easy as before. Fox is a better coach.

* Offense will be great. Defense still concerns me some. Not the run defense as much as the pass defense and especially on 3rd downs. If you notice we often had teams in a 3rd and long situation in the preseason which, among other things, says were playing decent/good run defense but we gave it up on 3rd down.

* DHB will have a pretty solid season. Right now, I don’t think he will have a 1000yd season, more like 800, for the simple fact that Hue will use A LOT of players in his attack. So it won’t matter a great deal who starts. Sure he will get a major portion of the snaps but Hue/Saunders will rotate almost all of he wides. This is not your traditional offense where you have 1 star RB and 1 star WR with 1 OK/good #2WR. You have weapons everywhere that can be used. The only player that will get a sht load of run is DMC. Thats it as far as I have it measured.

• Method To My Madness

Kell how bout we meet face to face….let’s hear the blah blah schit then….coward

• 89052RAIDER

Why can’t you stay terrapin? Working on your thesis with BHP?

• llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    :mrgreen:

[..]Coach Davis also thinks some posters in here need to chill […………………………………..]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Like Kool Kell and Beechum/Mr. Dudes need to mellow out. Take a chill pill, relax, ease up. Go bust a nut.

:mrgreen:

• TerrapinRaider

You guys have to look at it from this perspective when it comes to playing Denver: They will try to spread us out and expose the 3rd CB.

Last year we had Nnam, Routt and CJ coming off the bench. That was probably the most talented backfield in the league. 3 of the top cover corners in the league. With Nnam leaving that weakens the bench. So you no longer have the luxury that you once had.

I think Routt will hold up just fine. CJ will be OK. But I’m not sure DVD is ready. Too light and they will try to muscle him underneath. He will stick with them but I think he will likely trial in the slot. So they will have to rely on Huff, who can cover, but will he be that good?

• :mrgreen:

• Method To My Madness

Satele is average at best…he wont do nada vs good DTs

• Method To My Madness

Kell bust a nut? Incapable of such a feat

• Method To My Madness

I can take satele at center for time being bbut Cooper? Hell no

• TerrapinRaider

I’m not worried about Denvers run game. I’m worried about Orton spreading us out and completing a ton of short passes. No game is given.

This will be one helluva victory if they win. That confidence will carry over to Buffalo and then NYJ where they will be ultra inspired in the first home game.

It all starts in Denver.

• Kirk

Thank God the head bob is gone.

I really think that helped defenses time the snap count.

• RaiderLen

Heard Gregg Papa call B Campbell a beast on the radio today.

He said once he locks on, that it’s over.

Said, he was hindered by the knee injury, and got behind in the competition.

Campbell I believe, will see the field this year, and play some meaningfull minutes.

• TerrapinRaider

outtro

• Method To My Madness

Kell……any cut and paste episodes today?

• Method To My Madness

Terp thanks for nothing

• GoodOle00

511. We run their smallish D over. Eat the clock score TDs and keep Orton off the field.

• RaiderLen

Raiders: 32

Donks: 17

This happens if the team plays smart and composed.

• Kirk

522.GoodOle00 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 7:26 pm

………………………………………………

That’s actually a great strategy. If we try to pass, I think Denver’s defensive line is going to kill Jason Campbell.

• personal foul

454.EMRaiders Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 6:30 pm
    Are we guessing the score for Monday???

Then put me down for OAK 23 DEN 21

Once again, we win with a Jano kick in mile high for 55 yds at the end of the 4th with 1:02 left on the clock.

#######################################################

I will take the win any way we can get it, but based on memories of the last few years leaving a minute on the clock for ANYBODY makes me shudder.

• Sullivan44

Method To My Madness Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Kell how bout we meet face to face….let’s hear the blah blah schit then….coward

……..

Blah blah blah.

• Damn, it’s been almost 15 minutes since Bootlickers last post. WOW!

• rob_raider

J Hill Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 6:57 pm
    September 6th, 2011 at 6:38 pm
    I wonder why his other project Bruce Campbell is still on the bench?

****************************

Because unlike DHB, Campbell has a top-notch performer playing in front of him.

—————————————————–

You really took that as an opportunity to put in a Savage plug?

****************************

why are u guys like little kids? if dhb is being “forced” to be the starter, it’s not b/c al wants to prove he’s right. it’s b/c al wants him to have a chance to prove himself and develop. if they have decided he is the one w/ the most talent, they are going to want to give him opportunities to succeed.

• R8derdiehard

Some of you guys kill me with your bickering it’s good to have an opinion but c’mon guys can’t we all just hit a bong

• dondiraider

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! The jags would rather start Luke Mc
    Clown….been there done that! Go get Briggs AL!!!

• hwnrdr

Good Evening Nation!

• UCLA Raiders

Cut Boller immediately and sign Gerrard.

• hwnrdr

I know there is no practice today but seriously? No news? Besides Garrard? Can’t wait for Monday night! Have a few beers then sleep it off! Next morning…Oakland Airport…to Hawaii!

• Silverandblack666

“why are u guys like little kids? if dhb is being “forced” to be the starter, ”

Because it should be Hue Jackson’s job to say who starts and who is 2nd string. All the owner is doing by meddling is showing the players who’s boss and Hue will start to lose his team.

Is it really that hard to understand?

• 529.R8derdiehard Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 7:49 pm

————————-

There are only 2 bloggers in here that bicker. That would be KK (the angry blogger for some reason blames Al Davis for his misery) and MR and his 45 or so aliases.

• Method To My Madness

KoolKell Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 7:42 pm
    Damn, it’s been almost 15 minutes since Bootlickers last post. WOW!
    *******************************

Too bad you cant control your bowels that long eh DrippyKell?

• Method To My Madness

Sullivan44 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 7:41 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Kell how bout we meet face to face….let’s hear the blah blah schit then….coward

……..

Blah blah blah.
    *******************************

Yeah thats what we hear when you have lied and said you have had sex with a live breathing woman

• Method To My Madness

Hwnrdr Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 8:05 pm
    ***********************

Lucky mthafka…I’d be down to go to Maui and knock somethin down at the Whalers Village but i need to check out Oahu

• Plunketthead Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 5:54 pm
    CarolinaRaider -> RAIDERS 42-24 YOU heard it here first!
    The Big Banana –> Raiders 24-13
    JLofty -> Raiders 35 Donkeys 31
    Don Manouk-> Raiders 42-10
    Chris in NY->Raiders 35, Donkeys 10
    Ryan Raiders 38 Donkeys 10
    Silverandblack666 Raiders 31 Bronco’s 17
    Dakota Raiders 42 Broncos 30
    RedneckRaider Raiders 29 Donks 17
    BigTed Raiders 30-24
    r8eray Raiders 24 Donks 17
    RaiderRockstar Raiders 38 Donks 24
    SilverAndBlackBleeder Oak37 Den21/McFadden/Bush 280 APY
    exlaraiderseasonticketholder Raiders 31-27
    DeuceDeuce Raiders – 34 Broncos – 31
    909RaiderLifer RAIDERS 17——-DONKEYS 13……….
    LTR Raiders 23 – Broncos 17

R8derdiehard 20-10 Oakland wins
    R8dercain -> Raiders 35 broncos 14

• 504 Raider

Here is the 504 game prediction:

Raiders 31
    Donkeys 10

DMac: 145 yds rushing 2 TDs, 55 yds rec.
    Bush: 75 yds rushing, 35 yds rec.
    J Ford: 90 yds rec 1 TD, 45 yds rush (on a reverse).
    K Barnes: 2 yds rec 1 TD.
    Jano: 39 yd FG.
    J Campbell: 19-32 270 yds 2 TD 0 int.
    C Schilens: 2 receptions and 1 knee sprain.

• Method To My Madness

Woooooooo….fellas I love the confidence but I highly doubt we hang 500 yards on this team again…..400 I can see but prolly 350 is what we will have

• hwnrdr

B@uce…Oahu is just a tad bit wilder!

• ohioraider

J Hill Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I know you might not want to hear this, but OBVIOUSLY DHB is starting because the coaches think he is the best person at this time.
    ———————————
    You think that personnel decisions are completely fair and rational, and that Davis doesn’t overrule the coaches whenever he damn well pleases? Interesting perspective.

• No Mas Diamante

r8dercain – Oakland Raiders 44, Denver Bronco’s 24..

• GoodOle00

524, Right on

• uglyorc

After using their 2012 3rd round pick on Pryor, I say no on Gerrard. Really too late to replace Campbell or even Boller for 2011. I doubt Gerrard signs anything but a one year deal this year. He’ll want to compete for a starting job somewhere next year. If Campbell doesnt work this year, you’ll have Vince Young, Gerrard and some more guys available next year.

• dvrick

# Thec07 Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

RAIDER NATION…The Raiders will go after anything with 2 legs…..What a joke!