Raiders coach Hue Jackson not sleeping, thinking about Bills

Raiders coach Hue Jackson waited one month and one day for his first NFL victory of any kind. That it came in Oakland’s regular-season opener certainly takes away the sting of losing all four exhibition games.
Yet, one could hardly tell that Jackson had just guided the Raiders to their first season-opening victory since 2002, their first win in a Monday night game in eight tries and the first prime-time victory in 12 games.
“I haven’t slept, the (postgame) meal was horrible, I’ve been watching Buffalo, so I don’t feel good right now because (the Bills) beat the team that they played really badly,” Jackson said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. “Right now I’ve got some issues and I have to address them. It will take me probably until Sunday to feel good again.”

*Chief among those issues are:
Reducing the penalties. The Raiders committed 15 infractions for 131 yards in their 23-20 victory over the Denver Broncos on Monday night.
The penalties were of a wide variety, with eight coming on offense, six on defense and one on special teams. The Raiders surged into the lead in defense of the titles they captured last season for leading the league in penalties and yards penalized.
They are four penalties ahead of the co-runners-up and 29 yards ahead of the runner-up 49ers. By comparison, the New York Jets played penalty-free football against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night.
“When we get really good, we’re not going to talk about penalties in this room,” Jackson said. “That’s not going to be the issue. … I’ve got to get the curse stopped. Just like we broke the Monday night curse, I’ve got to get this one turned the other way, and that’s going to take time.”
It might take all season, Jackson admitted, but the seemingly never-ending problem will get solved.
“I’m not here to tell you it’s going to stop next week or the week after, but I want you to know and I want our fans to know that we’re working at it,” Jackson said. “I’m not just going to just sweep it under the carpet and say, ‘OK, it is what it is,’ because we won the game. I don’t think that’s right. There’s 15 – too many penalties for this football team. And it starts with me, down through our coaches to our players. We have to get this corrected and we will.”

*Finding some success in the passing game. Quarterback Jason Campbell completed 13 passes against the Broncos. Problem is, those 13 passes netted only 105 yards and only one traveled more than 9 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.
It wasn’t for lack of effort, Jackson said.
“Well, we tried,” Jackson said. “Whether there was a miscue here or a miscue there, it didn’t happen. That’s the truth to the matter. It’s something we’ve got to get better at, there’s no question. We need to get better in that area and we’ll continue to work hard at it.”

*Finding potential replacements for wide receiver Jacoby Ford (hamstring) and free safety Michael Huff (groin).
Both players suffered injuries against the Broncos, and they weren’t able to finish the game. Jackson isn’t sure about the severity of the injuries.

*Jackson can take solace in knowing that Matt Giordano is available if Huff can’t play against the Bills on Sunday.
The seasoned veteran intercepted a pass against the Broncos, forced a fumble and nearly recovered a fumble on another play.
All this despite being waived by the Raiders when the roster was cut down to 53 players, only to be re-signed a few days later.
“The day we cut him, I had a great conversation with him in my office,” Jackson said. “I wasn’t going to be surprised if he showed back up here and neither was he. He told me this was a a place he wanted to be if he could get back.
“I’ve competed against him on other teams. He’s a tremendous football player. When he got cut the numbers just didn’t add up for him. Obviously, after going back through the roster it did. I’m glad to have him back. He made some tremendous football plays, he’s a tremendous football player.”

*The Raiders used running back Darren McFadden in the Wildcat formation on the first play from scrimmage against the Broncos. Don’t be surprised if you see it again this season, Jackson said.
McFadden pitched the ball to Ford, who bobbled the ball before being tackled near the line of scrimmage. That was the end of the experiment Monday.
“We might see a little bit of everything,” Jackson said. “I keep telling you, we’re not going to be a vanilla offensive football team. We’re going to continue to grow and get better.”

*The players were off Tuesday, so there wasn’t any media access. Beat writer Jerry McDonald wasn’t able to make it to the Raiders locker room after the game Monday night because of deadline issues. Therefore, we’re leaning on Jackson today, with a few quotes culled from the Broncos public relations department.
The Raiders return to practice Wednesday morning. Yes, morning. The Raiders play the Bills on Sunday at 1 p.m. EDT, so Jackson is beginning practices at 10 a.m. PDT to correspond with the starting time of the game.
He employed a similar strategy in practice last week, switching to night practices as a means of getting his players accustomed to playing at night.
“I’m going to do everything I can to put this team in the best opportunity to win a game,” Jackson said. “Will we practice in the morning? You better believe we will. And we’ll start early and we’ll prepare ourselves to play at the time we’re going to play in Buffalo. And that’s what we’ll do. And our guys understand it, and they’re looking forward to it.”

*Jackson said he didn’t have an update on the status of tight end Kevin Boss and backup safety Mike Mitchell. Both players missed the Broncos game because of knee injuries.

*Sebastian Janikowski kicked a field goal from 70 yards in pre-game warm-ups Monday night. Based on how he felt, he told Jackson that he felt comfortable from 65 yards in the game.
Jackson said he wasn’t thinking about whether Janikowski would make the 63-yarder he attempted just before halftime.
“I have had people text me, ‘Coach, there was no emotion on your face,’ ” Jackson said. “What for? I knew the guy was going to make it. There’s no doubt. I was thinking what we were going to do at halftime.”
Janikowski said tying or breaking the NFL record — he tied Tom Dempsey and Jason Elam — was one of three goals he had when he entered the league in 2000. Playing for 10 seasons and winning a Super Bowl are the two other goals.
Two down, one to go, he said.
“To be honest, I didn’t hit it that good,” Janikowski said after the game. “It barely got over the bar.”
Campbell said the Raiders weren’t concerned about running the ball so much on the final drive of the half because they were confident that they could get within Janikowski’s range without risking an interception.
“We see that in practice all the time,” Campbell said after the game. “This guy kicks 65-, 70-yard field goals. We knew if we could set him up on the right hash, his preference, it gives him the opportunity to kick that field goal.”

*Credit offensive coordinator Al Saunders for prompting Jackson to throw the red challenge flag on the Broncos fumble that was awarded to the Raiders after a review.
Jackson wasn’t sure whether to throw the flag until a replay surfaced that showed definitive evidence of the ball coming out before the runner’s knee hit the ground.
“The replay wasn’t being shown,” Jackson said. “Then, at the last second, as they were breaking the huddle, and I was starting to sweat a little bit, trying to get this replay because, obviously, we can’t see anything down there, he goes, ‘Hue, the ball’s out, throw it.’ And we worked as a team.”

*Third-year receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey led the Raiders with four receptions for 44 yards Monday night. Several times, he turned third-down plays into first downs.
Jackson said Heyward-Bey is just scratching the surface of what he can do as a receiver.
“No, I don’t think so,” Jackson said, when asked if this was Heyward-Bey’s best game as a pro. “I know we talk about DHB a lot, but DHB made some clutch plays last night. I don’t think it was his best game. I know what you’re thinking, when he caught it and ran with the ball. No, that’s Darrius. Darrius is playing football the way he can play. … I expect more from him. There’s a lot more in there. … He’s truly coming on.”

*Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• raidertay

Doing some scouting this morn. Looks like Buffalo’s secondary is really beat up right now. This will be a big game for JCampbell.

• morilla

388.morilla Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 8:59 am
    It was Foster, Rice and the Eagles back ( forget his name).
    ******************
    Foster was out, its Ben Tate, Ray Rice, and Lesean McCoy. DMAC didnt score which is why he isnt considered, its not biased. Ray Rice deserves it, he put up 108 on the ground and 50+ receiving and 2 scores against the Steelers defense.
    ———-

Whoops, it was early and didn’t have my coffee yet. Still asleep.

• bcz24

Although romac whiffed on a couple of tackles,
    *****************
    He has to stop trying to lay the highlight reel ‘hitstick’ shot on people and form tackle.

• Silverandblack666

My prediction for next weeks game in Buffalo is JC chucks the ball 35-40 times because Hue wants to show everyone that this passing game will fly.

The running game will not show up until the second half because of our aerial show and we will win in a close game by 3 points.

• M Lonetree

Dakota,

somehow you survived the trudge into donkeymania. Good.

two consecutive fumbles by donk receivers on their final touchdown drive – either one recovered by the Raiders and the lights would’ve been turned out on the game.
    so, from my view the donks should’ve scored zero TDs. blatant holding on the punt return and those fumbles going straight back to the fumbler on each occasion.

Baby Long Worthy only has to go 10-5 from here on out. piece of cake.

• M Lonetree

The Carcass City Chumps averaged 6 yards per carry against the Buffies.

• J Hill

369.CanuckRaider Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 8:38 am

Hey…Just remembered…Did you hear Gruden say sh#t on air during the first game Monday night? Too funny.

——————————————————

Cursing is flat out allowed on TV now. Penalties must be non existant.

Watch this show called Suits, and the say BS, biotch, dick, and a few other “did he really just say that’s”.

I’m used to it now.

• M Lonetree

Bcz,

Romac – zero tackles, one assist

• Silverandblack666

Bcz24

who are you and why are you always in other peoples conversations. Yes I made a mistake with George Wilson but you suckling up to mystic like he is your prag is kind of weak sauce.

• MikieG

# priesttj Says:
    September 13th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Al Saunders and Hue are very very serious about putting together a dominant team when you hav eguys like Ford DHB and Moore beating their man and the ball is not their it’s unacceptable……….period

If JC wants to win a SB he has got to change his ways………..period
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Totally agree with you, they call certain plays for a reason, because they see something, and if the QB is not hitting the open receiver on a play that was set up from 2 series ago, then they are going to have a conversation with JC…he cannot keep doing that. I have played alot of football, and I have heard NUMEROUS times our QB coach tell our QB “Wrong Guy” regardless if the pass was completed..
    Hue and Saunders are looking for the ball to go to a specific player based on looks that they showed the Defense 2 quarters ago..Its all a chess match, and JC keeps taking the easy way out. I have confidence he will get there. These coaches won’t allow anything less.

• guest123

I’m not really understanding what the quick throws to the flat give us if the safeties are crowding down us to stop the run anyway. These type of plays tend to bottle up the offense both passing and running lanes.

We need to continue to take shots 20 yards plus down the field, even if they are incomplete. The lanes open up on the next play and you get the gashing runs up the middle. Gotta keep taking shots.

Now I am concerned with JCamp’s horrible deep throws. I have to hope it had something to do with the wet weather. I sure hope he practices deep throws till his arm falls off. He needs to develop chemistry with the receivers and put it into tighter windows.

We can’t abandon the long pass, regardless of how many are dropped or even intercepted.

• Thec07

++++++++

Absolutism…. We need to have a mix of it all…

• Silverandblack666

As it stands right now we are #2 in rushing on offense and our run D is #1.

• J Hill

Must of been the beer and herb.

——————————————————

I know what you’re saying!

• guest123

I’m not impressed with RoMac’s demeanor. He’s the QB back there and needs to keep his head. He’s too much of a hothead, and it cost us. He needs to check his ego at the door till the game is won. I doubt he’s thinking about the next play or sequence while going on one of his temper tirades. He needs to get his head right.

• bcz24

409.Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:27 am
    Bcz24

**********************
    WTF are you talking about jackass? 1. Mistic made a post on a public blog that you commented on, how am I butting into your conversation? 2. This is a public discussion between a lot of people, dont get your panties in a bunch because I called you out with the same tone that you called mistic out with. Dont dish it out if you cant take it back.

• Dakota

McClain had that one nice pass breakup down the field.

He is what he is….and that ain’t great yet. Still hope for him to at least become as good as Morrison.

• Method To My Madness

Dakota kirk was never good at MLB…wasnt even intimidating

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:14 am

“Playing in buffalo has been a house of horrors over the years, I think it will be different this year.

1.) buffalo will stack the box (DUH its what every team will do against us we have the best RB tandem in the league)

2.) They dont have whitner at safety, and i dont think they really upgraded or even have an adequate replacement. (Yes they do his name is Jairus Byrd and he had a good game last week)

3.) Our speed at receiver will force them to back out of the box. (RIGHT the 109 yards we had in passing last week will scare them real bad!)

4.) Fred jackson and spiller have not become a great tandem. (DUH its the first game of the season and KC has a better run D than pass D)

5.) Fitzpatrick is being over sold. (every Raider fan can only wish JC had Fitzpatricks numbers last week so stop your lying)”

Your such a wanna be!
    ===============================

Stop trying to bite my style, and get off my nuts.

Buffalo safeties need to prove to me that they can be as good against the run as whitner, there is no insult attached to this statement.

The deep routes from our offense forced the safeties back last week, why do you think the run game opened up the way it did? did you watch the game? You clearly dont understand what you are looking at if you did. then again you probably dont understand much of anything.

spiller barely had any touches last year, because he couldnt pick up blitzes and was a major disappointment. jackson is not special, he is an over achiever. we should be able to handle them.

Both qbs’ won their games, and led the team on scoring drives. Both qbs executed their game plans. the difference in the yardage totals is only important to fantasy football guys.

• bcz24

• M Lonetree

funniest sequence on Mon night was Orton badly misfiring on a third down pass and two of his o-linemen being called for holding on the same play.

• Dakota

418.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:33 am
    Dakota kirk was never good at MLB…wasnt even intimidating
    ++++++++++++++

I know…..still hope McClain can even attain THAT level!

• guest123

A lot of people on the East Coast are beating their chest that Buffalo is gonna smoke the Raiders. They point to the 10AM game, long cross country trip, etc. They point to the beatdown they gave the Cheifs. They point to the Vegas line.

I don’t see it, but I don’t want to delude myself either. They ain’t bad, I’ll allow that. But these are the Buffalo Bills, not some playoff team. They always suck. Why is everyone treating them that special?

• fingers

The Raiders gave The Donks 6 extra first downs due to penalties…. That’s a lot of free plays ( as many as 24)..that game shouldn’t have been as close as it was… If the Raiders cut down the flags our offense is on the field instead of wearing out the defense…which was awsome Monday night… Good things are possible this season

Raiders 27……. Bills 17…

• Silverandblack666

“Stop trying to bite my style,”

I OWN YOU!

I told you yesterday all day that we failed at throwing the ball and you proclaimed that we were not trying to throw the ball.

It wasn’t until the Hue Jackson interview was published last night that you were proved to be wrong by our coach who admitted the passing game was a failure last week and needed work.

Now insert some lame comment by your prag Bcz24 like I am rubber you are glue……

• J Hill

410.MikieG Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:28 am
    # priesttj Says:
    September 13th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

If JC wants to win a SB he has got to change his ways………..period
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

——————————————————-

Agreed!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

silver and crack you are wrong as usual, you never know what the hell your talking about. Dont be upset at the rest of us because you suck, hire a shrink and blame your parents.

• Method To My Madness

422.Dakota Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:34 am
    418.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:33 am
    Dakota kirk was never good at MLB…wasnt even intimidating
    ++++++++++++++

I know…..still hope McClain can even attain THAT level!

************************

RoBeast way better than Kirk

• J Hill

Still hope for him to at least become as good as Morrison.

——————————————————-

Ha ha ha …muthafuhggin HA!

• Silverandblack666

“Thats hilarious… why am I in other peoples conversations? WTf… if you dont like people getting in your convos dont comment on a public forum moron.”

If you want to play little kids games and try justifying it because this is a Blog then go ahead I really don’t care it obviously bothers you prag and your still babbling about it.

I see it here all day long someone posts something then 5 people attack the post with the angry mob mentality.

Get off my nuts and go back to suckling mystic he seems to like it.

• Method To My Madness

423.guest123 Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:35 am

*********************

They are afraid man

• inonewordraider

guest123 Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:31 am

I want every Raider to be a hot head, just don’t get caught ie no hits to the opponents face

• Silverandblack666

“silver and crack you are wrong as usual,”

I can go back to yesterdays posts and re-post them if you want me to!

Is that what you would like me to do.

I OWN YOU!!!

• guest123

They are afraid man

*************

Hell, they even bring up the weather. LMAO

what is the difference in weather in Buffalo to Oakland in the month of September?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:37 am

“Stop trying to bite my style,”

I OWN YOU!

Now insert some lame comment by your prag Bcz24 like I am rubber you are glue……
    =========================

i have no idea what a prag even is, im guessing this is where you start talking that gey ish you normally do. stop telling on yourself.

I said the game plan was to run, and take a few shots down field. i was right as evidenced by the low number of 22 pass attempts. HU jack saying that we need to improve doesnt refute what i said in any way. In fact I agree with hu jack, he needs to continue to prod JC and the rest of the team to get better. no where did i read Hu jack claim the passing game was a “failure”, or that his qb failed.

In fact he offered this on his qb

“Jason is the leader of this offensive football team and they follow him. I send subliminal messages through the mic to him, but he gives the guys in that huddle what he wants to give them. He was able to urge that group on to finish the game and that’s what this is all about. You have to as a quarterback get guys to play at a higher level and he was able to do that. They finished the game the way we hope to finish every game – in victory formation.” –HU Jack on the play of JC vs denver

Again hu jack saw what i saw, a solid performance in adverse conditions an a hostile environment, and there is always room for improvement.

What is your point/damage?

• fingers

Guest123… The media won’t give the Raiders any props … The Raiders will just have to keep winning and improving and force the media to have to give them credit…Beating the Bills problably still won’t be enough but the Bills are one of the kinds of games the Raiders need to win to start getting credit … It will come but it’s gonna take a lot for Ex donkeys like Tom Jackson to say anything good about the Raiders..

Just Win!…. Raiders!

• MikieG

# inonewordraider Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:43 am

guest123 Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:31 am

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know what you are saying, but we can’t have it both ways with this Build a Bully Mantra (which I think is absurd, but I digress..)RoMac thought he was getting punked…probably from 3 or 4 plays before that..He thought the time was nigh to take a stand. You either get pushed around or you do the pushing, and if you wanna be the bully, your gonna have to take the heat when you get caught, plain and simple..
    I have no problem with him not taking any isht from those clowns in orange who were just waiting to lay down and cry..

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

It will be cold in Buff. this weekend. 50′s. Bush will be RB, Mac out of the slot. Spread the D and concour.
    Raiders win 31/13.

• McRaider5150

Look, I like Jason Campbell and I will support him as a Raider, but lets stop blamming the recievers for not getting open. If you watch the games, you see WR open all day long. You don’t need 5 yards to be considered Open. Look at some of the elite QB’s. They throw their receivers open. That also allow their receivers to make plays.If you put DHB on the Pats, Packers, or Saints. he catches 70 balls for 1300+.

Jason doesn’t trust himself right now. Also if you can run like we did Monday, why throw it?

• http://www.aldavisshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

Who says I own you on a blog??
    Arguing with the number one Glo apologist?
    You will never own anything.
    Myst lives in his own bubble of his own making, kind of a dark one from what Ive noticed, but never the less, why even bother arguing with him/her.

• oaktown1

Now every team knows Janikowski prefers to kick from the right hash.

• Pingback: die cast fast

• Pingback: save properties

• Pingback: hi i found this site very catchy take a look at this

• Pingback: dotmetal.com.ua