Campbell says DHB has had it rough but his confidence at all-time high

Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell has spent most of his football career trying to prove he deserves to be a starter. Hence, it’s no surprise that he is sympathetic to the criticism heaped upon wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey during the first two years of his NFL career.
Through it all, Heyward-Bey has remained upbeat, put his head down, worked hard and done everything asked of him by his coaches.
“That’s always been the case, ever since I was 14 and started playing,” Heyward-Bey said. “You put in the work, things will eventually start paying off. I’m still working. Monday was just me making plays at the right opportunity to help us win a game, and I am going to continue to do that.”
Finally, he is off to a fast start and in position to silence those who have criticized him for dropped passes, poor route running and lack of production the past two seasons.
“His confidence is at an all-time high since I’ve been here,” Campbell said of Heyward-Bey on Wednesday.
Campbell recounted how Heyward-Bey looked great at practice earlier today and is making strides toward being a consistent performer.
“You outta to have seen his practice today,” Campbell said. “The way the guy was going after balls and catching them. … It’s exciting to see because he has so much speed, he has great size and he can make a lot of plays in this league for us. That’s what we’re looking for. I’m excited about the way he’s playing right now.
Heyward-Bey caught four passes for 44 yards against the Denver Broncos on Monday night, both team-highs. Several of his receptions netted first downs and helped the Raiders control the clock at critical times.
“Everyone has been kind of hard on Darrius, and now he’s getting his turn to show what he can really do.” Campbell said. “This is his third year, and most of the time receivers really come into their own in their third year in the league. It’s exciting to see what he’s doing right now.”

*Tight end Kevin Boss returned to practice for the first time since he suffered a knee injury Aug. 20 in an exhibition game against the 49ers.
He was limited, according to coach Hue Jackson, but that beats not practicing at all. Boss was hopeful of making it back in time for the Broncos game. He now is hopeful that he will play against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.
“It’s getting close,” Boss said. “It’s getting close. I’m really hoping that I can get out there this week.”
Boss watched the Broncos game on TV and said he felt more nervous than when he’s on the field. He is eager to make his Raiders debut and validate the team’s decision to sign him to a long-term contract during trainng camp.
“It’s definitely not the way I planned, coming out here and getting off to the start I wanted,” Boss said. “It’s kind of one of those deals it’s out of my hands. I trust everything will happen for a reason and I’ll get back out there and won’t miss a beat.”

*Free safety Michael Huff, wide receiver Jacoby Ford and defensive tackle Richard Seymour were among the five players who missed practice Wednesday.
Jackson said he will update the status of his injured players as the week progresses. For now, he isn’t saying whether he expects any of them to play.
It doesn’t look good for safety Mike Mitchell and receiver Louis Murphy making it back for the Bills game. They, too, missed practice and haven’t worked out with their teammates in several weeks. Jackson said they would need to practice some if they are to play against the Bills.

*Wide receiver Derek Hagan said he was prepared to play against the Denver Broncos on Monday night and that the “minor” calf injury he suffered in practice early last week had nothing to do with him being deactivated.
“It’s good,” Hagan said of his calf. “There really was never nothing wrong with it. I was good to go last week for Monday. I practiced all last week, and the calf’s good and ready to go for Sunday.”
Hagan was informed before the game that he wasn’t among the five wide receivers active for the game — Murphy also wasn’t activated because of his injury.
Obviously, it was a surprise to me being inactive. I was expecting to I was going to come into the game and help contribute to this team. Obviously, they put me down for that game but we got 15 more, and I’m definitely looking forward to the next 15.”
Hagan was Oakland’s most productive receiver during its four exhibition games. Yet, Jackson felt as if the Raiders had a better chance to win with Hagan on the bench.

*The Raiders have had three road games so far this season, including two in the exhibition season. None required more than a two-hour plane ride.
Traveling to Buffalo will require a 5-hour-plus flight and take the Raiders three time zones away from California. No big deal, Jackson said.
“We had this schedule a long time ago, and I know our players had it, and we talked about it this morning,” Jackson said. “We’re not going to let the travel or the accommodations or the food or the elements dictate how we’re going to play. We’re going to go play Raiders football the way we know how to play. We’re not going to get caught up in all of that.”

*Rookie quarterback Terrelle Pryor jogged out to the practice field just as his teammates were ending their practice Wednesday.
It’s part of the life Pryor leads these days, as he winds his way through a five-week suspension. Once again, he worked out on one of the three fields here with someone snapping him the ball, someone catching his passes and a third person overseeing his routine.
No word on the status of his appeal. Until further notice, he is not allowed to practice with his teammates or work under the guidance of anyone from the coaching staff.

*The Raiders attempted only 22 passes against the Broncos. Campbell completed 13 of those throws, with most of them being safe, short routes.
Campbell said there will be times this season when the Raiders open up the passing game. There wasn’t a need against the Broncos because running back Darren McFadden was succeeding in running the ball from the outset.
“A lot of it is based the coverages they were giving,” Campbell said. “And the other part of it was, we didn’t have to take the risk. Because we were running the ball very well, getting 9 or 10 yards a pop. And we were running time off the clock because we had the lead.”

*The Raiders are seeking to begin a season 2-0 for the first time since 2002, when they won their first four games and advanced to the Super Bowl.
They have started 2-0 only four times since 1990 — 1993, ’95, 2000 and ’02. Three of those times, the Raiders qualified for the playoffs.

*As soon as safety Matt Giordano intercepted a pass deep in Raiders territory, kicker Sebastian Janikowski had a feeling he was on the verge of attempting a long field goal.
Little did he know, the field goal he attempted would come from 63 yards away and give him a chance to tie the NFL record set by Tom Dempsey in 1970 and matched by Jason Elam in 1998.
“I know (Jackson’s) going to try a long one,” Janikowski said. “He’d been talking about it all week, that he’s going to give me a chance. Every time we cross the 50-yard line, I warm up anyway because you never know what’s going to happen. But Denver, that’s the different story.”
Sure enough, Jackson summoned Janikowski as time wound down in the first half. Janikowski converted the field goal with little room to spare.
Janikowski said he mishit the ball. So, what might happen if he drilled the ball just right?
“Top end? Maybe like a 74(-yarder),” Janikowski said. “Because I kicked a 70-yarder in warm-ups. Seventy-four, seventy-five, if you swing really hard. That’s probably the top.”
That’s in Denver, at high altitude. At sea level, Janikowski said he is confident he could make a field goal from as far as 68 yards.
Janikowski is thrilled to be tied for the record. However, the 63-yarder doesn’t rank as his best field goal since he joined the Raiders in 2000. That distinction goes to the 61-yarder he nailed in the snow at Cleveland in 2009.
Holder Shane Lechler said there isn’t any secret as to why Janikowski can kick the ball so far.
“Heck, it’s just all leg speed,” Lechler said. “Leg speed and contact. That’s really what it is. It’s really identical to hitting a golf ball. Contact is way more important than how hard you swing.”

*More on the injury front: Jackson said running back Darren McFadden, cornerback Chris Johnson and defensive end Jarvis Moss were limited in practice. Updates won’t be provided until Thursday, at the earliest.

*Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

#495- SPOT ON! The Bills looked good against the Chiefs BUT WHO DOESN’T!? Last year WE sure did! Sullivan44 is used to losing and now seems to enjoy it UNLIKE our 2011 Oakland Raiders who are kids that WANT TO BALL!!! Old men move aside the NEW Raiders are YOUNG, HUNGRY, and TOUGH! Each side of the ball has a player who will punch, lower shoulders, stiff arm, and Smack the ISH out of whoever, I LOVE 2011 Raiders!

• Seymour Bush

rob_raider Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

there is one and only one thing buff has going for them. the whole short week/travel to an east coast early game thing. that’s it.
    ==================================================

I have a very funny feeling that the Oakland Raiders will be there, whenever Boofalo wants, to punch those Boofalo Bill clowns in the grill.

• RaiderLen

RaideredoutL.A. Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 10:20 pm
    Our O barely scratched the surface Monday, I think we all know we’ll open it up more and more as the season progresses. I’m excited to see what happens.
    ——————————–
    There’s an awful lot to work with.

I hope they can get it all dialed in sooner rather than later.

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

Seymour Bush, do get the feeling I get in my post#501? I think this squad will do whatever it takes to win, I know we have a rough road and will experience growing pains but I see Hue’s VISION and it’s not far down the tunnel!

• Seymour Bush

RDRSshwYOURBUSH29 Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Seymour Bush, do get the feeling I get in my post#501?
    ===============================================

Well, there is a lot of work to do. That’s the bad news. The good news is there seems to be some really really nice pieces in place. I like Dmac. He is an absolute superstar. I really like Mike Bush. Talk about a complete player. The WR corp is much better than anyone realizes. DHB is going to be just fine. Don’t worry about that guy.
    All of a sudden, the Oline looks good. Very good. Veldheer and Wiz 2.0, Satele, and the Right side are GOOD.
    And I don’t think I need to say anything about the defense or the Special Teams. They seem to speak for themselves.

• SharkCatcher

I took this from the bills blog
    ———————–
    Posted 13 September 2011 – 12:21 PM

Ok, so I braved the late night game and watched the Raiders closely, and I have a few thoughts on what we need to do to beat them. IN no particular order.

1. Pressure Campbell – We should be able to do this effectively = win
    2. Plug up the holes inside with Our DT’s and win the edge – McFadden runs more for the edge than inside and this is where we need to stop him = win/loss
    3. Dicipline – Raiders looked young and undiciplined last night, and this is a big plus for us, if we stay as diciplined as in the KC game. = win
    4. TE’s will be big in this game as they were in KC. Move the ball around and we will be fine = win
    5. One on one our CB’s match up well with the Raiders, WR’s. This will give us a lot more options with strong nickle packages. = win
    6. Solid tackling will win the day. = win
    7. Turnovers. Keep them down, and we = win

I didn’t see anything last night from Oakland that particularily scared me, other than the Reece/McFadden combo, but I think we have the personell that can take them on. We just need to execute.

My predicition is a Bills win. 27 – 14
    Bills 2 – 0 Vs. New England!
    ———————–
    Ill wait for your replies

• :mrgreen: [………………………….]

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

[]haters turning angry [..] sees Raider team on the rise [..] don’t want [] Raider success

niners are gay [..] if the Oakland Raiders played the ga-niners in regular season this year, they would win

[RAIDERS] on the up swing and haters are going bonkers

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attention Haters:

Oakland 41

Buffalo 17

[..] mack on that……………….or if slurping is your choice, slurp on that.

Seymour,

Agree 100%. I’m just excited about the competitiveness and heart we showed to go along with the togetherness this squad seems to have, we are not quite the polished team to jump into the top 5 or top 10, YET but we have the pieces to make run at the AFC west title as long as we stay disciplined and play smart.

• :mrgreen:

Raiders will emasculate bills in front of home town crowd.

:mrgreen:

:mrgreen: haters can slurp on that :mrgreen:

• PlunkforHOF

JB Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:28 pm
    priesttj Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

You guys need to stop allowing MR and his 19 personalities to cause you to get angry. This is his M.O> come in here find any reeason whatsoever to cause doubt and blame Al Davis for anything he can. If you continue to respond to his anti-Raider anti-coach anti_Al Davis rants then youare at fault.

Because that is all he lives for…… you give him (breath) when you oppose him.
    **********************

Unfortunately this is true. Too bad these Schit-disturbers can so easily distract the valid contributors on this blog. By simply taking the other side of virtually every issue; doing it strictly to stir the pot is really non-productive. We need to show some discipline and not interact with them at all – in other words, don’t feed the monkeys.

##########################################

JB..is working it out as The Voice of Reason. Obviously the Mods here have no desire to do the right thing which would be Ban the Trolls. Which means you have to scroll thru miles of self-indulgent crap and sissified slap fights. Still, among all of that there are wise words and humor from the semi-pro bloggers. But I agree with JB that the most effective way to frustrate the trolls is to not give them the satisfaction of even noticing them.

• 506.SharkCatcher Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 10:33 pm
    I took this from the bills blog
    ———————–
    Posted 13 September 2011 – 12:21 PM

1. Pressure Campbell – We should be able to do this effectively = win
    6. Solid tackling will win the day. = win
    7. Turnovers. Keep them down, and we = win

My predicition is a Bills win. 27 – 14
    Bills 2 – 0 Vs. New England!
    ———————–
    Ill wait for your replies

===================================================

WOW. Has RMR/MR fingerprints all over it.

• Seymour Bush

RDRSshwYOURBUSH29 normally the biggest improvement of football teams happen between games one and two. If we can continue to see improvement week in and week out, in all aspects of the game, I have a feeling we will be just fine.

• PlunkforHOF

I should have said both Priest and JB.

• Try Some Reality

So did you guys hear about the Raiders appealing the distance on Jano’s kick? They say it was 64 yards.

• 514.Try Some Reality Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 10:52 pm

———————

Look at the spot of the ball. It was 64 yards and the NFL knows it.

• PlunkforHOF

I did read that somewhere. Fat chance of the NFL ruling in the Raider’s favor.

• Try Some Reality

“They stayed pretty true to it. If you break it down, it probably still wasn’t very good, but if you attack that big, long run at the end, which was a pivotal play of the game, that helped their totals.”

————————

Haha! Look at Fox making the same crappy argument I’ve heard in here on many occasion. “If you remove that long run…” LOL

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

Seymour Bush, that is what excites me, watching this squad develop into a real contender, no more fodder, just a tough nosed team who will scratch, kick and bite for a W, figuratively speaking of course.

• RaiderRetribution

There was pressure on the Raiders to win the season opener against Denver:

1) It was Mr. Hue Jackson’s first game as head coach of the Raiders, following Cable who went 6-0 last year in the AFC West;

2) Raiders needed and wanted to keep the winning streak within the division going;

3) Raiders seem to ride their season on the first game;

4) Raiders are thinking playoffs and beyond and know every game counts;

5) Raiders lost one all-pro and two other starters and needed to prove they could win together without them.

• Seymour Bush

RDRSshwYOURBUSH29, excellent point. That is the real fun part of sports: watching players turn into champions right before your eyes. And the best part is some of them have absolutely no business being there in the first place and they suck it up and do what it takes and end up champions! It’s fun to watch.

RaiderRetribution Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

There was pressure on the Raiders to win the season opener against Denver:

3) Raiders seem to ride their season on the first game;

4) Raiders are thinking playoffs and beyond and know every game counts;

______________

And this will fuel their desire to win! This team is not the Raiders of old who would crumble from the lack of confidence, we don’t lack the hunger, we just need to tighten the bolts and get train these kids to study, practice, study. The BULLY IS NEAR..

• RaiderRetribution

That pressure will not be there in Buffalo;

Raiders will be more loose as well as aggresive; therefore…
    The Raiders will be more disciplined; not false start and or go offsides;

Raiders will sack Fitzpatrick more times than they did Orton;

Raiders proved there defense could hold a lead and their offense could get first downs in the last minutes of the 4th quarter to secure the victory.

Raiders will put Buffalo away early.

Raiders 24 – Buffalo 3

• RaiderRetribution

RDRS you said it: desire, confidence, hunger, study practice

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

Seymour, and that is what this organization has always represented, and I am ecstatic to see that attitude and mystique materializing in this squad under the watch of Hue Jackson.

• RaiderRetribution

Raiders game against Buffalo almost as important as a divisional game;

Raiders would not only be 2-0, 1-0 in the division, Raiders would be 2-0 in conference [AFC] play, (which is far more important than road wins).

San Diego faces NE, Denver & Kansas City have already lost, Raiders could be alone atop the AFC West.

• ghostraiders

If jano kicked it from the 46 yard line. … it was definitely
    ..64 yards

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

RR you are correct on all points. Hue just needs to keep these boys in the film room and focused on the next opponent because this group can surprise a lot of people and be something special. The road ahead is long and hard (thats what she said) but behind our backs and D-line we can march to the promised land.

• SharkCatcher

I hope Nick Miller takes one to the house. I need to HATE this guy a little bit less!

• SharkCatcher

” I’m PRISON MIKE, YOU KNOW WHAT TEAM ALL THE GUYS IN PRISON LIKE? THE RAIDERS..DA RAIDERS” Blame rdrsshw bush 29 for the Michael Scott reference.

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

SharkCatcher, 100% true! The kid just hasn’t shown much of anything as of late.

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

You caught that didn’t you!?! hahaha Gonna miss good ole Mr. Scott, don’t know how long the show will make it with out him.

• SharkCatcher

Did Campbell or Barksdale get any reps in game #1. I know the “ugliest guy on the team Heyer” got some reps..That boy is BIG!

• SharkCatcher

RDRSshwYOURBUSH29 Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 11:21 pm
    ————
    It’s like the RAIDERS Wihtout Al Davis…. ” The Unknown”

• Buffalo put up 41 pts, last week. I know it was turnovers & short fields.

But, so was the Raider game, and they only put up 23.

Gnite Gents.

• SharkCatcher

good way to bring me down Kell..slap me in the face ..turn off the lights and say goodnight lol

• SharkCatcher

We did get extreamly lucky on the Orton Fumble….

• SharkCatcher

YOU’RE FROM L.A bUSH 29?

• SharkCatcher

MR Is Bill Plaschke and Jimmy Hoffa is under the Jets stadium on the 50 yard line.

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

RR, EXACTLY! As meddling as he is and as ridiculous some of the moves the old man has made, we need him, he is just as hungry and fierce as the young players we have on our roster. This NEW team and HC embodies everything Al Davis ever was and still is @ the age of 82.

“Just win baby”- Al Davis

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

SharkCatcher, I live in Ontario, about 35 mi east of the City.

• GG

To date….

Week #1 ghostraiders 1 everyone else 0
    —————————————————————————
    860Todd Christensen Raiders win 31/13
    Breaking News – Raiders 41 Bills 17
    CanuckRaider Raiders 24 – Bills 13
    Carl Weathers Raiders 51-3 Bills
    Don Manoukian Raiders 28-14
    EM (could find your score)
    exlaraiderseasonticketholder Raiders 27-17
    fingers Raiders 27…. Bills 17
    GG Raiders 31 Bills 17
    guest123 Raiders 24, Bills 13
    ghostraiders raiders 27.. Buffalo 21
    HueKnows 31-17 RAIDERS!!!
    JB – Raiders 31 Bills 10
    J Hill Raiders 27 Buffalo 13
    J Raider – Raiders 33 Bills 20
    John Tweedy – Raiders 20. Bills 10
    Just Fire Baby Raiders 23 Buffalo 20
    MiamiRaider78 Oakland 30 Buffalo 14/ If not, we still win 28-17. Which one?
    Mikedlopes 38 – 10 Raiders
    morilla Raiders 28 – Bills 20
    O Oakland 27 Bills 10
    PlunkforHOF Raiders-31 Buffalo Gals- 17
    r8dercain -> Raiders 30 Bills 17
    RaiderLen – Raiders 20 Bills 13
    RDRSshwYOURBUSH29 – Raiders 30 Bills 23
    RaiderRetribution Raiders 24 – Buffalo 3
    RaiderRockstar Raiders win 34-17
    raiderzmaverick Raiders 27 Bills 17
    Silverandblack666 Raiders 33 The Bills 13
    SilverNBlackPA Oakland 44 – Buffalo 13
    Sullivan44 Bills 28, Raiders 17
    The Realist Dirty Raccoon Raiders 31, Billy Goats 9
    Yamacan Man Raiders 24 Bills 0/ Oakland 28 Bills 27 Which one?

• RDRSshwYOURBUSH29

Plaschke is a square LOL comparing us to thugs and street fighting baboons LOL Now I can agree we showed our arse on MNF with all those stupid penalties and any of the top 5 squads prolly would’ve wiped clean with the yards we gave up on penalties BUT come on! We are better than a lot of pundits want to believe.

• GG

Btw, if the spot was the 46 yard line that means it’s 63 yards.

It’s always 17 yards + spot of the ball.

10 yards endzone + 7 yards where the holder holds the ball.

I’m not sure if the LOS was spotted on the 46 or 47. But it’s always 17 + where the LOS is spotted.

• Yamacan Man

542.GG Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 11:39 pm
    To date….

Week #1 ghostraiders 1 everyone else 0
    —————————————————————————
    860Todd Christensen Raiders win 31/13
    Breaking News – Raiders 41 Bills 17
    CanuckRaider Raiders 24 – Bills 13
    Carl Weathers Raiders 51-3 Bills
    Don Manoukian Raiders 28-14
    EM (could find your score)
    exlaraiderseasonticketholder Raiders 27-17
    fingers Raiders 27…. Bills 17
    GG Raiders 31 Bills 17
    guest123 Raiders 24, Bills 13
    ghostraiders raiders 27.. Buffalo 21
    HueKnows 31-17 RAIDERS!!!
    JB – Raiders 31 Bills 10
    J Hill Raiders 27 Buffalo 13
    J Raider – Raiders 33 Bills 20
    John Tweedy – Raiders 20. Bills 10
    Just Fire Baby Raiders 23 Buffalo 20
    MiamiRaider78 Oakland 30 Buffalo 14/ If not, we still win 28-17. Which one?
    Mikedlopes 38 – 10 Raiders
    Sullivan44 Bills 28, Raiders 17
    The Realist Dirty Raccoon Raiders 31, Billy Goats 9
    Yamacan Man Oakland 28 Bills 27

• Hagar the Horrible

Raiders 27 – buffalo 17

• rob_raider

the raiders vs. the world—just the way i like it! just win baby!

• hendu

Raiders 17-Buff 13

• morilla

Any link to the yardage dispute?

• Howie_Long

Mr. Reporter, someone,anyone,ask Hue jackson how he justifies Nick Miller being active over Hagan. The only opportunity Nick had he blew it by letting the ball bounce to the 2 yard line. He clearly was outplayed in pre-season. Hue you suk ozz. Your team is getting out of control with flags and during the game you just stand there with hands crossed. How about you pull over Barnes and Heyer and slap them silly for committing mental mistakes…