Dempsey wanted to be a Raider

Tracked down Tom Dempsey for a story in Thursday’s Bay Area News Group papers to get his reaction on having his record 63-yard field goal distance tied for a second time by Sebastian Janikowski.

You can read about Dempsey and Janikowski at this link.

Toward the end of our conversation, Dempsey, 64, relayed a story about a wish he had to play for the Raiders.

Dempsey, who at the time was playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, was serving as a player representative when he came out of a negotiating commitee meeting and came face to face with Al Davis in a hallway. Dempsey had always admired the Raiders for their willingness to do whatever it took to win.

“It seemed like there was never any air conditioning in the visitors’ locker room. I just loved their style. I truly did,” Dempsey said. “He came up to me and said, `Tom, they’re trying to trade you. Would you like to play for me?’

“I looked at him right in the eye and said, `If you’ve got a black jersey I’ll put it on right now.’ I liked the old time Raiders. A damn good football team. But I wound up getting traded to the Rams because they knew I wanted to come to the Raiders.”

George Blanda remained the Raiders place kicker in 1974 and 1975 before giving way to Errol Mann in 1976.

Dempsey said he plans on writing a letter to Janikowski to congratulate him and was interested in talking to him in person.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Method To My Madness

PLEASE PLAY HAGAN COACH HUE AND MR DAVIS….you wont regret it

• bcz24

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 10:23 am

Why is this such a soar spot with you? barnes sucks too, but the bills dont have a good egde rusher he should be fine this week. Running behind carlisle and satele could be tough sledding vs dareus.
    **************
    For the third time, Marcell Dareus plays DEFENSIVE END, Kyle Williams is their Nose Tackle. Dwan Edwards is their other end.

If you would like to dispute that further I suggest you do some homework my friend

• Just Fire Baby

Mistic,

Hue Jackson called for runs, at the crucialest of times, right behind Cooper Carlisle, and it worked in spades.

Not sure why you choose to ignore this. Did you watch the McFadden run? Carlisle steamrolled his man, and there was no “diving at legs”.

He had him by the shoulders, and drove him face first to the dirt.

FACT

• Just Fire Baby

*************************

Wow embarrassing mthfkas like this mess it up for others

************************************

Who would have known that RMR had so much in common with a Super Bowl winning, multiple Pro Bowl ex-NFL star??

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# bcz24 Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 10:28 am

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 10:23 am

**************

========================

What is your point? does any of what you posted dispute the fact that running against dareus wont be easy? Does this dispute or counter my feelings that buffalo lacks an edge rusher?

Man what a long, slow day in metro Chitown. 40 degrees out this morning WTF.

The WORKBRO 8500 is in overdrive and the clock is stopped.

Might sneak out for an oil can…

BSJ’s 5 hour energy drink.

• Just Fire Baby

Ray,

I used to get down at the Cannery. I lived at the Eagle Trace apts right across from Nellis AFB when I first moved to LV.

Got married, and moved up in the gaming world, lol!!

• Just Fire Baby

What is your point?

***********************

Not trying to speak for Bcz, but I BELIEVE his point is that Satele and Carlisle won’t be blocking Dareus much, and it will be our Tackles and TE’s more so.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 10:36 am

Mistic,

He had him by the shoulders, and drove him face first to the dirt.

FACT
    ========================

And your point is???

He also was pancaked in the back field in the gap, just like in pre season.

He ran behind carlisle at the end of the game on a zone play, playing to carlisle strength like a smart coach does. he bailed carlisle out by doing so because hue knows like a lot of us know carlisle gets pushed around on power runs.

Why is that hard to grasp?

• LTR

Feild goals are measured from the spot of the kick. Punts LOS. I think the offense opens it up a little more this Sunday. Too many trick plays to open the game IMO last week.

• http://www.raidernationpodcast.com/ r8eray

I just had my bulldog pups yesterday…had a relative drive me to the animal hospital. I was sitting in the front with my kids and dog in the back while she spit one out…like something out of a movie. She was driving 85 mph swirveing all over the place…pup wasn’t breathing, so I’m hanging out the passenger tryin to revive it…luckily I was able to. We finally got there…I’m running out to the reception area all hysterical with not a word coming out of my mouth…lol! I froze..finally they new what I was tryin to get at…I called them from the freeway notifying them prior to our arrival.

So with all that being said..I won’t be able to make to a game anytime soon!

Hopefully I could head out around the end of Nov.

• Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 9:30 am

No it doesn’t. His leg in Arizona cost us a division win and playoff birth. Make no mistake about it, hence my pet name for him SeaPerch. Just for the record I was on his back way before that debacle in Arizona.
    =============================================

Another in a very long line of mista clowns stupidest posts ever. Take away his 50+ yard attempts and Shankikowsky is in the Top Ten Percent All Time in Accuracy. Plus ask any coach or player on that team or in the league for that matter and they would all say the same thing: you don’t put it on the kicker to win it. The Raider O should have punched it in three times in that game and then it wouldn’t have even been close.

• dvrick

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I’m switching to a CHARGERS fan!!This Raider team is trash!!!

• Pingback: Northern Ireland Graphic Designer