Coach Hue Jackson delves into WR Hagan issue

Coach Hue Jackson was asked Friday why wide receiver Derek Hagan was inactive against the Denver Broncos in the regular-season opener.
Well, let’s just say that Jackson has been waiting for an opportunity to respond to those who questioned the decision and called him on his repeated preaching about performance-based play.
First, let’s give Jackson the microphone since he, obviously, has yearned for the chance to fire away at his critics (in the interst of full disclosure, yes, I was one of the most vocal).
“OK, let me, because this has come up several times, about Hagan,” Jackson started. “I just said Hagan’s done a great job and, obviously, he was our leading receiver in the preseason, right? But I never once said he’s the best receiver on our team. I never once said that.”
For the record, no one quoted Jackson as saying Hagan is the best wide receiver on the team. Back to Jackson.
“What he did in the preseason gave him an opportunity to be on this football team,” Jackson said. “It did not make him the starting receiver on this football team. So, let’s make sure we understand where I was with Hagan.”
Where Jackson stood was on firm ground about those who performed best in training camp and exhibition games would be rewarded with playing time. He uttered this stance numerous times.
Hagan caught 12 passes for 224 yards and one touchdown in Oakland’s four exhibition games. He outplayed every receiver on the roster, though it’s important to note that Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy and Chaz Schilens missed some or all of the four games.
Moving on, Jackson said there’s a role for Hagan on the team. That will be defined by Jackson as he learns more about his roster.
“Now, if he gets an opportunity this weekend, he gets an opportunity,” Jackson said. “But I get to make that decision. Nobody else. Me. So, everybody else who thinks I was supposed to put him out there because he was our leading receiver in the preseason, forget that we had other guys that have been very good receivers on this team.
“So, I get to make that decision. That’s the decision I made last week and on we go. Now, if he plays this week, he plays.”
At that point, I reminded Jackson that the media takes their cues from what he says, and that Jackson said playing time would be performance-based.
To which, Jackson replied:
“Yeah, but here’s the deal,” Jackson said. “You said that ‘performed the best.’ No doubt, but we had some other guys that hadn’t practiced that I’ve seen perform in games and make big plays, i.e. Jacoby Ford. So, you guys were like, I’m supposed to sit him down, sit Jacoby Ford down, and let this kid play.”
Um, coach, no one said that that I am aware of. It would be easy to make a case for Hagan playing ahead of Schilens, rookie Denarius Moore and Game 1 starter Darrius Heyward-Bey, though.
Let’s not get in the way of Jackson’s rant. He’s not through yet.
“No, that’s not where I was,” Jackson said. “So, let’s make it clear about what that was. That was for him to get on the team. Performance is what matters, and that’s what got him on the team. That’s where it starts first. Then, he has to continue to perform and beat some of these guys out and then he’ll play. That’s the way it works.”
So, there you have it. What Hagan did in practice and exhibition games was good enough to get him a spot on the 53-man roster. For him to play in a game, he’s going to have to do even more in practice.

*Nick Miller is one of the more versatile players on the Raiders roster. That, more than anything, played into his making the 53-man roster each of the past two seasons.
All his talents just might be on display Sunday against the Bills, given injuries to wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and kick returner Jacoby Ford.
Miller’s primary role is that of punt returner. However, he also is a backup receiver and one of several options on kick returns. He performed all three in practice Friday.
Jackson would not say who is going to return kicks Sunday. Rookie Taiwan Jones and veteran Rock Cartwright also lined up on kick returns during practice Friday.
Jones declined comment in the locker room, saying he had to shower before boarding the plane.

*The Bills turned in, perhaps, the most-impressive showing of Week 1 by rolling into Arrowhead Stadium and rolling up the defending AFC West champion Kansas City Chiefs 41-7.
Mind you, the Chiefs are quite difficult to beat at home, even when they aren’t in the midst of a successful season. The Raiders pulled off the feat last season.
Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly has a message for the Bills, lest they get too caught up in their season-opening victory.
“It caught everybody’s attention around the league,” Kelly said. “Anytime you can go on the road and have a victory like that, that’s going to open up a lot of people’s eyes. But the thing about the NFL is, that happened last week. You’ve got to do the same thing this week. So whatever they did is a nice, impressive victory. Bu they’ve got to come and deal with us now. And we ain’t the Chiefs.”

*The Raiders received some encouraging news Friday with the return of defensive tackle Richard Seymour and free safety Michael Huff. Both missed practice Wednesday and Thursday.
Seymour is battling sore ribs. Huff strained his groin against the Broncos. Their return Friday makes it likely that they intend to play against the Bills. However, they are listed as questionable, which equates to a 50-50 chance of playing in NFL injury report lingo.
Seymour no doubt wants to play. He has more sacks against the Bills (7) than any other team during his long, illustrious NFL career.
Huff said in the locker room that he intends to play, no doubt.

*Jackson said Murphy (groin) and backup safety Mike Mitchell (knee) also are out for the Bills game. Both players said they are targeting the New York Jets game Sept. 25 for their return from injury.
Defensive tack

*Tight end Kevin Boss made it through his third straight practice this week without any setback from the left knee injury he suffered against the 49ers on Aug. 20.
“It’s definitely improving each day,” Boss said. “I’m looking forward to getting back out there and playing some football again.”

*Running back Michael Bush received huge props for his starring role in helping the Raiders close out their 23-20 victory over the Broncos.
Some people are taking to calling him the closer.
“I don’t consider that a role,” Bush said. “It’s something that needed to be done. The line did a great job. It’s was something that we did. We were practicing on it. We just had to move the chains, and we got it done.”
When reminded that closers get paid top dollar, Bush said: “I’ll take it.”
He said he also is aware of the fact that people always seek to label players as something or other.
“Something that comes with the territory,” Bush said. “I’m always getting labeled as something. So, if (everybody) wants to give me that, I’ll take that, too.”
Jackson said he views Bush as more than just a late-game specialist.
“I’m not going to say he’s the closer,” Jackson said. “There’s a couple of things, whether it’s Darren (McFadden) or him, that I know they have a good feel of doing. At the time, there are a couple of things that I’d seen that I thought would give us an opportunity to finish the game.
“You always keep a couple things in your back pocket when you need them the most, and I thought this young man would run those particular plays very well. So that’s why he was there.”

*Here’s the full injury report, in Jackson’s words:
“Ford, did not practice, and he is out, OK? Heyward-Bey, did not practice, and he’s questionable. Murphy, did not practice, he is out. (Stephon) Heyer, limited, questionable. McFadden, full, probable. Boss, limited, questionable. (Jason) Campbell, full, probable. (Jarvis) Moss, full, probable. Seymour, limited, questionable. Huff, limited, questionable. (Chris) Johnson, full, probable. Mitchell, did not participate, he is out. (Joe) Porter, full, probable.”

*Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• lefty12

I disagree with you,but that is ok.I don’t think he is better than any of those guys.Who said Chaz is just 80%?According to your hero Corkran,he is healthy and doing everything asked of him.

• lefty12

BTW,your arrogance is annoying.Just because you disagree with me doesn’t make me wrong.I could say you are wrong,but won’t just because we have differing views.

• Method To My Madness Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:31 pm

193.Whats a Drexl? Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:29 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:17 pm

181.MistaBrown Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:15 pm
    One more stupid move like this and Hue is going to start hearing from the fans @ home on sundays.

The end

***************************

Oh yes next sunday he will hear win lose or tie from people
    ————-
    Next weekend he will be hearing the boos from the Buffalo fans as they watch Hue Jacks Raider defense violently ruin Fitz day.

Oh the horor

**************

The whore?
    ————-
    No, like when Brando was rubbing his bald melon in Apocalypse Now.

• The biggest upgrade Sunday will be the return of Kevin Boss. It’s going to be a 4 1/2 hr drive from N/W Ohio but it will be worth it.

• Raidervill

I like Cork and read his work daily…but do not consider him the end all, be all of football knowledge. Reading his chat after the game it seemed like he did not quite understand just how dominant the Raider’s D-line was in harassing Orton. He kept mentioning instances of the Dline not getting near Orton, even if it was a quick 3 step drop and throw. We battered Orton, sacked him 5 times (ALL DLINE) and hit him countless others. Oakland physically dominated the Raider O and Cork seemed to be arguing that point.

Hagan came into camp late as a body and impressed enough to make the team. Expecting him to start just because he was the team’s leading receiver in the preseason is utterly ridiculous. Preseason rarely means anything…did you see the Raiders D on Monday? Nuff said.

One Nation Baby…

• ghostraiders

ALEX… what’s the point… until hue n al crown Hagan a good receiver. .. the anti hagan guys will not support him. These are company guys… I saw hagan outplay all our receivers in preseason games…. damn!!! Atleast try him out. . Lets see what he can do….. to place Nick Miller and a 75% chaz over hagan is a stupid joke!!! I hope Hagan lights it up on sun… 8 catches for 175 yards and a touch down… even shuts up hue!!

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Get a grip already.
    Hagan has been released by two teams already.

Did he look good in pre-season?
    Yes, but in comparison to the other Raider receivers.

Should he play?
    Well, there are only so many slots and we know that DHB will take one because Al thinks his reputation is on the line.

• Method To My Madness

Leftster is a great poster….we just dont agree on this issue….but I hope no one goes in and bashes this great Raider man. He is just an OG that plays schit cautious…no problem

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:41 pm

————
    Krikey Mate!! I wish I could be there, I have always wanted to go to a game in Buffalo.

• Raidervill Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

One Nation Baby…
    ————-
    He seemed like he was about to pull a Tony Bruno, and tweet some stupid thing, and get a week off.

• lefty12

Ghost,you are such a tool.Nobody is anti Hagan,he is a Raider.If he plays I’d love to see him post those results.The question is ,is he better than all those in front of him.To that I say,the coaches are in a better position to make that decision than we are-they see him every day at practice-you don’t.

• inonewordraider

DMoore tore it up in preseason but had 0 receptions Monday Night so there’s no guarantee Hagan will set the world on fire I’m good with any of the receivers starting/getting playing time they’re all pretty good but I’m not good w/ NMiller handleing PR or KR

• i love it when someone gets called a tool. Such a classic put down, well played Lefty!!

• lefty12

B,thanks.That is correct and there is nothing wrong with us having different opinions as long as we keep things civil.Talk at you people later.

• Whats A Drexl? A Troll.

• HAH!
    I caught me a Krappy!!

What, you don’t like history class?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

215.KoolKell Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:52 pm
    Whats A Drexl? A Troll.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And isn’t Alex MR?

• inonewordraider

Cork next push Hue on why NMiller is returing punts when based on performance DMoore looked much better in practice/preseason. Get em Cork!

• Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it’s a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seems like that just about sums it up.

• KoolKell Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Whats A Drexl? A Troll.
    —————-
    I believe you have used the a few terms:
    Troll, poot butt(what ever that is), ad apologist, boot licker, the names go on and on actually.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Week #1 ghostraiders 1 everyone else 0
    —————————————————————————
    707raiders Raiiideerrrss 31. Bills 24
    8RaiderReign8 Raiders – 33 Bills- 24
    860Todd Christensen Raiders win 31/13
    909RaiderLifer RAIDERS-27 BUFFALO CHIPS-20
    antispy3 Raiders 27, Bills 19.
    BigTed707 Raiders 27 – 13
    Bo Schembechler Jackson Raiders 51 Bills 3
    CanuckRaider Raiders 24 – Bills 13
    Carl Weathers Raiders 51-3 Bills
    CarolinaRaider – Raiders 37 Bills 34
    CDERaider Raiders 27 Bills 20
    Chris in NY Raiders 30, Bills 17.
    CJ Legend 34 Raiders – 30 Bills- 17
    Dakota Raiders 35 Buffalo 24
    DeuceDeuce Raiders – 27 Bills – 24
    Don Manoukian Raiders 28-14
    EM OAK 24 BUF 17
    exlaraiderseasonticketholder Raiders 27-17
    fingers Raiders 27…. Bills 17
    GG Raiders 31 Bills 17
    ghostraiders raiders 27.. Buffalo 21
    guest123 Raiders 24, Bills 13
    Hagar the Horrible Raiders 27 – buffalo 17
    HairyBush Raiders 16 Bills 10 MARK IT DOWN!
    hendu Raiders 17-Buff 13
    HueJackinBullies Oak30-Buf20
    HueKnows 31-17 RAIDERS!!!
    J Hill Raiders 27 Buffalo 13
    JB Raiders 35 Bills 10
    John Tweedy Raiders 20. Bills 10
    Just Fire Baby Raiders 23 Buffalo 20
    LTR Raiders 34 – Bills 23
    M Lonetree Oaktown 27 – Niagara suburb 21
    Macho Man Randy Savage Raiders 17 Bills 13….
    Method To My Madness Raiders 38 Bills 28
    R8ER MIKE Oakland 38 Buffalo 10
    r8eray Raiders 27 Bills 13
    Raiderjambo Raiders 28 Bills 10
    raiderjhawk Raiders 26-21
    RaiderLen Raiders 20 Bills: 13
    RaiderReggie Raiders 26 Bills 20
    RaiderRetribution Raiders 24 – Buffalo 3!
    RaiderRockstar Raiders win 34-17
    raidertalk Raiders 24, Bills 3.
    raiderzmaverick Raiders 27 Bills 17
    The Big Banana Raiders 27 Bills 23
    The Realist Dirty Raccoon Raiders 31, Billy Goats 9
    Yamacan Man Oakland 28 Bills 27
    —————————————————————————————————–
    Sullivan44 Bills 28, Raiders 17

• Kirk

The Raiders are going to play to their strengths…namely defense, running the ball, and passing sparingly.

McFadden is the engine that drives this train.

• Method To My Madness

215.KoolKell Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:52 pm
    Whats A Drexl? A Troll.

*******************

Stupid ass …its Drexl! He has been on this site before and the B@uce and Drexl have met at the coliseum a few times and get brews halftime by the Sierra Nevada stand near the blackhole…..that troll schit is a weak excuse just cuz everyone hates your fkin guts

• its all good B, hate mail from Krappy makes me smile.
    Watch your self though or he might try and run you over in his vette.

• I usually make it to I game a year if it’s within driving distance. Last 2 yrs, Pitts, and Primanti Bros , and this year after the game, the Anchor Bar where Buffalo Wings were created. After we win, I’m ordering Raider Wings.

• new post

• ghostraiders

Lefty..

Look whose calling who a tool… you’re the biggest tool on here… Hagan is definitely not the best wide receiver on the Raiders roster… but he’s not the worst either. .. the Guy has experience… he’s a possession receiver. .. so I understand playing dhb… but Murphy is hurt… chaz is at 75%… Ford is hurt and Miller sucks. .. if it was up to you… you would probably play Pryor at wr before you play Hagan. .. obviously a lot of people feel the way I do.. otherwise hue Jack wouldn’t be back peddling. .. I. Just want to see the best players out there That give us the best chance to win….. period!!!

• BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExsellence2011 Says:
    August 18th, 2011 at 5:36 pm

KoolKell Says:
    August 18th, 2011 at 5:35 pm
    How many handles do you post under?
    ***************
    At least five.
    —————————————–
    Now I know he’s a troll. Drexl/Bootlicker. Lol.

• Years ago, I went to New Orleans for MNF with the Booster organization. After the game which we lost, we got pooboys to go and took them back to the hotel. Opened up the boxes and there was written on a napkin with a marker, CHA CHING!

• KoolKell Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 4:06 pm

BeAlwaysUrselfCommittingtoExsellence2011 Says:
    August 18th, 2011 at 5:36 pm

KoolKell Says:
    August 18th, 2011 at 5:35 pm
    How many handles do you post under?
    ***************
    At least five.
    —————————————–
    Now I know he’s a troll. Drexl/Bootlicker. Lol.
    ————-
    Krappy the name always contain the word Drexl, are you following yet?

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 4:07 pm

—————–
    LOL, those pesky Saint fans, hope thats all they did.

• downsouthraider

Hujac has spoken…CODE BLACK..obviously

• oldschoolraider

# oldschoolraider Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

# Stickem Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Steve ~ Did you ask Hue the obvious question, “Who decided Heyward-Bey is the starter, you or Al Davis?”
    ****************************************************
    Notice that Steve wrote”Coach Hue Jackson was asked Friday why wide receiver Derek Hagan was inactive against the Denver Broncos in the regular-season opener”
    Which probably means that someone else asked that question. Someone with a pair.

Steve wants to fit in, not rock the boat. That would be too much like journalism.
    *******************************************************
    I posted this earlier and have since learned that It was indeed Steve Corkran who was asking the tough questions at the presser. You have my apologies Steve.
    I still think your statement about Nick Miller was crazy.

• rob_raider

it’s really a pretty simple picture w/ the raiders wr’s.

dhb hasn’t really done much. we all know that. but none of them have. they have a lot invested in him and they are gonna want to see if he can do something. there is nobody on the roster that has done anything in a meaningful game that would be knocking down the door.

ford made a lot of nice plays last year, but many of them were in the return game and on reverses. he really hasn’t done much to suggest he is a reliable receiver yet either.

chaz has looked great in what seems like the distant past. but in that time, he did look like a legit wr. injuries may well have ruined his career, but we’ll see soon.

denarius looked great in preseason. but he’s rookie. he’ll get chances but they’re not going to put at the front of the line yet.

hagan looked good. but you what he really looks like? a good #3 or #4. not larry fitzgerald.

murphy is hurt and his chances are diminishing. but he has looked the best in regular season games than any of them.

miller. gee, he played his way onto the team 3 years ago in preseason. looked great. how has he panned out?

for the millionth time, preseason don’t mean sh*t.

• rob_raider

hue jackson on the wr decisions. “I get to make that decision. Nobody else. Me.”

u see. he was addressing the rather ridiculous assumption that al davis decides who starts.

it’s like this: when al davis hired hue, he likely discussed the personnel and who he would like to have opportunities. they probably agreed dhb would get a good long look.

did bruce campbell start? many of u were saying he needed to start, and most would think al davis wants that. supposedly that’s one of the things al was mad at cable for. but guess what? if cable wasn’t playing him, didn’t that mean cab;e was deciding? and since bruce didn’t start, and in fact didn’t even dress, doesn’t that mean hue calls the shots on who plays?

• ohioraider

rob_raider Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

————————————————-
    Yeah, sure. What transcript were your reading? Jackson got owned by Corkran. Exposed, pants down, and evasive. Just another coach on a string. And I say good: once again the curtain gets pulled back on the Not So Wizard of Al.

• ohioraider

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 3:55 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seems like that just about sums it up.
    ——————————–
    Sums it up if you’re an Al acolyte. Otherwise, no, it offers no rationale whatsoever. Fail.

• al d. davis

ma name is stanky AL, I’ll crap in ya face, I’m playing DHB, and I squirt ya with mace…..

don’t talk about hagan, he just a big jackass, he caught so many balls, we should just call him “pass”

but if I love ya I love ya n I love DHB, so I’ll do what I have to, accept mediocrity…..

as far as the fans and nation too, you a bunch of skanks, pay me me ya money fool,

don’t really care if we never win a game, I Stanky AL, I wont take the blame……

all you fans and the nation too, get down on your knees and stick your tongues out fools,

I’ll piss in the wind and you can have a good drank, meanwhile I’ll run with your money and put it all in my bank……

nuff said ??? idiots ??

Just Die Baby !!!

• al d. davis

okay idiots, knucklehead prognosticators, illuminous predictors of tempest-in-teapots, here we gooo……

I right back at it, sent out ma tooner, a scrotal sack, let’s just call him “spooner”……

he has a bald black head, his left eye hangs low, he proud of himself, thinks he really knows,

he spoons out caa-caa time and again, ya’ll believe it,
    thankin Broncos was a win,

but we all know they are bottom of the scrum, by the time its over, spooner will be exposed as a bum,

see I play him like a mean guitar, send him out on stage, and he acts bizarre,

he talks about Hagan, like he laid an egg, best in the preseason and he still has to beg,

spooner lays on a multitude of crap, he just an uncle tom, maybe he’ll take up rap……

spooner does what I say, cause I am the boss, I am stanky AL, too bad your loss…..

ya see ma fans and the nation too, ya’ll work for me, spooner will cover you in poo,

meanwhile, I’ll do what I want, you’ll keep giving me your dough, by and by its spooner I’ll haunt,

cause if he starts losing I’ll get in my groove, crack that shiny pate with my favorite pool cue.

Just Die Baby !!!! I out

• dvrick

# Method To My Madness Says:
    September 16th, 2011 at 10:24 am

HAHAHA again the experts from ESPN all picked Buffalo to beat us…..please pick against us…..I mean as it is what I’ve said all along we will be lucky to win 3 games!!

• Lil

@teabag
    Dude it was preseason, preseason, in the Allen Iverson voice, when Hue made that statement i never thought once he meant that kid would actually start, i always undstood it as meaning he would have a shot at making the team.. if we wnt on preseason N.Miler would be starting, and our entire starting def would be benched cuz dey didnt look great in preseason. Im glad the guy made the team but he doesnt deserve to start over dhb, murphy, shillens, nor ford just cuz he performed in preseason..

• joker94583

Screw Hue and Al! just the fact that Hue stated three times that he makes the decisions on who starts proves he doesn’t. DHB is a better WR than Hagan? Moore and Schilens are better than Hagan?Come on man! Hagan is in Al’s doghouse for questioning why he didn’t start in Denver bottom line. Al is a spiteful paranoid old man who needs to sell the team. He has destroyed a once proud and winning franchise. He’s the joke of the sports world. Just sell you pathetic old man! Hey Herrera I think Al needs his diaper changed you better hurry. And don’t forget his Ensure!

• RaiderNoOtherTeam

That just shows, that Al is still making the calls on the personnel on this team. Otherwise, Hue would sit Miller and replace him with D. Moore or Jones @ punt return and put Hagan as 3rd Reciever. These are your playmaker, make use of them to win you games.

• RaiderNoOtherTeam

No Matter how good a player you are, if you question Al, on his decesion making you are not going to play. The man is to prideful & stubborn to tell him his wrong. Humble yourself Al…….