1,372

Raiders coach Hue Jackson takes blame for Bills loss

Raiders coach Hue Jackson sees everything as a learning experience, win or lose. So, he seized upon his team’s 38-35 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday as an opportunity to lay down the law about how things are going to work around here on his watch.
In short, Jackson won’t accept anyone playing the blame game, finger-pointing, excuse-making of buying into the long-held belief that there’s a conspiracy theory by the NFL against the Raiders.
“Coach Jackson left the guy wide open,” Jackson said Monday, when asked how the Raiders failed to cover Bills wide receiver David Nelson on the game-deciding touchdown. “That’s it. Guys, look. Like I told you before, we’re going to win as a team, lose as a team. I’m not putting that on no player.
“I’m the head coach of this football team, and we lost. End of story, OK? I’m not pinning anything on one player because it starts with me. I left the guy wide open, in the end zone, and we lost. Fourth down, end of discussion. They won the game, that’s it. We move on from there.”
A short time later, Jackson interrupted a questioner who wanted to know his thoughts on some players pointing fingers at others Sunday for missed assignments and such.
“I believe that is done,” Jackson said. “There is no more frustration. There will be nothing addressed at a teammate anymore. Let me make that very clear. There will be no more addressing players, names, positions, any of that, as long as I’m the head coach here because here’s the deal.
“All that crap about, well, this guy, that guy, you’ve got to look in the mirror first as a football player. Last time I checked, I’m the head coach of this team. They’re the players. Ain’t nobody else going to be commenting on no other position. If they want to comment about themselves, they’re more than welcome to, but we’re done. That is over. Over. Those days are done.”
So are the days about complaining about the NFL having it in for the Raiders in terms of penalties, game times, etc.
“Hear me clearly, I’ve heard all of that,” Jackson said. “Listen, listen. That’s over with. We’re not dealing with that anymore. That’s all crap. Forget what the Raiders have done in the past, and this official and that official and this, that and the other. We lost. Make more plays. Get them stopped on defense. Score on offense. Do what you need to do on special teams and win the game. That’s not what we did.”
Raiders players in the past, as well as fans, have pointed at game officials calling unwarranted penalties. Some past coaches embraced such accusations, which, in turn, allowed the mind-set to permeate the locker room, if not the organization.
Jackson is hell-bent upon having his players play well enough every week to the point where it doesn’t matter how many penalties are called on the Raiders, where they play the game, what time the game starts and what works against them.
“So, this has nothing to do with an official, has nothing to do with a call, has nothing to do with nothing. This has to do with a group of men finishing a football game that they had an opportunity to win, and they didn’t do it. So it’s like anybody else. You start looking for other things. Everybody self-checks everybody else’s stuff before you check your own. So what we’re going to do from here on in is check our own from here on in.
“We ain’t going to get into the officiating game, we’re not going to get into the, this guy, that guy, that position, that position. What we’re going to do, this is coach Jackson’s football team, and this is the way he wants it done. We’re going to work, and we’re going to get better and when we become the team that we want to become, we won’t be having these conversations.”
Got all that? Jackson said he is confident that his players got the message and that things will be different around here from now on.

*For good measure, Jackson criticized himself for throwing the challenge flag on a play that can’t be challenged. That resulted in a 15-yard penalty.
He also faulted himself for the way he used two of his time-outs late in the first half. The Raiders wound up scoring a touchdown on that drive, but the Bills had plenty of time left to march down the field.
Fortunately for the Raiders, Tyvon Branch blocked Rian Lindell’s field-goal attempt on the Bills’ final drive.
“I don’t grade myself an A, by no stretch of the imagination,” Jackson said. “We lose, I lost. There’s some things that I have written down that I need to do better. And I will. I’ll continue to get better and this team will, too.”

*Jackson said the Raiders came away from the Bills game without any major injuries. Rookie cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke suffered a laceration to his left leg, but that doesn’t appear to be too seriouos.
Jackson is confident that he will get back even more players for the Jets on Sunday. Logical candidates to play Sunday are tight end Kevin Boss (knee), wide receivers Jacoby Ford (hamstring) and Darrius Heyward-Bey (knee) and backup safety Mike Mitchell (knee).
Boss felt healthy enough to play against the Bills. However, Jackson erred on the side of caution, and he held him out a second straight game.

*Rookie wide receiver Denarius Moore caught five passes for 146 yards and one touchdown against the Bills.
Jackson wasn’t impressed, he said.
“I guess you guys are in awe by the things he did,” Jackson said. “I’m not. That’s what they’re supposed to do. I’m just being honest. That’s what a real good wide receiver in the NFL is supposed to do; make those kinds of plays. He’s making them. He made them in training camp, and you guys were writing the same thing. He made them in preseason, he’s making them now. I’m not surprised by anything this man does. That’s what receivers do. He’s doing a fantastic job and he needs to continue to do so.”
Just the same, Moore’s impressive showing has earned him the right for more playing time from here on out.
“Oh, boy, you better believe he has,” Jackson said. “There’s no doubt. You can’t deny that one. What the guy’s doing, as I said before, he’s done it in training camp, he’s done it in practice, he’s done it in preseason games and he’s done it in regular-season games. He is as advertised. He made some plays. It’s going to be hard to keep that young man off the field, and he hasn’t been. He’s been one of the active guys, and we’ll continue to fire that.”
Should be interesting to see how Jackson handles playing time among his wide receivers once he has Louis Murphy, Jacoby Ford and Darrius Heyward-Bey healthy.

*The Raiders dropped from No. 1 against the run to No. 27 after allowing 217 yards against the Bills on Sunday.
The Broncos managed only 38 yards rushing against the Raiders. The Bills surpassed that total on one run by running back Fred Jackson.

*The Raiders were on their best behavior through the middle of the second quarter on Sunday. They made up for it the rest of the way by committing eight penalties for 85 yards,
Through two games, the Raiders have been flagged 23 times for 216 yards, both league-leading figures. Three teams are at 17 penalties. The Arizona Cardinals are second in yards penalized at 158.
“The penalties (aren’t) what lost the game,” Jackson said. “Come on, now, that’s now what lost the game. We were better in the penalty department than we were. It did keep drives alive, no question, but we were better. You got to start somewhere, and we got better.”
The Raiders are on pace for 184 penalties for 1,728 yards, which would set league records. Jackson is encouraged by the progress made in one week, but he admits that there’s still work to do before the problem is under control.
“Now, was there some penalties at some inopportune times?” Jackson said. :Yes. And as I said before, we got to continue to work at it. But we will get better at it. There wasn’t 15, there was eight. So we’re seven better than the pace was the week before. And hopefully we can go from eight down to two, and then we’ll be doing something.”

*If Jackson spoke with managing general partner Al Davis after the game, he wasn’t about to go into detail. Davis did not attend the game, but he likely spoke with Jackson at some point before today’s news conference.
Instead, Jackson addressed his conversations with Davis in general.
“Every conversation I’ve had with coach (Davis) has been awesome, and I mean that,” Jackson said. “Win, lose or draw. We share the same vision. We want to win and we expect to win. When you work here at the Raiders, there’s an expectation of winning. What I have to do is make sure our players understand that, every time we walk out there, that’s the purpose. That we can leave no stone unturned and make sure we finish these football games.”

*The Raiders defense allowed 481 yards to the Bills offense Sunday, and it failed to sack Ryan Fitzpatrick once despite 46 passing attempts.
Jackson said he and defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan are confident that the necessary corrections can be made in short order to solve the issues against the run, the pass and creating consisten pressure.
“No question, there are some things we can do better,” Jackson said. “Our players will tell you there are things they can do better. Our coaches are saying there are things they can do better. And we will.”
The Raiders still had several chances to seal the game Sunday. To no avail. Cornerback Chris Johnson, Branch and middle linebacker Rolando McClain came close to intercepting passes that would have snuffed out drives that resulted in touchdowns.
“We had our chances,” Jackson said. “We got our hands on two balls at the end of that game and didn’t finish. We had chances to get the quarterback down a couple of times, and the guy slips through our hands. That’s what I’m talking about. When we become the team that I envision us becoming, we’ll make those plays. We’re capable of making those plays, and I believe we’ll make those plays in the future.”

*Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• Method To My Madness

Yes…he must be the RoBeast over these next two months while we are in California need our suport base

• Silverandblack666

Jets center Nick Mangold has a high ankle sprain.

Their backup Center was hurt in preseason so this leaves them with a guy who hasn’t played in very many games at all.

If we cant get penetration from our D Line on Sunday we should all ask why!

• CanuckRaider

The Jets’ line has weaknesses at C and RT with Mangold injured and Woody gone. Perhaps our d-line will give Sanchez something to deep-throat Sunday.

• Method To My Madness

Nothing like being humbled…..ouur defense

• Later Raiders.

• CanuckRaider

Well, got to go now. My 73 CD Complete Grateful Dead Live In Europe ’72 has arrived. See you in a month or so…

1312.CanuckRaider Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:13 am
    Well, got to go now. My 73 CD Complete Grateful Dead Live In Europe ‘72 has arrived. See you in a month or so…

*********************

LOL have fun Canuck

• BigLefty

Lofa (Slowfa) Tatupu has worked out for at least 7 teams and has not been offered a contract. He is not the answer.

We are stuck with the growing pains of Ro Mac for at least this year and next.

1308.Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:09 am
    Jets center Nick Mangold has a high ankle sprain.

If we cant get penetration from our D Line on Sunday we should all ask why!

*************************

We wont have to ask….Seymour,Kelly and Bryant will be the culprits cuz John Henderson is gonna fk that rookie up

• Obviously.

• Method To My Madness

The RoBeast must feel embarrassed….I expect him to be more fired up than normal on Sunday

• MikieG

# VanHeathen Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 7:57 am

time to pay Sanchez back for the Hot Dog…
    Code Black!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good Call, Hue should put that up on the bigscreen for everyone to see….that was some serious disrespect there.

1316.MistaBrown Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:22 am
    Obviously.

******

Management

1247.ArmChair GM Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 12:06 am
    # KoolKell Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

ArmChair GM Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 11:33 pm

The Eagles blew a game on Sunday despite the fact that they have what most would consider to be a stable, top notch, front office….

Therefore, what REASONABLE conclusion does a rational human being that actually understands football, draw from that?
    ————————————————
    Listen Dumbass Armchair GM,

The Eagles have been on top in the last 10 years
    The Raiders have been on the bottom the last 9 years

The management record is totally different. Can you understand that?
    ______________________________________________________

Oh lookee here now…Look at Kool Kelly comin to Massa Sullivan’s aid!

Yessa boss! You is a doin just like a good boy should comin to aid Massa Sullivan!

You are a disgrace you fool!

*****************************

HAHAHA now that’s funny. ArmChair is the man for this cuz it reigns true with ole step n fetch it Kell

• lol @ step n fetch hahahaha

1318.MikieG Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:23 am
    # VanHeathen Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 7:57 am

time to pay Sanchez back for the Hot Dog…
    Code Black!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

***************

Yup and Nnamdi sat there and watched it….even commented on it himself but didnt say schit to Suckhez after cuz he is a btch….class acts like getting dissed I see

• Chris in NY

I’m not ready to jump ship on Chucky B and the defense just yet. Here’s why:

Through the first 6 quarters of the season they gave up just one TD and basically two FGs. The third FG allowed came after a fumble in our territory when Denver took posession with the ball already well inside FG range. The other TD allowed was on special teams.

That’s extremely impressive.

Obviously the second half against Buffalo was an epic failure. Part of that is on Chucky B having no answer for the Bills’ quick passing attack, but to me even more of the problem there was lack of effort by the defense in the 3rd quarter. They came out soft and let Buffalo gain confidence. I don’t pin that on Chucky B as much as the players.

1115.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 6:31 pm
    Kell…..meet me by Mountain Mike Pizza by Crolls Bar in about 10 minutes?

1116.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 6:33 pm
    Kell answers Ill meet you on ur turf no problem

1118.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 6:39 pm
    Kell….sup?

1119.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 6:41 pm
    Kell you a weak coward mthfker like I thought….I was in ur area

1120.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 6:43 pm
    Kell u a pzzy…..same challenge again tomorrow u fk

**************************************

Now this was funny……I bet he will paste another link

• John David Booty

Mark Sanchez, I loved you on Saturday’s, but this Sunday, you’re about to get your head smacked off your shoulders.

• Come on Steve, get the Ryan interview out!

• JR77

Good Morning Nation….

Here are my thoughts on the Buffalo game:

a) We are 27th against the run now which means ROMAC has done absolutely nothing for this defense..those two big runs were on him. That being said we are stuck with him this season….losing Goethel will really hurt in the long run. Maybe trade Bush for a respectable MLB

b) Time to sign Darren Sharper and use CJ37 strictly on nickle packages.

c) Seymour looked really old out there and slow…time to rotate him in even less…If he regresses and no moves are made the to shore up the DB and LB positions look for a 7-9 season

d) Maybe the best thing that could have happened to this team…offense picked up steam…defense now with a chip on their shoulder…bodes well against a banged up JETS team

1326.exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:38 am
    Come on Steve, get the Ryan interview out!

*******************

You wanna hear talk about burgers,steaks and foot fetishes?

Fk REX

1327.JR77 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:40 am
    Good Morning Nation….

Here are my thoughts on the Buffalo game:

b) Time to sign Darren Sharper and use CJ37 strictly on nickle packages.

********************

Dude its wednesday man

7-9 talk is wimp schit

• JR77

1327.JR77 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:40 am
    Good Morning Nation….

Here are my thoughts on the Buffalo game:

b) Time to sign Darren Sharper and use CJ37 strictly on nickle packages.

********************

Dude its wednesday man

********************

I wont get over that game until kickoff on sunday…neither should any other true fan

• Twocents

It could be that there is something ailing McClain.
    He looked to be at about 50%. If so, it speaks volumes about our LB depth.

• JR77

1330.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:44 am
    7-9 talk is wimp schit

——————————–

oh yeah, I would have said 5-11 excpet KC is not what they were last year so there is your 7-9…unless we pick up Darren Sharper

• Ny post says al Davis called cromartie personally
    an ask him to come to Oakland. An he opted to sign with the jets. Oh BTW we offered him more than the jets did.

• Chris in NY

I could live with 2-3 after this stretch we have coming up. 1-4 would be tough to rally back from, even though the schedule gets much easier at that point.

Of the three, I think this game vs. the Jets is the most winnable, especially with Mangold out against our d-line. To me, it’s very telling that the Jets are only 3 or 3.5 favorites in this one. I think the average betting fan jumps all over the Jets with that line. In my experience, lines that hook in the average betting fan in large numbers to one side portend well for the team on the other side. Basically, the big money has reason and knowledge to bet on the other team while the masses follow media hype and reputation built on past seasons rather than factors that actually matter.

• ravenaider

Cmon NATION!

I see a lot of RoMac talk on here,even some Seymour bashing.Lets start giving the Buffalo offense some credit for what happened last Sunday.

When you are playing a “high octane” offense running a no huddle preventing the defense from subbing,it’s gonna make players look slow and old.Same way the Ravens defense was made to look SLOW & OLD last week vs the Titans.

You come back to prepare for the next game…maybe somebody shouldda got hurt(lol) to slow Fitzpatrick down.And if you are getting torched by the QB and your front four is getting blocked out,message to Coach B or the head coach….BRING THE HOUSE TO PUT SOME PRESSURE ON THE DAMN QB!!

• ravenaider

_______________________________________________________

We said Chris,I was thinking the same about the next 3 games.New England aren’t going undefeated,someone has to beat them…why not us? That’s why they play the games

Listening to WFAN660am now online looking for some Jets/Raider talk from behind enemy lines.

Excellent station in the Bay Area 95.7thegame has excellent Raider talk.Fridays are RAIDER Friday

• ravenaider

*Well

• ohioraider

848.morilla Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 12:43 pm
    Comment From RaiderMike
    How much mettling does Al Davis do?

12:38
    Steve Corkran:
    He has a heavy hand in everything that takes place on game day, especially with the defense.
    ————

There you have it.

—————————
    Game ball to “Coach” Davis!

• Sheronne229