Seymour says Bills loss one of most ‘heartbreaking’ of career

By Steve Corkran
Monday, September 19th, 2011 at 12:47 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour has been a part of far more victories than losses during his 11-year NFL career. Yet, he has been involved with a fair amount of losses during that time, as well.
The loss to the New York Giants in the Super Bowl several years ago no doubt ranks at the top of Seymour’s list of tough losses. Oakland’s 38-35 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday made the list.
“I’ve been in many games in my career, and that’s one of the most heartbreaking ones I’ve had,” Seymour said Monday.
The Raiders squandered a 21-3 halftime lead and allowed the Bills to rally from 28-24 and 35-31 deficits in the fourth quarter.
Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly has seen his more than his share of losses during his eight-year career with the Raiders. The Bills loss tops his list.
“That’s about the worst one since I’ve been here,” Kelly said. “In eight years, we ain’t never been up on nobody 21-3 and lost. We ain’t never been up on nobody 21-3 that many times since I’ve been here. Man, we just got to go back to the drawing board. It’s just a real tough pill to swallow. Real tough.”
Seymour and other players said as tough as it is to cope with the stunning loss Sunday, there isn’t much time to wallow. The undefeated New York Jets roll into town Sunday fresh from a 32-3 victory.
“It’s easy,” Seymour said in terms of getting over the Bills loss. “As a competitor, as a player, you want to get back on the field. I wish we had a Thursday night game this week, just to get back out on the field and redeem yourself, so to speak. We’ve got to come back and rally as a group and pull together.”

*Kelly and Seymour credited the Bills with designing an offensive game plan that called for quick, short passes that negated the Raiders pass rush.
More times than not, Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick had the ball out of his hand long before the defensive linemen got anywhere near him with their rush.
Fitzpatrick attempted 46 passes without being sacked, even in the face of a blitz from time to time. Middle linebacker Rolando McClain was penalized for holding the only time the Raiders sacked Fitzpatrick.
“Matt (Shaugnessy) or Trevor (Scott) told me about a couple of times they came scot-free and before they could even get there, it was gone,” Kelly said. “So, hey, they had a good game plan, they executed their game plan, so you got to give credit to the Bills.”
Seymour said the Raiders now have to figure out a way to defend against such an approach because future opponents are apt to do the same thing.
“I don’t think he ever held onto it longer than 3,” Seymour said. “(He was throwing) short, dink-and-dunk passes. We could have got our hands up to try to bat some passes down. But we give them credit. They game-planned us and they executed well.
“It’s a learning experience for us. Anytime you get beat, that’s a formula for another team to look at, so we have to look at the game plan and the film, and we have to get better.”

*Quarterback Jason Campbell said the Raiders did a nice job of building a 21-3 halftime lead, but they failed to keep down the Bills when they had an opportunity in the second half.
The Bills scored touchdowns on all five of their second-half possessions. That’s what can happen if you give a team a reason to believe, Campbell said.
“You’re on the road, you can’t give a team life,” Campbell said. “I feel like once we gave them life, gave them momentum, they caught their chemistry as well on offense, and it just became a boxing match. Like I said, that’s any team.
Once you get a team down, you got to keep them down. And once you give them life, all it takes is a couple plays, and they’re awake.”
Raiders coach Hue Jackson hammered home that point during his post-game speech, according to Campbell and other players.
Jackson won’t speak with the media at his weekly news conference until 2 p.m., so we don’t have any idea what his thoughts are about the game just yet.

*Cornerback Stanford Routt had another outstanding game for the Raiders. He intercepted a pass, broke up a couple of passes and more than held his own against the Bills passing attack.
None of that matters to Routt, he said, because he was part of a defense that allowed 35 second-half points and enabled the Bills to overshadow a superb offensive showing by the Raiders.
“You definitely don’t want to ever feel like you’re letting your offense down,” Routt said, “and yesterday we did. It was 21-3 at halftime or something like that. Anytime it’s a lead that big, as a defense, you have to go in and bring that home.”
Several players struggled in pass coverage and against the run Sunday. Cornerback Chris Johnson, McClain and strong safety Tyvon Branch also committed costly penalties in the second half.
Perhaps most glaring, no one covered wide receiver David Nelson on his game-deciding, 6-yard touchdown catch with 14 seconds left.
“I don’t think confidence is anything that lacks in the secondary,” Routt said. “I know you guys in the media, you all try to criticize or chastise a certain individual back there for getting beat on a play, but I don’t think we’re lacking in confidence at all.”

*Wide receiver Derek Hagan caught five passes for 61 yards in his Raiders debut Sunday. Rookie Denarius Moore added five catches for 146 yards.
Hagan said their performance validated what they did throughout training camp and Oakland’s four exhibition games. It also bodes well for the Raiders offense moving forward.
“We knew going into training camp we had guys that can get the job done,” Hagan said. “It just shows we have depth. It doesn’t matter who’s in there. A team really can’t focus on one receiver, and that’s a great thing to have because we all know we all can make plays, and Jason has the confidence to throw any one of us the ball, and he knows we’re going to go out there and make the play for him.”

*Campbell’s 50-yard touchdown pass to Moore came on a throw into tight double coverage. Yet, he feels as if he can take those kinds of chances when guys like Moore are so aggressive going after the ball.
“It was one of those trust issues,” Campbell said. “You see him getting behind the safety and you know he’s going to be pretty much one on one with the corner. (Moore) went up and got the ball at its highest point and made a play for you, and you look around the league, you see guys scoring points. Around the league, you always see guys making plays and that’s exactly what he did – he made plays. He made plays on one of the third downs, in the red zone, on a sideline catch where he went up and got the ball at the highest point. As a quarterback, you learn to trust a guy.”

*Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• http://www.wasRaider75.com wasbanned

alex7 Says:
    September 19th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

McClain in college was an ILB in a 3-4.

That meant slightly less field to cover, more strict assignments.

With Oakland’s 4-3, he’s being asked to range more, and he’s not doing it well.

I like his pass D, but run D…ehh, he needs to be in a tighter 3-4 attacking D, not a 4-3 wider react D.
    ….
    I guess this might explain it, but the bottom line is the guy is just not getting the job done.

On top of that, he looked gassed and out of shape yesterday.

My wife who watches little to no football said he looked like a little kid being made to do something he didn’t want to do.

That is just sad.

• McRaider5150

I know I keep saying this every year, but at some point we have to look at the scheme and ask, “is it really the players? I saw Chris Johnson pulling a D. Hall and playing 10 yards off the WR. I never played NFL, but in High School, College, and simi pro, if I DB was 10 yards off in man coverage, I had a pretty good day. Why didn’t the coaches bring Johnson up 3 to 5 yards? I do not understand how at this level, you allow that much space between you and the WR….WOW

• ghostraiders

Alex…

You know I was thinking about that…. would adjusting and going to a 3-4 vs Buffalo. . I wonder if that had helped… you know the jets will try to duplicate what Buffalo did yesterday… book it… raiders got a lot of work this week..

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Raiderdeek Says:
    September 19th, 2011 at 2:46 pm
    185.SharkCatcher Says:
    September 19th, 2011 at 2:43 pm
    Ohh, The Monday Pain. Who missed the assignment on the td play

——–
    I’m still not quite sure but I think it was McClain…i hate watching the replay because it hurts more and more every time. Anybody know the answer for sure?
    ___________
    it was Rolando McCleezy

• Silverandblack666

“ur seriously gonna use miller to make ur point. Sorry but he’s awfull you dont need to have nfl smarts to realize that.”

You just rambled on about how lame it is that a lot of us in here are complaining about certain players on the team then you complained about Miller.

You still cant see it?

• jmcclain

Bills are winning the superbowl its all over the news. The next big thing fitz is the new brady. Its funny how every monday these analyst blow everything up.

• priesttj

Guys this league has transformed into a short intermediate passing game league where you dump it off and they run for first downs. Brady is excelling at Brees is starting to do it Fitzpatrick didn’t throw a single pass downfield everything was crosses and short outs and seam routes.

Dlineman have to get much better at battting balls down and knocking the ball in th air especially from the interior line the DT’s. You just don’t get the time to rush the QB. All they want is a quick hit for 5 yards and a miss tackle gets 15 yards. Nobody is lining up and playing football anymore. That’s where guys like MM34 excel he can play the run and yet cover a quick hitter. RoMac has to stay disciplined because he will play the pass much more than the run stay in the center of the field and make drops.

I brought out earlier and lasty night that the teams going fropm coast to coast ezpecially on a short week have a decided disadvantage and I’m watching the “The Coaches” on NFLN and Jim Mora Jr. detailed the the travails very astutely if you get a chance give it a listen.

Specifically SnB you check it out……it explains what I was tyring to tell you earlier. But in a much nicer way.

• mikedlopes

Nick Miller is so explosive on KOs, he $h!t his pants at the 5 and propelled to the 7

• jmcclain

Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 19th, 2011 at 3:46 pm

You still cant see it?
    ————————
    Its miller dude relax. Im not talking about good nfl players like half the people in here. The question is what who will people ask to be cut next weekend. Cause ill tell you what offense isnt gonna be as productive against the jets D as they where against the bills so my guess is half this blog gonna complain about the offense. I can see it now cut JC, cut DHB, cut this guy cut him. Its a rollercoaster around here.

• Raider4Life

Sup Nation, I hope you are all well.

I have been gone a long time due to the same bs from the team’s play drawing out over and over and over and over. But time heals all wounds, so I come to the blog renewed.

I have read all of the above.

It is as simple as this here. Nobody needs to be cut. The reason the Cheatriots are so good is that when a star goes down, an average dude steps in and plays like a star. It is their mindset. I despise those f u c k s, but that must be respected, and duplicated.
    They need to look in their pants, find their n u t s, and start doing their f u c k i n g jobs, each and every one of them. The ones that suck badly now (yes,there are a good few of them) can improve quickly, the ones that are on the fence can improve very quickly, and the great ones can do even better. They merely need a kick up the a s s and inspiration, either to avoid unemployment or to gain pride. Perhaps a bit of both will suffice.

As for predictions, if the boys we saw in the first six quarters of the season show up on Sunday, the Jets lose. They won’t beat the stinking Cheatriots no matter how well they play. They just won’t. If the disgraceful b i t c h e s we saw in the last two quarters show up, both of the next two games will be severe poundings. Blame can be placed all over the shop, this guy, that guy, this coach, that coach. . . The reason for the mistakes is lack of heart (although arguably better than past seasons), lack of focus, and of not studying the schemes properly. They have the key to fixing it, have had it for years.

• ohioraider

jmcclain Says:
    September 19th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

———————————————-
    Oh, please. Your kind of chest thumping and mindless “my team right or wrong” is nauseating. What the hell do you think these blogs are for?

• Raider4Life

jmcclain Says:
    September 19th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love all this monday quarterback stuff goin on in this blog. I dont see anyone in here coaching are owning a nfl team. Everyone knows what plays to run how to cover on D. What recievers to start. I believe in this coaching staff and yes the owner. Amy die hard raider fan will support this team i dont see that here. Lots of complaing everyone has there fav players on the team then other than that everyone else sucks. I love this team we have other then miller. All i got to say is support this team and its players, coaches so on if mot raider nation dont need you.———————————————-

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    =======================================================
    Precisely. These blogs are for us celebrate with our fellow Nation and to discuss, whinge, and b i t c h about our frustrations. And die hard Raider fans, at their heart, experience extreme anger at failure and incompetence. It is impossible to support every single player on any team, and it doesn’t diminish your S&B blood content when you don’t support one. If so, then none of us were “true” fans when JaC o c k s u c k e r was our QB, because most of us hated him.

• Pingback: luxusni kabelky

• Pingback: bed and breakfast st austell

• Pingback: serial glee