Breakfast with Jets coach Rex Ryan

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan isn’t kidding when he says he does things his way and always keeps his body clock on East Coast time. He spoke with the Bay Area media Wednesday morning, more than 2 hours before the Raiders begin practice.
As usual, Ryan had plenty of interesting things to say, including his love for rookie wide receiver Denarius Moore, how he thinks quarterback Jason Campbell is playing and how serious he was about signing former Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a long-term contract before this season started.
Here are a few tidbits from the conference call with Ryan, with more to come later.

On Moore, whom the Raiders selected in the fifth round of this year’s NFL draft:
“We really liked him, and I’m sure the young man can tell you that,” Ryan said. “We had him in for a visit. We really did like him. It never worked out for us. I tell you what, he had a huge game this past week, with about 150 yards receiving and a reverse for 25 yards. He really did a nice job. That catch he made in double coverage against Buffalo was big time.”

Ryan also said he recalls seeing Campbell before he entered the NFL.
“I just see a guy that has a bazooka for an arm,” Ryan said. “He can make all the throws. I remember going to his workout at Auburn, and he was sitting on a knee and threw the ball like 60 yards, and I was like, ‘Golllyyy.’ He has that kind of arm talent, he really does. He’s got some mobility and now he’s been in the league a long time, so he’s at his best right now. This is probably the best I’ve seen of Jason Campbell.”

Ryan has worked with numerous current Raiders coaches in the past. It’s obvious he holds them in high regard.
“I coached together with Hue (Jackson) and I coached together with John Fassel,” Ryan said. “Bob Wylie, I coached with (him) at the University of Cincinnati. Rod Woodson, of course, as a player. I know a lot of these guys. It’s good. They’re all good guys, passionate coaches. and I wish ‘em the best … except when they play us.”

Ryan dismissed the notion of the Jets being at a huge disadvantage without the services of center Nick Mangold this Sunday.
“Well, just like Darrelle Revis is the best corner in football, Nick Mangold is the best center in football,” Ryan said. “So, clearly that will hurt. There’s only one Nick Mangold in the league, but we’ve had to replace good players in the past. Revis went out for a couple of games last year. We had Kris Jenkins out, really played five games in two years. We’re a team, we’re not just individuals and all that stuff. We’re a team
“We’ll replace them. Next man steps up. As long as long as you’re wearing that Jet decal, you’re expected to play at a certain level and a certain temperment, and the next guy will be Baxter, and I’m sure he’ll do a good job.”

Ryan said the Jets went after Asomugha hard during the offseason and made an offer, which is more than the Raiders did.
“I’d say we definitely went after him,” Ryan said. “We made an offer to him that we thought was fair and we never came off it one bit. We just made the one offer, and he chose to sign somewhere else for more money. Obviously, we recognize he’s an outstanding player but that’s one that got away. We did not come off our offer one bit.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

45.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:43 am
    I’m not a huge “Nnamdi” guy, I was ready to see him go, and he is overpaid today under his new deal, and was MASSIVELY overpaid by Al.

But the fact is, you rack up close to 10 Pro Bowls, and 5-6 All Pro Teams, you go to the HOF. It is that simple.

******************

With no big plays made or game changing moments? 1 career TD? HAHAHA

• Just Fire Baby

Lester had 5 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro team.

Lewis had 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro teams.

Nnamdi already has 4 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pro teams.

DB’s are judged at the halls by those two factors, right or wrong.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

If this were true Lester Hayes would be in the HOF.

Go sit in the corner next to Chris.
    _______

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:43 am

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

You left out 2 SB’s and a buttload of INT’s, how convenient!
    _______

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:47 am

Lester had 5 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro team.

All people have to do is go at Nnamdi…he wont make ya pay for it

• Just Fire Baby

Albert Lewis has 1 career TD, 3 career playoff game appearances.

• Method To My Madness

Nnamdi makes zero game changing plays….next

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

I would take A Lewis, L Hayes, M Haynes, s Routt, T McDaniel in his prime over #21

• Just Fire Baby

You left out 2 SB’s and a buttload of INT’s, how convenient!

*************************

And he is not in the HOF, proving Pro Bowls and All-Pro teams are what voters are looking for.

And don’t think for a second that Nnamdi’s nice-guy routine won’t sway a HOF writers vote or two.

• bcz24

Everybody seems to bash Nnamdi and his run support. I never saw it that way. I saw him come up and make aggressive, solid tackles on running plays and screen passes all the time.
    **********************
    Nnamdi watched as Steven Jackson ran by on a 47 yard TD scamper opening day, and was DIRECTLY responsible for Roddy on that TD, which is why he was standing 2 feet from Roddy trying to protest that he stepped out. Nnam ALSO allowed 3 receptions for 50 yards to the 5th WR on STLs roster.

• raiderdeek

Hue should get the D riled up by posting a picture of Sanchez eating a hot dog during the game the last time we faced them.

• Chris in NY

Buckeyeraider Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:44 am
    Chris in NY,
    Always enjoyed reading your comments. You, Bob Marley and several others I refer to as Voices of Reason. lol.

I usually agree with 90% of your posts. You’ve never been a big believer in JC, however. In fact, I think you were one of Grads biggest backers.

What’s your impression of JC so far? Pleasantly surprised? Still skeptical?

———————-

Thanks Buckeye,

I was still skeptical after Week 1′s performance of about 105 yards and almost no completions of over 10 yards. The unwillingness to fit the ball into tight spaces down the field has always been far and away my gripe with JC. When Grads came in the last couple of years, he was making those kinds of throws, which is why I was riding high on the Grads bandwagon.

But this past week Campbell really impressed me. Several completions down the field and into tight coverage. He looked great. He made an interesting comment after the game about trusting Moore to make catches in tight coverage. Lack of trust in certain WRs could explain why he’s failed to make those tough throws in the past. Maybe he’s got a point there (although I did see Grads come in and do it with those same WRs with some success).

Maybe he just needs to work with some WRs he has confidence in. I guess we’ll see. I have said that throughout the exhibition season he did look much improved this year. The Buffalo game was obviously a breakout performance. Hopefully he continues that. Need to see it a few more times before I’m a true believer though.

• Chris in NY

Method To My Madness Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:48 am
    All people have to do is go at Nnamdi…he wont make ya pay for it

———————-

He did the season before teams completely stopped throwing at him. Had 8 picks that year, I believe.

• Just Fire Baby

Nnamdi will get a half dozen picks this year

60.bcz24 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:51 am
    **********************

**************************

Yes…exactly

64.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:57 am
    Nnamdi will get a half dozen picks this year

***************************

He doesnt have one yet…i dont think you know what a pick is

• Just Fire Baby

Is the game a sellout yet?

• Silverandblack666

I really don’t care about Nnamdi because he is NOT a Raider and he will never be a Raider again!

Case closed!

• bcz24

64.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:57 am
    Nnamdi will get a half dozen picks this year
    *********************
    I bet he gives up easily that many TDs as well. He wont be ignored in Philly, he will be exposed.

• Chris in NY

bcz24 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:51 am
    **********************

———————-

Nnamdi didn’t make a good play on the Jackson run. I’ll give you that.

Saw the White TD and replay of it. Look again. Not Nnamdi’s guy. They were in zone. White caught it over a Philly safety. Nnamdi was in the next zone over and came running in after the catch.

Didn’t see the STL game so I can’t say for sure what the numbers were there. I do know that Revis gives up 2-3 catches per game. Not sure that giving up 3 catches is something shameful. Not up to Nnamdi’s standard, but it’s still only a few catches in one game.

• bcz24

67.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:59 am
    Is the game a sellout yet?
    ********************
    I read on twitter it is VERY close, may need the extension til friday to officially sell out though.

63.Chris in NY Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:56 am
    Method To My Madness Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:48 am
    All people have to do is go at Nnamdi…he wont make ya pay for it

———————-

****************

Oh yeah 2006 the 2-14 season.

71.bcz24 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:01 am
    67.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:59 am
    Is the game a sellout yet?
    ********************

*****************

Schit is sold out…I got my ticket…you?

• Chris in NY

Method To My Madness Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:59 am
    64.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:57 am
    Nnamdi will get a half dozen picks this year

***************************

He doesnt have one yet…i dont think you know what a pick is

——————–

Wrong again. He got one against ATL.

• bcz24

********************
    The burn rates arent published very often and are hard to find when they are but I know Nnamdi gave up 3 catches for 50 yards in 4 attempts to a scrub WR… Revis ALWAYS shadows the best receiver on the field so it is expected that he gives up a few catches.

Oh, and Nnamdi did NOT shut down Andre Johnson last year, Johnson was out for that game.

• DKnight007

Raiders need to not focus all their pissed off energy about the blown Bill game and use it and let it all out against the Jets in the home opener!

Chuck B better get pressure on Sanchez!

However, I think the Jets are going to try and pound the rock at the Raiders primarily and then spread it out like what the Bills did.

68.Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:00 am

Case closed!

*****************

Dont tell that to the Nnamdi lovers….THEY’LL KEEP HOLDING ONNNNNN….HOLDING HOLDING HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• L.A. Raider Dave

Fatboy’s gonna need a lot of snacks to get over this one!!!!! Raiders 17 Jets 14

• ENGLANDRAIDER

67.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:59 am
    Is the game a sellout yet?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone know the answer to that question?
    A big crowd could make a big difference.
    The Jets are the 28th running offense-which considering how many big runs we give up is just as well.

• Silverandblack666

“.THEY’LL KEEP HOLDING ONNNNNN….HOLDING HOLDING HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA”

Like a Simply Red Song!

74.Chris in NY Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:03 am
    Method To My Madness Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:59 am
    64.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:57 am
    Nnamdi will get a half dozen picks this year

***************************

He doesnt have one yet…i dont think you know what a pick is

——————–

Wrong again. He got one against ATL.

******************

Chris I think that flew over your head…I know in NY yall deal with a massive cockroach problem so I’ll give you a pass…..Nnamdi didnt pick anyone off….do you know what a pick is? Just because a guy got an INT doesnt make it a pick….what Routt did sunday was a pick….Branch dropped a pick…CJ dropped a pick….Nnamdi didnt pick off Ryan.

• Silverandblack666

“Is the game a sellout yet?”

Most of us in here don’t care because we will be there but for the guys who live in other states you shouldn’t care either because you can watch it either way.

If you are local and do not have a ticket go buy one they are $25 on O.co

• ENGLANDRAIDER

68.Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:00 am

Case closed!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree.
    Al screwed it up not getting picks for Aso when he could but it’s over and he’s not a Raider.

• Method To My Madness

Last time Nnamdi picked someone off was 2008 vs Jake Delhomme which I knew he would do cuz Jake will try any CB no matter who it is

82.Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:11 am
    “Is the game a sellout yet?”

If you are local and do not have a ticket go buy one they are $25 on O.co
    **********************

I think that you have got it

• Silverandblack666

“Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie thinks he’s a better playmaker than Nnamdi Asomugha. I think Cromartie is right ”

• bcz24

If you cant sell out a stadium at $25 a ticket there is something seriously wrong.

87.bcz24 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:14 am

**********************************

• Method To My Madness

Its always a sellout in my mind…Im always there

• Method To My Madness

of course Cromartie is a playmaker while Nnamdi isnt….this is known

• RaiderRetribution

Yo Steve this is, “Inside the Raiders blog.”

It’s not like we don’t get enough coverage of New York & Boston teams on espn & NFL Network already.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

All that will do is make Tommy Kelly hungry and the cole slaw buffett is closed @ Alameda.
    _________

# raiderdeek Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:51 am

• HairyBush

MistaBrown Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 9:34 am
    If we sweep NY & NE that means a couple things.

—————————————–
    1) Hell has frozen over
    2) I just had an orgasm lol

• Silverandblack666

“25 dollar ticket is Mt Davis the super high deck….the other tickets are a little bit higher my friend”

I have some great binoculars I can even see the cheerleaders muff’s from MT Davis!

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

I really admire the way Rex have defeated the cheating Patriots but I’m not falling for his tongue and cheek interview about some of the Raiders coaches, players and former players. Rex thinks it is going to be another cake walk defeating the Raiders. It all sums down to the fact that Rex is confident about his men winning against the Raiders. If Rex had any fear of the Raiders…then his interview would’ve been mean, nasty and pretty darn spiteful. The Raiders need to really defeat those Jets, come Sunday. We really, really need this game against the Jets on Sunday…NOTHING LESS WILL DO.

• HairyBush

bcz24: Did you see all the fights at the Buffalo game?

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Some tickets are 81, 61, 41
    ______

# bcz24 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:14 am

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

LOL
    _____

# Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:21 am

94.Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 21st, 2011 at 10:21 am

********************

Better have that schit waxed clean…what is this the 70s?

• kokomo

I think the Jets and Pats will sell out. There aren’t too many tickets left in ticketmaster with the exception of Club Seats which aren’t counted towards a sell out.