Ford still out, Taiwan Jones returning kicks

Wide receiver/kick returner Jacoby Ford is not at practice today as he recovers from the strained hamstring he suffered in the regular-season opener. His expected absence has cleared the way for rookie Taiwan Jones to return kicks Sunday against the New York Jets.
Jones was the lone player who returned kicks in practice today. Nick Miller replaced Ford in that capacity against the Buffalo Bills last Sunday, but he avearged only 15.3 yards on his four returns.
As a result, coach Hue Jackson said everybody is an option until further notice, or at least until Ford returns.
Jones is the so-called next man up. He returned kicks in college and has the speed to break off long returns at any time. That’s something the Raiders have lacked through their first two games, as none of their returns has reached their own 20-yard line.
Coincidentally, Miller was on kick coverage while Jones was retuning kicks.

Also, wide receiver Louis Murphy and backup safety Mike Mitchell are not at practice once again. Murphy already has said he won’t play Sunday. Mitchell has not ruled out the prospect of making his 2011 debut, though it appears unlikely, given he hasn’t practiced in a month or so.

Receiver Darrius Hewyard-Bey (knee) is at practice and running routes. He said he felt good at practice Wednesday and is hopeful of playing Sunday.

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski (foot) also is at practice. However, his contribution during the media access window consisted of working the machine that launches footballs in place of a kicker or punter. He was limited at practice Wednesday.

Cornerback Chris Johnson (groin) returned to practice after missing one day because of an injury he suffered in the regular-season opener.

Tight end Kevin Boss looked fine in practice, and he should make his Raiders debut Sunday.

No official word yet on whether Sunday’s home-opener is sold out. The Raiders aren’t required to divulge the status of the ticket count until 72 hours before kick-off. Therefore, we likely won’t know if the Raiders-Jets game is going to be televised locally until 3 hours or so from now.

*Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/526101/AlDavis1_medium.jpg KoolKell

Guest123 Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 11:32 am

Why is Al Davis so afraid of the blitz? Does he think that’s the recipe to win games? The Raiders D works best when we are attacking the QB. Not letting the QB get into a rhythm on passes or downs. The “bend-not-break” philosophy only serves to gas our D and keep our own red hot offense on the sidelines getting cold. So what if the percentages show we can stop them in front of the first down marker most of the time. That’s not Raider football, and it isn’t being a bully. That’s chicken chit football.
    —————————————-
    The Davis “Theology” is very rigid, and not amenable to adjustments. He’s still living in the 60′s 70′s, Before the rules that changed the NFL to a passing league.

• ghostraiders

Stay down dhb…. just stay down!!..

+++++++++++++++++++.

Lmao!”" Like a boxer whose gettin his face rearranged by the old Mike Tyson!!

• Method To My Madness

147.DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:00 pm
    NO MORE NICK MILLER DOING A LIP-SKID INSIDE HIS OWN 10 YARDLINE..GLAD THATS OVERWITH.

********************

He is short and white…dont ya know that is our wes welker?

• J Hill

Jhill you are the Richard Pryor of this blog….

—————————————————–

So SIT DOWN Naaggaaa!

Before I have to lay this glove on yo arsse!

• Orthodoxdj

DHB=Decoy Heyward-Blocker

• guest123

Everyone and their grandma saw (even the non-football fans) that Moore is a stud WR. He can quickly reach Larry Fitzgerald type stardom. Why would you have Larry Fitz ever backing up an Early Doucet type guy?

Only Al Davis knows.

• DutchRaider77

Do we really have situations in our defense where a CB hands off an outside receiver to a MLB in MAN coverage?

I’m sure we’ll lose that matchup more often than not.

____________________________________________________

Boyd playing man coverage on Stevie Johnson sounds pretty crazy too!

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

N Miller spending his entire rookie on IR = mind numbing

• RaydaSwagger

Obviously!

• guest123

DHB=Decoy Heyward-Blocker

******

Decoy Hardworking Blocker

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

I’M SHORT AND WHITE TO,BUT I DONT THINK I CAN PLAY NFL FOOTBALL..

• LTR

DHB and Moore starting as it should be. Glad the coaches have a clue.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Shut up!
    ______

# RaydaSwagger Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Obviously!

• DMAC

DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I’M SHORT AND WHITE TO,BUT I DONT THINK I CAN PLAY NFL FOOTBALL..
    ======
    water boy?

• guest123

WTF has DHB ever done to deserve a starting spot?

• LTR

How about the clutch catches week 1.

• J Hill

Guest123 Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 11:32 am

Why is Al Davis so afraid of the blitz?

——————————————————-

The lonf TD run by Jackson coming out of halftime was a S blitz. You didn’t notice Tyvon Branch run right past him?

McClain blitzed at least twice on that last drive.

You really haven’t noticed Huff blitzing from the slot?

You didn’t notice all the blitzing we did against Denver?

How much blitzing do you guys want us to do.

It’s like we say on the dominoe table …

Hold your damm man!

• guest123

you’d think that DHB was a blood relative of Al or something.

• LTR

How about working with JC during the lockout.

• guest123

DHB and Moore starting as it should be. Glad the coaches have a clue.

******
    sarcasm?

• DMAC

CJ has a bounce back game which includes a pick!!
    You heard it here first!
    Print that!

• Method To My Madness

149.J Hill Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:01 pm
    DHB a poss WR?

—————————————————-

What would you call the type of routes he was running and CATCHING against Denver?

Damn, you act like the guy is retarded.

5 yd slant patterns, 10 yd digs, simple drag routes. How hard are those patterns to run?

As a 4th WR, what role do you suggest for him when he’s in the game? (insert non responsive humorous response here.)

*************************

DHB’s role? Run Run Jones died and needs a new replacement

• Method To My Madness

160.guest123 Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm
    DHB=Decoy Heyward-Blocker

******

Decoy Hardworking Blocker

****************************

Aw im holding my gut…too funny lmao

• ohioraider

146.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:00 pm
    137.Kirk Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 11:55 am
    Hagan and Moore should start.

How long before the Raiders realize that DHB doesn’t have it?

***************

Nevah…get ovah it

———————————————-
    Gonna be a long time because to do so would be a devastating admission that Davis blew it, again. Kid’s on scholarship for the time being.

• hwnrdr

164.DMAC Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:07 pm
    DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I’M SHORT AND WHITE TO,BUT I DONT THINK I CAN PLAY NFL FOOTBALL..
    ======
    water boy?

LOL…Man with the cooler…of lots of beers!

• guest123

I know it’s a nasty thought, but half of Raider Nation is about ready to take a crowbar to DHB’s knee to finish it off.

• raiderjhawk

DMAC- Is CJ even playing? It sounded like he re injured his groin last week.

• J Hill

—————————————————-

Moore is starting this weekend.

Chaz will be on the bench.

The knee injury that DHB has will give Hue all the leverage needed to limit DHBs snaps IF he looks like he doesn’t belong out there.

In years past, there was not a SINGLE WR on this team that performed to Moore’s or Hagan’s level. Chaz, DHB, and Murphy will all need to match the level of play of the 2 new guys to keep seeing the field.

Cream will most certainly rise to the top.

• LTR

I’ll take DHB over Hagan on any given Sunday. This week DHB, Moore and Hagan are the top 3. Sadly, I think the injuries to Chaz have cost him the chance to be great.

• DMAC

hwnrdr Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:11 pm

164.DMAC Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:07 pm
    DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I’M SHORT AND WHITE TO,BUT I DONT THINK I CAN PLAY NFL FOOTBALL..
    ======
    water boy?

LOL…Man with the cooler…of lots of beers!
    ======
    Hell yeah!
    I can dig it!

• Silverandblack666

Dstomp

Are you still here

Yes I do I was out to lunch I just saw your post.

• Method To My Madness

154.J Hill Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:04 pm
    Jhill you are the Richard Pryor of this blog….

—————————————————–

So SIT DOWN Naaggaaa!

Before I have to lay this glove on yo arsse!

******************************************

Oh Bi-Centennial Naggga

• hwnrdr

172.Method To My Madness Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:10 pm
    149.J Hill Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:01 pm
    DHB a poss WR?

—————————————————-

Damn, you act like the guy is retarded.

*************************

DHB’s role? Run Run Jones died and needs a new replacement

Dam Ba@uce, I don’t think he can handle Run Run’s jock either…LOL

• DMAC

raiderjhawk Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:12 pm

DMAC- Is CJ even playing? It sounded like he re injured his groin last week.
    =======
    I thought he was at practice 2day, after sitting out Wednesday.

• LTR

What has Hagan done? 5 for 61 and a holding call.

• J Hill

168.guest123 Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:08 pm

you’d think that DHB was a blood relative of Al or something.

——————————————————

You would think DHB dropped 4 balls and had a fumble against Denver the way some of you are carrying on.

Either that or recently acquired from the 9rs.

DAMMMM!!!!

• guest123

Chaz is a throwback to an organization that was all about making excuses. Talking about all this potential to be great. Well there’s talking about doing and then there’s doing. Chaz has got the karma of Tom Cable. Never was and never will be.

• DMAC

How about our O-line?
    I think they deserve a lot of credit, to our early success on Offense.
    Who would of thought.

• DMAC

Barnes is still our weak link.

• 2romes

Althought the Raiders have been getting first down on 3rd and inches by doing the quarterback sneek routine I think they should actually run the ball in hopes to break a long run in a stacked defensive alignment.

On the Fritzpat bootleg, I am just amazed how Wimbley can ignore his responibility and not keep containment on that play.It is frustrating watching The Raiders forget basic fundamental strategy that cost them losing games on many occasions.

On the Spiller run during the 2nd T.D. drive, T.Kelly let THE SAME LINEMAN block him several times on the same play.How could he allow himself to stay in that position to be blocked for that long of time!!!

The 2nd T.D. Boyd had help on the outside. What would make him bite on the outside move falls under either I don’t trust my help on the other side or I don’t understand the defensive scheme.

We keep hearing the Raiders have the talent to be better that just good. If the Raiders minimize the mental error they could be great!!!

Now, Raiders on the next outing let whup some NYJ tail!!! Raiders Be With You

• ghostraiders

Ltr. ..is one of those guys that has confidence that dhb is going to be an awesome wide receiver some day just like priest and lefty!!, lmao.. we have an awesome receiver now and his name is debarious Moore. .. I say let dhb rest the knee another month… can’t risk him reinjuring his knee… he’s much to valuable to the organization! !

• ohioraider

Some ringers from Alameda in here today, trying to defend the indefensible. What’s Hagan done? How about give JC a huge lift in confidence?

• guest123

Either that or recently acquired from the 9rs.

DAMMMM!!!!

******

I don’t hate DHB. But haven’t seen one catch that made me say “wow” in a good way – I mean. All a bunch of body basket catches squared up to the QB. He’s not as pathetic as last year, but it definitely bothers me that he is the defacto starter. Let him earn it. If he rightly earns it, I’ll back off.

• Method To My Madness

185.LTR Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:14 pm
    What has Hagan done? 5 for 61 and a holding call.

*****************

After holding call….immediately gets a big first down….B@uce!

• ghostraiders

Denarious Moore that is… damn spell check!! Lol

• guest123

DMAC Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:17 pm
    Barnes is still our weak link.

************
    Agreed, but the links behind him are weaker. It’s pick your poison. And allowing only one sack in two games is still a good performance.

• LTR

I think DHB and Moore start with Hagan moving up past Chaz on the depth chart.

• J Hill

185.LTR Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 12:14 pm

What has Hagan done? 5 for 61 and a holding call.

—————————————————–

Opening eyes.

Good enough to ensure that he is active each week.

His performance coupled with Nicki Miller’s ineptness will give him another shot to perform this weekend.

Going to be interesting to see how the lineup shakes out once Ford and Murphy are healthy.

Putting DHB aside for a second, Chaz and Murphy haven’t done what Hagan is doing either. If Chaz and Murphy get playing time over Hagan are you going to tell me that Al is trying to be right about them too?

I think it will all play itself out and the best players will see the most time. Our offense is pretty much scoring at will anyway, so no big deal, imo.

• DMAC

Not defending DHB, but I could care less how receivers catch the ball. Hands, body, face mask, whatever. Just catch the fk’n ball in bounds.

• ghostraiders

Ltr… so raving about 4 for 44 must sound really sorry then. . Right??