AFC West rivals weigh in on Al Davis’ passing

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, October 8th, 2011 at 12:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here are some comments from representatives of the AFC West rivals San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs and Denver Broncos, courtesy of the Raiders, on the passing of Raiders managing general partner Al Davis at the age of 82.

Kansas City Chiefs Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt
“From the earliest days of the AFL, Al’s love for the game and fierce loyalty to his franchise contributed to the success and popularity of pro football. His competitive spirit helped develop the great rivalry our team and fans enjoy today with the Oakland Raiders. His contributions to the game played an important role in building the strong foundation the NFL enjoys today.”

Denver Broncos Owner and Chief Executive Officer Pat Bowlen
“During my 28 years with the Broncos, I came to know Al Davis as one of the most influential and innovative people in the history of the National Football League. His competitive spirit and intensity grew our rivalry with the Raiders into one of the fiercest in all of sports.

“I respected Al for what he meant to the NFL. He was a visionary who defined the Raiders and had an enormous responsibility for the prosperity of this league.

San Diego Chargers Chairman of the Board – President Dean Spanos
“Al Davis is one of the main reasons our family is in the NFL today. Al approached my dad (Alex Spanos) about getting involved in the NFL and was very helpful to us through the process. He had great insight into the league, both the product on the field and the business off the field. He saw the potential for growth. He was very much a visionary. Our family will always be grateful to Al for his friendship.

“Al is also a big reason for the strong rivalry between the Raiders and the Chargers and its popularity among both teams’ fans. He personified the image and mystique of the Raiders, and that image has helped build the strength of our rivalries and the popularity of our game. There has been no one in the NFL like Al Davis.

“The NFL and NFL fans everywhere – not just Raiders fans – owe Al Davis for helping to build the game we all love so much. He will be missed.”
“I join Al’s family, the Oakland Raiders and the rest of the NFL in mourning the loss of a man who gave so much to the game we love.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• Method To My Madness

Al=B@uce!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

October 8th, 2011 at 12:29 pm
    We in the Dirty 30’s have taken our que from Al Davis, both despised & admired. A piece of Oakland died today

• EMRaiders

More than Amy going Nuclear, a bigger statement would be for the whole team to go Nuclear and win the superbowl. Now that would be a story for the decades.

• memo

Cmon Dakota, you always have funny death comments

• DeuceDeuce

If we can make a playoff push…

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Method To My Madness Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Without Al Davis alot of stuff doesnt happen with sports period….i just cant post anymore right now….yall be safge and have fun. Enjoy your lives…we only here for so long…..I’m not even going out tonight…I’m just gonna sit back and reflect on my years on the planet and what significance the Raiders were in those times for me

Through thikc and thin im rolling with this team no matter what and I’ll never trade in my silver and black for anyone

Raiders 35
    Texans 17
    ________________________________________________________

hang in there man!

a few days ago my prediction of the game was something like Raiders 24, texans 35…

Now two thing can happen, either raiders will have a total meltdown not score more than 9 or something like that, or they will thrash Texans and humiliate them in honor of AL

• Method To My Madness

THAT MAN LEFT OAKLAND……hurt alot of people….THEN CAME BACK and DIED HOME

The only franchise to ever leave its origin and come back!…And that a btch.

Oakland/East Bay= spirit of rebel that will go down fighting.

• raiderkoolaid

“If everybody is thinking alike, then nobody is thinking.” Mike Lombardi quoting Al Davis

• Method To My Madness

La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:34 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Raiders 35
    Texans 17
    ________________________________________________________

hang in there man!

*************************

Dont matter…I’ll be at the game next week for that!. Never would miss it for anything

• memo

You think he will be buried in his jump suit?

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Repost without the expletive:michaelbush29 Michael Bush
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    Never got 2 say thanks #mr.davis 4 giving me the chance 2 be a Raider ur a legend 2 the nfl My thoughts n prayers go out 2 the davis family
    ==================================================
    What of the dumbest tweets ever. He rescued you from the trash heap with a broken leg and gave you a chance to heal and prove yourself. 4 years later, you stupidly say you never said thank you. Lost all respect for you Michael Bush.

• Method To My Madness

Raiderkoolaid Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:36 pm
    ******************************

Exactly my way of thinking!

• Raiders562

Anyone have a link to comcast bay area????

• J Hill

FFFUUUUUHHHHHGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AL DAVIS WILL ALWAYS BE THE MAN!!!!!

SAD FUHHGGGINN DAY MAN!

• Method To My Madness

Memo Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:37 pm
    You think he will be buried in his jump suit?
    ****************************

Dont know but I’ll be wearing a jumpsuit next week

• WESTRAIDER

Rich gannon on now

• Method To My Madness

J Hill Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:41 pm
    FFFUUUUUHHHHHGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AL DAVIS WILL ALWAYS BE THE MAN!!!!!

SAD FUHHGGGINN DAY MAN!
    ******************************

Truly is and we gonna get through it

• ArmChair GM

1. Method To My Madness Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 11:49 am

I cant stop the tears yall……Al helped shaped my personality…I’ve been an underdog my whole life and my city my area code my team has been frowned upon. They label us dumb out of control nggers,wetbacks and poor white trash at Raider nation. In college I wrote the best paper ever about how Al Davis influenced my life

At a time in my life when I wasnt around my father and his family I had the Raiders as my outlet. Since I was a little boy I followed everything with this team. It was the only thing I could talk with my father for a while cuz that was our connection. AL HAS MEANT SO MUCH TO ME. I’m beyond crushed yall.

Al was my fking HERO. He is just like me stubborn and gracious all at the same time. Always wanting to beat the odds and win in life

Pride and Poise wasnt talking about football. The Will to win wasnt talking about football. Just Win baby wasnt talking about football

IT WAS LIFE

I am an underdog and I’m from Oakland and I’m fking proud!

I’m gonna cry from start to finsish tomorrow during the game and will be an emotional wreck next week vs Cleveland

I love all you Raider brothers no matter where you from. I apologize for my austere nature. I just wanted to see us win again and Al hold up the trophy again. I just wanted to win cuz everyone calls us losers and I didnt wanna be labeled a loser anymore. Its gonna be hard to post on here anymore. My leader and my hero has left

Call you an Al Davis stooge, call me his bootlicker and Al defender…I loved what he stood for. He was his own man and he marched to a different drum. It not for Al I may have never moved back to the Bay Area in my teenage years. I love the guy to death and I’m crying while writing this….sorry for being so emotional guys. I love the Raiders more than anything outside of my family and you guys are my second family. I love yall and I hope we can rep hard tomorrow in a big win for al. My dude Raider Dell is in Texas and he is gonna bring that spirit to Houston and he will be the 12th man for our guys

CODE BLACK….Forever I love you Al…..thank you for being the maverick who wasnt apart of the in crowd. Lord knows you will be missed
    _____________________________________________________

Thank you bruh. Moved me to tears. Nothing more needs to be said after this.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

I hope the raider blue print remains. Bigger stronger faster, power run vertical passing & sack the qb!

• memo

I just read that he died of auto erotic asphixiation

• memo

The jump suit was awsome. Im def getting one in his tribute also

• raiderkoolaid

I wish I could buy you a drink of your choice, Method To My Madness.

• WESTRAIDER

Tom flores on now

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

All you scumbag pricks that wanted the old man gone got your wish. Somebody lost a father and a husband but you POS’s are all smiles, right KK & MR ?

R.I.P

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

M2mM..

yeah, it would cost me more than 3000 to go Houston, so I will see it from home, drink a beer for me with the rest of Raiderland!

• J Hill

FUUHHHHGGGG ALLL AL DAVIS HATERS!

I AM UP MUHHTHAFUHHHGIN SET MAN!

NO SHAME IN MY GAME!

I’M SHEDDIN SOME TEARS FOR DAVIS MAN!

THIS IS FUUHHGGGED UP!

• armond

i hope this will help spur a resurgence for our hometown to all of us oaklanders no matter where u are. we have had hard times and always been looked down upon. i fight with people down here in the south bay all the time about their arrogance towards the town. i call up any radio show putting the A’s ownership on blast for blaming oakland for their lack of vision to be better. al davis never made excuses for his failings and still tried to win in that same piece of crap they claim they cant win in. to all of my oakland brothers stay psoitive and do what u can to help keep this team. the bay has always been against us and hates it when we fight back. i have love for the nation all around but its starts in the town. this is a sad day but we will be back. im off to play some softball now cuz ill be too damn depressed if i stay in all day. keep ya heads up and get ready for the ultimate come back 2morrow as we start our dark reign of terror over the nfl. beware of the darkness from the CODE BLACK! peace

• memo

I’ve been reading this blog and comments for years and I don’t think they wanted him dead, but to step down or delegate some authority to other personell.

• EMRaiders

Michael Silver is a douche. He keeps talking about how Al did a lot ruthless things and how he knows a lot of bad stories but that he won’t share any today because he doesn’t want to be disrespectful. He is on NFL network now and eventhough he is not exactly ripping Al, he is not being flattering either.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

PlunkforHOF Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 10:00 am
    I am blowing off all appointments today. I’m dressed in black, gonna go make a fat drink and fire up the Vaporizer with some fine Strawberry tree. I am in mourning and anyone who can’t accept that can fck right off. The ones I want to communicate with are right here, the Raider Nation. We are gonna need each other to get past our grief.

CODE BLACK remains in effect.
    ___________________
    I hear bruh. I’m rite wit u
    OG Kush here.

RIP
    MR. Raider Al Davis

The Raiders will always be the Raiders
    he will live through his team his organization his legacy
    He will be recognized for many many years!!

• J Hill

I CAN’T BELIEVE HOW HARD I’M TAKING THIS!

I AM REALLY FUHHGGED UP BEHIND THIS MAN!

JUST FOUND OUT!

FEEL LIKE I LOST A CLOSE FAMILY MEMBER!

BOUT TO SMOKE A REAL FATTY MAN!

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Then you havent been reading very closely.
    _______

# memo Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:52 pm

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

18.ArmChair GM Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 12:45 pm
    1. Method To My Madness Says:
    October 8th, 2011 at 11:49 am

IT WAS LIFE

I am an underdog and I’m from Oakland and I’m fking proud!

_____________________________________________________

Thank you bruh. Moved me to tears. Nothing more needs to be said after this.
    —————————————————-
    Damn you got me to. Well said.

• rob_raider

memo–i guess we know u as sullivan

• 17 Bob Trey O

AD- Thanks for everything. The world has lost a real maverick and a great man today. An era has ended.

• memo

I never read that he should just die. I supported the man but I admit I was one of those people that wanted him to step aside and let the coaches do their job

• memo

No, I am not Sullivan or whoever that is.

• olinesux

all the haterz need to admit they were never raider fans, al davis is was the raiders…i dont want to root for a slow zone coverage team…there was something special that al made this team have an identity…thats the raiders.

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See October 8, 2011 « Raiders Central - The Ultimate Oakland Raiders Blog

• fingers

Long Live Raiders Nation…!!!

Al Davis… Raiders….

• UCSBPreMedMike

I never thought he would go….but, I DO KNOW that he lives through all of us. His spirit lives through the original and only true NATION, RAIDER NATION!!!
    Love you all Nation…see you at the Clev game.

RIP Uncle Al