Bill Soliday on Al Davis

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, October 10th, 2011 at 8:58 pm in Oakland Raiders.

With all that has been written about Al Davis the last few days, maybe you missed this one.

Here’s a link to a remembrance on Patch.com by Bill Soliday, who dealt with Davis dating back to 1965 starting with the Fremont News-Register through the Hayward Daily Review through the Oakland Tribune/Bay Area News Group etc., etc. etc.

A terrific story, and if you’re ever lucky enough to run into Bill, it only scratches the surface of what he knows about the Raiders.

A unique totally local perspective. Check it out.

• Just Fire Baby

Tebow burned us early last year but became one dimensional.

***********************

It was his 1st NFL start, with that O-line grunt filling in as temp HC.

He still posted a 100 QB rating on the road in his first start, and became only the second QB in NFL history (Steve Young the other) to have a 40 yard TD run and 40 yard TD pass in the same game.

I said it at the beginning of the year, the future of Tebow scares me exponetially more than Orton, Rivers or Cassel.

• LA to TheBay

MistaBrown Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 7:51 am
    Fk Romo I couldn’t care less what Dallas is doing.

——-

Oh, so you only bag on Raiders. Got it.

• LA to TheBay

——-

Agreed. I thought when they drafted him ‘this guy will burn out immediately or he will be my arch nemesis for a decade.’

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

My focus is on the Oakland Raiders. If you have a problem with that go F yourself.
    _______

# LA to TheBay Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:15 am

Oh, so you only bag on Raiders. Got it.

• hwnrdr

340.MistaBrown Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 7:43 am
    Seymour leading the league in ass9 meltdowns as well.
    __________

# hwnrdr Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 10:33 pm

So, Richard Seymour is tied for 3rd in the NFL with 5 sacks and McFaddden is the leading rusher with 519 yards on 91 carries with 3 rushing touchdowns! Go Raiders!

Mista…was waiting for a response…lol

• LA to TheBay

MistaBrown Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:28 am

——–

You’re very hostile. Chill.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

I dont miss an opportunity!
    __________

# hwnrdr Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Mista…was waiting for a response…lol

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

As long as JC is playin well an showing he gets better with consistency
    in the system. I don’t think we will see T. Pryor for at least two seasons.

Unless they find conventional ways to get him on the field
    he’ll be a backup being groomed to start.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Would you rather I take a deep breath before telling you to F yourself? *sigh*

Go F yourself…..better ?
    _________

# LA to TheBay Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:29 am

You’re very hostile. Chill.

• http://www.raidernationpodcast.com/ r8eray

Good Morning Raider Nation!!!

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Plus pryor Is gonna have to work his way up the depth chart. He’ll prolly be behind boller maybe even lechler for now

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Problem is JC is regressing. Maybe he is blind or mentally retarded I dont know but he throws the ball out of bounds on a regular basis. I’ve never seen an NFl Qb do this, have you?

______

r8dercain Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:31 am

As long as JC is playin well an showing he gets better with consistency
    in the system. I don’t think we will see T. Pryor for at least two seasons.

• Just Fire Baby

Morning Ray!!!

• ohioraider

As I previously posted, there is a lot of griping here in Cleveland about the Browns, particularly the team’s very inept offense. Too much pressure being put on McCoy, who dinks and dunks to no real purpose. Very low scoring and unintimidating offense. Receivers so unreliable that McCoy won’t throw to them half the time. Just announced rookie WR Greg Little will start. Expect about 25 carries from Peyton Hillis and Montario Hardesty.

Having said that, you can probably count on Schurmur testing the Raiders’ CBs early, perhaps (in the first half anyways)using the pass to set up the run. Maybe try to wear the Raiders down in the second half with a more intensive run game, particularly if the game is close.

Browns defense is similar to Raiders inasmuch as they bend too much, but don’t break as much as you might think with so many young players. Have a growing stud in CB Joe Haden, who may be limited on Sunday due to a sprained knee–but I think he will likely play. He’s very good. Center Alex Mack is questionable after having an emergency appendectomy, and I don’t think he’ll play. Mack is also very good. Not much else to say about their offensive line–it pretty much sucks.

The Browns are very far from an elite team, and if the Raiders intend to re-establish themselves this year this is really a must win against a very beatable team. All Campbell has to do is manage the game effectively and protect the ball. Defense needs to stop the run and force McCoy to throw, which would be disastrous for the Browns.

If we get 150 yards rushing, 3 touchdowns, and minimize mistakes Raiders win this game no problem. If they resort to old bad habits, trust me losing to this team would be a significant setback.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

He does misfire the deep sideline balls quite often. But he’ll get better as the season goes. Remember that old sayin “Practice Makes Perfect”

• Just Fire Baby

I hope Pryor can be an answer, because this is Jason Campbell.

He has a 84.3 QB rating. Last year it was 84.5 . His highest year was 86, lowest 77, and averages an 82 for his career.

Give him credit for being consistant, but it is consistantly mediocre. That is Jason Cambpell, he will have some good games, have some stinkers, and show you enough at times to think he will emerge, yet he probably never will.

We will see what Soup can accomplish this year, but Pryor is definately in the organizations plans, and being that he is on a 4 year deal, he will get some run sooner rather than later.

• http://www.raidernationpodcast.com/ r8eray

GM Vegas….whats your take on Pryor?

You seem to be fascinated with Tebow… Pryor, Newton and Tebow have very similar game!

;)

• Just Fire Baby

Not much else to say about their offensive line–it pretty much sucks.

***********************

They drafted O-lineman in the first round two years in a row, and they still suck??

Who would have thunk it??

Drafting O-lineman in the 1st round is the stupidest thing ever!!! Really, how much better is Joe Thomas or Jake Long than Jared Veldheer? Maybe they are a little better, but they never made their teams offense any better, and they make probably 10X’s more than Veldheer.

If I were to run a team, O-lineman would be the focus of the middle rounds of my draft annually, but I WOULD NEVER draft an O-lineman in the first round, unless I was 110% confident he was the next Anthony Munoz.

• Just Fire Baby

GM Vegas….whats your take on Pryor?

************************

I want to see him play, but I thought he was a good value for a 3rd rounder.

Not one to tune in to much Big 10 football, but he looked good enough in his bowl games that I saw to warrant a look.

Not sure if he has the between-the-ears skills needed to be an elite QB in the NFL, but we shall see.

• ohioraider

Steinbach is injured. Thomas is overrated. Entire right side of the line is amateur hour.

• bcz24

Mike Pouncey was worth the first rounder.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

LOL
    ____

# r8dercain Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:37 am

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Man….Wish i could be there Sunday.

• LA to TheBay

MistaBrown Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:31 am
    Would you rather I take a deep breath before telling you to F yourself? *sigh*

Go F yourself…..better ?

————

LOL! Fair enough. If my country were being taken over my radical islamic commies, I’d be uptight too.

• bcz24

I will root for Pryor to be sucessful, but I really truly doubt if he will be. I just don’t seem him as ever being a pro level passer… but I did say the same thing about Cam Newton, and what he is doing is down right amazing.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Second yr in the same system an also he got a very good run game.
    Look my question to everyone is where were we bfore he arrived. An where are we today.
    If the coaching staff has his back than so should we as “fans”.

He nay have all those stats from the past. But what do they say bout stats. “Stats are for loosers”. An since he took over we’ve been in more games than the bfore him or the guy bfore that guy an on an on. I support JC as long as the coaches do

• bcz24

373.DonManoukiansNeighbor Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:49 am
    Man….Wish i could be there Sunday.
    **************
    Agreed

• Just Fire Baby

Mike Pouncey was worth the first rounder.

***********************

Maybe.

How much has the Steelers offense improved since he was there? They still can’t seem to block much, or run the ball when needed.

Mike Pouncey can’t block Haloti Ngata or Vince Wilfork much better than Satele. They both will get man-handled, so what’s the point?

• Just Fire Baby

Soup is definately much better than what we have had over the years. Not even debatable.

But at some time, this team will be good enough to challenge for a title, and Campbell will be holding them back from doing so.

I am suprised to say, that we may already be there right now.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Same thing goes for Pryor too!!
    If the coaches think he can play QB. Than he’s got my vote until otherwise.

I’m not a coach or GM. Iam just a fan
    an that’s what I’m gonna do. Go out an root for the raiders when ever they step on the field

• bcz24

Individually Pouncey is the best Center in the league, but we all know that you need 5 guys pulling in the same direction for the Oline to work. One weak link and the whole thing comes crashing down.

• bcz24

I am suprised to say, that we may already be there right now.
    *********************
    The defense will hold us back right now. We can gut some wins out in October with less the stellar play, but in January our Defense will get us killed quickly.

• morilla

We shouldn’t even talk about Pryor for another 2-3 years.

• weaselbit

Soup can’t throw deep. He blows opportunities over and over. No doubt these WIDE OPEN receivers clear out space to pass underneath.

He may get better. We can only hope. But right now he makes games that shouldn’t be close into barely winning. Thank God for our defense last Sunday.

He may very well be the weakest link in our offense.

• weaselbit

soup is still adequate. (barely)
    Technically he hasn’t lost us a game.
    Although overthrowing wide open DHB out of bounds in Buff might have been the difference. I think of Buff as more of a team loss.

• weaselbit

soup did bring back the deer-in-the-headlights glaze.
    Briefly.
    Snapped out of it tho.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

_______________________[

Maybe we should listen to big Richard Seymour when he say
    “I just saw this team grow up in front of my eyes”

That’s what I’m gonna do.
    Defense will get better an better an by dec/Jan they’ll be at thereheight

• ElToroRaider

Well said beach. Sunday will be one of the greatest scenes in all of sports in a black sold out stadium! All the true die hards will be there.

• qodrn

Dedicated to the legacy of Al Davis
    Defended by the Rally Squirrel

First: Ghostraider (exact score)
    Second: Sullivan44

Add me plz Q

Thanks
    Go Raiders

• dvrick

beach Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Maybe some of you guys know each other with the jokes and teasing. I just know that I have stood by this team through thick and thin for 40 years, and I learned nothing from Al Davis. I want to win now maybe we will!! BURN AL BURN!!

• dvrick

# r8dercain Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Raiders 2 Browns 40

Add me plz Q

Thanks
    Go CHARGERS

• dvrick

# r8dercain Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:53 am

Same thing goes for Pryor too!!
    If the coaches think he can play QB. Than he doesn’t have my vote.No more black QB’S

I’m not a coach or GM. Iam just a fan
    an that’s what I’m gonna do. Go out an root for the chargers when ever they step on the field

• dvrick

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2011 at 8:40 am

I know Pryor can’t be an answer, because he’s black.

• Pingback: Anguilla Hotel