John Madden finally speaks about passing of Al Davis

Former Raiders head coach John Madden wasn’t heard from in the immediate wake of the passing of Raiders managing general partner Al Davis on Saturday.
Word was that Madden just wasn’t ready to speak about the passing of the man who hired him to be his head coach in 1969 and remained a close friend all these years. Madden regularly attended games and sat with Davis in the owner’s suite.
On Monday morning, Madden spoke briefly on 740-AM KCBS radio about his recollections of Davis as a person and owner.
Here is the entirety of what Madden said, courtesy of KCBS:

Madden: “There’s part of you that says, you know that he’s going to die, but there’s another part that says, Al Davis will never die. It’s Al Davis. Then, you think that he’s sick, he’s not doing well, but he’s a fighter, he’ll fight this, and he’s going to win. Then, you hear the call and you say, well, you shouldn’t be shocked. But it was very, very shocking. I still am. If you really knew him and you were a part of him, he was the most loyal friend or person that you could have. And then there was a lot of people that he didn’t know. Well, of course, he couldn’t be loyal to them. Like I said, Al Davis isn’t for everyone. Everyone’s not going to say that Al Davis is this or that, that he’s perfect, and he’s all these things. But if he’s your friend, if you played for him, if you coached for him, if you were part of the NFL, he was that guy. And there was no one that could be better at being that guy than Al Davis. He stood up for what he believed and he stood up for what he thought was right, not only for him but for other people.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• DMAC

Texans DE J.J. Watt confirmed that Houston’s goal in Week 5 was to stop the Raiders’ running game.
    “Our goal all day was to try and stop the run,” said Watt after the game. “For the most part we did that.” The Texans limited Darren McFadden to season lows in yards per carry (3.19) and total yardage (68). Darrius Heyward-Bey was able to capitalize, however, and the Raiders still won the game.
    Related: Texans
    Source: houstontexans.com

• luvmarvhub

I think Amy Trask and Co. are missing a big opportunity by not exploring Contra Costa County as a place for a stadium.

I am familiar with the demographics of all of SoCal, and with the projected demographics, and I can tell you that any stadium built *anywhere* there will always be plagued with an insistent core base that will once again run off other fans who want no part of gangs, violence, and the link between the Raiders and that demographic.

I grew up with the Raiders in the 60s before they were winners, before the merger, and stayed with them through their Oakland success and half way through their LA experience when the “experience” of the LA thugs became too much. Trask and the Davis family will want to shed that image (in fact, they thought they had a chance to shed it with their trip north again) but it’s tough to discourage that element when
    that element is insistent.

Many of you may think the team will be able to compete financially and thus excel on the field as long as winning brings in enough people to fill seats, but that is not reality. Luxury boxes are a necessity and no companies are willing to have their brand linked to thuggery. Even w/out thuggery, very few companies are willing to have their brand linked to Halloween silliness. Sorry, that’s just reality.

In order to draw people who love football, love the Raiders, want to take their kids, want no part of low class idiots, the team needs to stay away from SoCal. Even building a stadium in NoCal will require a marketing scheme that helps assure that middle class people and middle class behavior can be assured at the games.

The Dodgers are experiencing the same thing to a degree. The once proud franchise, having lost their connection to the past when the O’Mallys sold, has been adopted by those who wish to link the team to something new and something which scares off the middle class. You can’t sustain a franchise that way. Even new Dodger ownership may find it impossible to get their Mojo back because once a link established, it’s hard to break.

A lot of you seem very young and maybe you don’t even know what the original Raider fan base was like–working class, law-abiding, family-oriented, adult-behaving people, people who had survived the Depression, WW2, and who were thankful they could spare a few dollars to watch great entertainment with their families.

They have to stay away from Southern Ca. It’s their only hope.

• SilverNBlackPA

R Seymour does nothing but be invisible and meltdown and gets nothing but love.

++++++++++

Two sacks yesterday. No meltdowns outside of his awful performance against New England.

The roughing the passer he got called on him yesterday was a load of crap.

• Dakota

There is just something about the thought of a Steeler running the Raiders that bothers me…..though I would have killed to have him as our HC years ago.

• SilverNBlackPA

Why would anyone want Cowher as GM? Kevin Colbert is the one that built that team into what they have been the past decade

• Dakota

Why would Hue Jackson have any say in who the GM will be? The guy has been in Oakland for only a matter of months. I sincerely doubt Al told anyone to let Hue have a say lol.

This will be a Trask/Mark Davis decision.

• DMAC

Great team effort yesterday, but my MVP’s were Lamar Houston on D, and DHB on the O.
    Houston was relentless all game and DHB looked like a certified WR.

• ArmChair GM

# SilverLining20 Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 11:28 am

I am a Raider fan who was born in LA, raised in North Carolina and back living in Los Angeles now.

I would prefer the Raiders to stay in Oakland but no matter what happens, I am not an Oakland fan, I am a Raider fan FOREVER.
    _______________________________________________________

What you must understand my friend is that The Raiders ARE Oakland, and Oakland IS The Raiders. The two are intrinsically linked.

There is no other way to put it. If a person does not understand that, then I don’t know what to say for them.

Can you imagine Yankee fans being ok with that team moving 6 hours away to Philly or even just 30 minutes away to New Jersey? Hell no.

How about the Boston Celtics moving out of the city of Boston to another East Coast city that is 6 hours away?

But wait it’s all in the East Coast right?

The Raiders and the city of Oakland are one in the same. You cannot like one but despise the other. That lack of understanding is precisely why the Raiders must stay in Oakland.

• SilverNBlackPA

Dakota Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:03 pm

This will be a Trask/Mark Davis decision.

+++++++++++++++

You make a good point, but all signs show Hue being plugged into this team and the Davis family as firmly as any long time Raider.

I’m sure they’ll consult Hue. That said, Mark Davis will have the final say so.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

If Gannon didn’t say so many stupid things on his show the past couple years (though most of it was truthful, just very stupid that he said it knowing how much Al values loyalty), he could’ve been a candidate to be involved in the operations at some role. Even Parcells, who was never a Raider made sure not to ever sh!t on us when he was on ESPN due to his relationship with Al.

• J Hill

New GM????

How would that play with Jackson?

Wouldn’t the new GM want to bring in “his guy”?

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Dakota – I say Hue will have say because from the naked eye, it seems obvious Mark didn’t have the passion for football his father had with him not even attending all of the games nevermind never showing up at practices. Common Sense would say if he lacked the same acumen, reach out to the person who communicated with his father the most. So outside of the Raider legends, Madden, etc…I’m sure he’ll have Hue in his ear a lot.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

early returns on chuck b are good from where i sit. the defense was in postion to win in buffalo but failed. They destroyed the donks, the jets, and shut down on of the best rush attacks and overall offenses in football, on the road!!!!

we have shut down the run in 3 of 5 games. we stopped the run and all of a sudden a pass rush was back. we are forcing turnovers, not only did we pick off shaub, we dropped 2 other picks!!!

Sorry but this defense is the best we have seen here in a few years. romac was stellar in the run game

• Dakota

110.SilverAndBlackBleeder Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:05 pm

++++++++++++++

Hard to say on Parcells. I am sure that Al is aware, as we all are, that when Sean Payton was considering the Raiders Parcells, along with Gruden and Callahan, helped convince him to wait for a better opportunity other than being under Al Davis….so Al may have been pizzed at Parcells for that…but you never know, maybe Al respected Parcell’s opinion and knew he was a pain in the azz to work for?

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Hue might be in a unique position where he might be able to heavily influence who his next GM is. Do you know how many coaches would kill for that opportunity? Drafting/Personnel choices, etc…all of that would be so much easier…Just thinking out loud, but it’s possible…

• luvmarvhub

Al and Gruden weren’t exactly on good terms, right? No way the Davis family would, at this early date, choose someone Al was pissed off at.

I think Fisher is a great idea, but it remains unclear just how much money this organization intends to spend on a GM. Al was tight-fisted with everyone except players. I think he always envied their skills, wished more than anything that he had been blessed with athletic ability rather than intellectual ability.

It’s also very much like Al to have written a trust that is very specific in what his wife and his son can and cannot do, even regarding hires. I wouldn’t past the old guy to have tied their hands in many ways with the hiring. If anyone was going to feel he could still control and manage from the grave, it’s Al, no?

• If you are satisfied with this defense your only goal is to win the division not a SB. I never seen so many RB’s go uncovered out the backfield in all my life.

• inonewordraider

_________________________________________________
    I agree the Raiders should stay in Oakland but Dodger fans were boycotting games this year because of owner Frank Mccourt. Before this year the Dodgers were consistently top 5 in attendance usually 2nd behind the Yankees and the Dodgers haven’t exactly won many titles during this span

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Please stop throwing out names of guys that dont fit here!!!

The new guy will subscribe to tghe Raider way. We dont want to be the steelers or the ravens, or anyone else!!

newsome, cower, parcells forget it. They cant evaluate talent according to what we do.

• SilverNBlackPA

I never seen so many RB’s go uncovered out the backfield in all my life.

+++++++++++

It’s amazing how simple play fakes were causing the entire defense to bite so hard that RBs were wide open in the flat or TEs/WRs were standing by themselves 20 yards downfield.

• Load of crap? He hit him late below the knee’s, that is garbage! I remember 1 sack not a second, not saying it didn’t happen.
    ________

# SilverNBlackPA Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:00 pm

The roughing the passer he got called on him yesterday was a load of crap.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Mista – that is disturbing…and knowing that SD has finally realized Mathews is their true #1 back they were hoping for, that could haunt us. McClain will definitely be tested that game

• luvmarvhub

Similarly, I want what’s best for the A’s to compete, and it’s not being in Oakland. Face it, the City is poorly run and broke.

• Dakota

111.J Hill Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:05 pm
    New GM????

How would that play with Jackson?

Wouldn’t the new GM want to bring in “his guy”?
    ++++++++++++

Well, just as Al Davis said to Parcells, just do your job Jackson and it won’t matter who they hire as a GM.

For those of you looking for Jackson to become the GM, well, history shows that very few coaches who try and take over as GM as well have ever had much success. Combine that historical fact with the fact that Jackson barely has his feet wet in the HC area, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Hire a GM with the understanding that Hue will receive a fair shot. He has earned it thus far. But piling all that responsibility on Hue’s shoulders would just be too much imo.

• The new GM will be told Hue is off limits or he wont be brought aboard. Simple as that!

What GM would you want to hire that says Hue has to go anyway ????

• ArmChair GM

‘Oakland Live’, which is Oakland’s version of LA Live where the Lakers play, is the current proposal by the City Of Oakland.

It is on the site of the current location which is centrally located and accessible by the Freeway, BART, Cal Trans as well as centrally located between all 5 Bay Area Counties.

It is the site Al Davis wanted, as well as the Site Amy Trask has stated the Raiders want to remain in.

WE are currently batting a .1000 when it comes to home sell outs with no letup appearing to be in site.

I don’t see my beloved city going the LA. Oakland will be the first choice and the City Officials are in agreement and cooperation with that. The question now is finances.

I could see the joint stadium being a last resort possibility, but LA? Naw, I just don’t see it.

We’ve been down that road before and it almost tore the team fan base in half. We are still recovering from that today.

The only reason the 49ers are even remotely relevant up here in the Bay is because the Raiders were not here when the 9ers were having their success.

I don’t see them making that same mistake twice.

• You lost me here. Are you talking about RB’s uncovered out the backfield ?
    ________

# SilverAndBlackBleeder Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:11 pm

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Mistic, I say Parcells because him and Al obviously had a relationship. I’m with you though on keeping this thing in the family as much as possible…thats why I say Hue plays a big role. Especially if Mark is honest with himself and he doesn’t know what he’s doing for real. Him and Hue are probably talking right now

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Fisher?!?!?! NO WAY

how long did it take to put together an offense in tenn? They never really did under fischer, another 3 yards and a cloud of dust coach that doesnt fit in here.

“when we break the huddle, we arent looking to move the chains, or get first downs, we want touchdowns”

Al Davis

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Mista – yea, exactly what I’m talking about. Was saying Chargers get their biggest plays now with screens and short passes to Mathews. We gotta be on our A game. Don’t want that killing us like LT killed us with it this year in the Jets game

• DMAC

Yeah, looks like Romac got the message. Played a good game injured. I think he blew his coverage on that play to the TE though, but I could be wrong.

• luvmarvhub

Yes, I know about the Dodger fan boycott, but have you seen the kind of fan the team is now drawing? It only takes an ownership a short time to ruin a franchise and when the brand is tarnished, the wrong crowd takes over.

Last time I went, I said I wouldn’t go back, and I won’t, until I see the kind of people there whom I trust.

• Its a copycat league every team is going to exploit that not just SD until we do something about it.
    _____

# SilverAndBlackBleeder Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

• Dakota

117.MistaBrown Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:09 pm
    ++++++++++++++

Our LBers and safeties are just awful at that. I don’t understand it either. I mean, we usually play man to man, with a 4 man rush, meaning we have 7 defenders covering 5 possible receivers/RBs/TEs….and they still manage to allow RBs to go completely uncovered. I just do not understand it.

• inonewordraider

_____________________________
    If Al wouldn’t want him here he shouldn’t be here and doesn’t look like he did such a good job as a talent evaluator (same could be said for Parcells) but when Hue was hired he mentioned Gruden was his mentor so you’d figure they’d work well together in whatever capacity

• bcz24

New GM????

How would that play with Jackson?

Wouldn’t the new GM want to bring in “his guy”?
    ********************
    Hue is the guy for this team. The team will make that know to any prospective candidates.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

DMAC – he did blow it on that play, but that play was shortly after he got hurt. Good recognition by the Texan’s coaches for real…. Again though, we fought back after that as well. Damn I’m proud of ’em!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# SilverAndBlackBleeder Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:13 pm

==================

i think it is clear, more than anyone Hu jack and saunders understand the Davis evaluation system. Not only do they know it they thrive with it. This goes to both sides of the ball with guys like woodson and beikert on board. The guys that know what the raiders need to continue being the raiders are already in the building.

We didnt have a so called gm we had Davis, the coaches, and davis’s personally appointed scouts. More of the personnel side will fall on the coaches. We are in great hands.

• Stuart Schweigert

Anyone hear of a public memorial service for Al? I watched the video from armchair GM, and I had the chills for about a minute, followed by tears by the three-minute mark. I loved Al Davis, and I absolutely hate the idea of him being gone. This team better realize they are the last chosen ones of the Great One, Al Davis. He put his last hopes and dreams on every single one of them and I pray to God that they realize that. We have to win at home now for Al!
    Thank God Al didn’t die when Kiffin was coach, or any of the other jackasses we’ve had lately. I can’t fathom that. Hue is great, might already be my favorite Raider coach ever because I truly like the man and he already has soaked in what a Raider is, and who Al Davis was. As NoPassingZone said to me: “I would run through a brick wall for Hue, and he would believe in me that I could do it.”

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Mista – agreed…brought up San Diego because thats a team that could kill us with that, whereas other teams could just eat off that a little. Detroit and Best could eat off that a lot too. Doubt Best will be healthy by then though! Lol

• kokomo

How about Charlie Casserly as GM? He and Hue have had a relationship while with the Skins.

• Raiderbuck

I can see Hue moving in as GM and them bringing in another coach. Especially if Hue and the boys win the whole thing!!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

i havent read anyone say they were satisfied with the defense, but the defense is improving. The run defense is leaps and bounds better than any time over the last 5-6 years! 3 of 5 games we have held the running game in check… so far so good.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Mista – in talking about that, we definitely miss Thomas Howard to some degreee. He might not have always made the tackle on backs like LT, but at least he was there to try! Lol

• Our O-line had a rough day yesterday I look for them to settle back into that groove against Clev and give JC a nice pocket to work with.

Hue, no more deep balls near the sidelines I cant stomach JaSoup throwing it out of bounds. Start using the hash marks for deep stuff, ok ?

• DeuceDeuce

Interested to see the Defensive play calling now.

How much truth is there to the “Al runs the D” rumors.

• inonewordraider

but LA? Naw, I just don’t see it.
    _____________________
    I’ll repeat that I want the Raiders in Oakland. The players have embraced the city and are closer than they could ever be in such a big city like LA. It should be mentioned however that Al was open to moving back LA

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

I guarantee there is already a list of guys the Davis has identified to take over some of the day to day ops.

Davis always has a plan

• DMAC

SilverAndBlackBleeder Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

DMAC – he did blow it on that play, but that play was shortly after he got hurt. Good recognition by the Texan’s coaches for real…. Again though, we fought back after that as well. Damn I’m proud of ‘em!
    =======
    I’ve been one of the guys, talking schit about Romac, but I think he showed a little toughness yesterday. Pretty solid game all the way around, especially finally stopping the run.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Mistic – I’m satisfied anytime we hold a team under 24 pts. That should be a W for us every time.