Players show up to talk about victory, Al Davis and fans

Coach Hue Jackson gave his players “victory Monday” for their effort in a come-from-behind, 25-20 victory over the Houston Texans on Sunday. Even so, several players showed up anyway to talk about the events from the weekend.
Linebacker Bruce Davis II blocked a punt against the Texans that the Raiders parlayed into one of Sebastian Janikowski’s four field goals. Playing a pivotal role in the Raiders’ first game without managing general partner Al Davis carried added significance.
Davis II first met Al Davis when his father, Bruce, joined the Raiders in 1979 as an offensive tackle. Davis II was 2 at the time, he said.
“I don’t really remember it,” Davis II said. “There are a couple of pictures. When you’re that age, everybody is a new face and you kind of want to play with everybody. My family has pictures of it and really fond memeories of our time with Al. He’s going to be missed.”
When Davis II joined the Raiders early last season, he spoke with Mr. Davis.
“When I first got here, Al called me and the first thing he said was, ‘The last time I saw you, you were running around this facility knocking things over,’ ” Davis II said. “He’s been a part of my life and my family’s life. He gave two generations of Davis men the opportunity to live out our dreams and play football. Since I was a kid, I wanted to be a Raider. I grew up watching my dad. There’s nothing like that silver and black jersey.”
It wasn’t just Davis II that Mr. Davis had the book on. One of his endearing traits to players was his penchant for taking time to learn about a person before he introduced himself for the first time.
Safety Jerome Boyd learned about that trait when he joined the Raiders in 2009 as a practice-squad player.
“He used to come out to practices and say hi,” Boyd said. “I came in as a free agent, so I didn’t think he knew everything about me, but the first time I met him he went all the way back to my high school years. He knew about everything from my high school years till I came here for the first time. It was amazing for somebody to know everything about everybody.”

ANOTHER OIL CHANGE?
Cornerback Chris Johnson likened his groin surgery during training camp to nothing more than an “oil change.” So, what has he done to take care of the hamstring injury he suffered against the Denver Broncos and aggravated against New York Jets?
“Hamstrings happen all the time, when you’re dealing with receivers, corners, stuff like that,” Johnson said. “You’re always going to have a strain sometimes. You just have to deal with it and get by.”
Johnson said he intends to work on individual drills Wednesday and see where he’s at in terms of his recovery. There’s even a chance he will play Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.
Johnson has missed the past two games.

VIDEOTAPE STUDY PAYS OFF
Besides Davis II’s blocked punt and Janikowski’s four field goals, the Raiders turned the tide of the Texans game with another special teams gem.
This one came as a result of Rock Cartwright audibling out of a punt and into a fake, with Cartwright taking the direct snap from Jon Condo and rambling 35 yards for a first down.
“We had it last year, we had it this year,” Cartwright said. “We worked on it in practice a couple times. Same way it worked out in practice was the same way it worked out in the game.”
The Raiders were looking for a particular look from the Texans, Cartwright said. The alert was on earlier in the game, but Cartwright nixed the fake when he didn’t like what he saw from the Texans.
Finally, he liked what he saw and barked out the change with his cadence. Mike Mitchell was assigned to negate the lone defender on the edge.
“Mike Mitchell told me he would get the guy -– he was on the edge,” Cartwright said. “He did that. Give credit to him for allowing me to believe in him and in being accountable on his part. Overall, it was just a great team play, special teams play, and it turned out to be a big play for the Raiders.”

RAIDERS TOUCHED BY SUPPORT
When the Raiders returned to their year-round facility in Alameda on Sunday night, they were greeted by several hundred fans.
Davis II said he and others were touched by the show of support in light of their big victory and the passing of Davis.
“I was giving out hugs, kissing babies,” Davis II said. “It was great. When you have a fan base like that and they support you that much you just have to give back to them as much as we can. Just the few minutes of our time that we had to give to them they appreciated it so much and we appreciated them just as much.”
Rookie cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke said he was overwhelmed by the sign-holding, screaming fans who showed up long after the game ended.
“That was the first time I’ve ever seen that my whole life, probably 300, 400 fans,” Van Dyke said. “I feel like a rock star pretty much. It was crazy. They were showing support. I stayed a couple of hours with the fans talking to them. It was humbling.”
Players described a scene in which the parking lot was overflowing, making it impossible for them to drive away for quite some time. They didn’t mind, though.
“They all had signs for Al,” Davis II said. “They were all dressed up in silver and black. It was great to see that kind of support after the emotional weekend that we had. To have all those people that are fans of this franchise and supporters of Al and his family, to have them all there meant so much to us as players and, I’m sure the Davis family and this whole organization.”

MARK DAVIS’ ROLE
Much has been made about how the organization is going to function now that Mr. Davis has passed away. He had a hand in the organization for most of the past 49 years.
Davis’ son Mark, along with Davis’ widow, Carole, inherits the stake of the franchise that Davis held for so many years. However, it remains unclear how things are going to change, if at all, moving forward.
Johnson said he doesn’t expect anything to change, at least in the short term.
“No, not at all,” Johnson said. “If anything, it’s going to be like the same. I don’t think whoever takes over, whatever the case might be, they know how Mr. Davis was and how he wanted the organization ran, how the team ran. So, whoever does the hiring is going to be (follow) that guideline.”
As for the Raiders’ style of play that became so distintive under Davis?
“We’re still, as the silver and black, going to play the same type of ball, going to be the same team,” Johnson said. “It’s just the bottom line.”
Mitchell said he now sees Mark Davis in a different light.
“Now that Mark is I guess going to be the owner — I need to stop calling him Mark, Mr. Davis – now that he’s going to be taking over, as long as I’m here that I’m going to play my heart out for the rest of my career. It’s a life-changing thing.”
Mitchell said he is forever grateful to Mr. Davis for selecting him in the second round of the NFL draft.
“I’m just a guy from a small town in Kentucky who just loves playing football,” Mitchell said. “And for Mr. Davis to take a shot on me like that, I’ve got to pay it back to him. Somehow, someway, I’ve got to pay it back to him, and the only way I know how to pay it back to him is to bring a championship to him.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• No Mas Diamante

Wiz is a player. So is barksdale after he settled in.

• Sullivan44

No Mas Diamante,

The Raiders are second to last in profitability, only better than the Jacksonville Jaguars. There could be a billion Raider fans in the world. Trask’s job is to get them to spend money on the Raiders, not just boast of their fanaticism.

• hwnrdr

2-2 in non divisional games, which is better than I would have expected (Buffalo, Jets, Pats, Texans) and 1-0 in the division thus far in which I did expect! Now we have 1 non divisional game, but another AFC opponent with 3 division games in a row! I say we can win this next 4 and possibly beat Minnesota in the Dome…they just really gotta play like they said they will…for Al, but mostly they have to believe!

• nobody is “insinuating” anything.
    flat out calling you a douche bag, how ya liking them apples?

• Oakland Raiders To Honor Al Davis On October 16th Against Browns

I am sure that most of you have already heard that the Oakland Raiders will be honoring Mr. Davis’ life and memory at this Sunday’s contest against the Cleveland Browns.

The team has made it official through Twitter and I will fill you all in as details come in. I know that i will be in early in order to soak it all in. Raider Nation has never been so connected. It is as if this loss has created a black hole that is pulling everyone into the center.

If you have been affected by this weekend, then do yourself a favor and be there. Something great is brewing and I know that the fans, team and players are look at getting after it on Sunday.

• Sullivan44 Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

No Mas Diamante,
    ====================
    Its a trap, dun do eet!!

• No Mas Diamante

Oct. 16th. i will be there. Bringing the wife and kid. gonna be a great day in raider lore.

• hwnrdr

Wasbanned Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:19 pm
    Oakland Raiders To Honor Al Davis On October 16th Against Browns

I’ll be there! I wouldn’t miss it for the world!

• No Mas Diamante

Woll be rockin the white velour swetsuit with the raider patch over the heart.

• RaiderLen

TerrapinRaider Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:17 pm
    On to Wiz. I know EVERYONE noticed Wiz opening up those holes at Center. That was the 1 drive where we were having consistent success running the ball. Satele is doing a good job this season but boy Wiz is something to watch out for. That kid is a baller.
    —————————————

That will show up on film. 🙂

Eventually we’ll see Wiz at C, Campbell at RG and Barksdale at either LG or RT.

That will be fun.

• Sullivan44

No Mas Diamante, you’re spinning. I already addressed the benefit of the doubt she deserves considering the company she worked for. And my point regarding that was that nobody forced her to stay, either. She stayed all along, she’s as accountable as anyone.

• EMRaiders

Let’s think about this from Al’s point of view. Knowing Al (not personally, but historically) you have to think that a plan was laid for this day a long time ago. Mark has said he is not interested in taking over the football operations, so there has to be someone hired to handle solely that. Amy will stay in charge of the business side of things, but the decision to hire “the football guy” will be made between Amy, Mark, and possibly the other stake holders in the team. You have to think that now that Davis is gone, all the other partners are going to be wondering how their ivestment is going to be handled. Sure, Mark and Carole have final say, but money talks, and this might be a cause for issues such as moving the team and selling the team to arise. I just hope that all these issues are kept behind closed doors and they don’t spill onto the field.

They need to keep Al in mind and make a decision based on Al’s belief. That being that any decision made, will be solely made with the Raiders best interest in mind.

But like I said, I believe that Al left detailed steps on what to do when this day came. And for all we know, “a Football guy” has already been picked by Al a long time ago.

By the way, I have never seen, heard, or experience anything like how the fans reacted to Al’s passing in any other sport in any other country, ever.

This is truly one unique fanbase, culture, nation, family. RAIDER NATION!

GO RAIDERS! RIP AL!

• No Mas Diamante

My wife hates football. Even she shed a tear for Al after she saw Hue adressing the team after the game. It wqas her idea to go to the game next sunday. after all these years she finally get’s it. lol

• No Mas Diamante Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

—————-
    That is awesome!! See you there!!

• Raiders for life

@414
    I read an article that basically said that AD had laid out the organization so that his wife and son would retain sole ownership with no possible way of other share holders taking control.
    I don’t have a link or remember where I read that, been drinking too much.

• I had the privilege of being in Houston yesterday, but short of winning the lottery this week, have no way to get to Oakland this weekend.

Can’t wait to hear the roar of the Raider Nation on the TV!!!!!

RAIDERS roll the Browns!

• EMRaiders

#417 – Well if that is true, then that is a classic masterfully crafted move and plan by Al. he truly was a great mind.

• Amy Task deserves a lot of credit for keeping the Raiders from not going bankrupt the way Al was spending money.

• Kirk

420.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

………………………………………….

LOL!

• ArmChair GM

# DKnight007 Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

How many of you were at Raider Headquarters last night to welcome the team back, after a job well done for getting a BIG win yesterday for their legendary Boss?

I attended with 3 other Nation pals and it was something I will never forget.
    _______________________________________________________

I was there. It was surreal. I’m still buzzing about it right now. It was the first thing Hue mentioned in his press conference today. The team was clearly moved by it.

Hue said he had never seen nothing like that in his history in football. He said it was like the Raiders had won the Superbowl or something.

That’s the passion that we have for the Raiders here. Even Bill Romanowski commented that part of it was an outpouring and symbol of the joy that Raider Fans felt for the team because Al Davis brought them back home to Oakland.

• morilla

Al already had hist list of who he wanted to succeed him. This plan started long ago. You think Al didn’t have all aspects of this org after he was gone covered? He probably started his plan as soon as he found out he was ill.

Out there right now is the GM of the Raiders. They just haven’t released the name yet.

• Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

——————–
    LMFAO!!

Al Davis could sure go through the Benjamins!!

He must off made her so mad at times, staying on top of it.

• AMY TRASK FOR NFL EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR!!

• Raiders are 5.5 point favorites this week.

It won’t even be that close.

Raiders will dominate.

• HueKnows

Raiders For Life Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:35 pm
    @414
    I don’t have a link or remember where I read that, been drinking too much.
    **********************************************
    maybe this is it. im just stoned

repost

• JLofty

I’d hate to be a Brownstain from Cleveland (well most any time but) this week.
    It’s going to be ROCKIN @ the COLI!!!

• raiderkoolaid

This will be the first game all year that The Raiders are actually the favorites. That is how they stacked the schedule to try to bury The Raiders early and get SD off to a big lead, but The Raiders upset their plans by going 3-2 with it.

• raiderkoolaid

They also gave them Cleavland with the browns coming off a bye, and then the next week gave them KC with them coming off a bye. Two weeks in a row that the opponents got an extra week to prepare.

• CorkOnTheNFL Steve Corkran
    #Raiders safety Michael Huff said he intends to give the ball he intercepted to seal the Raiders’ victory over Texans to the Davis family.

• JLofty

Atta boy Huff!

• ghostraiders

I’m sure Cleveland browns fan is not too excited about comming to Oakland this Sunday. … if the raiders come out and play like al’s Raiders. . This game will be over by half time….. raiders cannot let this team hang around. …take them out ASAP! !

• qodrn

What do we know about Mark Davis? Does he have any kids? How big is the Davis family?

• Silverandblack666

Mark Davis is one cool cat look who his dad is.

• raiderkoolaid

Looks like the officials have a nice drive going against the Lions.

• ghostraiders

Koolaid…. its no secret the NFL hated al Davis. .. but al knew that…. he just dealt with and would say… OK.were going to win anyway!! I heard Tim brown talking this morning on radio… regarding the tuck rule game…. he said gruden let it slip out when gruden said..”their never going to let you guys win here”…. Tim brown couldn’t believe what he heard… gruden knew the NFL had it in for al Davis and the raiders… brown also felt disheartened to hear gruden say. .you guys….like he wasn’t a part of them…

• Silverandblack666

Mark Davis is a classically handsome man I bet he has a ton of lady friends.

• da trinity

Mike mayock for Gm. What u guys think

• zopi

All props to those in Radier Nation who were there and here through thick and thin, holding the fort against all haters. You all know who you are, who insulted the faithful, what was the latest crap you called us “bootlickers”?

And yet, look around how many of certified haters are coming out in praise of Mr. Davis. FYI look at the LA Times sports’ drivel. Hear those talking radio and tv heads that mocked Mr. Davis to insanity, and now can’t get enough to say and praise. Skippy said something like that this morning.

Heard JT the Brick this afternoon in LA radio talking pretty much about this situation. I haven’t heard much from JT lately, but I know he was always there to defend Mr. Davis and the Raider Nation. All props to JT.

I’m not surprised by John Madden story, but was totally taken by Parcells’ story on Al Davis. Amazing coming from him, I didn’t know how far back they went. I know Parcells might not be a long term plan for the Raiders GM; but, it wouldn’t hurt to bring him in to workout a transition. Now that I know this story, there seems to be a lot similar traits between them.

In terms of ownership, I know that here in SoCal we want the Raiders in Farmers Field, with a partnership of the Al Davis Estate, Magic Johnson, and AEG, and take the team to corporate stratosphere, something that would look more like the Lakers. Cork wrote that he feels the Raiders will move to LA.

However, the Raiders belong in Oaktown, and the people of the Oaktown and Alameda County got to lay claim to the Raiders. Could a deal like the Green Bay Packers be possible? Would the people and community own the team? The people in Green Bay own 100,000 shares, can we find 100,000 people in Oaktown, and surrounding Freakmonts, to buy shares, let’s say at 5,000 each. And could we find 200,000 and build a state of the art stadium to stand for the next 50 years? Without a doubt, in partnership with the Davis Family Estate. Keep it real and to the people who deserve the team, Let’s all be Raiders.

• TerrapinRaider

Even Hue’s presser today was emotional reading. A lot of ppl just had Al all wrong. He was all about the Raiders and winning. Hue was/is the right man for the job. He understood where Davis was coming from and embrased it.

• That last Detroit play looked like raider ball in terrible colors.

• Megatron is a BEAST!

• wasbanned Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Megatron is a BEAST!
    ————-
    word,,

• edward teach

Tirico just said that some stats geeks (can’t remember who) calculated Calvin Johnson’s reach and vertical and determined that he could concievably catch a ball that was 12 feet in the air.

Good thing he doesn’t run a 4.3… oh, wait.

• ghostraiders

I know hue knows he has to win… but I’m hoping he hangs with the Raiders for a long time.. win a Superbowl or two….I know for a fact that hue grew up a Raiders fan from sounth central l.a. …Dorsey high school… he talked about hopping the la memorial coliseum fence with his friends to watch the Raiders on Sundays. .. in the early 80s…. I bet al Davis got a kick outta that story. ..

• Sullivan44

420.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 10th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

………….

Interesting point. Makes me think of the president. While some blame him for the economy, it could be that he prevented it from becoming a full blown depression.

• Sullivan44

Ha ha. The Bears just tried to go Detroit Lions with the deep ball, and it was as pathetic as it sounds. Desperation, on 2. Break.

• ghostraiders

Stfu!! Sullivan44.. you loser!! How much will the Raiders lose by vs the Cleveland browns??. You stupid ahole! ! Raider hater… get outta here!” Can’t stand you man.. . ..you really have some nerve posting here!!

• priesttj

Do you see the timing they have between Megatron and Stafford it’s a trustthat takes time to establish. If JC would just trust that his players would make those plays you’d see much more accurate throws. Satfford knows if he puts it up there is a 80% if caught it’ll be Megatron. That or a penalty there’s very little chance of a pick.

Yetserday JC put one up and Ford just watched as the ball was picked off. That tells JC I can’t trust him like i thought I could. Whereas Moore will go after it throwing deep is very hard because if you do it’s ahrd to gage one players speed over anothers.

Everyone was beggig JC to go deep all the time now you see why he wasn’t doing much of it. When there is not great timing between QB and WR it’s almost a throw away play.

As for the outabounds throws there is no excuse if you’re going to throw it keep it in bounds unless you know he has no chance but you can see he has very little chemistry with our rec’s.

• ghostraiders

Sullivan. .. stfu. .and learn something!” Remember trash face!! .you scum bag fool!!