Coach Hue Jackson: LB Curry will play one position, be ‘great’

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, October 13th, 2011 at 1:46 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders still are awaiting word from the league on the approval of their trade for Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker Aaron Curry.
Coach Hue Jackson said he is excited about the prospect of welcoming aboard Curry, who fell from favor with the Seahawks a little more than two years after being selected with the No. 4 pick of the 2009 NFL draft.
“Very close, very close,” Jackson said of the status of the trade, “and when it’s completed, I’ll be very excited about it. Very excited about it.”
Curry struggled with the Seahawks, especially in pass coverage. The knock on him is that he lacks the necessary football instincts to succeed in the NFL.
Jackson said he watched plenty of videotape of Curry, and he is convinced that Curry can be a productive player for the Raiders.
The key, Jackson said, is finding what Curry does best, turning him loose and reaping the dividends.
“I don’t want to put him in a whole bunch of spots,” Jackson said. “I want to let him play one thing and let him become great because the guy has great talent.”
Jackson makes it sound as if Curry is without flaw. Curry’s play the past two-plus seasons with the Seahawks suggests otherwise.
Recently, the Seahawks benched Curry in favor of rookie K.J. Wright, a fourth-round draft pick. Even so, Jackson is undeterred.
“He’s athletic, he can run, he tackles, he takes on linemen, he takes on backs,” Jackson said. “He’s a really good football player. Obviously, I can’t speak to what went on up there, but I know what’s going to go on here. So I’m excited about getting him.”

UNSETTLING PATTERN
If form holds, the Raiders will lose to the Browns on Sunday.
The rationale? The Raiders won the opener, lost the second game, won the third, lost the fourth and won last Sunday.
Jackson said it’s time to break the pattern.
“I don’t like that,” Jackson said. “That’s not the kind of football we want to play. The expectation here is raised. We’re not about that win-lose, win-lose stuff. Hopefully, that’s a thing of the past. We’ve been doing a little bit of it but I didn’t like it and I told our team I don’t like it.
“If we’re going to be the team I think we can become we have to get out of that mode. Every game we got to go into it with the expectation of winning and then we have to find a way to win it.”

PRYOR IS A QUARTERBACK
Jackson on Wednesday was a tad ambiguous about his plans for rookie quarterback Terrelle Pryor, saying he wanted to get a look at him in practice so that he could decide how best to use his talents.
On Thursday, Jackson clarified his stance on Pryor’s future with the Raiders. For now, at least, there aren’t any plans to convert him to wide receiver, tight end or any other position.
“He’s still a quarterback,” Jackson said. “Terrelle Pryor’s going to play quarterback for the Raiders. He’s not playing anything else.”

WIMBLEY-MCCOY INEXTRICABLY LINKED
When Raiders linebacker Kamerion Wimbley plays the Browns on Sunday, he will be assigned to get after quarterback Colt McCoy on a regular basis.
Seems only fitting, given the Browns selected McCoy with the 2010 third-round draft pick they received from the Raiders in a trade for Wimbley before the draft.
The Raiders received that third-rounder as part of the compensation they netted from the New England Patriots in a trade of defensive end Derrick Burgess.
Wimbley responded with a team-high nine sacks last season. He has only one sack this season but he has been productive nonetheless, Jackson and defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said.
“I’ve been going back and reviewing film and I’ve been getting a lot of pressures,” Wimbley said. “It might not result in me getting a sack but if one of my other teammates gets one, it’s just as good. So, as long as we’re getting back there, affecting the quarterback and making plays on defense, I’m doing my job.”
Jackson said Wimbley’s sack total is a result of teams paying more attention to Wimbley. However, it’s just a matter of time before the sacks show up again.
“Teams find ways, different ways to block him, because he had such a good year a year ago,” Jackson said. “What he has to do is find a different way to get there. That’s what we’re trying to do. He’s going to be fine. It’s still early in the year. He’s going to start getting some of those sacks in bunches here pretty soon.”
Bresnahan said Wimbley is fresh from his best game of the season.
“We’ve got to put our playmakers on defense in position to make plays,” Bresnahan said. “I heard the question before about the one sack. He’s getting better every game, he really is. He’s accomplishing and filling his role on this defense right now.
Would we like to see a little more production and getting him involved a little bit more? Absolutely, but I can help that.”

HUFF SIDELINED ONCE AGAIN
Add free safety Michael Huff to the list of players who weren’t healthy enough to practice Thursday. Once again, his sore ankle has flared up.
Jackson said he is confident that Huff will be well enough to play Sunday, though. He also isn’t ruling out fullback Marcel Reece returning to action this Sunday. He has missed the past two games.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• RaiderLen

Lochness Campbell lives on!!!
    ————————
    I’m riding the monster until the end!

• Just Fire Baby

Crazy that Davis makes an impact play with the blocked punt and gets axed.

Bones Fassel must have confidence that it is his schemes, not his players blocking all these punts.

• realtruraider

@Aaron59Curry Aaron Curry
    Raider Nation!!!!! STAND UP!!!!! #RaiderNation #RaiderNation #RaiderNation Silver n Black #JustWinBaby pic.twitter.com/yUH7L7UY
    ===========================
    Love it, he sounds pumped up. I think he will bring some more energy and some swagger to this D

• Just Fire Baby

When I play you in FFL, 666, my azz-whopping on you will be biblical!!!

• inonewordraider

J-Raider Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 1:55 pm
    finnegan in silver and black = beast mode pass d!!

____________________________________________
    They need receivers and we gotta bunch, Hue’s is definitely scouring the league to improve the team…

• Blackmamba_20

I get the feeling Burce Campbell is a confidence type guy, once he gets a few good collisons on he’d thrive, and get better an better..

• aig-raiders

Curry is from North Carolina. They’re deeply religious in that part of the country. He grew up with that indoctrination. He can’t help it.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

• Silverandblack666

Whats your team called JFB?

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

9.Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 1:51 pm
    Think Hue called Cabes and got his input on Curry?

Weren’t the two supposed to be life-long friends?

ROTFLOL…Hey JFB, Do you honestly think Coach Hue and the Cable guy talk on their cell phones or tweet each other? I Highly doubt it. lol

• Silverandblack666

“Here’s a guy bringing up the bible on a Raiders blog, who’s been on this same blog, bragging about cheating on his wife….go figure.”

Defiantly a Republican!

• Kirk

There’s a lot of cheating in the bible….

Just sayin’

• Blackmamba_20

lmao

• Just Fire Baby

LOL……I love life so much I decided to live two of them.

• Just Fire Baby

Whats your team called JFB?

*******************

Uhhhhh…..the JFB’s

LOL!!!!

• Silverandblack666

Good point AIG

• Just Fire Baby

OK…no more LOL’s

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Bragging about cheating on your wife on a blog, isn’t too classy.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

LOL…You are very funny JFB.

• RaiderLen

Blackmamba_20 Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:30 pm
    —————————–
    I’m speculating, but I think it has to do with assignments and consistency. Which of course when mastered will lead to increased confidence.

He has to be able to process info at game speed.

Just speculation.

• JLofty

Jacoby ain’t going to another team ANY time soon. And trading a guy who has been hurt (Murphy) is VERY hard to do. Very….

• LA to TheBay

aig-raiders Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

———-

Actually, I don’t think that’s accurate. Apparently, he only recently found Jesus.

• ElkGRaider

Chaos…get me in

Oaktown 27 – DooDoo 10

Gonna be so much energy in the O!

I hear you Inone but were are headed to bigger things!

• aig-raiders

666,

Just got done doing 3 yrs in the deep South and religion is a business down there. IMHO, religion is helping some Black folks down there and holding back a bunch of them back at the same time too.

• Silverandblack666

I have scored more points than you JFB!

• JLofty

Kell, cheating on one’s wife isn’t particularly classy either…

• aig-raiders

LA to TheBay Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:35 pm
    aig-raiders Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

———-

—————–
    If you are correct, then Born Again folks are the worst……

• LA to TheBay

Silverandblack666 Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Defiantly a Republican!

—————

LMAO! Only way he would be true republican is if he were thumping the bible while cheating on his wife with a dude.

(Sorry, my righty friends).

• Just Fire Baby

If I remember correctly, the first play that Barksdale came in for Bruce Campbell, he completely whiffed in pass protection.

Wasn’t enough for Hue to roll with Bruce Campbell.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

Sup JLofty? How are you buddy?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Nope.

• Just Fire Baby

I have scored more points than you JFB!

***************************

You haven’t played me yet.

I am were Fantasy Points go to die.

Last year, I scored the least points, and was 15 points away from the championship game.

• RaiderLen

JLofty Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:35 pm
    Kell, cheating on one’s wife isn’t particularly classy either…
    ———————-
    lol, syntax police at work.

• Just Fire Baby

******************************

I’m sure there was a bible in the drawer of the hotel room.

• LA to TheBay

aig-raiders Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:35 pm
    666,

————–

Couldn’t agree more. I am the first to tell you religion is BS and puts unecessary blocks between peoples based on ancient, outdate fairy tales (sorry my faithful friends, just my opinion), but at the same time local churches get folks together and do really admirable things.

Me and my girl did some volunteer work for a local baptist church for a battered women’s center and you can just see how much they appreciate it and folks coming out and contributing for no other reason than its the right thing to do.

• aig-raiders

JFB this is for you…..

“With the Bible, you have to read it, understand it, apply it and deliver it,” Curry said. “That’s how you understand it. And that’s what I need to do to understand the playbook — read it, understand it, apply it and deliver it. My faith and obedience is definitely helping to elevate my game on the field.”

• Blackmamba_20

70.RaiderLen Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:34 pm
    Blackmamba_20 Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:30 pm
    —————————–

He has to be able to process info at game speed.

Just speculation.

===

Well put, he does seem very basic(in a nice way)when ive seen him interviewd .. Hopefully he is working hard.

• RaiderLen

I’m sure there was a bible in the drawer of the hotel room.
    ——————-
    Compliments of the Gideon society.

Founded by a couple of AA dudes.

• LA to TheBay

Founded by a couple of AA dudes.

———–

Who HAVE to be in cahoots with Folgers and Philip Morris.

• JB

We need to see more reps of BCampbell & Barksdale. I see a O-line of Veldheer, Barksdale, Wiz 2.0, Bcampbell & Barnes. I believe this line-up will far surpass our current lineup. Carlisle & Satele are weak against power up the middle. With Barksdale, Wiz & Bcampbell in the middle, the pocket will be secure. that also gives us a student-body left anytime we want it.

Make it happen Hue. Make the O-line better!

• Just Fire Baby

So is Curry telling us he has a firmer grasp on the bible than his playbook?

Not what any HC would want to hear, but he has a new slate here, and from what I can tell, the defensive playbook is not like deciphering Genesis.

• aig-raiders

JFB,

did you say a prayer or read a verse before you did your dirty deeds? But no worries, Christianity allows you to wash your sins on Sundays anyways. It’s all good bro.

• LA to TheBay

———–

“Aaron, take that guy.”

• RaiderLen

LA To TheBay Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:43 pm
    Founded by a couple of AA dudes.

———–

Who HAVE to be in cahoots with Folgers and Philip Morris.
    ————————-
    LMFAO….

Cross marketing at it’s finest. :)

That’s funny LA.

• LA to TheBay

Outta here early today, Nation.

Be good.

• Blackmamba_20

JB

Has Barksdale had many snaps, G OR RT.. I think Samson has done ok so far but theres plenty of room for improvment i agree

• RaiderLen

JB Says:
    October 13th, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Make it happen Hue. Make the O-line better!
    ————————————-
    Where do I sign.

Is there a petition?

• LA to TheBay

LMFAO….

Cross marketing at it’s finest.

That’s funny LA.

——–

My mom’s been sober for going on 9 years now. She doesn’t go to meeting anymore really, but i went to several with her and I’ve never seen anything like it. 7PM and the third pot of coffee is going and there’s a smoke break every 10 minutes.

• LA to TheBay

OK, out for real.

• Just Fire Baby

AIG,

You left me open to crack wise in many directions, but I will leave good enough alone.

Are you selling things in CA yet?