DT Seymour, former Raiders QB Gannon on Palmer trade

Here’s the transcript of an interview conducted by former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon with Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour today on SiriusXM NFL Radio:

Gannon: “Let’s start with [Bengals owner] Mike Brown first and foremost. You know, he gets a lot of criticism for the way he’s run that organization over the years but he does come out, in this situation, like a genius. I mean, I think he showed great patience, he rolled the dice in a big way, had teams not lost quarterbacks or had a real need, maybe Carson Palmer would’ve sat the entire year. I think he kinda dug his feet into the ground and said, ‘Hey listen, here’s how we’re going to do this thing, we’re not going to deal Palmer.’ I think he sent that message out right up to the trade deadline. It’s a game of kind of Russian Roulette and it worked out well for him. To think they could pick up a first rounder this year, a potential first round or second round pick next year, I mean, what a great deal for the Bengals.”

Gannon: “Now, on the flipside, let’s look at it from the Oakland Raiders’ perspective. [Head coach] Hue Jackson goes back with Carson Palmer a long, long way. They were together at USC when Carson was in college, they were together in Cincinnati, they have a very close relationship. My sense is that they were probably talking along the way. I’m sure Carson’s reached out to him for advice. I’m not so sure that Hue Jackson was convinced or sold on Jason Campbell. I think that was an Al Davis deal. Hue was doing the best he could. I think when Jason went down this opened up the door [to the] the possibility that they could do something with Carson. I think they got together as a staff, as an organization and said, ‘Let’s put our best foot forward and let’s see if we can address the quarterback situation for awhile.’ If they bring in Carson Palmer that’s it for Jason Campbell. You’re looking at Carson being the starting quarterback there for the next half dozen years. He is 31 years old, some people feel like his best days are behind him, but you look at what the Raiders gave up, not much of a draft left in 2012. The first four picks are all gone; they only have a 5 and a 6 left. I know there was some talk about they explored the possibility of a potential trade with Philadelphia for Vince Young. In my opinion, this is a much better deal for the Raiders. They get Carson Palmer, he can step in there and start tomorrow, he understands the system. I think this is great news if you’re a Raiders fan.”

Seymour then joins Gannon and his co-host Adam Schein on SiriusXM NFL Radio today to discuss the Palmer trade:

Seymour: “One thing that I can take from Carson is just him being a field general out on the field and his leadership ability to get some interesting guys together and try to get them all on the same page. I really remember him being out on the field and, in a sense, directing traffic, getting guys lined up and putting them in the right position. Obviously, it’ll be a learning curve for him because he hasn’t played football in awhile but I’m excited to have a leader on that side of the ball of his caliber. Anytime you have an opportunity to acquire someone of Carson’s pedigree I don’t think it’s something that you can pass up on. When you look at it, Carson and Hue Jackson’s days, they go back to USC when Carson was the Heisman Trophy winner, the first pick in the NFL Draft and a Pro Bowl quarterback. Just with that pedigree alone I think it brings a lot to what we’re trying to do and I think it’s also a statement from the Raiders in terms of the commitment to excellence. This is just another key ingredient to what we’re trying to accomplish.”

Seymour: “We’re going to welcome Carson in with open arms and have him be a part of the commitment to excellence here. I think this move was just another example of the Raiders’ commitment to excellence.”

On Jason Campbell:

Gannon: “I know this a part of the business but you’ve got to feel bad for Jason Campbell. I know he’s worked so hard at this. I thought he showed great leadership, along with yourself in the offseason, getting the players together to work out. What are your thoughts on what he’s going through right now?”

Seymour: “It has to be tough for him. Jason is a guy I have a ton of respect for. He’s one of the first guys into the building and one of the last to leave. He’s a total team player. Whatever is best for everybody, not necessarily what’s best for Jason, is what he’s all about. You can never have enough guys like that on your team. He obviously got the receivers together to get their timing down in the offseason. So Jason’s still going to be a leader for us and you never know when your number is going to be called in this business again.”

On the cost of acquiring Palmer:

Schein: “You’re a player. You want to win a Super Bowl right now, you want to make the playoffs right now. Do you care about the future necessarily in terms of trading all these draft picks? I’m asking you these questions because it’s part of the story here when you take a look at giving up all the draft picks for next year, when you look at Carson and Pryor and Campbell, you know, you guys don’t have a draft. You came from a place (New England) where they live for the Draft and they were successful stockpiling in the NFL Draft. Does that concern you?”

Seymour: “Well, in my eyes, back when I won the Super Bowl, we won the Super Bowl in 2004. It’s 2011 now so you can have as many Draft picks as you want to and say, ‘I have a good team,’ but at the end of the day, you know, the Packers are the only team that at the end of the day say, ‘Hey, we got it done.’ Obviously, you want to make smart business decisions in everything that you do. I mean, there was a lot of ‘Should they do it or shouldn’t they do it?’ in the process of picking me so it’s always going to be both sides of the spectrum. But at the end of the day it’s what that player does when he gets there that decides: Was it a good deal or wasn’t it a good deal? So, you know, it still remains to be seen. That chapter is still open.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• Drexl, were do get your medicine info, something you studied for long time?

• I hear they wanted Palmer to have Tommy John surgery, 2 years back.

I also hear his arm ain’t what it used to be.

• J Hill

Lets not have over the top expectations for Palmer.

——————————————————

I don’t at all.

I think this team will and should be lead by the running game and defense.

The opportunities to go deep are presented by our running game being so good. That should not change. I hope Hue sticks with getting our RBs a combined 25 plus carries per game.

Let’s not forget DMac is the straw that stirs this drink!

• Let’s not forget DMac is the straw that stirs this drink!
    ———————————————
    And what if he goes down, video boy?

• KoolKell Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I hear they wanted Palmer to have Tommy John surgery, 2 years back.
    =============
    True, but I hear he has great arm strength and has fully recovered, kinda supporting his decision to NOT have the dreaded Tommy Johns surgery.

Any other negatives about Palmer you are worried about?

I thought you were on board with Hues decision making, why such the long face.

• djohnnyg

289.Whats a Drexl? Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:05 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Like Kurt Warner said, it’s a good trade, IF, Palmer can play like he used to.

And there’s not one of you video boys with that answer., yet!

======================
    are you drinking, you make zero sence

Nobody knows what ANYBODY will do in the future.

Even Palmer’s “bad year” last year is better than Campbell THIS year.

It’s an upgrade. Let Mark Amy and Hue worry about the cost of this.

Like Hue said, we’ll worry about 2012 when it comes and we’ll be fine.

• KoolKell Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Let’s not forget DMac is the straw that stirs this drink!
    ———————————————
    And what if he goes down, video boy?

====================
    KK come back when you sober up. You sound furious about this trade.

• You guys get so gawdamned carried away! Out.

• autopalm77 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Carson Palmer has not lost any weight….231 lbs….He wears protective gear while playing his position like most NFL quarterback…..
    ________________________________________________________

just go look at the pictures, his face totally changed, he has at least lost 10-15 lbs since last time he saw a uniform…

• KoolKell Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

You guys get so gawdamned carried away! Out.

==========================
    Somebody is pist,

• KoolKell Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I hear they wanted Palmer to have Tommy John surgery, 2 years back.

I also hear his arm ain’t what it used to be.
    _________________________________________________________

KK why so negative? Palmer with his eyes closed is better than Campbell..

• La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

autopalm77 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

________________________________________________________

==================
    LOL 😉

• RaiderLen

f*ck that! i’d rather have palmer drawing plays in the dirt than boller.
    ——————————————
    Me too!

• priesttj

The thing that keeps popping in my head is when Hue jackson looked at Jason Campbell with that incredulous look like what the hell was that in Houston and I felt embarrassed for JC. It told me a lot about what Hue really thinks about JC I know he likes like a brother but Hue wants a dynamic talent who WOWS him not a guy he has to prod. He wanted a talent at QB that makes him sit up and take notice and be thrilled by the ability to make plays.

The look on his face at the presser was like he just married Halle Berry and he knows CP better than anyone he knows what to do with him and how go get him ready Hue is extremely smart a lot smarted than I ever thought he was.

• bcz24

Did we pick up Shephard or not? Haven’t seen this anywhere but here…
    ************
    It was reported by a few people on Twitter that he was in for a workout. No word if he was signed or not.

• LMN, he shaved…..maybe thats why he looks skinny!

Oh yeah…..he’s not wearing pads either!

😉

• I asked you a question a few times, let me try again…

do you google your knowledge or have you studied medicine?

• Blackmamba_20 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Oakland Raiders 2012 draft picks:

1st round: Traded to Bengals for Carson Palmer

2nd round: Traded to Patriots for 2011 3rd- and 4th-rd picks

3rd round: Exercised in 2011 supplemental draft (Terrelle Pryor)

4th round: Traded to Redskins for Jason Campbell

5th round: Still own pick

6th round: Still own pick

7th round: Traded to Seahawks for Aaron Curry

Of course, the Raiders should get some relief. They are expected to be assigned two or three comp picks next spring. They will receive picks for the free-agent losses of players such as Nnamdi Asomugha, Zach Miller and Robert Gallery. The comp-pick process is a complicated formula based on play time and performance.

Still, it wouldn’t be a shock if the Raiders get the top comp pick of the 2012 draft. That would be No. 97, at the end of the third round.

BTW, that 2nd rounder to the Patriots was parlayed into Barksdale and Taiwan. Each has shown enough to say that at least one will pan out at 2nd round pick value, if not both. And we get them a year early, which is value add.

• 281.Iron Wood Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:02 pm
    First time poster. Just a shout to everybody. Did Hue have to mortgage the farm or what. But aint that the way farmin goes. HueJack still the man.

So let me get this right:

HueJack = GM and Head Dog

Amy = President and CEO

Mark = Owner and Director of Football Operations

Sweet ass darlin, we ready to fly.

*****************************************

Welcome aboard Iron Wood…this is one crazy board….right? lol

• mikedlopes

Soup has never thrown a fade or backshoulder 🙁

Look guys, Palmer could win games with his arm! We never had that option with Soup.

And Soup has been off all season, he has always just been managing to gather 100-200 yards. Many of which are screens or dump offs

People are going to lose to us in so many ways now, it makes me teary eyed thinking about it. Palmer brings us another level higher, and even if he just manages for now we upgraded a key position.

• JB

1st & 10 on the Raider 20. The opponents look across the LOS and see Palmer under center, DHB, Ford, D-Wow & Schillins all lined up in a 4 wide out and DMac in the backfield. What do they do?

A. call time out
    B. Drop all your backs to the 20 yard line
    C. Start back-peddling as quickly as possible

This is what opposing defenses will have to deal with. Alternately, they will also see Boss, Bush & Reece all viable weapons able to go all the way. This offense has the potential of being the scariest offense in the NFL. This offense will easily be equal to or better than any other one out there. They said Philly was the dream team. Who’d guess that it really was Oakland who had the dream team that just became a reality.

• autopalm77

He passed his physical without exception…He can make any throw that an NFL quarterback needs to make with velocity and pinpoint accuracy….The only problem is Mr. Davis won’t be there for his introduction to the Hall of Fame….!!!!

• La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Drexl, were do get your medicine info, something you studied for long time?
    =================
    Sorry LMN i missed this.

I only have the experience of a family member with sever back cramps. I had to pick up the prescription.

• TerrapinRaider

This price was kinda high but I’m still WOW’ing over the fact that we got Palmer. Holy sht! This is crazy man. I think the whole NFL took notice.

All that Charger asslickin’ …no more …its turning silent. hahaha.

• 317.La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:23 pm
    I asked you a question a few times, let me try again…

do you google your knowledge or have you studied medicine?

****************************************************

So the Twit was being sarcastic? lol

• RaiderLen

R8eray Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:23 pm
    LMN, he shaved…..maybe thats why he looks skinny!

Oh yeah…..he’s not wearing pads either!
    ——————————————
    Na… It looked like the lump of fat under his chin was smaller, and his face wasn’t as full.

Could be the “trickeration” of the camera, but he appeared thinner.

• Tjbwall

DearDhb,Ford,Schilens,Moore

…..you will now be introduced to the the streak/GO route next practice.You also no longer have to obtain your 100 yards on comebacks & slants

Welcome to the vertical passing game

• Tjbwall

Priesttj,

How dare you compare anything to marrying Halle Berry

So dissapointed

• La Milicia Negra Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:27 pm

r8eray Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

LMN, he shaved…..maybe thats why he looks skinny!

Oh yeah…..he’s not wearing pads either!
    ________________________________________________________

it would look pretty stupid with pads in the face!

he clearly lost some pounds!

i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/10/18/cpx-large.jpg

cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07X42S9aH0bYn/439x.jpg

• TerrapinRaider

Palmer & Pryor. Wow! That’s Green Bay’s situation redux. We will be winning for a long time gents.

• djohnnyg

I think we know why there are a couple guys here that resent a person “like” Carson becoming our top QB.

Think about it.

• Sullivan44

Blackmamba_20 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Oakland Raiders 2012 draft picks:

1st round: Traded to Bengals for Carson Palmer

2nd round: Traded to Patriots for 2011 3rd- and 4th-rd picks

3rd round: Exercised in 2011 supplemental draft (Terrelle Pryor)

4th round: Traded to Redskins for Jason Campbell

5th round: Still own pick

6th round: Still own pick

7th round: Traded to Seahawks for Aaron Curry

…………

It’s Mark Davis’s team!

Why do you care?

IF you had a business, would you let other people tell you how to run it?

(how does it feel?)

• Twocents

We have mortgaged our future on this trade and some people want instant gratification. Give Palmer a couple of weeks, that’s all I’m saying.

• Was that enough info for you LMN/Gold.

• DearDhb,Ford,Schilens,Moore

Welcome to the vertical passing game

And by the way, these routes require you to stay in bounds while making the catch, thus you should expect the throws — and I know this is a new concept to you — to target a yard to the *inside* of the sideline from now on.

• KoolKell Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I hear they wanted Palmer to have Tommy John surgery, 2 years back.

I also hear his arm ain’t what it used to be.

Hue Jackson… “We wouldnt make a deal like this if we thought that he wasnt 100 percent healthy, were expecting the guy who was the #1 pick in 03 “

• Goldie7 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

317.La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:23 pm
    I asked you a question a few times, let me try again…

do you google your knowledge or have you studied medicine?

****************************************************

So the Twit was being sarcastic? lol
    ______________________________________________________

I dont know, but he clearly got the answer wrong!

Most common uses of ibuprofen

Fever
    Inflammation
    Headache
    Toothache
    Back pain
    Arthritis, including juvenile arthritis
    Menstrual main
    Minor injuries

it took me 5 seconds to find it, furthermore I knew Ibuprofen works, my doctor ordered when my arm effed up!

• LTR

The NFL just got a wake up call. Between DMac, Palmer/ our WR’s, Boss and hue’s playcalling (reverses and trick plays), we are going to be tough to defend, if not impossible.

• Tjbwall

Zymurge Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:30 pm
    DearDhb,Ford,Schilens,Moore

Welcome to the vertical passing game

===============================================================

lol

How about that Boller to Schilens connection Sunday?
    I’d like to see chaz on some fades in the endzone(if his knees so desire)

• aig-raiders

We won with Kyle Boller last week. The only time we felt the game was in danger was after the onside kick. We will do just fine this weekend with Kyle Boller or Mad Bomber III.

• Kirk

321.JB Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:25 pm

A. call time out
    B. Drop all your backs to the 20 yard line
    C. Start back-peddling as quickly as possible

……………………………………….

The Greatest Show on Turf.

• Whats a Drexl? Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Drexl, were do get your medicine info, something you studied for long time?
    =================
    Sorry LMN i missed this.

_______________________________________________________

its all good, if I have it for a a few days I might go to doctor, but I obviously cant now. Furthermore Valium you recommended, is a severe drug here, so I need a prescription to get that stuff. Ibuprofen I got, they get the job done – well mostly.

• KoolKell Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I hear they wanted Palmer to have Tommy John surgery, 2 years back.

I also hear his arm ain’t what it used to be.
    …..
    On Tuesday morning, Shutdown Corner spoke with Travelle Gaines of Athletes Performance in Carson, Calif., where Palmer has been working out for months. As it turns out, Gaines — who also works with the Raiders in an advisory capacity — was the man the Raiders leaned on to find out what kind of football shape Palmer was in. “He looks great — he’s been throwing every day, and working with Ken O’Brien, the quarterbacks coach,” Gaines said. “He’s been throwing to his good buddy T.J. Houshmandzadeh(notes), working with Terrell Owens(notes) and Hank Baskett(notes). He looks great. I think he’ll be ready to go and step right in for the Raiders. He and Coach Jackson have worked together in the past, and they have a great relationship.”

Gaines has built up one of the more impressive NFL clienteles as a conditioning coach over the years, and the Raiders asked him to join their staff to play a similar role in the 2011 offseason. That paid dividends when the team starting doing due diligence on Palmer’s ability … and availability. “Coach Jackson leaned on me heavily through this process, and they definitely kept tabs on him,” Gaines said of Palmer.

• 337.La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:31 pm
    Goldie7 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

317.La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:23 pm
    I asked you a question a few times, let me try again…

do you google your knowledge or have you studied medicine?

****************************************************

So the Twit was being sarcastic? lol
    ______________________________________________________

I dont know, but he clearly got the answer wrong!

Most common uses of ibuprofen

Fever
    Inflammation
    Headache
    Toothache
    Back pain
    Arthritis, including juvenile arthritis
    Menstrual main
    Minor injuries

****************************************

Good one La Milicia. lol:)

• Raider_D

I was listening to Jay Glazer talk about this some and I have to agree. While fans of teams that have solid QBs will look at this and scream we got robbed and paid too much fans of teams that don’t have a solid QB will say yeah you have to pay the price to get that guy on your team.

Is the price of a 1 and a 2 (possibly 2 1’s) high.. Hell yeah it is but with a player coming out of college thats never played a down in the NFL you never know what youre going to get. With Palmer who admittedly has had a couple rough seasons you at least have a gauge of the quality of player he is and how he will react while playing in the NFL.

• 🙂

• HueKnows

Whats A Drexl? Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:26 pm
    La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Drexl, were do get your medicine info, something you studied for long time?
    =================
    Sorry LMN i missed this.

*************************************************
    As far I know neuromuscular blockers (ex. valium) are not as effective as non-steriodal anti inflammatory drugs (two of which are aspirin and ibuprofen) especially when not used in conjunction with nsaids. Valium especially produces sedation in the amounts needed to reduce muscle tone. Baclofen would be and is the one I use while staying wide awake.

• djohnnyg

First major news conference without Al Davis.

Hue is an excellent face of this franchise. Professional, doesn’t take any crap…

I like the way he comports himself.

• Anyone, why is this news? Go Hue!