DT Seymour, former Raiders QB Gannon on Palmer trade

Here’s the transcript of an interview conducted by former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon with Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour today on SiriusXM NFL Radio:

Gannon: “Let’s start with [Bengals owner] Mike Brown first and foremost. You know, he gets a lot of criticism for the way he’s run that organization over the years but he does come out, in this situation, like a genius. I mean, I think he showed great patience, he rolled the dice in a big way, had teams not lost quarterbacks or had a real need, maybe Carson Palmer would’ve sat the entire year. I think he kinda dug his feet into the ground and said, ‘Hey listen, here’s how we’re going to do this thing, we’re not going to deal Palmer.’ I think he sent that message out right up to the trade deadline. It’s a game of kind of Russian Roulette and it worked out well for him. To think they could pick up a first rounder this year, a potential first round or second round pick next year, I mean, what a great deal for the Bengals.”

Gannon: “Now, on the flipside, let’s look at it from the Oakland Raiders’ perspective. [Head coach] Hue Jackson goes back with Carson Palmer a long, long way. They were together at USC when Carson was in college, they were together in Cincinnati, they have a very close relationship. My sense is that they were probably talking along the way. I’m sure Carson’s reached out to him for advice. I’m not so sure that Hue Jackson was convinced or sold on Jason Campbell. I think that was an Al Davis deal. Hue was doing the best he could. I think when Jason went down this opened up the door [to the] the possibility that they could do something with Carson. I think they got together as a staff, as an organization and said, ‘Let’s put our best foot forward and let’s see if we can address the quarterback situation for awhile.’ If they bring in Carson Palmer that’s it for Jason Campbell. You’re looking at Carson being the starting quarterback there for the next half dozen years. He is 31 years old, some people feel like his best days are behind him, but you look at what the Raiders gave up, not much of a draft left in 2012. The first four picks are all gone; they only have a 5 and a 6 left. I know there was some talk about they explored the possibility of a potential trade with Philadelphia for Vince Young. In my opinion, this is a much better deal for the Raiders. They get Carson Palmer, he can step in there and start tomorrow, he understands the system. I think this is great news if you’re a Raiders fan.”

Seymour then joins Gannon and his co-host Adam Schein on SiriusXM NFL Radio today to discuss the Palmer trade:

Seymour: “One thing that I can take from Carson is just him being a field general out on the field and his leadership ability to get some interesting guys together and try to get them all on the same page. I really remember him being out on the field and, in a sense, directing traffic, getting guys lined up and putting them in the right position. Obviously, it’ll be a learning curve for him because he hasn’t played football in awhile but I’m excited to have a leader on that side of the ball of his caliber. Anytime you have an opportunity to acquire someone of Carson’s pedigree I don’t think it’s something that you can pass up on. When you look at it, Carson and Hue Jackson’s days, they go back to USC when Carson was the Heisman Trophy winner, the first pick in the NFL Draft and a Pro Bowl quarterback. Just with that pedigree alone I think it brings a lot to what we’re trying to do and I think it’s also a statement from the Raiders in terms of the commitment to excellence. This is just another key ingredient to what we’re trying to accomplish.”

Seymour: “We’re going to welcome Carson in with open arms and have him be a part of the commitment to excellence here. I think this move was just another example of the Raiders’ commitment to excellence.”

On Jason Campbell:

Gannon: “I know this a part of the business but you’ve got to feel bad for Jason Campbell. I know he’s worked so hard at this. I thought he showed great leadership, along with yourself in the offseason, getting the players together to work out. What are your thoughts on what he’s going through right now?”

Seymour: “It has to be tough for him. Jason is a guy I have a ton of respect for. He’s one of the first guys into the building and one of the last to leave. He’s a total team player. Whatever is best for everybody, not necessarily what’s best for Jason, is what he’s all about. You can never have enough guys like that on your team. He obviously got the receivers together to get their timing down in the offseason. So Jason’s still going to be a leader for us and you never know when your number is going to be called in this business again.”

On the cost of acquiring Palmer:

Schein: “You’re a player. You want to win a Super Bowl right now, you want to make the playoffs right now. Do you care about the future necessarily in terms of trading all these draft picks? I’m asking you these questions because it’s part of the story here when you take a look at giving up all the draft picks for next year, when you look at Carson and Pryor and Campbell, you know, you guys don’t have a draft. You came from a place (New England) where they live for the Draft and they were successful stockpiling in the NFL Draft. Does that concern you?”

Seymour: “Well, in my eyes, back when I won the Super Bowl, we won the Super Bowl in 2004. It’s 2011 now so you can have as many Draft picks as you want to and say, ‘I have a good team,’ but at the end of the day, you know, the Packers are the only team that at the end of the day say, ‘Hey, we got it done.’ Obviously, you want to make smart business decisions in everything that you do. I mean, there was a lot of ‘Should they do it or shouldn’t they do it?’ in the process of picking me so it’s always going to be both sides of the spectrum. But at the end of the day it’s what that player does when he gets there that decides: Was it a good deal or wasn’t it a good deal? So, you know, it still remains to be seen. That chapter is still open.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• Jebus christ! what happen in the NFL in the 80’s??? all those players around 50 dies right now, they must have been doped crazy back then!

• HueKnows

However Baclofen ^

• Bcz24 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:22 pm
    Did we pick up Shephard or not? Haven’t seen this anywhere but here…
    ************
    It was reported by a few people on Twitter that he was in for a workout. No word if he was signed or not.

::::::::::

I was told a locker was being set up for him. Looks like that is on hold until after tomorrows practice. I think Hue needs to do a lil compare and contrast Lito to a couple players now on the roster. We got another DB to look at tomorrow. Lito may be asked to play FS so Huff can move to CB more often.

• Coach Jackson musta had some big focking man sized man balls to pull this schit off. HueJax went after it and got it done. Hell yeah. We know who controls the ass on this team now. Mark and Amy are rubber stamp/sign the check/spectators as HueJax builds that bully!

• Soma, Norco, and 211 work well too.

• 504 Raider

SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 4:15 pm
    You guys trashing JC after what he has done for the stability and SANITY for THIS team is just plain wrong. All joking aside, just wrong. JC was poised to get this team playoff bound and it was him that had to help alon the DHBs and Fords etc. Provided leadership and a role model on a team that SORELY needed one.

Just shows that life will throw some big time curves ones way. To go from leading a real resurgance for a storied franchise, playoffs and more and a new contract to NOTHING!

You all need a touch of class! I was honored to see JC live last week fight it out! Nothing but respect for the man!

————————————————————————————————————–

You make a great point SnB. JCamp laid it on the line for us. His first slide looked just like all his other girly slides and I yelled out there he goes again with that bullcrap slide 4 yds short of the marker…. Somebody must have mentioned it to him on the sideline during the punt because his very next opportunity he goes in head first like a man and gets his clavicle cracked. Had he been the softee he was he would be our QB today and thus no Palmer.

Things happen for a reason and we now have Palmer. It’s just tough luck for JCamp. One play and we get two breaks: Campbell’s and Palmer.

• davidon
  • Raiders will mop the field with KC’s ass in tow next sunday. And after they mop the field with they asses, they’ll proceed to butt-plug said asses to ease the pain for the flight home. And the wont be stain the seats on the bus and the plane cuz those butt-pluggs will do the trick. KC will enjoy the plugg, they be lookin forward to it.

Raiders 38
    KC 3

• Kirk

Hue, Mark, and Amy are doing a great job!

First we change defensive philosophies and stop the run two games in a row.

Then we make two great trades for Curry and Palmer.

And the fake kick was awesome!

I especially like Sea Bass moving into position to pass block for Lechler.

• HueKnows

The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:46 pm
    Soma, Norco, and 211 work well too.
    *****************************
    Soma and Norco kind of f you up and cause drowsiness. However I used to take them for fun. 211 is pretty good stuff but that is what my garden is for.

• HueKnows Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Whats A Drexl? Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:26 pm
    La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Drexl, were do get your medicine info, something you studied for long time?
    =================
    Sorry LMN i missed this.

I only have the experience of a family member with sever back cramps. I had to pick up the prescription.
    *************************************************
    As far I know neuromuscular blockers (ex. valium) are not as effective as non-steriodal anti inflammatory drugs (two of which are aspirin and ibuprofen) especially when not used in conjunction with nsaids. Valium especially produces sedation in the amounts needed to reduce muscle tone. Baclofen would be and is the one I use while staying wide awake.
    _______________________________________________________

again, Im not saying he isnt right, im just sayin ibuprofen DOES work, maybe not as good as all the other stuff you guys a mentioning, but thats pretty obvious.

Obvious because it a prescription drug, why is it that, because its a stronger drug! tah dah

I use what I got, because I obviously cant go to the doctor right now, and obviously the apotheque isnt an option either

• HueKnows

The o-line definitely has their work cut out for them protecting the future.

• Al produced and left behind a three headed beast in Hue, Amy and Mark. Al knew what he was doing all along. Code Black.

• HueKnows

______________________________________________________
    I’m agreeing with you NSAIDS (aspirin )work on a different more appropriate mechanism (blocking nicotinic receptors).

• Pretty Rick

Wasn’t originally doing cartwheels over the trade considering what we gave up for him, but I look at this team and the the only hole I see is at DT. The O-line has been addressed,, wr has been addressed,,cb has been addressed,, LB has been addressed,,Rb (obviously),,,I think we may be able to use our very few late rnd picks to find some quality DTs,,the Qb looks to be filled with Carson Palmer while T. Pryor learns behind him (he’s only 20). We may be set to make a serious run. That being said,,Carson Palmer doesn’t get a pass for quiting on his former team (Randy Moss) so I wanna see him man up in Oakland. I’m on board. Don’t let us down Carson. Remember,,,Carson, not JaCarson,,just Carson.

Building a Football Team

• HueKnows

Maybe Al left instructions in case JC went down.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Turns out the 2nd rounder only becomes a 1st rounder if the Raiders make the AFC Championship game.

Ok, that makes the trade balanced. Basically for the Raiders to get that far, Palmer has to be playing at the highest level….which would be the only way you give up TWO 1st rounders.

So I am cool with the deal. I am hopeful that Carson Palmer’s arm etc…are as lively as it was when he was at the top of his game.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

But unlike the lot of you…I am not tossing JC under the bus after what he did for this franchise the last 18 games

• Kirk

363.Big Honkin Balls Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:51 pm

…………………………………………..

Now all we need is a good GM to work with them.

Man, that Cinci GM Mike Brown sure is a d!ck.

No wonder Palmer wanted out of that place.

He looks like the Bond villian Blofeld!

• Blackmamba_20

332.Sullivan44 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:29 pm
    Blackmamba_20 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Oakland Raiders 2012 draft picks:

1st round: Traded to Bengals for Carson Palmer

2nd round: Traded to Patriots for 2011 3rd- and 4th-rd picks

3rd round: Exercised in 2011 supplemental draft (Terrelle Pryor)

4th round: Traded to Redskins for Jason Campbell

5th round: Still own pick

6th round: Still own pick

7th round: Traded to Seahawks for Aaron Curry

…………

It’s Mark Davis’s team!

Why do you care?

IF you had a business, would you let other people tell you how to run it?

(how does it feel?)

————–

what are you talking about ?? thats a copy straight off ESPN … Whats the point your trying to make PAL

• HueKnows

@367 that is good to hear. I thought it was if we just made the playoffs.

• JR77

I personally give Carson a pass…he never quit on his teamates ala Randy, he gave it all he had while on the field….reason I give him a pass, these are the bungholes
    Randy quit on the field and then actually admitted it when he proclaimed “I play when I wanna play”

• Pretty Rick

Post 368,,,Ditto!

• Blackmamba_20

Oii Sullivan you square, what was your point !!

• HueKnows Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:55 pm

______________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________

way too technical terms for me =) sorry but that stuff is all greek to me =)

and nothing I can do, the clock is 4:00 AM, so no doctors and no apotheque, but I got my ibuprofen, btw I hate aspirin, weird if its the same!!?!?

you write, blocking the nocotinic receptors, does that mean smoking a cigarette is like sticking your tongue out the window??

• Sullivan44

So, who won the ibuprofen/muscle relaxer debate?

• Sullivan44

Oh, still going.

• Sullivan44

Blackmamba, remember when people used to criticize Al’s decisions regarding long term contracts, cap, what have you, and people would say, “it’s his team. It’s not your money, it’s his. He can do what he wants”?

Well, now I’m saying the same thing regarding Mark Davis and this deal. It’s his money. Butt out.

• Kirk Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

363.Big Honkin Balls Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:51 pm

…………………………………………..

Now all we need is a good GM to work with them.

Man, that Cinci GM Mike Brown sure is a d!ck.

No wonder Palmer wanted out of that place.

He looks like the Bond villian Blofeld!
    _______________________________________________________

I think Amy was behind this deal! there were reports yesterday that Hue Jackson’s relationship with the bengals was to hinder of the deal, had any other been our HC it would have happened earlier! I really think sympathy for Al and good work from Amy pulled this deal home!

• Pretty Rick

Jr77,,he did quit though,,he did by not going back on the field. He basically took his ball and went home by saying I don’t wanna play for the Bengals anymore. Just think if he had done that with us,,he wouldve gotten ran outa Oakland. I understand him wanting outa there but he still had a job to do. But like Randy he’s been given a 2nd chance so I hope he makes the best of it. I think we both can agree on that. I still got much respect for JC, but I can’t wait to see if Palmer can bring us back into the playoffs.

• Sullivan44 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 7:07 pm

So, who won the ibuprofen/muscle relaxer debate?
    _______________________________________________________

I think it turned out that we were all fighting the same match, with no opponent.. some were just saying you need bigger gloves, some said those are fine, and lastly I said I hope they are fine, because its all i got!

Had I the bigger gloves I had used’em =)

• nicotinic blockers or not (whatever that is), Im going for a smoke!

• HueKnows

_________________________________________
    not quite but it might take your mind off the pain for a minute
    and Ibuprofen is similar to aspirin but less irritating to the upper digestive track

• HueKnows

tract ^

• JR77

Pretty Rick….never would have quit under Al’s watch, especially given his USC roots, big arm and on field production…there is also behind the scenes stuff we will never hear about…who knows cincinnati was a 3 ring circus for a reason

• HueKnows

When’s the next Sullivan roast?

• Sullivan44

People are making too much of the long term cost of this. Very few first round draft picks pan out anyway. Always possibilities for trades between free agency and draft, where draft picks can be obtained. The only real long term effect is cap. But we need a QB. Even if Campbell was good (he’s not), we’d need someone now. Boller is OK but I don’t think he’s even in Palmer’s league. If we go with Boller we run the risk of letting this great season fall apart. This really had to be done. And the only true long term cost is cap space, but that can always be worked out, too. So just STFU and be happy. We’re in such a good position right now it’s not even funny.

• Blackmamba_20

378.Sullivan44 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 7:10 pm

———-

really in attempt to be a wise cracking smart a@@ your still making no sense to why you copied part of my post, which was a ESPN breakdown of next years pick i copy and pasted for this blogs review..Clown

• Kirk

380.Pretty Rick Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 7:11 pm

…………………………………………..

Thank God, Palmer wanted out of there.

If not, Boller would be our starter for the next two months.

• Seymour Bush

HueKnows Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 7:20 pm

When’s the next Sullivan roast?
    =========================================

Starts right now. Hit the ignore button and see what happens.

• Blackmamba_20

sullivan i love all the trades and picks given to make them, i posted that list as a break down from ESPN so we could discuss pros and cons, so you STFU Dawg

• What’s up video boys?

• HueKnows

Sullivan is such a p*ssy he uses a litter box.

• JR77

Sullivan’s mom is a gold member on cougarlife.com

• Seymour Bush

Raider_D Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I was listening to Jay Glazer talk about this some and I have to agree. While fans of teams that have solid QBs will look at this and scream we got robbed and paid too much fans of teams that don’t have a solid QB will say yeah you have to pay the price to get that guy on your team.

Is the price of a 1 and a 2 (possibly 2 1’s) high.. Hell yeah it is but with a player coming out of college thats never played a down in the NFL you never know what youre going to get. With Palmer who admittedly has had a couple rough seasons you at least have a gauge of the quality of player he is and how he will react while playing in the NFL.
    ===========================================

This post is exactly right. Getting Palmer for what we paid is a bargain. Paying what we paid for Jacarcass was a rip.

• HueKnows Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:49 pm
    The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:46 pm
    Soma, Norco, and 211 work well too.
    *****************************

::::::::::

Ambien and Percocet work well too.

• El Gato Negro

Is anyone concerned that this might turn into Kerry Collins 2.0? I’m not and love this trade, but the thought suddenly occurred to me…

• HueKnows

Sullivan is so annoying he is the reason God created the middle finger.

• Sullivan44 Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 7:20 pm

______________________________________________________

I totally agree!

right now we use the same tactic on draft picks as Al has done for years on the cap-problem…

we pay for todays problem next year! we pay today salaries next year, and now we get our players today with next years pick..

if it pans out, no problem! if it doesnt its just like picking a JaMarcus in 1st round.. so its no biggy, in fact I see it as we have an upper hand!

• RaiderRetribution

Raiders are deep, young, and talented at every unit, now we have a franchise qb:

Oline, Vehldeer, Wisniewski, Satele, Campbell, Carlisle, Barnes, Barksdale, and Heyer

Dline; Seymour, Shaughnessy, Kelly, Houston, Bryant, Scott, Moss, Henderson

LB; McClain, Wimbley, (now) Curry, Groves and Blackstock

RB; McFadden, Bush, Reece, Jones, Cartwright, Tonga

WRs six deep, good hands, fast

kicking game second to none

Last thing we need is a first round draft pick ,

Only need a franchise qb,

Now the Raiders have “it.”